Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'm not sure if it's Scotland improving or England dropping their level but I don't think either of these teams are up to much at the moment.
Yep, but I thought on balance of both not being great right now, England would have too much for them for it to be close.

Edit: Or them to be behind on the 74th minute :lol:

RedDevilRoshi

Blimey I didn’t see us winning that! Scotland win, Man Utd win, Arsenal losing & Liverpool getting absolutely humped - couldn’t have asked for a better all round birthday present than that! :drool:

Now watch us lose to Wales next week :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Missed tackles absolutely killer…some bad luck as well on a few breakdown calls that didn’t go our way. I must sound like a broken record but we lost our attacking tempo when Youngs came on, he just isn’t up to it and the game is about quick ball more than ever.
Congratulations to Scotland, who played some fantastic rugby and defended like heroes

Dan_F

Christ, England are so uninspiring. Scotland with ball in hand the opposite.

Looking forward to seeing Russell in the flesh a lot next season though. Silently have no idea how it’s going to work if we’re box kicking from every breakdown though.

I know refs usually don’t bother with them, but that last pass for Scotland’s try looked forward.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Scotland beating England, Liverpool getting shat on and Everton beating Arsenal in the same day. :drool:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I picked Everton and Scotland to win. I should have put money on that! For some reason, a Gregor Townsend coached Scotland team matches up well against England - 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss in the last 6 against their old enemy. That 10 and 12 combination still isn't clicking for England and their defence for Scotland's two first half tries left plenty to be desired.

Ireland were pretty good in the first half and that's where the damage was done. Wales tried hard but lacked polish to execute at crucial moments. Ken Owens might want to work on his line out throwing while his teammates need to fix their discipline which was horrendous for the first half.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I have been a bit concerned about the way the game is being officiated at test level over the last year or so but Paul Williams played his part in ensuring we got a thrilling test at Twickenham yesterday so well done to the Taranaki born referee.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I haven't been watching but it looks like Italy are giving France a game from the score at half-time? Unexpected.

Forgot this was on and had Forest/Leeds on in the background. Jesus I'd loathe to support either of those teams. So amazingly boring.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Blimey I didn’t see us winning that! Scotland win, Man Utd win, Arsenal losing & Liverpool getting absolutely humped - couldn’t have asked for a better all round birthday present than that! :drool:

Now watch us lose to Wales next week :lol:
Scotland beating England, Liverpool getting shat on and Everton beating Arsenal in the same day. :drool:
Indeed. What a day Saturday was sporting wise :D

Duhan's first try was sensational and the second was class too. A fantastic test match that was thoroughly enjoyable. Just hope we back it up v Wales next!

RedDevilRoshi

Indeed. What a day Saturday was sporting wise :D

Duhan's first try was sensational and the second was class too. A fantastic test match that was thoroughly enjoyable. Just hope we back it up v Wales next!
More nervous about that than anything. Just seen it happen so often in the past. Just hope they prove us wrong this time!

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
More nervous about than anything. Just seen it happen so often in the past. Just hope they prove us wrong this time!
Indeed! Heard Gregor mention that exact thing on Talksport this morning so hopefully we have learned from it! They will be hurting after the game v Ireland too, they were very poor first half but much better in the second.

kidbob

France vs Ireland next week will be a very interesting game. Ireland, despite, beating Wales well were very disappointing for long periods of the game and to be honest we seem to be falling into the trap of reverting to very basic rugby with a team that is capable of so much more. I don't know why Farrell has seemingly abandoned our free flowing attack game to bring us back to very basic rugby again in the lead up to the World Cup. Maybe we just peaked too early again. Either way I'm sick of us failing to play the level of rugby that we are actually capable of, especially because we don't have the power up front to outdo teams like France for 80 minutes. Somewhere along the last 2 years we have started to fail to include Hansen and Lowe enough in open play. That's the point of them being in the team. Neither players are like VDM but they are better rugby players overall but now we barely get them on the ball. It's strange because a year ago we looked fresh and were great at that and now have reverted to use them to rely on scraps.

Why he has suddenly decided on Ross as his number 2 I don't know either. I love the lad but he's never been good enough for this level. Even having Johnny in the team for the 6 nations is criminal. 4 years to plan and if Sexton gets injured in the World Cup then we are done. I say this as a fan who really likes Farrell but he is pissing me off hugely the last few months. Reverting to rugby that simply doesn't suit our players. Exact same as Schmidt.

For the love of God all 4 provinces have been trying to play good attacking rugby in the last 10 years but the national team act like underdogs. It was La Rochelle that had to make the final scrappy to win, not Leinster. La Rochelle did brilliant and they deserved their win but Ireland clearly have the players to go at teams with open, fast rugby. That final also showed that Leinster (the main pick for the national team) struggle when the game becomes about power. They need speed of ruck, just like the national team do.

