Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgey123

There’s a bit of a myth that you need a blow to the head to get concussed. Any big impact which rattles your head can cause concussions. So the risk is much higher with upper body to upper body collisions than upper body to lower limbs, because lower limbs weigh much less than upper bodies + physics. Not to mention that head to head contact risks twice as many brains as head to knee. They’ve a ton of evidence to prove this as well. Using gum shields with chips in them that monitor forces through the head .

So this rule change will definitely make each tackle less likely to end in concussion. Although there could be other negative unintended consequences.
Very good point and I must admit I hadn't got into the science of it, just gauging (clearly uninformed on the basis of the above) consensus from players!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The one and only time I got a concussion playing as a kid was a knee to the head due to bad tackle technique. I had a ten-minute blank spot in my memory from the moment it happened til the end of the match. Apparently I played well during it :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The one and only time I got a concussion playing as a kid was a knee to the head due to bad tackle technique. I had a ten-minute blank spot in my memory from the moment it happened til the end of the match. Apparently I played well during it :lol:
I have no idea what the data says but wouldn't be surprised at all if knees to head are by far the most common cause of concussion in underage rugby. You just don't get the same high impact upper body to upper body collisions at that level. Although making them tackle below the waist is probably the best way to train technique, so probably for the best anyway?

Six nations 2023

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Predictions today boys and girls?

Reckon Wales Ireland will be close till the last 20 but Ireland will pull away and win by a few scores.

England narrow victory, by a score….hopefully. Think it’ll be a nervous one for both sets of fans

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ireland to win a close one in Cardiff, Scotland to beat England and France will beat Italy but not by a massive margin on Sunday.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Predictions today boys and girls?

Reckon Wales Ireland will be close till the last 20 but Ireland will pull away and win by a few scores.

England narrow victory, by a score….hopefully. Think it’ll be a nervous one for both sets of fans
Close until the last 20 :lol:

Hephaestus

10 minutes in, 14-0 down with 23% possession. Can't wait until United kick off...

Hephaestus

You've been good the last 90 seconds
Yeah, first bit of possession in the Irish half came just after I posted that. Bit disappointed to only come away with 3 points but hopefully that will settle the side down.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
10 minutes in, 14-0 down with 23% possession. Can't wait until United kick off...
Not playing Reffell against this quick-ball multi-phase Irish outfit is mental imho. One of the best Jacklers in the world has to start

T_Model101

30 points I think is the record winning margin for Ireland in Cardiff
Hopefully that's on the cards today
Arsenal loss, Ireland win, just need the Utd and City results to turn out ok and we're set for another perfect Saturday!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Rob Kearney would sicken the toughest of stomachs.

He's like a parody of a rugby playing posh rich privately educated twat. He seems fictional he's so focking ridiculously oirish rogby.

cnut.

He's made me feel like a class traitor for even watching.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We're diabolical at world cups, so yes please.
This team has to do well at the World Cup. It really will be a massive failure if not, the way they move the point of contact and get recycle quickly. I think teams have to set up specifically to slow the ball down to have a chance. France would be a good candidate as they’ve got jacklers all over the pitch, especially when Danty is back

RORY65

This team has to do well at the World Cup. It really will be a massive failure if not, the way they move the point of contact and get recycle quickly. I think teams have to set up specifically to slow the ball down to have a chance. France would be a good candidate as they’ve got jacklers all over the pitch, especially when Danty is back
I've heard that about pretty much every Irish side that has gone to a World Cup. They've got a tough draw this side on (arguably the 4 strongest sides are all on 1 side of the draw) so the inevitable quarter final exit will be fair enough this time.

I thought Ireland were good in the 1st half, very clinical in their work, but pretty poor for much of the 2nd with multiple instances of ill-discipline. There's a chance of a championship and maybe even a slam if they can be closer to that 1st half level throughout.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
They popular theory on Ireland in the Johnny Sexton era is that they peak too early.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Very pleased with what I’ve seen from England. Scotland taking their 2 opportunities in sensational fashion shouldn’t mask the fact that England have looked a completely different side with ball in hand, it’s looked like the power game of old but with a bit more guile built in. Great match as well, fantastic to see one of the showpieces of the calendar have open running rugby in and not descend into a shitfest

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I've heard that about pretty much every Irish side that has gone to a World Cup. They've got a tough draw this side on (arguably the 4 strongest sides are all on 1 side of the draw) so the inevitable quarter final exit will be fair enough this time.

I thought Ireland were good in the 1st half, very clinical in their work, but pretty poor for much of the 2nd with multiple instances of ill-discipline. There's a chance of a championship and maybe even a slam if they can be closer to that 1st half level throughout.
Does this side not feel a little bit special though? Certainly from a (fairly neutral) outside perspective this Irish team might not be full of best-in-the-world players….but the team as a whole all fits together so well

RORY65

Does this side not feel a little bit special though? Certainly from a (fairly neutral) outside perspective this Irish team might not be full of best-in-the-world players….but the team as a whole all fits together so well
They won the grand slam in 2018 and were number 1 in the world at the end of that year and were absolutely shit in 2019. They'd won 2 consecutive championships going into the 2015 world cup and got blown out by Argentina. This team hasn't actually won anything, they obviously had the fantastic series win in New Zealand and had some really impressive results but I'd still make them significant underdogs for a quarter final against France or New Zealand.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
They won the grand slam in 2018 and were number 1 in the world at the end of that year and were absolutely shit in 2019. They'd won 2 consecutive championships going into the 2015 world cup and got blown out by Argentina. This team hasn't actually won anything, they obviously had the fantastic series win in New Zealand and had some really impressive results but I'd still make them significant underdogs for a quarter final against France or New Zealand.
Fair enough. I wouldn’t make you significant underdogs against anyone at the WC. I’d make you underdogs against France and probably SA as I think their power game might cause you some problems, but not by much

RORY65

Fair enough. I wouldn’t make you significant underdogs against anyone at the WC. I’d make you underdogs against France and probably SA as I think their power game might cause you some problems, but not by much
In purely rugby terms I would make them underdogs against France in France anyway (not so sure generally against a not great New Zealand side) but when you add in the scars of previous knockout disappointments I think they have a lot more to overcome than any of the other major sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.