Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Wayne Pivac may not be the only coach of a national team to be sacked from their job this week. Eddie Jones will do well to still be England coach come the end of this week. No surprise Pivac is gone: Wales lost to Italy and Georgia in Cardiff while blowing a 21 point lead also in Cardiff to lose to a poor Wallabies side. Pivac did well with the Scarlets, what went wrong with Wales? His Scarlets side played some decent rugby on attack at least from the limited number of games I saw. His Welsh side weren't exactly exciting with the ball.

Good luck to Warren Gatland who has got a big job on his hands. Interestingly, Gatland's 2nd stint might take him through to the 2027 World Cup. His time with the Chiefs as head coach in 2020 wasn't great. While Gatland focussed on his British & Irish Lions commitments in 2021, Clayton MacMillan took the Chiefs to the final of Super Rugby Aotearoa where they were gallant in losing to the Crusaders. Gatland has left his role with the Chiefs with immediate effect, 12 months before he was probably heading back to Europe for another coaching gig.

diarm

I'm just glad Gatland went back to Wales before Jones got the boot.

England playing Gatlandball was a terrifying prospect.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The RFU would be derelict in their duties if they didn't sound out Scott Robertson and even go as far as saying the job is yours if you want it. I get the desire to appoint an Englishman but ''Razor'' is the best coach in the world not in charge of a national team at this moment and probably the best coach in the world. The opportunity to appoint a coach of that calibre doesn't come around very often. Sure, it could all blow up and you find out that hard way that rugby's sun doesn't shine out every Kiwi coaches arse on the international stage but with Razor, it's worth a shot.

The Rassie Erasmus led rejuvenation of the Springboks is often used as an example of why changing the coach more than halfway through a World Cup cycle can work wonderfully well. In this case though, the more pertinent example is Kitch Christie, coach of the 1995 World Cup winning Springboks. Erasmus had the whole of the 2018 to get the Boks going in the right direction before putting in place what needed to be done to win the 2019 World Cup. Kitch Christie had a few games at the end of 1994 and then straight into the World Cup. Eddie's successor won't even get a match the year before the World Cup - it's the 6Nations, followed by a warm up game or two and then into the World Cup.

Last edited:

MoskvaRed

Eddie’s sacking feels about two years too late with the RWC on the horizon but the cricket team has shown that a change of regime can have immediate, positive results.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Kinda harsh on Eddie. I wouldve gave him him until after the World cup, when he was going to leave anyway.

kidbob

Good win for Leinster today but a lot of problems getting turned over in the ruck. I still worry about our size to be honest. I think on our best day we beat everyone in Europe but La Rochelle brilliantly showed last year that we can be badly disrupted and thrown off our game by a more physical team. Shout out to Ross Byrne though, who has bounced back very well from his horror show in last year's final. Also Russel was quietly very good playing in an overwhelmed Racing team. All in all a good win without 3 of our best players but I need to see a much higher level before I'll believe we can go all the way.

Should be a great year of European rugby, a lot of teams that should fancy their chances.

kidbob

Also good to see Sharks give the SA teams a good start in the competition. I think they'll be a great addition to it and I wouldn't write off one of them winning it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Good win for Leinster today but a lot of problems getting turned over in the ruck. I still worry about our size to be honest. I think on our best day we beat everyone in Europe but La Rochelle brilliantly showed last year that we can be badly disrupted and thrown off our game by a more physical team. Shout out to Ross Byrne though, who has bounced back very well from his horror show in last year's final. Also Russel was quietly very good playing in an overwhelmed Racing team. All in all a good win without 3 of our best players but I need to see a much higher level before I'll believe we can go all the way.

Should be a great year of European rugby, a lot of teams that should fancy their chances.
Yeah it’s a sweet day of rugby today and I’m loving the SA teams in there. Will we see an English team win a game? :lol: :(
Either way, this is probably my favourite sporting competition an any sport

kidbob

Yeah it’s a sweet day of rugby today and I’m loving the SA teams in there. Will we see an English team win a game? :lol: :(
Either way, this is probably my favourite sporting competition an any sport
I love football but to be honest rugby has really become my first love at this point. I suppose its easy when Leinster and Ireland have been excellent in recent times but I weirdly just don't have bad feelings around it. Like when La Rochelle, deservedly, beat us last year I was instantly able to just accept that we were beat by the better team and move on with no complaints. I just never have the same 'blame the ref' emotions with rugby. I think this years Euro cup will be brilliant and I can't wait for the World Cup.

