Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sport2793

NZ were flawless. Made maybe one or two errors in 80 minutes. Outrageous performance. And we still ran them close. What a game of rugby.
They made several big errors what are you on about? Missed conversion, missed penalty, two yellow cards to name a few.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I will say that some of the posters here had it coming, loudly saying that no Southern Hemisphere teams will make the semis for example. Think multiple posters here had Ireland winning as a foregone conclusion, which maybe is understandable with their recent record against NZ but a WC is a different beast and Ireland clearly struggled with the pressure to 'break the curse' today.

Ireland played with heart but they also were given every chance to win this match with the 2 yellow cards and still couldn't get it done. This was against an AB team that is not as good as some of the previous versions (maybe one can say they are in a transition period?). Irish fans should rightly see this as a kick in the balls for a long time, a complete failure for me and their fans had it coming.
Thats a bit rough mate.
Im a Kiwi and I thought this Irish side had been playing brilliantly for a couple of years, to me clearly the best team in the world.
Irish fans are brilliant, they are passionate and also bring tons of humour and fun to the games. The ones in here I thought had every right to feel confident. I genuinely thought Ireland would win this and it was even closer than the scoreline showed.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Christ that was tough to watch. NZ were brilliant, but we were our own worst enemy
  • We lost the breakdown
  • We let nerves get to us too much in the first half
  • We made a lot of silly decisions when people were isolated.
Overall, NZ deserved to win. However, we could have won that had we done the basics right, and that hurts.

There's this old adage that men put a lot of their emotional wellbeing into sports, and I think that probably holds true, me included.
Ireland losing tonight has been tough to watch I'm not angry at the team or frustrated thinking they bottled it.
I really feel for them, I almost share their pain - I feel more connected to them this time.

But its days like this that would make some people question why you'd invest so much of yourself into something that basically relies on external chance.
I support United, Ireland and the Giants(NFL). I've basically had a decade of emotional frustration.
But that's sport. I wouldn't have it any other way.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They made several big errors what are you on about? Missed conversion, missed penalty, two yellow cards to name a few.
A missed conversation and missed penalty aren't big errors. Also one of the yellow was a cynical follow that prevented a big try opportunity, it's a success more than an error.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Christ that was tough to watch. NZ were brilliant, but we were our own worst enemy
  • We lost the breakdown
  • We let nerves get to us too much in the first half
  • We made a lot of silly decisions when people were isolated.
Overall, NZ deserved to win. However, we could have won that had we done the basics right, and that hurts.

There's this old adage that men put a lot of their emotional wellbeing into sports, and I think that probably holds true, me included.
Ireland losing tonight has been tough to watch I'm not angry at the team or frustrated thinking they bottled it.
I really feel for them, I almost share their pain - I feel more connected to them this time.

But its days like this that would make some people question why you'd invest so much of yourself into something that basically relies on external chance.
I support United, Ireland and the Giants(NFL). I've basically had a decade of emotional frustration.
But that's sport. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'd totally have it another way where Ireland didn't lose and I wasn't utterly devastated :lol:

Swedish_Plumber

Feel for the Irish. What a game. Worthy of any final and both teams played well enough to win most finals I’ve watched.

New Zealand should go on and win this now.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Most teams would have to play perfectly to beat an in form AB side and Ireland weren’t perfect today.

The 1/4 finals are a type of kryptonite it seems.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I will say that some of the posters here had it coming, loudly saying that no Southern Hemisphere teams will make the semis for example. Think multiple posters here had Ireland winning as a foregone conclusion, which maybe is understandable with their recent record against NZ but a WC is a different beast and Ireland clearly struggled with the pressure to 'break the curse' today.

Ireland played with heart but they also were given every chance to win this match with the 2 yellow cards and still couldn't get it done. This was against an AB team that is not as good as some of the previous versions (maybe one can say they are in a transition period?). Irish fans should rightly see this as a kick in the balls for a long time, a complete failure for me and their fans had it coming.
You’re talking out your arse. I don’t think a single Ireland fan posting on here predicted that Ireland would win. Never mind the result was a foregone conclusion. Quote them, if you can. And apologise if you can’t.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What I’m on about is they didn’t make a single handling error. Barely missed any tackles. Flawless at the breakdown. No scrum penalties. Won all their lineouts. You know, the sort of stuff most teams make multiple errors at during most games.

sport2793

You’re talking out your arse. I don’t think a single Ireland fan posting on here predicted that Ireland would win. Never mind the result was a foregone conclusion. Quote them, if you can. And apologise if you can’t.
Too lazy to go back further in the thread but clearly others felt the same sentiment.

Brilliant game. I've spent the week telling people they're assholes for writing off the All Black's. Like we Irish don't know what happens when you get ahead off yourselves. Pfffft.
Tonight was the first time I’ve ever watched a full rugby game in my life and even to me it was obvious.

irish fans basically turned into the English

CallyRed

Who upset Sexton after the final whistle? He was really having a go at someone.
Reading comments online that he was unhappy as he couldn't referee the game like he normally does. I'm not a big Rugby fan so I guess this is an attempt at wit.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Too lazy to go back further in the thread but clearly others felt the same sentiment.
The overwhelming vast majority of Irish fans in here were confident but in no way obnoxious with their comments.
Hell most Kiwis were expecting the Irish to win.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
+1 here. I was naturally nervous, the All Blacks are still to be feared.
What hurts the most is that we didn't play our best. Had we lost while playing our best I'd feel immensely better.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
A lot of people here (not Irish fans) seemed to think you'd walk it. Not sure why as no one is beating New Zealand in a knockout game without putting in a great performance. France beat them with home advantage in the opening game. Not really the same thing.