Just once I want a coach to trust our talent and go into the World Cup with the courage to play the way we should. Instead we allow a terrible Wales side to make us look average for 50 minutes while our talent gets us the win. If you don't want to do that then at least put 2 faster more suited wingers on the starting team who actually enjoy that type of tactic.

We might win this 6 nations but I think the signs are clear of another World Cup disaster brewing. I hope to God I'm wrong and this post can be quoted with green smileys from everyone after the next few games or the World Cup but I can't shake what I think are major mistakes.

France will be fine, they just aren't, and never will be, as unbeatable as their talent suggests they should be. I think they'll beat us in Dublin at the weekend, especially if we try to overpower them. What we need to do is play the game at a pace they can't handle.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
We might win this 6 nations but I think the signs are clear of another World Cup disaster brewing. I hope to God I'm wrong and this post can be quoted with green smileys from everyone after the next few games or the World Cup but I can't shake what I think are major mistakes.
Not to worry, I said this during the first 6N after the last world cup ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don’t get how anyone can be negative about Ireland right now. Perfect start with a bonus point win at a ground where we haven’t won in 10 years and lost two of our best/most important players at the very last minute.

Obviously being a member here during the Fergie years taught me that fans are never happy, no matter how good they have it, but still…

kidbob

Don’t get how anyone can be negative about Ireland right now. Perfect start with a bonus point win at a ground where we haven’t won in 10 years and lost two of our best/most important players at the very last minute.

Obviously being a member here during the Fergie years taught me that fans are never happy, no matter how good they have it, but still…
To be fair I've been a fan well before Ireland's 'Fergie' years. It was the perfect start score wise but the performance was very average. Some Wales fans are leaving thinking they may have something to go on. We allowed them that because the reality is that Wales are awful.

My main concern is Sexton. He should be at home with his feet up but instead we are starting him in meaningless games in the lead up to the World Cup. Fine call up Byrne out of nowhere but most of all use this 6 nations to find a back up outhalf. Now we've decided Sexton is unbreakable and we will suffer for it in the World Cup. Farrell has done a great job but his decisions at 10 are completely baffling. Also, as I said, the rugby has regressed so maybe play proper fast wingers if you are going to waste Lowe and Hansen by making them chase kicks.

Edit: just not to sound completely down on us. I know Farrell can use Lowe and Hansen because last year they were central to our attack. I just really hope he hasn't abandoned what he built on the eve of the World Cup like so many Irish managers have. It seems they get cold feet consistently when faced with a World Cup. We have as much talent as anyone to go out and win the World Cup playing the expansive rugby we did just last year. What we don't have is the forward power to grind our way to a World Cup. Farrell found the perfect formula last year to have is at our best, now he just needs to perfect it, not turn us into a grinding team that we can't be.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair I've been a fan well before Ireland's 'Fergie' years. It was the perfect start score wise but the performance was very average. Some Wales fans are leaving thinking they may have something to go on. We allowed them that because the reality is that Wales are awful.

My main concern is Sexton. He should be at home with his feet up but instead we are starting him in meaningless games in the lead up to the World Cup. Fine call up Byrne out of nowhere but most of all use this 6 nations to find a back up outhalf. Now we've decided Sexton is unbreakable and we will suffer for it in the World Cup. Farrell has done a great job but his decisions at 10 are completely baffling. Also, as I said, the rugby has regressed so maybe play proper fast wingers if you are going to waste Lowe and Hansen by making them chase kicks.

Edit: just not to sound completely down on us. I know Farrell can use Lowe and Hansen because last year they were central to our attack. I just really hope he hasn't abandoned what he built on the eve of the World Cup like so many Irish managers have. It seems they get cold feet consistently when faced with a World Cup. We have as much talent as anyone to go out and win the World Cup playing the expansive rugby we did just last year. What we don't have is the forward power to grind our way to a World Cup. Farrell found the perfect formula last year to have is at our best, now he just needs to perfect it, not turn us into a grinding team that we can't be.
I just don’t see the big change in approach that has you worried. We were maybe a bit flat in the autumn internationals but still won every game and Wales couldn’t live with us when we turned it on at the weekend. They’re at a low ebb but Cardiff is never not a difficult place to go. We’re always a bit more laborious when JGP doesn’t start, so I think we’ll kick up another gear when he gets back. There was some mad stat shown during the game about how we were consistently getting the ball out of rucks in less than 2 seconds. You couldn’t ask for a better basis for attacking rugby and with our backs all in great form we’re bound to give someone a hiding soon.

Sexton is what he is. Still our best #10 by a mile. If he’s unavailable it’s good to see Byrne looking as sharp as he is right now. He did well against Wales and has been the business for Leinster recently. Playing exactly the sort of rugby we all want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.