Although 1 complaint I genuinely have is the draw for the World Cup which so much favours England and Wales. To have the 4 best teams in the rankings on one side and a good Scotland team too is crazy. I certainly won't be angry at Ireland if they can't make it beyond the QF this time!!

Only thing with rugby for me is getting Wales back to their high level. I miss when Scarlets were a serious test for anyone and Wales too in that regard.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I love football but to be honest rugby has really become my first love at this point. I suppose its easy when Leinster and Ireland have been excellent in recent times but I weirdly just don't have bad feelings around it. Like when La Rochelle, deservedly, beat us last year I was instantly able to just accept that we were beat by the better team and move on with no complaints. I just never have the same 'blame the ref' emotions with rugby. I think this years Euro cup will be brilliant and I can't wait for the World Cup.

Although 1 complaint I genuinely have is the draw for the World Cup which so much favours England and Wales. To have the 4 best teams in the rankings on one side and a good Scotland team too is crazy. I certainly won't be angry at Ireland if they can't make it beyond the QF this time!!

Only thing with rugby for me is getting Wales back to their high level. I miss when Scarlets were a serious test for anyone and Wales too in that regard.
Absolutely. I have quite a lot of time for lower level and youth football, still playing and coaching every week. But I’ve found a serious disconnect from top level football, plus I’ll find myself quite bored watching a lot of it. Rugby doesn’t have the same disconnect and the games excite me pretty much the whole way through.
Agree it’s mental running the draw so far away from the competition, the counterclaim being it gives people the chance to get organised transport-wise but that’s a bit soft to me. Welsh rugby needs a massive reset and frankly English rugby is going that way as well. The good news is that it’s possible, French rugby was in a crap state last decade and it’s in rude health right the way through now

kidbob

Absolutely. I have quite a lot of time for lower level and youth football, still playing and coaching every week. But I’ve found a serious disconnect from top level football, plus I’ll find myself quite bored watching a lot of it. Rugby doesn’t have the same disconnect and the games excite me pretty much the whole way through.
Agree it’s mental running the draw so far away from the competition, the counterclaim being it gives people the chance to get organised transport-wise but that’s a bit soft to me. Welsh rugby needs a massive reset and frankly English rugby is going that way as well. The good news is that it’s possible, French rugby was in a crap state last decade and it’s in rude health right the way through now
I think England will be fine because the sheer talent is just incredible. The likes of Ireland will struggle to replace the Sextons and BODs instantly with the same level but England have such brilliant talents nearly all the time. I worry for Wales because they have been screwed from the top down but hopefully they have it in them to get back on top. I actually fancy England for the World Cup with the new manager bounce. They have never been as nad as they've looked in the last couple of years.

Hopefully they'll sort out the draw in the future but all going well i'll get to see Ireland vs SA and one of France/NZ in the World Cup. Great matches and, to be fair, if you want to win it and show you are number 1 then you have to be able to beat those teams. Injuries are my only concern.

God on you for the coaching! I think football needs a reset in terms of players and refereeing. However the inconsistency in decisions is a massive problem and its hard to ask players for respect when it sometime seems so random. At least rugby, when sometimes random, has certain major things set in stone for players and refs.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think England will be fine because the sheer talent is just incredible. The likes of Ireland will struggle to replace the Sextons and BODs instantly with the same level but England have such brilliant talents nearly all the time. I worry for Wales because they have been screwed from the top down but hopefully they have it in them to get back on top. I actually fancy England for the World Cup with the new manager bounce. They have never been as nad as they've looked in the last couple of years.

Hopefully they'll sort out the draw in the future but all going well i'll get to see Ireland vs SA and one of France/NZ in the World Cup. Great matches and, to be fair, if you want to win it and show you are number 1 then you have to be able to beat those teams. Injuries are my only concern.

God on you for the coaching! I think football needs a reset in terms of players and refereeing. However the inconsistency in decisions is a massive problem and its hard to ask players for respect when it sometime seems so random. At least rugby, when sometimes random, has certain major things set in stone for players and refs.
It’s coming to an end next year….ironically because my son, who plays school rugby, has decided to switch from Sunday league football to club rugby as well. His club team play all over north England so I can’t do both. 6 years of coaching and reffing kids football….I’ve done my shift…looking forward to just being a parent again :lol: That said I quite fancy coaching rugby so if something opens up there I might get involved.
I don’t fancy England too much for the WC but I’ve been calling for EJ to go for ages. Our talent pool is immense but we’ve been listless at the top for ages. Hearing the players say Jones had lost their support a long time ago comes as no surprise