I fancied Ireland to bottle it but I don't think that happened either. NZ were just extremely good. Although they rode their luck with the yellow card.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
A lot of people here (not Irish fans) seemed to think you'd walk it. Not sure why as no one is beating New Zealand in a knockout game without putting in a great performance. France beat them with home advantage in the opening game. Not really the same thing.

I fancied Ireland to bottle it but I don't think that happened either. NZ were just extremely good. Although they rode their luck with the yellow card.
That’s the thing. A bunch of posters predicted an Ireland win. None of them were Irish. The bookies also had Ireland as favourites. So the fact that none of the Irish posters on here went with that prediction is the exact opposite of the behaviour yer man is accusing us of. It was pretty obvious we were all shitting ourselves and feared the worst after all our QF exits in the past. Which was justified, as it turned out.

I know I should ignore such a stupid post but ho hum, I’m in a bad mood. Sport can do that to you. Seems to happen a lot these days.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That’s the thing. A bunch of posters predicted an Ireland win. None of them were Irish. The bookies also had Ireland as favourites. So the fact that none of the Irish posters on here went with that prediction is the exact opposite of the behaviour yer man is accusing us of. It was pretty obvious we were all shitting ourselves and feared the worst after all our QF exits in the past. Which was justified, as it turned out.

I know I should ignore such a stupid post but ho hum, I’m in a bad mood. Sport can do that to you. Seems to happen a lot these days.
Yeah I'd say if that poster goes back and finds these supposed posts, it'll all be non-Irish folks predicting a comfortable win. We are all too scarred to dare do that tbh, and scarred again tonight.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In general I would say that I have been more optimstic about Ireland than any of the irish posters. It's the english that we need to look at for that kind of things.:smirk:

sport2793

The overwhelming vast majority of Irish fans in here were confident but in no way obnoxious with their comments.
Hell most Kiwis were expecting the Irish to win.
To be fair I never said it was only Irish posters, unsure where that is coming from. Here's the original paragraph I wrote, I said posters in general, didn't specify a nationality, and that is an undeniable fact:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah I'd say if that poster goes back and finds these supposed posts, it'll all be non-Irish folks predicting a comfortable win. We are all too scarred to dare do that tbh, and scarred again tonight.
It fecking sucks. Hurts so much. I have absolutely no doubt that this team, with this performance, would have sailed through almost all our previous QF defeats. But that’s cold comfort. I also think we looked tired towards the end. So playing three tough opponents in a row was also a factor.

But that’s just ifs, buts and maybes. We were beaten by a better team on the night, so have to suck it up.

I do reserve the right to be a grumpy twat about any stupid posts in this thread though. For at least another 24 hours

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Watched the game with my brother who was supporting Ireland. He was raging at me supporting the All Blacks considering we're both approx 68% Irish genetically. Reminded him that my Mum who's 100% Irish is also supporting New Zealand. Great stuff.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
To be fair I never said it was only Irish posters, unsure where that is coming from. Here's the original paragraph I wrote, I said posters in general, didn't specify a nationality, and that is an undeniable fact:
You forgot to include this sentence from your original post.

Irish fans should rightly see this as a kick in the balls for a long time, a complete failure for me and their fans had it coming.

sport2793

You forgot to include this sentence from your original post.
That had nothing to do with the earlier paragraph, I was talking about the game itself which in my view was a huge missed opportunity for Ireland to finally break through. For me it was the try that Jordie Barrett prevented with his last ditch effort in the 72nd minute along with the man advantage for 20 minutes. I should've said the team had it coming instead of the fans which was harsh, they had every chance to win this match in my view.

The Purley King

Despite the 2 yellow cards NZ were clearly superior.
Deserved the win fully.
Ireland yet to win a knockout WC game……. Ever…..
Whoops.

England will shithouse a win against Fiji and will be ahead of Ireland yet again.

Redfrog

Great game.

Ireland were impressive but All Blacks were ace to be honest.

Everyone I know gave Ireland as favorites. But I saw the All Blacks after their defeat and they were great too.

I am thrilled they won. I am french but I used to live in NZ for a couple of years and I feel a deep connection with them.

Rugby just belongs to them. They have and always had the most beautiful game. Rugby will be ugly without them. It’s the reverse of South Africa who are just boring and unwatchable.
All blacks play, pass, try and convert.

Ireland were good all tournament and tonight too. But All blacks have just the better game. No other team can pass like them.

HackeyC

Deserved the win fully.
Whoops.

England will shithouse a win against Fiji and will be ahead of Ireland yet again.
They can do whatever they want, but let's be honest, there is a huge gap between these two teams.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

Yeah it was mainly people going off the fact you beat them in a couple of other games and have been playing well, which isn't the worst logic tbf but it was never a forgone conclusion like some seemed to think, and NZ are nearly always the most brutal team in the world if you make any kind of mistake.

People just like revelling in the other home nations amd Ireland losing I guess. Not sure where the idea Irish fans were being cocky about it is from as ive not seen that. It's just bad luck really. New Zealand vs Ireland in this world cup is semi final/final material, but you're obviously cursed or something.

The Welsh fans I know on the other hand have been very cocky, and have been talking shite about England all tournament just like they always do. So nevermind (even though I'd have shamelessly become Welsh if they'd won and Englamd lost tomorrow)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Deserved the win fully.
Whoops.

It will take a hell of a lot more than a shithouse win against a very poor Fiji team to get ahead of Ireland in the rankings. Nor will you be ahead of either team in tomorrow’s 8pm kick off, no matter who wins that one.

You’re not even ahead of Scotland and their tournament finished last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.