Rugby 2017 Discussion

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Nothing worse than a drawn test match. I want to see a winner. I could even handle Australia losing in extra time if that's how we get a winner. Such a flat way for Australia to retain the Mandela Plate, but i'll take it. Not sure either side deserved to win so maybe a draw was a fair result. Surprise, surprise Cheika had a crack at the officiating.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I really hope media outlets covering the Springboks vs All Blacks match don't give it the big build like the last one. Sky Sport NZ built up the match in Albany to the point where one would have expected a nail biter, instead there was an annihilation. AB's by 20+ opening the door for Australia to win the battle for 2nd should they beat Argentina in Mendoza in the 2nd game.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I really hope media outlets covering the Springboks vs All Blacks match don't give it the big build like the last one. Sky Sport NZ built up the match in Albany to the point where one would have expected a nail biter, instead there was an annihilation. AB's by 20+ opening the door for Australia to win the battle for 2nd should they beat Argentina in Mendoza in the 2nd game.
Won t be close.

South African rugby have shot themselves in the foot by having this game in Cape Town.

Basically an All Blacks home game
with no altitude.

diarm

Scrappy start to O'Classico so far. Leinster look a little sharper but not by much. Great win at scrumtime for Munster there though - I was worried about our set piece with Holland and Copeland starting at lock.

diarm

Earls you genius!

Edit: Feck. No it was pulled back for a forward pass.

freeurmind

weak willed
What a game. Crazy refereeing. Red card was a joke, was barely a pen. Marx was immense, so was Reid. Really great atmosphere.

freeurmind

weak willed
Good game going in Mendoza in front of a packed house. Argentina leading 10-8.

freeurmind

weak willed
Every commentator and sports journalist here in NZ thinks that red card was a joke
It had no effect on the outcome in the end but it was such a strange decision. Disappointed the Boks couldn't see it out, Pollard is injured again. Dreyer, Kriel and Leyds should all be dropped for Nyakane, Peterson and van Rensburg.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Great to see a close game between the Springboks and the All Blacks again. For me, nothing beats a close, epic struggle between those two. I enjoy epic matches between the Boks and the All Blacks more than close Bledisloe's due to a lack of emotional investment in the outcome. Close Bledisloe's are to be endured and only enjoyed if the Wallabies win.

Even when the Boks hit the lead, i always expected the All Blacks to bounce back. I'm usually one to give man of the match to a player from the winning team but Malcolm Marx was the best player on the field for me. The red card was a case of wrong colour but it was only going to matter if the game into an 86th minute or something. Penalty and yellow for me but Mr Garces had other ideas. I said the AB's would win by 20+ and i'm glad i was wrong.

Hopefully next years tournament is a close run thing. Not holding my breath on that but a lot can happen between now and August 2018. Opening the tournament with back to back Bledisloe Cup matches will be tough for Australia but the ARU wanted that and you reap what you sow. Wallabies improved as the tournament went on and it's such a shame they'll look back on the first two Blediloe's with a sense of what might have been.

diarm

Jake White advocating for the abolishment of the Rugby Championship and the Six Nations.

https://www.alloutrugby.com/jake-time-to-bin-rugby-championship/
I agree with some of his points but he's talking nonsense about England and Ireland only playing 2nd tier nations outside the 6 nations. Ireland played Japan and the US this summer because our best players were all away with the Lions.

But before that, we've played South Africa four times, NZ twice and Australia twice in our last 10 summer/autumn internationals. Beating Oz both times, SA twice and NZ once is the reason we're top 3 in the world. Not because we only win against weaker sides.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Jake White advocating for the abolishment of the Rugby Championship and the Six Nations.

https://www.alloutrugby.com/jake-time-to-bin-rugby-championship/
I can't agree with Jake White there. The Six Nations is fine with Italy's struggles the only real dampener. The Rugby Championship badly needs Australia and South Africa to improve and not just start challenging the All Blacks but beat them with some regularity. The last two tournaments have been too predictable really.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Australia and Ulster star Christian Lealiifano opens up to BT Sport's Sarra Elgan about his emotional return to the rugby field after recovering from leukaemia.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Confirmed
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/1011/911592-van-graan-appointed-munster-head-coach/

Johann van Graan will take over as head coach of Munster in November after signing a two-and-a-half year contract with the province.

Van Graan joins from his role as South Africa forwards coach, where he played a key role in developing the forwards and attack for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

In 2009 and 2010 he secured Super Rugby honours with the Bulls, as forwards and attack coach.

Van Graan said: "I am immensely excited and honoured to join Munster and to be part of a Club with a unique ethos and history dating back 138 years to 1879.

"Some of the words I associate with Munster Rugby are passion, excellence, ambition and integrity, and I feel very fortunate to be handed this opportunity.

"I am looking forward to working with the Munster players, support staff and supporters on this new journey, and to become part of their community."

The appointment means a restructuring of the coaching ticket at Munster, with van Graan taking on the same responsibilities as Rassie Erasmus.

He will work at first alongside Erasmus, subject to work permits, which the province hopes will be attained by mid-November to ensure a seamless transition.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Anyone catch any of the games over the weekend?
I saw Ulster get the better of Wasps after a first half that wasn't great.I'll admit i watched that game mainly hoping to see Cristian Lealiifano play well and he almost scored a try. Leinster did well to beat a Montpellier team that didn't play to their potential. That's not to downplay Leinster who deserved their win but Montpellier is capable of better than what they served up. La Rochelle scored some nice tries in their 34-27 win vs Harlequins. I missed most of the Northampton Saracens match but it didn't matter because the highlights made it look like a replica of their meeting on the first weekend of the Aviva Premiership season.

