Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He wants the Southampton job.

He won't even be in the running, Giggs really needs to suck it up and prove himself in the lower leagues. He's at the age now where he really should be establishing himself as a manager.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He won't get it. His mates won't be happy. He should try to get a job further down the leagues first.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Would command respect from the players and would be able to get a level of player they can't currently get.

Would be a great appointment.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think Southampton would do very well to go for someone like Giggs. He would try and play attractive expansive football that the fans would enjoy. My only worry is the trigger happy Southampton board who don't see, to look long term any more. Either way would be a good way for Giggs to earn some managerial credit if he gets the he job.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I think the Crystal Palace job would be a better choice for him to start his managerial career.

AndyJ1985

He hasn't got a hope in hell of getting that job. Southampton have more sense than that. There's been plenty of jobs going in the championship, funny how he hasn't been keen on any of them.

Marcelinho87

Would command respect from the players and would be able to get a level of player they can't currently get.

Really? How would he attract anything they can't already? Great player doesn't make him a great manager and it is still Southampton.

BenjaminP

If he lands the job, he would be able to get a lot of United loanees.
Improves his squad + gives our youngsters experience. Win Win for both!

Angelinho

Big risk for any PL club to pick someone that has never managed before (bar 4 games). The consequences of relegation are just too severe.

If Giggs wants to manage in the PL, his best bet would be to find a club lower down, and get them promoted into it.

Oscie

With the wages PL clubs can offer top managers, it'd have to be a pretty rotten set-up for any club to fail to attract one and appoint someone with zero management experience but a bucket load of entitlement.

Giggs could have walked into any job below PL level the moment he retired. The ship has sailed. He either accepts a lower league job or the rest of his career will be as filler in Lee Dixon and Ian Wright sandwich. He stands as much chance of getting a Premier League job as Barrymore has of hosting another Saturday night prime time television series.

InfiniteBoredom

If he lands the job, he would be able to get a lot of United loanees.
Improves his squad + gives our youngsters experience. Win Win for both!
I suspect the club that developed Bale,AOC, Shaw, Llana etc.. will be more keen on their own youths rather than United's.

kps88

He's going to be stuck doing TV work for a while unless he lowers his expectations.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm not going to knock for him wanting the Southampton job. That's said, he's got minimal managerial experience and I think Southampton would be advised to look at somebody more experienced. I think the Middlesborough job would have been a reasonable club to start his managerial career.

Needham

He's going to be stuck doing TV work for a while unless he lowers his expectations.
No no, this is clever from Giggs. He's forcing Swansea to play their hand while fluttering his eyelashes at Southampton. It's not outrageous to insinuate that he might secretly manage one while employed by the other on, say, an 8 year contract.

Heardy

I love Giggs as a player, but this sticks of self-entitlement.

What he did at United at fantastic, but he should not expect top-8 PL teams crawling over each other to offer himself a Managerial job. Should try and earn his stripes as a manager rather than expect that instant golden ticket.

PeteManic

I've more chance of getting it. He'd go better holding on until Wales fail to qualify for the WC2018 and he takes that job.

InfiniteBoredom

Tbf, I would say that while Giggs is a very risky appointment from Soton's perspective, and most likely they won't give it to him, there are a few pluses. He's committed to attacking football, he's open to nurturing youths, which fits with the tradition there. If he works out for them they will get a decent tenure out of him since Utd and Mourinho aren't likely to part ways anytime soon, and even then we mightn't feel it's prudent to try Giggs, play some attractive football and maybe get a player or two from the youth ranks to a good level.

That being said, the same applies to a horde of aspiring young managers out there with way more experience than Giggs, and without the media baggage a man of his reputation/notoriety command.

itso 7

I'm not going to knock for him wanting the Southampton job. That's said, he's got minimal managerial experience and I think Southampton would be advised to look at somebody more experienced. I think the Middlesborough job would have been a reasonable club to start his managerial career.
I don't see them offering him that job and rightly so when Swansea wouldn't touch him. Middlesbrough and a host of other championship clubs would be the right first step in his career but if he keeps waiting he will soon become a fifty year old novice.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Yeah never mind his ability to actually, you know, coach and manage a football club.

