g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rugby 2019 Discussion

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I watched the SA NZ game and one of the Kiwi's appeared to tackle the junior Springboks scrumhalf late, with no arms, contact to the chin with force. The Aussie ref looked at the tackle on the big screen and deemed the tackle to be a penalty only so the crackdown isn't even consistent. The refs excuse was the shadow of the black jersey making it difficult to see where the 1st point of contact was.
I think the TMO needs to be given a bit more power. The way they have to dance around it at times is hilarious now. "Maybe you should take another look" etc

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Yep, his career path in management is progressing nicely, isn't it! I wonder would he be interested in international management at all if club level continues to go so well for him.
I expect Scott Robertson to be the next All Blacks coach and had felt O'Gara might be part of his coaching staff there but that's off the table now.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
@Xaviesta Munster have signed Stephen Larkham as a coach, what do you reckon?
It's an interesting appointment. He did a decent job with the Brumbies. He inherited a team that went very close to winning the 2013 title under Jake White, kept them top of the pile in Australia without really looking like winning the comp.

Considering the player he was, his team was never really defined by brilliant attacking play. It was a forward oriented style with the rolling maul being a key weapon in them scoring tries.

His tenure as Wallaby attack coach ended earlier this year. After Larkham departed the national set up, he mentioned that he and Cheika had 'philosophical differences'. The first year of his time in the role mirrored that of the team - relatively successful. In 2016 and 2017, the Wallaby attack looked good in fits and starts. Last year though, the attack was lateral, predictable and easy to read for the most part.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It's an interesting appointment. He did a decent job with the Brumbies. He inherited a team that went very close to winning the 2013 title under Jake White, kept them top of the pile in Australia without really looking like winning the comp.

Considering the player he was, his team was never really defined by brilliant attacking play. It was a forward oriented style with the rolling maul being a key weapon in them scoring tries.

His tenure as Wallaby attack coach ended earlier this year. After Larkham departed the national set up, he mentioned that he and Cheika had 'philosophical differences'. The first year of his time in the role mirrored that of the team - relatively successful. In 2016 and 2017, the Wallaby attack looked good in fits and starts. Last year though, the attack was lateral, predictable and easy to read for the most part.

A lot of the post sounds like Munster, for better or worse.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

From memory the only change that he made from Jake White's tactics was that the fullback was more willing to run with the ball, the rest was White's tactics not done as well. Do you agree?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
From memory the only change that he made from Jake White's tactics was that the fullback was more willing to run with the ball, the rest was White's tactics not done as well. Do you agree?
Pretty much. On another note, you must be chuffed with the recent form of the Chiefs. It was men against boys in Melbourne for them this weekend.

JPRouve

Scout
Pretty much. On another note, you must be chuffed with the recent form of the Chiefs. It was men against boys in Melbourne for them this weekend.
Dude, I don't even understand how one of the worst defenses I have ever seen turned into one of the best in the competition in a matter of weeks. They look like a Chiefs team again, not necessarily the best but a lot of spirit and flair. Funnily enough the same thing happened with Montpellier at the same time in Top 14, from terrible to almost unbeatable.:D

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Week one of the super rugby finals. Times listed are Australian times. If you're in the UK subtract 9 hours, France and SA subtract 8 hours.

diarm

Feck feck feck.

Munster draw Sarries, Racing and Ospreys in our Champions Cup pool for next year.

That's 3 of the top four teams over the last four years of the competition all drawn into the same pool.

Feck sake. Not even a good away trip to look forward. Saracens away is the worst weekend in the circuit, we've done Paris and Racing about twenty times in the last 5 years and Swansea is a complete kip.

Meanwhile Leinster draw a who's who of the scenic developmental teams recently promoted from the Challenge Cup.

Je suis pissed off.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Feck feck feck.

Munster draw Sarries, Racing and Ospreys in our Champions Cup pool for next year.

That's 3 of the top four teams over the last four years of the competition all drawn into the same pool.

Feck sake. Not even a good away trip to look forward. Saracens away is the worst weekend in the circuit, we've done Paris and Racing about twenty times in the last 5 years and Swansea is a complete kip.

Meanwhile Leinster draw a who's who of the scenic developmental teams recently promoted from the Challenge Cup.

Je suis pissed off.
Group of doom. Wow.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What were the main objections to this again, player overload?
Scotland and Ireland were worried about sustainability and vibrancy of the second division. Player workload was mentioned either late last year or earlier this year.

diarm

What were the main objections to this again, player overload?
Relegation for two years would financially cripple any of the major unions. It would be nice to bring a Georgia or a Fiji up towards financial parity but is it worth the risk of potentially bankrupting an Australia or an England?

