Ryan Fraser on a free

Patchbeard

He doesn’t really add anything to the side apart from strenght in numbers does he though? He’s very similar to James apart from being left footed.

With the funds raised from the summer we should be looking to add players capable of pushing the ones we already have down the pecking order.
He's right footed...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yes, Bournemouth’s second best player is exactly who we need to bring back the glory days.
That kind of thinking would never get us in a position where we can’t compete. We have to pick the best available talent that wants to join us, and most of the time it won’t be top players from Barcelona and Juventus.

Most of the best teams of recent years had been built largely by picking out the best talent from smaller teams.

0le

I don't get it, aren't threads opened in the transfer forum without any links locked?

AFC NimbleThumb

His stats are far better then Blomqvist/park
You can’t compare the stats of Park/Blomqvist at United to those of a player pre-United [& that’s if we are to sign Fraser].

Park’s stats pre United stats look favourable vs Frasers at the age of 25. Fraser, 215 apps, 28 goals. Park, at 25 [having played 1 season at United] 223 apps, 31 goals. I cba to look at date of birth but even discounting his season at United he had 178 apps, 29 goals. I also cba to compare the J League to the SPL of their eras but ‘far better’ stats? Maybe you have assist stats that weigh heavily in Frasers favour. . . again I cba to look for those as all I did was state an opinion.

If you want to argue he’s a better player/prospect fine but don’t talk nonsense as fact to do so.

You’ve started me now so I’ve also looked at Blomqvist who by 25 had [I’m using Wiki & they don’t have cup stats for his time at Umeå nor Göteborg] 191 apps, 29 goals.

His stats are not ‘far better’ than either player at the age of 25. His standard of competition given he plays in the EPL certainly is but you wanted to talk stats.

I’ve done a number of the calculations in my head/on my phone so I might be incorrect but unless I see a vastly superior assist ratio to either then your post is quite frankly, a lie.

EDIT : Cup stats are sketchy for all 3 based on wiki tbh, before the “but he scored 7 goals for Celtic in a Scottish Cup Semi-Final” reply comes in.

Lee565

Yeah I would, was very good last season and better than anyone we have on set pieces, dont get why we are still acting snobbish towards these type of players, liverpool have done alright with midtable players like wijnaldum, Henderson, shaqiri, milner.

Scholsey2004

Very good player, real assist machine but he plays on the left. That's really not what we need.

Scholsey2004

I don't get it, aren't threads opened in the transfer forum without any links locked?
In fairness if we're talking about a player who'd be on a free then surely that gets a free pass? I mean, everyone will be looking at him won't they?

SungSam7

He doesn’t really add anything to the side apart from strenght in numbers does he though? He’s very similar to James apart from being left footed.

With the funds raised from the summer we should be looking to add players capable of pushing the ones we already have down the pecking order.
Fraser is right footed.

I personally wouldn't mind him, he's a step up from Rashford to be honest. He's not a total pace merchant and plays for the team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You can’t compare the stats of Park/Blomqvist at United to those of a player pre-United [& that’s if we are to sign Fraser].

Park’s stats pre United stats look favourable vs Frasers at the age of 25. Fraser, 215 apps, 28 goals. Park, at 25 [having played 1 season at United] 223 apps, 31 goals. I cba to look at date of birth but even discounting his season at United he had 178 apps, 29 goals. I also cba to compare the J League to the SPL of their eras but ‘far better’ stats? Maybe you have assist stats that weigh heavily in Frasers favour. . . again I cba to look for those as all I did was state an opinion.

If you want to argue he’s a better player/prospect fine but don’t talk nonsense as fact to do so.

You’ve started me now so I’ve also looked at Blomqvist who by 25 had [I’m using Wiki & they don’t have cup stats for his time at Umeå nor Göteborg] 191 apps, 29 goals.

His stats are not ‘far better’ than either player at the age of 25. His standard of competition given he plays in the EPL certainly is but you wanted to talk stats.

I’ve done a number of the calculations in my head/on my phone so I might be incorrect but unless I see a vastly superior assist ratio to either then your post is quite frankly, a lie.

EDIT : Cup stats are sketchy for all 3 based on wiki tbh, before the “but he scored 7 goals for Celtic in a Scottish Cup Semi-Final” reply comes in.
You can't compare stats from the EPL, Holland and Sweden as the level of football between the three leagues vary greatly. So let's focus on their time in the EPL instead
Last season Fraser was the second highest assist man in the EPL with 14 assist. That's better then Eriksen and Pogba + 1 less to Eden Hazard. Considering he was playing for Bournemouth rather then a more attacking side like Shitty that's quite an achievement

I rated blomqvist and Park highly. The former allowed United to keep its tempo when Giggs got injured/needed rest which was crucial in the treble team while the latter compensated for Ronaldo's lack of workrate. Unlike the Butts and the Phil Nevs, we're talking of squad players who were actually crucial to the team. However fraser is different. We are talking here of someone whose got first team potential here

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd let it run down if I were him. I reckon he could get a move to a bigger club.

settembrini

Why does everyone keep saying this?

We have one left winger in James.
We have three. Rashford, James and Chong.

Gomes also got some time there in pre-season and looked good and there's no reason why guys like Lingard, Greenwood or Pereira couldn't play there instead of on the right.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Excuse me, so nothing then...
Apart from more goals and assists last year than any of our wide players, in a worse team?

This is a problem with the United fanbase recently. People are never happy.

If we buy from teams below us they're not good enough. If we buy from teams above us they're washed up and mercenaries joining for money.

Just look at how Maguire / AWB have walked into our team and instantly improved it from "worse teams".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't care about how big a name he is. What's important is how much quality he adds. We don't need more 'options' who will do a job, but genuinely class and output.