Backrow Singer

I saw Ulster get the better of Wasps after a first half that wasn't great.I'll admit i watched that game mainly hoping to see Cristian Lealiifano play well and he almost scored a try. Leinster did well to beat a Montpellier team that didn't play to their potential. That's not to downplay Leinster who deserved their win but Montpellier is capable of better than what they served up. La Rochelle scored some nice tries in their 34-27 win vs Harlequins. I missed most of the Northampton Saracens match but it didn't matter because the highlights made it look like a replica of their meeting on the first weekend of the Aviva Premiership season.
I didn't see any of Saturday's games but the Ulster - Wasps game was a bit scrappy with Ulster pulling away late on. Pretty similar to Castres v Munster in different conditions, too many dropped balls and penalties around the ruck.

Saracens look quality again this year. Their forwards blew Northampton away and Farrell dominated out the back. Liam Williams showed his class as well. I doubt Northampton will be the only team they put 50 + on.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia 23 New Zealand 18. First win vs NZ in over two years after 7 straight defeats, 6 of which were by more than 15 points.

Dan

A picture of Scott Baldwin’s hand after the lion bite.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Big shock; Simon Zebo to leave Munster at the end of the season. Probably marks the end of his Ireland career too.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Big shock; Simon Zebo to leave Munster at the end of the season. Probably marks the end of his Ireland career too.

I was very surprised to read he's not on a central contract. Big test of the selection system if he ends up being on fire for some French club.

diarm

To be honest I always felt as though he'd leave at some stage. He's a massive draw in France with his connections through his dad and will be offered massive money there. Always felt like he had to work harder than others to get international recognition as well so you can't blame the lad for looking out for himself.

At least he's leaving at a time we have some real talent in our back 3. He'll be a big loss but lads like Sweetnam, Earls, Conway, Wooton and O'Mahony are excellent players.

There have also been murmurings of Mr O'Halloran moving south which make a bit more sense now.

diarm

Yeah I don't like the idea of stealing players from Connacht really. If we're going to bring someone in from the west, I'd prefer it was one of our own returning. There's a hole the shape of a rampaging Kerryman in our second row which needs filling!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Fair play!
Cheers. I expected Australia to blow it when they were leading 23-18 with two minutes to go but thankfully Sam Cane knocked the ball on and the game was over. It's one win though, and Australia has to find a way to beat New Zealand twice a year, not just once. Beating them twice a year will be made more difficult by the fact the next time Australia hosts two Bledisloe tests a year will be in 2020. Australia tends to play against New Zealand in Brisbane and 2020 is the next Brisbane hosts a Bledisloe test.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Cheers. I expected Australia to blow it when they were leading 23-18 with two minutes to go but thankfully Sam Cane knocked the ball on and the game was over. It's one win though, and Australia has to find a way to beat New Zealand twice a year, not just once. Beating them twice a year will be made more difficult by the fact the next time Australia hosts two Bledisloe tests a year will be in 2020. Australia tends to play against New Zealand in Brisbane and 2020 is the next Brisbane hosts a Bledisloe test.
Same as everyone else though. Hate to ask, but was there any dead rubber effect to this? I know that's highly unlikely given how competitive this fixture is.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Same as everyone else though. Hate to ask, but was there any dead rubber effect to this? I know that's highly unlikely given how competitive this fixture is.
Players, coaches and the media would say that there's no such thing as a dead rubber but i do think the All Blacks would have played better if the Bledisloe Cup was on the line, so i'd say the dead rubber element can't be completely ignored. Plus, Australia badly needed to win after 7 straight losses to NZ and the tough year Aussie rugby has endured.

Next Bledisloe though, fitness and form permitting, the All Blacks will have Joe Moody, Ben Franks, Brodie Retallick and Ben Smith all playing for them which wasn't the case on Saturday.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Commiserations to @diarm, but I'm thrilled tonight... I was only able to watch the last 20mins, but that was fantastic for Connacht tonight. It's been a rotten season so far but the signs have been better lately and in a week where I learn that TOH is on the Munster radar, it's fantastic to get one over them. Hopeful that they'll carry on now from that.

diarm

Commiserations to @diarm, but I'm thrilled tonight... I was only able to watch the last 20mins, but that was fantastic for Connacht tonight. It's been a rotten season so far but the signs have been better lately and in a week where I learn that TOH is on the Munster radar, it's fantastic to get one over them. Hopeful that they'll carry on now from that.
Connacht were well worth the win in fairness. We started the game well but our work rate didn't match the Weshties and we made too many mistakes. That was the strongest Munster side we've fielded all season as well.

Thought the Connacht front row, Dillane, Butler, Muldoon, Aki, Leader, O'Halloran and Kelleher were superb. O'Halloran not being in the Ireland squad is an absolute farce at this stage.

For us I thought Killer, Marshall, O'Mahony and Stander had poor games by their standards. Our lineout was a shambles and the backline mixed some good stuff with some brainless errors. We were lucky enough still to be in the game before the red card - afterwards we were never going to stay in it.

DenisIrwin

I'm sad to say I no longer think Damien McKenzie is going to be the player I hoped he'd be. Talented, but a bit too small for rugby these days.