Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The score could have been better if it wasn't for stupid mistakes. Price of inexperience.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
good of world rugby to allow a couple of minnows to gain some world cup experience.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Two members of Eddie's staff are from rugby league. The Wallabies have 13 on the field now and thus resemble a rugby league team.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
2nd try finally :lol:

Two tries against Australia. I'll certainly take that.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yes, the argument for change is more that Italy are still fairly useless as opposed to Georgia (or whoever) being good enough.

I expect Fiji to win this game as Georgia tire in the second half.
Admittedly haven’t watched Italy play in a long time, but didn’t expect a 90 pointer against them. Just by judging on their results in the 6 nations, I’d have expected some type of fight from them.

I think the ideal would be if it was possible to create like a B-league type 6 nations with the likes of Georgia, Portugal type countries and do a winner gets promoted to 6 Nations and the team finishing last in 6 Nations gets relegated. Not sure if that idea is feasible at all though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Our international rugby and cricket players are like celebrities in this country, so more often than not, all have model WAGS by their side, no matter what they themselves look like.
I mean go ahead, call him ugly.:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:lol: yeah, let's just say his punching well above his weight there
To be honest I think that they are in the same weight class. Also Google image makes me believe that it could also be taken literally, that woman is taller and sturdier than average because she doesn't look small next to her husband who is a massive human being.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
To be honest I think that they are in the same weight class. Also Google image makes me believe that it could also be taken literally, that woman is taller and sturdier than average because she doesn't look small next to her husband who is a massive human being.
Yeah you're spot on actually. I just googled some other photos of the couple and the one quoted above could be a tad....misleading yeah. My point still stands though - our rugby and cricketers usually do punch above their weight :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
How handy is it to have a blindside flanker who can throw. He’s got an insane work rate, so you get even more around the park

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I thought Willie Le Roux looked like a psycho in that exchange around 5mins from the end. Some folks on Twitter claiming he was saying something racist to the Tongan player. Anyone catch it?
He said, “he pushed me”, then there was a loud of inaudible stuff.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The amateur lip-readers on Twitter claim it was more
Oh I heard “he pushed me”, but the rest was inaudible. I don’t claim to be a lip-reader….and I’d question how accurate it could be when someone has a gum-shield in

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Makazole Mapimpi has been ruled out of the World Cup after sustaining a facial injury in South Africa's match against Tonga. That'll disappoint Kiwi rugby commentator Grant Nisbett who referred to every player of colour in the Springboks' backline as ''Mapimpi'' during New Zealand's resounding win over South Africa in this year's Rugby Championship.

Last edited:

RoyH1

Makazole Mapimpi has been ruled out of the World Cup after sustaining a facial injury in South Africa's match against Tonga. That'll Kiwi rugby commentator Grant Nisbett who referred to every player of colour in the Springboks' backline as ''Mapimpi'' during New Zealand's resounding win over South Africa in this year's Rugby Championship.
Can he have Dupont's doctor have a look at it?

Traub

Makazole Mapimpi has been ruled out of the World Cup after sustaining a facial injury in South Africa's match against Tonga. That'll disappoint Kiwi rugby commentator Grant Nisbett who referred to every player of colour in the Springboks' backline as ''Mapimpi'' during New Zealand's resounding win over South Africa in this year's Rugby Championship.
Quite a loss for us in terms of depth and experience. Injuries just aren't going for us this world cup, and you need luck to win it.

RoyH1

So, triple digits tonight? As far as I can tell, Uruguar have never played the All Blacks themselves but only a New Zealand XV once to which they lost 64-3

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The permutations are melting my head. Apparently there's a scenario where we could be losing against Scotland and the best scenario for us would be to let them run in some more tries, thus getting us through to the next round and putting South Africa out?!?
Not sure how that scenario would work.
Because SA got a bonus point win the last day, I'm not sure if there's any scenario now that they don't go through.
Scotland can only get to 15pts but they lose out against SA because head-to-head record counts in a points tie.
That's why I was hoping they wouldn't get a bonus point win against Tonga ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not sure how that scenario would work.
Because SA got a bonus point win the last day, I'm not sure if there's any scenario now that they don't go through.
Scotland can only get to 15pts but they lose out against SA because head-to-head record counts in a points tie.
That's why I was hoping they wouldn't get a bonus point win against Tonga ;)
I think the scenario where SA go out is when it goes down to points difference? I’m sure I heard that the fact they didn’t get a points difference higher than us after Tonga game means they can still go out.

RORY65

The permutations are melting my head. Apparently there's a scenario where we could be losing against Scotland and the best scenario for us would be to let them run in some more tries, thus getting us through to the next round and putting South Africa out?!?
Yeah if Scotland get 5 points and Ireland get 1 for the try bonus there is a situation where Ireland would go out if they lose by between 5 and 20 points but go through 2nd to Scotland if they lose by more than 20. So if it's a very high scoring game and Ireland are losing by 15 with a few minutes to go then they are better off letting Scotland score. Then Scotland would win the group on points difference and Ireland would go through 2nd as they have the head-to-head over South Africa.

Basically if 3 teams are level on points then the group winner is decided on points difference and then 2nd and 3rd is decided on head-to-head between those 2 sides. It's a very unlikely scenario though but it is a weird quirk and one South Africa's coaches were asked about in a press conference earlier this week and didn't totally dismiss.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah if Scotland get 5 points and Ireland get 1 for the try bonus there is a situation where Ireland would go out if they lose by between 5 and 20 points but go through 2nd to Scotland if they lose by more than 20. So if it's a very high scoring game and Ireland are losing by 15 with a few minutes to go then they are better off letting Scotland score. Then Scotland would win the group on points difference and Ireland would go through 2nd as they have the head-to-head over South Africa.

Basically if 3 teams are level on points then the group winner is decided on points difference and then 2nd and 3rd is decided on head-to-head between those 2 sides. It's a very unlikely scenario though but it is a weird quirk and one South Africa's coaches were asked about in a press conference earlier this week and didn't totally dismiss.
That's the one. Thanks. Such a crazy scenario.

RoyH1

I've read somewhere that a 49-28 to Scotland is the sweetspot for knocking SA out

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I've read somewhere that a 49-28 to Scotland is the sweetspot for knocking SA out
Anything where Scotland win by 21 or more with both sides scoring 4 tries or more will do. Scotland winning 41-20 would do the trick in theory in terms of knocking South Africa out.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
You can imagine the conspiracy theories if both sides have scored 4 tries and Scotland are winning by 18 and Nic Berry incorrectly gives Scotland a penalty to allow them to win 21 which would see the Boks out.

Offsideagain

Scotland have not got a prayer against Ireland, no worries there. What concerns me is the head contact protocol. Mapimpi was injured in his head clash but no card was issued yet Curry was given a red for basically standing up and letting the Argentina full back fall on him. There was no injury. They are looking at everything now, stopping the game whcih is already getting slower due to scrums collapsing during yellow card periods. Any player knows when foul play has occured and I don't consider standing your ground as foul play.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Scotland have not got a prayer against Ireland, no worries there. What concerns me is the head contact protocol. Mapimpi was injured in his head clash but no card was issued yet Curry was given a red for basically standing up and letting the Argentina full back fall on him. There was no injury. They are looking at everything now, stopping the game whcih is already getting slower due to scrums collapsing during yellow card periods. Any player knows when foul play has occured and I don't consider standing your ground as foul play.
:lol:

RoyH1

Mad respect for Uruguay. And boy does this reflect poorly on Italy.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Rassie's had a busy week on twitter. The 1995 World Cup final lasting 100 minutes might contribute to the 32:05 ball in play for that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.