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Unbelievable
They wheeled him out to say everything is fine.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
seems like a few good ideas. There is too much faffing around, discussing the line out call etc. Seems like the water boys are on the pitch every ten minutes.
Good to see them trying new things to speed up the game.
It was a bit daft to hear the ref during the recent Connacht Ulster match basically following these new rules when it's a Jan 1st thing though.
The teams surely had no time to absorb the upcoming changes,never mind implement them before they were meant to.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Surely I'm not the only one finding it ironic that a video empathising with referees has come out of South Africa.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Joe Marler. He's an idiot who gets far too much media-screen time because he's a "fUnNy gUy". Fed up of hearing him get segments on TalkSPORT because he has a bit of character. He's had plenty of controversies in his career that just highlights he's a bit of a cnut. Even on TalkSPORT this morning they were trying to lightly justify it by bringing up that he does battle with mental health - which I can empathize with, but I find it utterly disrespectful to people with severe mental health issues when people lightly paint his actions as part of his recovering mental health. He's just a prat.

Withnail

Annnnnnnnd his going to be fit, there goes a real chance to bed in some 10s in the squad
Oh ffs I was hoping he'd be out to force their hand. What are going to learn about Sexton during the 6N that we don't already know. If he gets injured early on in the WC we'll be fecked once again.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Big rugby weekend next weekend. Off to watch Sale vs Toulouse on Saturday. Hope Toulouse bring their A team across. Then my lad’s in the semi finals of the Yorkshire Cup on Sunday :D

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Dave Rennie has been sacked with immediate effect and will be replaced by Eddie Jones on a 5 year deal taking in the next two World Cups and the 2025 British and Irish Lions series.

What I expected to happen after the World Cup basically been brought forward by the best part of 12 months. A 38% win record got Rennie in the end, the lowest of any Wallabies coach who took charge of at least 30 tests.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Dave Rennie has been sacked with immediate effect and will be replaced by Eddie Jones on a 5 year deal taking in the next two World Cups and the 2025 British and Irish Lions series.

What I expected to happen after the World Cup basically been brought forward by the best part of 12 months. A 38% win record got Rennie in the end, the lowest of any Wallabies coach who took charge of at least 30 tests.
Why Jones though? Was he the only option?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Why Jones though? Was he the only option?
Post 2023, RA's plan seemed to be to bring Eddie home and have him coach the Wallabies. Rennie's struggles added with Jones' immediate availability has brought about this change now as opposed to after the World Cup. If RA waited, Jones might have been offered a coaching job overseas or heaven forbid for RA, a gig in the NRL.

As for why Jones? He is still the most successful and arguably still the best Aussie born coach out there. Yes, things unravelled for him with England in the end but If they're hellbent on an Aussie coaching the Wallabies, Eddie is the only option too.

In a country where rugby struggles for publicity and attention, a coach with Eddie's personality is as important as results. When England toured Australia in July of 2022, the visiting coach did more to promote the game and the series than the coach of the home team. Dave Rennie is a lovely bloke but was described in one article today as having the personality of a dial tone.

hodgey123

What are everyone's thoughts about the rule changes to amateur rugby? My old rugby club are kicking right off about it. I initially thought it was a good idea and was always taught to tackle legs first anyway, but the concussion risk there is apparently just as high from a knee to the head as it is from going high. Someone also made the point that it will now be virtually impossible to defend against pick and goes from close range on the line.

Dan_F

What are everyone's thoughts about the rule changes to amateur rugby? My old rugby club are kicking right off about it. I initially thought it was a good idea and was always taught to tackle legs first anyway, but the concussion risk there is apparently just as high from a knee to the head as it is from going high. Someone also made the point that it will now be virtually impossible to defend against pick and goes from close range on the line.
I’ve seen quite a few ex-school mates chatting about it and they are saying the same thing. The risk of getting hit by a knee seems higher than the risk of unintentionally tackling too high and hitting a head.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve seen quite a few ex-school mates chatting about it and they are saying the same thing. The risk of getting hit by a knee seems higher than the risk of unintentionally tackling too high and hitting a head.
There’s a bit of a myth that you need a blow to the head to get concussed. Any big impact which rattles your head can cause concussions. So the risk is much higher with upper body to upper body collisions than upper body to lower limbs, because lower limbs weigh much less than upper bodies + physics. Not to mention that head to head contact risks twice as many brains as head to knee. They’ve a ton of evidence to prove this as well. Using gum shields with chips in them that monitor forces through the head .

So this rule change will definitely make each tackle less likely to end in concussion. Although there could be other negative unintended consequences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.