Rugby 2019 Discussion

Rooney1987

Ireland I think are 2 weeks behind England as they started a bit late due to last season, resting a few players and having some go off injured didn't help. Ireland have a pretty straight forward group so if they can get some form going in to QFs.

For England that back row Curry, Underhill and Billy V can be a formidable unit out at the WC. Curry is such a talent obviously I hope no one gets injured but outside of Billy Curry be the one player I wouldn't want to lose. To think he has a twin who imo isn't far off himself. EJ went back to Ford Farrell axis today which Im glad I hope he sticks with it. Itoje looked back to his best MOTM today wasn't Tuilagi who did have a decent game. 2 negatives, Youngs wasn't great which is frustrating as we only have Heinz as back up. The Daly at 15 just doesn't have it defensively, he's missed multiple tackles in these 3 games some cost us tries.

diarm

Weird way to report this news considering the source was the player himself who publicly announced that he had failed the test. He says he has requested that his B sample be tested and strenuously denies knowing anything about it. I'm usually sceptical of anyone in this situation but they way he has come out with the news himself seems more legit to me.

freeurmind

weak willed

No surprises then, with Kwagga getting the nod for the final loose forward spot.

Offsideagain

Man Utd is a monster. If he stays fit and sensible he is the key to unlocking rush defences. The Irish will come good, class is permanent etc and Sexton will be fit. Predictive text thinks Man Utd is Man Utd:yawn:

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
All Blacks 2019 World Cup squad
Forwards
Scott Barrett, Sam Cane, Dane Coles, Liam Coltman, Luke Jacobson, Nepo Laulala, Atu Moli, Joe Moody, Kieran Read, Brodie Retallick, Ardie Savea, Angus Ta’avao, Codie Taylor, Matt Todd, Patrick Tuipulotu, Ofa Tuungafasi, Sam Whitelock

Backs
Beauden Barrett, Jordie Barrett, George Bridge, Ryan Crotty, Jack Goodhue, Rieko Ioane, Anton Lienert-Brown, Richie Mo’unga, TJ Perenara, Sevu Reece, Aaron Smith, Ben Smith, Brad Weber, Sonny Bill Williams

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
All Blacks 2019 World Cup squad
Forwards
Scott Barrett, Sam Cane, Dane Coles, Liam Coltman, Luke Jacobson, Nepo Laulala, Atu Moli, Joe Moody, Kieran Read, Brodie Retallick, Ardie Savea, Angus Ta’avao, Codie Taylor, Matt Todd, Patrick Tuipulotu, Ofa Tuungafasi, Sam Whitelock

Backs
Beauden Barrett, Jordie Barrett, George Bridge, Ryan Crotty, Jack Goodhue, Rieko Ioane, Anton Lienert-Brown, Richie Mo’unga, TJ Perenara, Sevu Reece, Aaron Smith, Ben Smith, Brad Weber, Sonny Bill Williams
Retallick is a risk there, right?

On our injury front, Carbery is now targeting the Scotland match and Healy looks like he'll be fine too. But I'm sure we'll manage to crock some other folks facing a fired-up Wales on a six day turnaround :lol:

Inter Yer Nan

I don't watch much Rugby but watch the World Cup's a little. Just had a look who's airing it here in America and it's $199.99 to buy it for an NBC Sports app. The same NBC you've got to spend $50 to pay for the three United games they don't air each year. Shite that. The last World Cup's were just on basic.

freeurmind

weak willed
I don't watch much Rugby but watch the World Cup's a little. Just had a look who's airing it here in America and it's $199.99 to buy it for an NBC Sports app. The same NBC you've got to spend $50 to pay for the three United games they don't air each year. Shite that. The last World Cup's were just on basic.
That's mad. I'm sure there'll be some good rivers about.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Retallick is a risk there, right?

