Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Dunno. Depends who we’re up against. We would have pissed all over all four QF teams on the other side of the draw, if we’d played them instead of NZ. C’est la vie. Nothing we could have done about that.
Worthy performance from England though, wouldn’t you agree? We were written off with zero chance before the game

Tyrion

I never understand this. All I can think is I don’t understand the rules and something is very obvious on the field we can’t see
Or the refs don't know either and just guess based on who they think has the most reason to cheat.

eire-red

I think it's time to change the rules around scrum penalties. It incentivises such a scrappy game, and we'd all rather watch the running game like we see with Ireland, France and the All Blacks.

Also, I'd love to see the RWC roll around every 3 years, with 16 teams instead of 20. The career of an international player in rugby is shorter and there's no other major tournaments really, unlike soccer. Less pointless friendlies, more test matches between the top opposition.

Name Changed

weso26
Dunno. Depends who we’re up against. We would have pissed all over all four QF teams on the other side of the draw, if we’d played them instead of NZ. C’est la vie. Nothing we could have done about that.
Wrong side of draw. Simple as that.

No excuses. NZ beat us fair and square.

Best 4 teams on one side of the draw is ridiculous.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Yeah, unfortunately such is life. He’ll be alright yeah. At least United won. Some scant consolation today for your lot. Cheers bud
Cheers matey :)
Yeah, England played very well. Perfect game plan for opposition/conditions and very well executed. Be lying if I said I wasn’t pleased with the result though!
Bloody hell, I’ll take it. Just need @moses and @unchanged_lineup to compliment us and it’ll feel like a win :lol:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This talk of the draw is a bit boring now. We had 4 fantastic quarter finals, 1 tight, close semi and hopefully a great final next week.

Out of the final 7 games, potentially 6 close games that could have gone either way is good.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You generally can't judge a scrum with the initial TV angle but replays tend to expose the issue. The fouls are generally the following:

The scrum as a whole:

- Timing, it means that one of the two or both teams anticipated the push.

On the front line:

- binding of the props, losing or having an improper bind.
- angle of push of the props.
- position of the head of the hooker
- voluntarily turning the scrum which is done by one prop not pushing.
- a player losing his balance

Back-rower:

- The only actual foul I can think about is being disconnected from the scrum while the phase isn't finished, meaning the ball being ejected.

Scrum half:

- The scrum half can't play the ball until it has left the scrum.

The rest of the team:

- They are offside if within 5 meters or if move forward within these 5m before the ball is out.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Getting Pogue to take 5 minutes off from whinging about the draw might actually be a more impressive achievement than winning the trophy would have been. :wenger:
4 close quarters, 1 close semi…..honestly can’t see a problem with a draw that produces that kind of knockout :angel:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
England>Ireland

Pragmatism beats the feel-goods

Edit - except in semis. V SA. The ultimate pragmatists. Feck.

That one hurt.

Zoo

Very rarely will I feel sorry for the England rugby team but that was a tough one for them. The game plan was fantastic and SA were completely rattled. But it’s the details that matter and Jamie George messing up a try scoring opportunity with a simple throw in the corner was key.

Zoo

Two biggest heavyweights in the game meet in a WC final once again. Long overdue.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I think it's time to change the rules around scrum penalties. It incentivises such a scrappy game, and we'd all rather watch the running game like we see with Ireland, France and the All Blacks.

Also, I'd love to see the RWC roll around every 3 years, with 16 teams instead of 20. The career of an international player in rugby is shorter and there's no other major tournaments really, unlike soccer. Less pointless friendlies, more test matches between the top opposition.
There are no pointless friendlies in rugby etc.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Matt Williams saying at the end they should go back to not giving technical scrum penalties. Hard to disagree. The decisions seem to be so arbitrary.
Some refs will encourage the team to play it if it’s playable, which to me is preferable. Others will give pens really quick. The painful one was the one that just crabbed sideways. There was no dominance, the whole scrum went sideways, so why wasn’t it reset? Such is life though, we’ve had the opportunity to watch O’Keefe ref a week ago so can’t say we weren’t ready for how he’d red the scrum

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Some refs will encourage the team to play it if it’s playable, which to me is preferable. Others will give pens really quick. The painful one was the one that just crabbed sideways. There was no dominance, the whole scrum went sideways, so why wasn’t it reset? Such is life though, we’ve had the opportunity to watch O’Keefe ref a week ago so can’t say we weren’t ready for how he’d red the scrum
I feel like those used to be reset more often.