There's also the argument that it devalues the Six Nations and is only a means for the financially viable home Nations and France to subsidise the financially unviable SH models.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Last edited:

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
If that video had a rock soundtrack, it'd honestly be one of those youtube blooper videos of people getting utterly crocked. Or that Aussie guy who does the Destination F**ked videos.

Loving Farrell being one of the example videos :lol:

That NZ double hit on the French lad is horrific.
Actually a really good video

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Israel Folau's idea of setting up a go fund me page as a way of raising funds ahead of his legal battle with Rugby Australia has not gone down well

freeurmind

weak willed
What a win for the Jaguares! If the Bulls lose tomorrow, I will definitely be rooting for them to win it all.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The final four of super rugby is set. All four home teams prevailed on quarter final weekend. We had two blowouts (Crusaders 38 Highlanders 14 & Brumbies 38 Sharks 13) and two close games (Jaguares 21 Chiefs 16, Hurricanes 35 Bulls 28).

Next Saturday, the Crusaders will host the Hurricanes in the 1st semi final in an all Kiwi affair, while the Brumbies will travel to Argentina to face the Jaguares Saturday night Argentinian time.

If the Crusaders win, the final will be in Christchurch. If the Hurricanes become the first away team to win a finals match in Christchurch to qualify for the final, the winner of the Jaguares vs Brumbies semi final will host the final on July 6.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The final four of super rugby is set. All four home teams prevailed, we had two blowouts (Crusaders 38 Highlanders 14 & Brumbies 38 Sharks 13), two close games (Jaguares 21 Chiefs 16, Hurricanes 35 Bulls 28).

Next Saturday, the Crusaders will host the Hurricanes in the 1st semi final in an all Kiwi affair, while the Brumbies will travel to Argentina to face the Jaguares Saturday night Argentinian time.

If the Crusaders win, the final will be in Christchurch. If the Hurricanes become the first away team to win a finals match in Christchurch to qualify for the final, the winner of the Jaguares vs Brumbies semi final will host the final on July 6.
That squire yellow really changed the match for the Crusaders. I still think they’d have been too strong for the Highlanders in the second half but the match was competitive up until his yellow (17-14 iirc), when the Crusaders forwards mauled over for 2 tries during his absence.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Super Rugby Semi-Finals 2019
Date Kickoff time Teams Venue

Sat Jun 29 Jaguares vs Brumbies Estadio José Amalfitani, Buenos Aires 9:05 AM*

Sat Jun Crusaders vs Hurricanes AMI Stadium, Christchurch 5:35 PM*

* times listed are Australian Eastern Standard Time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Israel Folau's idea of setting up a go fund me page as a way of raising funds ahead of his legal battle with Rugby Australia has not gone down well

GoFundMe have now shut his page down too.

freeurmind

weak willed
That kind of thing sets a dangerous precedent imo. We all agree that Folau's comments are reprehensible but I don't think people should be denying someone the chance to raise funds for a legal defense.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That kind of thing sets a dangerous precedent imo. We all agree that Folau's comments are reprehensible but I don't think people should be denying someone the chance to raise funds for a legal defense.
Once again, he can still raise funds if he wants. Just not through a private platform that doesn't share his views. This is exactly the same as the situation of the Australian rugby deciding they don't want to employ him anymore.

Plus he used the words "I'm in a fight for my life" on his page, on a website where people raise money for actual life-threatening situations.

diarm

The guy owns property worth $7mil. He's leeching money off idiot religious types who don't know any better.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Warren Gatland is the new coach of the Waikato Chiefs on a four year deal. He'll coach the Chiefs in 2020, 2022 and 2023 while sitting out the 2021 season to focus exclusively the British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa.

JPRouve

Scout
Warren Gatland is the new coach of the Waikato Chiefs on a four year deal. He'll coach the Chiefs in 2020, 2022 and 2023 while sitting out the 2021 season to focus exclusively the British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa.
I didn't check the news yet, so you are basically my version of Santa Claus.:D

JPRouve

Scout
Thoughts on the Gatland appointment and Colin Cooper stepping down?
Honestly, I'm happy. Cooper eventually did well this season but in my opinion he created the issues in the first place with strange selections in the backline, poor discipline last season and poor defensive organization, he fixed some of the issues when he was under massive pressure but the Chiefs shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. I also wouldn't be surprised to see less players leave for other NZ franchises.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Crusaders defeated the Hurricanes 30-26 in a wonderful match to earn hosting rights for the final, a shot at a 10th title which would be a third consecutive title after going 9 years without winning a super rugby title.