Oscie

Even the coaching experience he does have he got through the club that employed him feeling obligated to keep him around. The stories that we had to make 'keep Giggs' part of our negotiations terms with our post-Ferguson managers is just embarrassing. We don't even know how good he was at that. Van Gaal spoke of him repeatedly as his successor at the club. The board wouldn't go from 'he's our next guy' to 'Oh you want him fired? Okay, he's gone'. At least until Jose showed up and everyone came to their senses.

Maybe clubs interested have sought feedback on how he was as a coach, and weren't impressed?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He'd go better holding on until Wales fail to qualify for the WC2018 and he takes that job.
Agreed. Coleman's time in the Wales post will likely be over next summer and that feels like the best outcome for Giggs. Follow Mark Hughes' pathway to Premier League management. Politically familiarise himself with many of the club's and their backroom staff during the NT post and then work an angle into one of those clubs.

PeteManic

Agreed. Coleman's time in the Wales post will likely be over next summer and that feels like the best outcome for Giggs. Follow Mark Hughes' pathway to Premier League management. Politically familiarise himself with many of the club's and their backroom staff during the NT post and then work an angle into one of those clubs.
I've heard from a very close source that the Wales set up is far from professional. They won't qualify so it's a certainty that Coleman will go.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Frogie won't let him go to the Wales interview.

acnumber9

I'm unclear as to how wanting a job is self entitlement. Or why the Daily Mail 'understanding' something is seen as gospel.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's going to get stuck if he doesn't lower his expectations.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is he determined to get a job in PL? If he is he could be waiting a very long time for a team willing to take a risk with him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Swansea is the worst team in the league on the basis of current performances. They are going down regardless of who the manager is. If Giggs is offered the job he only needs to decide whether he wants to gain that management experience or would he rather not have relegation with his first job on the CV. IMO, he'd be better of not taking the job even if he's offered. But it would be fun to watch him as a manager. I would certainly watch all Swansea games.
A good manager is able to do wonders and ended up keeping them up.

Giggs can't just wait for the safe jobs. He will be waiting for a very long time then.

opopop

Awaiting Southampton to hire a highly rated foreign manager with years of experience and for the Soccer Saturday crew to lament Giggsy not getting a chance.

GBBQ

Is he determined to get a job in PL? If he is he could be waiting a very long time for a team willing to take a risk with him.
Exactly. Considering the finances available in the Premier League a side like Southampton is going to be a very attractive option to a lot of good managers. Don't see why Southampton would take a risk on Giggs when they can attract a lot of managers with a good track record.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Unless it's all media conjecture and bollocks (it being Swans and SOTON gigs) and Ryan isn't really that hard for a managerial job, it's fecking staggering how little ambition he's showing for his to be managerial career.

Mindhunter

I hope he gets the job. And keeps rejecting all Liverpool bids for his players till eternity.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It would be a risk Southampton don't need to take, really. They've got a very good team that's performing well year after year, manager after manager. I don't see the point in them giving a first time manager a go and potentially disrupting that.

Having said that there's nothing wrong with Giggs himself wanting the job. It would be a dream job to land as your first. Also, it's not a given that he'd fail either. Southampton have got a strong base and style of football that wouldn't require the manager reinventing the wheel.

Varun

Staff
Unless it's all media conjecture and bollocks (it being Swans and SOTON gigs) and Ryan isn't really that hard for a managerial job, it's fecking staggering how little ambition he's showing for his to be managerial career.
If anything, he's showing too much ambition if he intends to start his managerial career at a Southampton instead of a lower club

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why doesn't he move in the Championship?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If anything, he's showing too much ambition if he intends to start his managerial career at a Southampton instead of a lower club
Starting at midtable club is much sager option than lower club. You get decent players, decent facilities rather than planning to loan xyz players every season.