The "just play on" ones actually baffle me in the context of the overly stringent reffing. I'd be ok with it if it was consistent, but it isn't.

I don't think we should remove the chance for scrum dominance though. It's an equally valid part of the game to me and I'd be sad to see scrum contests go. Teams that are good at it deserve for it to be reflected.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I feel like those used to be reset more often.

The "just play on" ones actually baffle me in the context of the overly stringent reffing. I'd be ok with it if it was consistent, but it isn't.

I don't think we should remove the chance for scrum dominance though. It's an equally valid part of the game to me and I'd be sad to see scrum contests go. Teams that are good at it deserve for it to be reflected.
Absolutely. I’ll have to rewatch it but I think O’Keefe was awarding the pen before there was real dominance. There was one notable one where they ran us over but the others were little shunts or straight sideways - they shouldn’t be pens, they should be use it or reset (in my opinion, not saying he got the rules wrong)

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Absolutely. I’ll have to rewatch it but I think O’Keefe was awarding the pen before there was real dominance. There was one notable one where they ran us over but the others were little shunts or straight sideways - they shouldn’t be pens, they should be use it or reset (in my opinion, not saying he got the rules wrong)
I absolutely hate this "painting a picture to the ref" stuff that commentators here i.e. Alan Quinlan and Donal Lenihan go on about.
Refs should be smarter than to be affected for the rest of the game by how the first few scrums go. It's daft if refs are actually operating that way and I hope these commentators are wrong.
The penalty you're talking about suggests they are though.
SA were utterly dominant in all the second half scrums and got that contestable penalty to win the match.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Your inability to get part a QF suggests you wouldn’t.

Withnail

Congrats to the All Blacks
Nah NZ aren't all that in comparison to teams of the past and haven't been able to consistently performed at their top level. Not that I'm writing them off.

SA didn't get up to the pitch of the game tonight and maybe slightly underestimated England. The weather was atrocious as well which is always a bit of a leveller.

I'd expect SA to take this as a wake up call. Hopefully the weather is better and we see the best of both teams next week but I wouldn't really read much into tonight's performance in relation to next week.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
There’s not one neutral who watched this tournament (and followed rugby over the last 18 months) who would disagree with what I just said. Make of that what you will.
But you were the favourites going into the game against the All Blacks - so seems silly to say you would have easily beaten other teams you would have been favoured against on paper. Especially if a win meant getting past the QF stage.

Withnail

But you were the favourites going into the game against the All Blacks - so seems silly to say you would have easily beaten other teams you would have been favoured against on paper. Especially if a win meant getting past the QF stage.
You're not making a huge amount of an sense. Are you saying that the fact the we were favourites against NZ (and narrowly lost) means we wouldn't have had too much for England, Argentina, Fiji or Wales?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Woke up with a pounding headache and a crushing sense of loss.

feck South Africa. No, I like South Africa. Beautiful country, nice food, sexy women. feck Wales instead

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
England massively overachieved overall but so annoying that in the end it all came down to just getting bullied at the scrums

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with the irish posters. England was the best team in the other side of the draw and the big issue for England against Ireland is that slow methodical game based on kicking and rucks is still Ireland bread and butter, they just added the ability to also run all over you. On the other end in the past 24 months South Africa game hasn't really been about their traditional ruck territorial game and jackal, they have played a game that is a lot closer to the very good Wallabies and England made them suffer in areas that have been sort of weaknesses I mentioned it earlier during this WC but SA misses The Beast, Malcolm Marx and a prime Vermeulen those three were turnover machines that haven't been replaced at all.

lynchie

What's with the narrative that England massively over-performed? From the start they were expected to have a free run to the semis by avoiding any tier 1 teams, and then lose against their first decent opposition. Which is exactly what happened. Well done on meeting expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.