Can't say I've seen enough of Fraser or noticed him that much.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

You can't compare stats from the EPL, Holland and Sweden as the level of football between the three leagues vary greatly. So let's focus on their time in the EPL instead
Last season Fraser was the second highest assist man in the EPL with 14 assist. That's better then Eriksen and Pogba + 1 less to Eden Hazard. Considering he was playing for Bournemouth rather then a more attacking side like Shitty that's quite an achievement

I rated blomqvist and Park highly. The former allowed United to keep its tempo when Giggs got injured/needed rest which was crucial in the treble team while the latter compensated for Ronaldo's lack of workrate. Unlike the Butts and the Phil Nevs, we're talking of squad players who were actually crucial to the team. However fraser is different. We are talking here of someone whose got first team potential here

You can’t really use stats to compare players with JSP. He wasn’t all about attacking stats, he was a great player, a workhorse ball winner and was there to hustle attackers.

JSP was twice the player of Fraser and is a completely different type of player to Blomqvist.

JSP also got the assist of the assist for the brilliant counter attacker from Rooney to Ronaldo. That alone makes him great :D

Raw

Definitely open to it. On the left we have James and Martial. On the right we have James (in a position that isn't his favoured one). It's thin as feck, hence why we're having to rely on throwing players out of their favoured positions on the wings. Fraser can alternate with James on both flanks and add much needed depth (or more if he makes an instant impact). Then get a proper RW (Sancho being the absolute dream) and suddenly our attack looks like:

ST: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood
LW: James, Martial, Fraser
RW: Sancho, Fraser, James

If we are to compete in multiple competitions at once, we need all the depth and competition we can get (look at City's options ffs). Still think it needs a better striker though, but we'll see how Rashford and Martial do.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We have three. Rashford, James and Chong.

Gomes also got some time there in pre-season and looked good and there's no reason why guys like Lingard, Greenwood or Pereira couldn't play there instead of on the right.
If we want to actually improve just those isn't going to cut it though. Rashford isn't good enough there, and Chong is a kid who isn't ready. Lingard, Greenwood, and Pereira would just be forcing players into the wrong position like we've fallen foul of for a long time.

If we want to improve our squad we need players that are fit for purpose.

Zlatattack

Him and James on the left would be excellent options. Martial upfront, with either Rashford or another striker for competition. We need a top signing for RW though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You can’t really use stats to compare players with JSP. He wasn’t all about attacking stats, he was a great player, a workhorse ball winner and was there to hustle attackers.

JSP was twice the player of Fraser and is a completely different type of player to Blomqvist.

JSP also got the assist of the assist for the brilliant counter attacker from Rooney to Ronaldo. That alone makes him great :D
Well Fraser isn't anywhere near to JSP in terms of workrate. However he compensate to that with a mean cross, a good eye for goal and loads of assists. He's got experiences in defence so his work rate can be improved. Technically I think he's slightly better then JSP and would slot in right within the cover/competition role we need alongside James and Martial

I constantly getting criticised for belittling this British core nonsense only to get criticised when I actually support us signing a British player. I really can't really win in this forum.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He will be good addition. Creates so many chances and also free transfer. If we have chance then hopefully we try to buy him in Jan for small fee. We have thin squad so players like him can add lot to the team.

settembrini

If we want to actually improve just those isn't going to cut it though. Rashford isn't good enough there, and Chong is a kid who isn't ready. Lingard, Greenwood, and Pereira would just be forcing players into the wrong position like we've fallen foul of for a long time.

If we want to improve our squad we need players that are fit for purpose.
Fraser was very good last season, easily the best season of his career. Before that Rashford was clearly the better player despite being significantly younger. I think you should wait and see how Rashford does this season as a left winger under Solskjaer before deciding he isn't good enough and that Fraser would be an improvement. In the three games he has played in that position this season Rashford has got us 2 goals and 1 assist which is a good return. To be fair I'll do the same and if come the end of the season Fraser has outperformed Rashford then maybe I'll change my tune and think he would be a good signing.

Chong is ready for some playing time. Not as a regular starter of course but he should be getting games in the cup competitions this season. The other players were just to show we have cover in case of an emergency.

JohnnyLaw

Apart from more goals and assists last year than any of our wide players, in a worse team?

This is a problem with the United fanbase recently. People are never happy.

If we buy from teams below us they're not good enough. If we buy from teams above us they're washed up and mercenaries joining for money.

Just look at how Maguire / AWB have walked into our team and instantly improved it from "worse teams".
Oh come off it will you.

I have no issue with Fraser but we already have Rashford and Daniel James who are both best suited to the LW. If we were going to add Fraser we should’ve done so before we got James. Ole’s just purged the squad, he’s not likely to want to start stockpiling players again when we’ve got other positions that need filling and with the cash to spend from summer sales there’s no need to bargain hunt. Especially not for positions we’re already stocked in.

Also, while Bournemouth are a weaker team to us overall they’re clealy a strong attacking team, barely weaker than us last season in fact. Had Ole not come in when he did they’d probably be close to matching us on goals scored.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fraser was very good last season, easily the best season of his career. Before that Rashford was clearly the better player despite being significantly younger. I think you should wait and see how Rashford does this season as a left winger under Solskjaer before deciding he isn't good enough and that Fraser would be an improvement. In the three games he has played in that position this season Rashford has got us 2 goals and 1 assist which is a good return. To be fair I'll do the same and if come the end of the season Fraser has outperformed Rashford then maybe I'll change my tune and think he would be a good signing.

Chong is ready for some playing time. Not as a regular starter of course but he should be getting games in the cup competitions this season. The other players were just to show we have cover in case of an emergency.
I'm thinking about the quality of the squad as much as anything though. I think it needs bolstering and this would be a positive step.