Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That game last night was a true epic, would have loved to be in the ground, the atmosphere sounded electric.

A proper grind in the end but I think Ireland deserved it, pure power from both sides though.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
England don't play again until October 7th? Rugby is dumb.
The groups have 5 teams each. Therefore someone is left without an opponent each week.

We’re into the third week of the World Cup and Scotland have only played once. Start again today though

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Dumb and intensely physical….can’t play every 3 days or everybody breaks
The groups have 5 teams each. Therefore someone is left without an opponent each week.

We’re into the third week of the World Cup and Scotland have only played once. Start again today though
Fair enough. 3.5 weeks just feels a tad excessive. Is it because they've progressed to the next round early doors or would they have had this break regardless?

Kinky Melinky

My head has finally cooled down after that pressure cooker of a game last night. Jaypers....I had a head on me like Santa at the final whistle. The lads did so well. Delighted.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Fair enough. 3.5 weeks just feels a tad excessive. Is it because they've progressed to the next round early doors or would they have had this break regardless?
No it’s just a rotational break week for all the teams. Each team has 4 group games, but there’s 5 teams, so Scotland just got given the second week for a break, we’ll play every week from now on.

The group stages of the WC are always quite drawn out due to the physicality of the sport. Once we get past them, you have the quarters, semis and final within a 14 day period.

The final isn’t until the 28th Oct!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
No it’s just a rotational break week for all the teams. Each team has 4 group games, but there’s 5 teams, so Scotland just got given the second week for a break, we’ll play every week from now on.

The group stages of the WC are always quite drawn out due to the physicality of the sport. Once we get past them, you have the quarters, semis and final within a 14 day period.

The final isn’t until the 28th Oct!
Overlapping with the cricket world cup as well :drool:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is there any permutations that Ireland and Scotland make it out, if we make it all the way I don’t want to face them again
Would you take a loss to Scotland if it meant there was a chance RSA would miss out? Should Scotland beat Ireland, the top 2 would boil down to for and against as well as bonus points.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ireland's ability to grind out a win like they did last year against the Boks was impressive. The turning point came when Jesse Kriel was stopped close to the line, popped a pass up for Kolisi but the ball the South African captain in the head. Had that resulted in a try, the Boks would have potentially gone 10-0 up and I think it would have been a long road back for the Irish as the Boks would have had their tales up and backed themselves to remain on top.

Once Ireland fixed their lineout issues, their set piece held up fine which is very important against the Springboks. Yes, the Boks scrum had its moments but the bomb squad conceded a scrum penalty or two as well.

The controversy around Kolbe's try was around some possible obstruction from Jesse Kriel. Libbok's pass was one of those that leave the hands backwards but float forward with momentum.

South Africa's official and unofficial head coach have a huge dilemma around who plays 10. Libbok is the better flyhalf on attack but Pollard probably nails the kicks that Libbok missed. What they lose on attack, they gain in accuracy from the kicking tee.

Nothing I saw changed my view about this match being a World Cup final preview. To win the World Cup, I believe Ireland are going to have to beat the Springboks twice.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think Wales are going to beat the Wallabies in a few hours. I've made peace with it anyway.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
England don't play again until October 7th? Rugby is dumb.
ireland and france are worried about their only real competition for the trophy and want england as undercooked as possible for any potential final.

Scotland vs Tonga

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Reckon Scotland will slip up here. My 33yrs of supporting Scotland have conditioned me into expecting a shite performance when a good one is required.

We’ll probably get a losing point for within 7, then pump Romania 40+ meaningless points followed by a shafting by Ireland.

Once we’re on the plane home, my support will go towards Ireland.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Van de Merwe now terrified to go in for a tackle after he just fecking bounced off one of their forwards earlier.

Tonga are just cubes of muscle.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Every time I hear Zander Fagerson’s name I just think of Oliver Twist.

Who was that creepy paedo guy that ran the thieving racket in that? Fagerson wasn’t it?

Good try again lads!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nope, just from observing it. We had a lot of very slow ruck ball.
Did some googling and you’re spot on.

Ireland had their slowest ruck speed so far by some margin and represented the seventh slowest ruck speed of any team in any game (out of 44 teams in 22 games up until Saturday’s match). That showed the pressure South Africa were exerting at the breakdown, how fast they were closing space and hitting the rucks when ball carriers were going down. Prior to the game Ireland thrived on a ruck speed that was measured at between 2-3 seconds. They were exceptionally good at generating that and were the only team in the World Cup with less than three seconds per ruck on average.
Quite pleasing to get the win despite what’s usually our greatest strength being turned into a weakness.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Did some googling and you’re spot on.

Quite pleasing to get the win despite what’s usually our greatest strength being turned into a weakness.
Yep, SA countered us really well.
It was looking more like a 5-6 second average to me, which is massive and really affects how JGP plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.