On our injury front, Carbery is now targeting the Scotland match and Healy looks like he'll be fine too. But I'm sure we'll manage to crock some other folks facing a fired-up Wales on a six day turnaround :lol:
He'll back near the end of the pool stage. He's too good and too important for them to leave him out. I was hoping Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi was going to be picked as third choice scrumhalf just to see how commentators would go pronouncing his name but alas Brad Weber was picked instead.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
He'll back near the end of the pool stage. He's too good and too important for them to leave him out. I was hoping Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi was going to be picked as third choice scrumhalf just to see how commentators would go pronouncing his name but alas Brad Weber was picked instead.
Boring Brad Weber like :lol:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I got a South Africa vs Wales final but I did set that up so we'd get the 6nations and rugby championship winners in the final.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/bracket
I think something will go wrong for Wales. They've two matches against us where both sides will probably lose players to injury. I'll go for them going out at a QF.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think something will go wrong for Wales. They've two matches against us where both sides will probably lose players to injury. I'll go for them going out at a QF.
Like I said, I sort of rigged the bracket to set up a final between the 6 nations vs rugby championship winner. New Zealand vs South Africa is the final I expect but I think have every chance of England being in the final too.

RedDevilRoshi

I got a South Africa vs Wales final but I did set that up so we'd get the 6nations and rugby championship winners in the final.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/bracket
I predicted the following:

Pool A:
1st Ireland
2nd Scotland

Pool B:
1st New Zealand
2nd South Africa

Pool C:
1st England
2nd France

Pool D:
1st Wales
2nd Australia

QF:
England - Australia
New Zealand - Scotland
Wales - France
Ireland - South Africa

SF:
England - New Zealand
Wales - South Africa

Final:
New Zealand - South Africa

diarm

I didn't realise Ireland had the chance to go Number 1 today. Oh well.

Jack Carty man of the match.
Shocker of a call really. Kilcoyne was the first, second and third best player on the pitch today with James Ryan and Conway coming fourth and fifth.

Worrying that we fell apart after bringing on Best, Toner and D.Kearney who should really have seen the game out with their experience. Beirne and Conan certainly didn't make the most of their opportunity to nail down spots in a backrow which is beginning to looking very out of form. Both were invisible for large periods, especially in that last half hour.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Shocker of a call really. Kilcoyne was the first, second and third best player on the pitch today with James Ryan and Conway coming fourth and fifth.

Worrying that we fell apart after bringing on Best, Toner and D.Kearney who should really have seen the game out with their experience. Beirne and Conan certainly didn't make the most of their opportunity to nail down spots in a backrow which is beginning to looking very out of form. Both were invisible for large periods, especially in that last half hour.
Aw, let my man have his moment! :lol:

Good performance on his first start and confirms his position ahead of Byrne. I remember very well the wilderness years when there were no Connacht players in the squad.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I predicted the following:

Pool A:
1st Ireland
2nd Scotland

Pool B:
1st New Zealand
2nd South Africa

Pool C:
1st England
2nd France

Pool D:
1st Wales
2nd Australia

QF:
England - Australia
New Zealand - Scotland
Wales - France
Ireland - South Africa

SF:
England - New Zealand
Wales - South Africa

Final:
New Zealand - South Africa
That’s not bad actually but I could see IRE beating SA and then Wales beating Ireland in the SF, sadly.

diarm

Aw, let my man have his moment! :lol:

Good performance on his first start and confirms his position ahead of Byrne. I remember very well the wilderness years when there were no Connacht players in the squad.

He was very good and as you say, he's nailed on for me. I reckon the following 28 are set in stone at this stage:

Healy, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan, Porter
Henderson, Ryan, Toner, Beirne
O'Mahony, VdFlier, Stander, Conan
Murray, Marmion, Sexton, Carberry, Carty
Henshaw, Aki, Ringrose
Stockdale, Earls, Conway, Kearney

Last 3 places are between Ruddock and Murphy for the last backrow spot, and then two from Farrell, Larmour and Addison. I would opt for Ruddock, Farrell and Addison but I suspect Joe is going to bring Murphy, Larmour and one of Farrell or Addison.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
He was very good and as you say, he's nailed on for me. I reckon the following 28 are set in stone at this stage:

Healy, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan, Porter
Henderson, Ryan, Toner, Beirne
O'Mahony, VdFlier, Stander, Conan
Murray, Marmion, Sexton, Carberry, Carty
Henshaw, Aki, Ringrose
Stockdale, Earls, Conway, Kearney

Last 3 places are between Ruddock and Murphy for the last backrow spot, and then two from Farrell, Larmour and Addison. I would opt for Ruddock, Farrell and Addison but I suspect Joe is going to bring Murphy, Larmour and one of Farrell or Addison.
I think Addison is halfway there after today. Larmour is a tricky one.

Or Schmidt might pick none of them and take Dave Kearney :lol::(

diarm

I think Addison is halfway there after today. Larmour is a tricky one.

Or Schmidt might pick none of them and take Dave Kearney :lol::(
Wouldn't put it past him!

I just think Farrell brings a physicality to the midfield that none of our other centres have. Look at what Tuilagi did to us last week and what South Africa and France have been doing to teams.

None of our centres are amazing distributors and while Ringrose is a nice runner of the ball, the best teams in the world aren't leaving much space for that type of centre any more. If we're going to play bosh rugby up the middle, we should bring our biggest, nastiest centre and that's Farrell by a mile.

Larmour didn't really grab his chance against Italy and while he is versatile, bringing Addison alongside Conway, Earls, Stockdale and Ringrose is more than enough cover for the same positions.

In an ideal world, he'd take all of the above and leave Rob Kearney at home but we all know that's not happening.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Wouldn't put it past him!

I just think Farrell brings a physicality to the midfield that none of our other centres have. Look at what Tuilagi did to us last week and what South Africa and France have been doing to teams.

None of our centres are amazing distributors and while Ringrose is a nice runner of the ball, the best teams in the world aren't leaving much space for that type of centre any more. If we're going to play bosh rugby up the middle, we should bring our biggest, nastiest centre and that's Farrell by a mile.

Larmour didn't really grab his chance against Italy and while he is versatile, bringing Addison alongside Conway, Earls, Stockdale and Ringrose is more than enough cover for the same positions.

In an ideal world, he'd take all of the above and leave Rob Kearney at home but we all know that's not happening.
I wish Tom Farrell had gotten a chance to show what he can do. He was sensational with offloads all season for Connacht. This World Cup is too soon for him, but I hope he doesn't get left out in the cold like O'Halloran did.

As for Rob Kearney, I really hope it doesn't work out that his amazing career rejuvenation doesn't screw us if he's gone off the boil again just in time for the world cup.

diarm

Happy to see Ruddock and Farrell included. Very harsh on Marmion, Toner and Addison.
I would have brought all three ahead of McGrath, Kleyn and Larmour.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Happy to see Ruddock and Farrell included. Very harsh on Marmion, Toner and Addison.
I would have brought all three ahead of McGrath, Kleyn and Larmour.
I'm devastated for Marmion. I thought he was certain to go and that Carty would be more touch-and-go. Maybe he's injured.

Kleyn over Toner and Farrell over Addison. Big calls.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Very dark day for my family today. Our best family friend Derrick King the chairman of Bridgend RFC died yesterday. Just wanted to pay tribute to him here instead of on Facebook. If it wasn't for him i wouldn't have gone back to college and I wouldn't have my son because of that. An absolute gentleman and has been recognised on BBC sport Wales website. Am gonna get smashed tonight but not morbid it's not about me. Rest well Derrick x

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Very dark day for my family today. Our best family friend Derrick King the chairman of Bridgend RFC died yesterday. Just wanted to pay tribute to him here instead of on Facebook. If it wasn't for him i wouldn't have gone back to college and I wouldn't have my son because of that. An absolute gentleman and has been recognised on BBC sport Wales website. Am gonna get smashed tonight but not morbid it's not about me. Rest well Derrick x
Sorry for your loss.