Rugby 2019 Discussion

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The Crusaders defeated the Hurricanes 30-26 in a wonderful match to earn hosting rights for the final, a shot at a 10th title which would be a third consecutive title after going 9 years without winning a super rugby title.

Super stuff. I've never seen that chest move to avoid a knock-on before, I can't believe it's allowed.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Also, i can't post a link but Dave Rennie is still reportedly Rugby Australia's number 1 choice to replace Michael Cheika after the World Cup. The spanner in the works here is that the NSW Waratahs apparently want Dave Rennie as their coach as well.

diarm

Jaguares doing really well, yet will end the half 10-3 down when it could have been 7-10. Cruel.
That was such a ruthless final move from Crusaders. Everyone expecting them to kick it out and they break up the field and steal 3 points after ten minutes of fruitless attack from the Jaguares. Those moments win trophies.

diarm

Is Pablo Matera the best 6 on the planet at the moment?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
People were complaining the Jaguares weren't good enough to play in Super Rugby, now the complaint is that they're too good? Let's be realistic, it's not sustainable to have 2 franchises in Argentina.
Nah, I take this as a tongue in cheek dig. I think what they've done is entirely the right thing and it's not so far off what the provinces are for here in Ireland. It's right that the national team benefit.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Jaguares badly needed to be in front at half time. That bombed try near the end of the 1st half cost them dearly. The Jaguares attack had its moments but their flyhalf, Diaz Bonilla, was too deep for their attack to work against a stout Crusaders defence.

I applauded Jaco Peyper for penalising Joe Moody in the first half (he should have been pinged before then) but the Crusaders scrum was such a weapon as the game went on.

Argentine rugby has become more positive with the ball, thanks in no small part to the two years Sir Graham Henry spent with the Argentine national team in 2012-13, but i feel as if their scrum and potency up front has been somewhat compromised by playing with more positivity on attack.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The Jaguares badly needed to be in front at half time. That bombed try near the end of the 1st half cost them dearly. The Jaguares attack had its moments but their flyhalf, Diaz Bonilla, was too deep for their attack to work against a stout Crusaders defence.

I applauded Jaco Peyper for penalising Joe Moody in the first half (he should have been pinged before then) but the Crusaders scrum was such a weapon as the game went on.

Argentine rugby has become more positive with the ball, thanks in no small part to the two years Sir Graham Henry spent with the Argentine national team in 2012-13, but i feel as if their scrum and potency up front has been somewhat compromised by playing with more positivity on attack.
Yup, it's a pity they've lost a traditional strength in the push to develop, but fair play to them for moving in this direction.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The rugby championship starts this weekend. South Africa and Australia will lock horns for the 50th time in Tri Nations/Rugby Championship history and you could argue it's rugby most underplayed and underrated rivalry. Of the previous 49 matches, the record stands at 23 wins each with 3 matches ending all square.

Both coaches have named their teams for this weekend's match at Ellis Park. The Springboks are targeting a win in New Zealand so they've named some players who won't be playing in New Zealand on July 27. The Wallabies have named what is near enough to a full strength team with the need of getting into the habit of winning ASAP.

This is also the 1st Wallaby team selected with Michael Cheika no longer the sole selector. Scott Johnson and Michael O'Connor, in my view have had some influence in that Kurtley Beale, a Cheika favourite is on the bench.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Argentina will be hoping this is the team that see the Pumas beat New Zealand for the very first time.

freeurmind

weak willed
great second half peformance. wish i wouldve gone now. bonus point might turn to be important. hopefully argentina can do something special later on

Thisistheone

Impressive win for SA considering the players missing. Got some real depth now. They will be a right handful for anyone come the World Cup

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Referee appointments for the pool stages of the World Cup. http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index.php?page=appointments&id=116

On the officiating note, Nic Berry from Australia has the All Blacks vs Springboks match in Wellington. It's the biggest fixture he can officiate I just hope he hasn't been the match a year or two before he's ready for it. Nigel Owens describes it as the hardest fixture in international rugby to referee.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
How has Kriel been playing?

Surprised hes on the bench.
He's been playing pretty well. I think Erasmus wants to see how Am and De Allende combine at 12&13. He'll get on the field at some point.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Full time in Wellington: New Zealand 16 South Africa 16, just the 4th draw between two of rugby's fiercest foes since 1921. I thought it would be close but maybe not to the point where both sides couldn't be split.

Last edited:

freeurmind

weak willed
I think the right result in the end. Boks were unfortunate to go in behind. ABs dominated the second half but no sustained pressure. Sets things up nicely for the last weekend.

diarm

Was working this morning so missed it but looks like a hell of a game. I miss Rassie at Munster - he's a serious operator.

The commentator in that video said this was the 98th meeting between the two sides. With the reverse fixture to come, that means a meeting late on in the World Cup would be their 100th game!

Traub

Was working this morning so missed it but looks like a hell of a game. I miss Rassie at Munster - he's a serious operator.

The commentator in that video said this was the 98th meeting between the two sides. With the reverse fixture to come, that means a meeting late on in the World Cup would be their 100th game!
Apparently 99th meeting in the World Cup pool, with the 100th potential being the final (or 3rd/4th playoff).

diarm

Apparently 99th meeting in the World Cup pool, with the 100th potential being the final (or 3rd/4th playoff).
Forgot they were in the same Pool! Hopefully they tear absolute strips out of each other because we'll meet one of them if we get out of ours!

Traub

Forgot they were in the same Pool! Hopefully they tear absolute strips out of each other because we'll meet one of them if we get out of ours!
I think it’ll be a cagey affair (like today) with neither team going all out. They should both be confident of getting to the final regardless of their final pool position

freeurmind

weak willed
Funny how sport can change so quickly. Feels like it was just yesterday we were losing to Italy and it seemed like the ABs would never lose again. Cheslin Kolbe was superb today. Aussies got a result just now, if they beat NZ next week and the Argentines do them a favour, they'd win the whole thing.

diarm

I think it’ll be a cagey affair (like today) with neither team going all out. They should both be confident of getting to the final regardless of their final pool position
The team who finished second in that group is likely to have to play a quarter final against Ireland and then a semi final against one of Australia, France or Argentina. To win this thing, we would have to beat SA, OZ and probably NZ 3 weeks in a row!

Don't think anyone should be feeling too confident this year. With NZ falling back towards the pack somewhat, this is probably the most open World Cup we've ever seen. Literally anyone from the top 8 sides could win it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia have beaten Argentina 16-10 in a bludger of a match but it did feature a lovely try by the Wallabies. The All Blacks up next for the Wallabies in Perth against an All Blacks team that isn't unbeatable.

Tonight was Christian Lealiifano's 1st test for 6 years after overcoming leukemia three years ago and looked very good while he was out there. The Wallaby attack wasn't as good when he went off and was replaced by Toomua.

Argentina, in their own backyard, blew it last week against an experimental All Blacks team, so I was somewhat confident we'd win. Argentina's scrum was weak just like the Jaguares scrum was in the super rugby final 3 weeks ago.

Last edited: