Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Real's and Barca's second teams are swinging back and forth between second and third divisions. Coaching there is literally coaching a lower division club.

Being a youth coach or assistant manager at a club gives bosses the perfect opportunity to assess someone's coaching capabilites from close range.

Hiddink and Magath and van Gaal were assistants at the same club which promoted them to head coach. With Giggs were talking about a job at an unrelated club though.

I also never said that it is a hinderance to have been a great player, just that there are enough example to suggest that the two aren't necessarily connected.
Again, we are talking about people who took over big job instead of lower league, so them having as much experience as Assistant manager adds nothing here. Giggs was also Assistant manager at ManUtd under Van Gaal. Being youth coach and managing bunch of youngsters is very much different from managing bunch of grown ups.

Again you are just giving excuses that they were assistant managers at the same club whereas Giggs is from different club. They were given jobs because they convinced the decision makers about their vision, same thing might happen with Giggs but for some reason so much rubbish is posted about him.

No, managing B teams is not exactly like coaching proper clubs where the pressure of promotion and relegation is massive.

Re your last point, I don't even know why you brought it in the first place.

For the last time, coaching young players or behind assistant manager is very much different from being the head coach where you makes all the decisions for the team and manage grown up/superstars and massive egos.

Zlatattack

Not going to happen. He needs to bite the bullet and try at a smaller club first.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Has anyone got that gif of when we were 1-0 down at home to Sunderland, and our players were leisurely strolling around the pitch instead of pressing?

When Giggs was manager, of course.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Again, we are talking about people who took over big job instead of lower league, so them having as much experience as Assistant manager adds nothing here. Giggs was also Assistant manager at ManUtd under Van Gaal. Being youth coach and managing bunch of youngsters is very much different from managing bunch of grown ups.

Again you are just giving excuses that they were assistant managers at the same club whereas Giggs is from different club. They were given jobs because they convinced the decision makers about their vision, same thing might happen with Giggs but for some reason so much rubbish is posted about him.

No, managing B teams is not exactly like coaching proper clubs where the pressure of promotion and relegation is massive.

Re your last point, I don't even know why you brought it in the first place.

For the last time, coaching young players or behind assistant manager is very much different from being the head coach where you makes all the decisions for the team and manage grown up/superstars and massive egos.
Real Madrid and Barca (most clubs for that matter) sometimes promote coaches from lower roles within their ranks, yes? And how often do you see them hire an assistant manager or second team coach from a different club as head coach? Right, never. You think that's a coincidence?
Hiring someone who has little to no work experience carries a big risk indeed, so that usually only happens when you have other factors to balance that out, like for example knowing the candidate and his methods inside out, because you've been watching his day to day work for years.

roonster09

Scout
Real Madrid and Barca (most clubs for that matter) sometimes promote coaches from lower roles within their ranks, yes? And how often do you see them hire an assistant manager or second team coach from a different club as head coach? Right, never. You think that's a coincidence?
Hiring someone who has little to no work experience carries a big risk indeed, so that usually only happens when you have other factors to balance that out, like for example knowing the candidate and his methods inside out, because you've been watching his day to day work for years.
Why only Madrid and Barca.

Mark Hughes was appointed at Midtable PL club without any club level experience.
Villas Boas was hired without any experience as head coach.
Koeman went from Barca's assistant to head coach at Vitesse
Mancini - Fiorentina without any experience as coach.
Pochettino - No experience as headcoach before landing Espanyol job.
Puel
Klinsmann - Manager of National team and then appointed as Bayern coach when he had 0 experience at club level
Rijkaard - Manager of the National team without any experience.
Luis Enrique - Big club like Roma appointed Barca B coach.
Montella - head coach of Catania
Mihajlović - Head coach of Bologna
Pellegrino - Head coach of Valencia when he was assistant at Liverpool and Inter
Simeone - Head coach of Racing as soon as he was done with playing

Needham

Curious, why does everyone have such a low opinion of Giggs's prospects as a manager?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Curious, why does everyone have such a low opinion of Giggs's prospects as a manager?
It's not a low opinion, it's more the fact that some were advocating giving him the United job based on the fact that he knows the club and all of that. Most on here agreed that he needs to prove himself before getting a big job. He might be a fantastic manager but we don't know that yet.

Needham

It's not a low opinion, it's more the fact that some were advocating giving him the United job based on the fact that he knows the club and all of that. Most on here agreed that he needs to prove himself before getting a big job. He might be a fantastic manager but we don't know that yet.
But there's definitely some kind of negative fans vibe around Giggs and management. Contrast that with before Keane took the job at Sunderland when most people were itching to see him get stuck into management on the assumption that he could be top draw.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why only Madrid and Barca.

Mark Hughes was appointed at Midtable PL club without any club level experience.
Villas Boas was hired without any experience as head coach.
Koeman went from Barca's assistant to head coach at Vitesse
Mancini - Fiorentina without any experience as coach.
Pochettino - No experience as headcoach before landing Espanyol job.
Puel
Klinsmann - Manager of National team and then appointed as Bayern coach when he had 0 experience at club level
Rijkaard - Manager of the National team without any experience.
Luis Enrique - Big club like Roma appointed Barca B coach.
Montella - head coach of Catania
Mihajlović - Head coach of Bologna
Pellegrino - Head coach of Valencia when he was assistant at Liverpool and Inter
Simeone - Head coach of Racing as soon as he was done with playing

First of all that is not what we were talking about, secondly that list isn't even correct.

Rijkaard started out as an assitant manager to Hiddink.
Montella was working as a youth coach for Roma before coaching half a season there.
Puel from what I can tell worked for Monaco's second team and as an assistant manager before being promoted there.
Klinsmann as I've already mentioned was splitting his position with Löw and then horribly failed at Bayern.
Pellegrini worked two years at Valencia (prior to his assistant job) before being hired by them.

Then you're comparing clubs like Bologna, Espanyol, Vitesse and Academia Coimbra to Southampton?

Sure, there are always exceptions like Roma hiring Lucho, but they aren't exactly many and their success rate isn't exactly high.

Last edited:

youngrell

But there's definitely some kind of negative fans vibe around Giggs and management. Contrast that with before Keane took the job at Sunderland when most people were itching to see him get stuck into management on the assumption that he could be top draw.
There's a negative fans vibe around anything to do with Giggs on this forum, it seems.

Robertd0803

To be fair I don't think Thiago has been all that great for Bayern. However, we are no where near the level of Bayern as of yet either.
I don't think Thiago is all that. He's usually really underwhelming against the big boys, IMO. Would Mourinho be happy with such a player? I'm not sure, i think the recommendation from Giggsy wasn't a bad one, i know unpopular opinion.
True Thiago to Bayern hasn't turned out like he would have hoped but the Bayern had the strength in depth there we certainly didn't have in 2013/2014 and we were all clamouring for Thiago to join. At the time the thought of Thiago was really really appealing-he would have been an automatic first teamer instead of trying to get in to Bayerns midfield (and in the end we ended up with only Fellaini in that window).

James Peril

Why would anyone hire Ryan Giggs as their manager if they have a bit of aspiration? Southampton are a good club, capable of beating good sides every season. You don't get anything for free as an ex-footballer, especially as he has basically only seen success in his career. Hardship and tough times should not be underestimated, especially from a tactical and managerial point of view. Furthermore, I feel for many of these pensioners, it sometimes just looks like they want something to do with their time - they are not necessarily and genuinely interested in management. It's an easy ticket into the game compared to the average person, but it stops there and rightly so!

Just look at that documentary/short film about Ryan Giggs and his short stint as Manchester United-manager a few years ago when Moyes was sacked, he seemed totally unprofessional and irrational. Almost like an FM-manager suddenly in control of the real deal. Not taking anything away from Ryan Giggs though, he might become a great manager in the end - but he needs to start somewhere like everyone else. He could get lucky with some cowboy-chairman in the Premier League, but that would also automatically mean that interference would be strong and relegation guaranteed. Just look at Hull hiring that Russian guy, there is a 100% chance they will not promote next season and he will most definitely be sacked.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

roonster09

Scout
First of all that is not what we were talking about, secondly that list isn't even correct.

Rijkaard started out as an assitant manager to Hiddink.
Montella was working as a youth coach for Roma before coaching half a season there.
Puel from what I can tell worked for Monaco's second team and as an assistant manager before being promoted there.
Klinsmann as I've already mentioned was splitting his position with Löw and then horribly failed at Bayern.
Pellegrini worked two years at Valencia (prior to his assistant job) being hired by them.

Then you're comparing clubs like Bologna, Espanyol, Vitesse and Academia Coimbra to Southhampton?

Sure, there are always exceptions like Roma hiring Lucho, but they aren't exactly many and their success rate isn't exactly high.
Fair about Rijkaard.
Montella was interim manager just like Giggs was Interim manager at ManUtd after Moyes was sacked.
Klinsmann - again excuses. Doesn't matter who his assistant was and doesn't matter if he failed at Bayern. He was hired.
Pellegrino wasn't promoted, he left and worked as Asst manager at various clubs, was jobless for 2 years when he was hired.

Again, you are trying to change the subject here. How does it matter how big a club Southampton is, they are midtable to lower table in PL and just few years back they were in 3rd division. Bologna, Espanyol are midtable clubs in their league.

There are many more examples, just that I'm not arsed to go through one by one. Like I said, If Giggs lands Southampton or any PL job it's not because of his name or some connections. It's because he did (will do) well in his interview and convince the owners about his plans/vision.

Btw Blanc also got high profile job as his first job.

The Hacker

Big challenge! Although I'm sure the costs of players to Liverpool might increase somewhat.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Fair about Rijkaard.
Montella was interim manager just like Giggs was Interim manager at ManUtd after Moyes was sacked.
Klinsmann - again excuses. Doesn't matter who his assistant was and doesn't matter if he failed at Bayern. He was hired.
Pellegrino wasn't promoted, he left and worked as Asst manager at various clubs, was jobless for 2 years when he was hired.

Again, you are trying to change the subject here. How does it matter how big a club Southampton is, they are midtable to lower table in PL and just few years back they were in 3rd division. Bologna, Espanyol are midtable clubs in their league.

There are many more examples, just that I'm not arsed to go through one by one. Like I said, If Giggs lands Southampton or any PL job it's not because of his name or some connections. It's because he did (will do) well in his interview and convince the owners about his plans/vision.

Btw Blanc also got high profile job as his first job.
It's not an excuse just because you can't grasp his role. The same goes for the stature of Southampton compared to Portuguese, Italian, Spanish or Dutch midtable teams/relegation candidates and the vast difference in options that stems from it. But I'm done wasting my time on you know. Good luck.

roonster09

Scout
It's not an excuse just because you can't grasp his role. The same goes for the stature of Southampton compared to Portuguese, Italian, Spanish or Dutch midtable teams/relegation candidates and the vast difference in options that stems from it. But I'm done wasting my time on you know. Good luck.
:lol: Again with this bull shit.

Ignore all the examples, spout nonsense - rinse repeat.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I thank God he didn't get the Swansea job, the man's a scrote. Fingers crossed he doesn't get the Wales job after Coleman.

flappyjay

Can't blame Ryan for being extra careful it's a very important decision because if you find yourself at a mess of club it can kill your career.

1:Gaz went to that circus at Valencia, look at him now
2:Ole went to that mess at Cardiff, now he has went back to Norway to build up a reputation after the Cardiff mess

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Yeah I don't understand why, i was speaking more of my own perspective which is shared by many here. Negativity on this forum stretches beyond Giggs :lol:

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
This sense of entitlement that Ryan feels to get job that he does not deserve is so stupid. No way Southampton are stupid enough to give him the job. Plenty of managers who will do the job for them before ryan. He needs to start from a smaller club. I think he may still hope that mourinho fails at united and he gets given the job.

youngrell

This sense of entitlement that Ryan feels to get job that he does not deserve is so stupid. No way Southampton are stupid enough to give him the job. Plenty of managers who will do the job for them before ryan. He needs to start from a smaller club. I think he may still hope that mourinho fails at united and he gets given the job.
If there was a job in your professional field, which seemed to have very good prospects for you and an improvement on your current position, would you not show interest?

Nothing wrong with showing an interest in a job, its not like he's claiming publicly that he's the best option available to them.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Southampton in the past few season has always been a strong team in the premier league. I guess that would end if he is appointed. Joke aside, I believe he is capable of doing a good job at Southampton as long as he shows some passion for the job and imposes a working philosophy. End Sub

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
If there was a job in your professional field, which seemed to have very good prospects for you and an improvement on your current position, would you not show interest?

Nothing wrong with showing an interest in a job, its not like he's claiming publicly that he's the best option available to them.
I wouldnt think whole world needs to sit on my dick because i was a good at my old profession.

Sigma

FullTimeDevils seem to think Ryan Giggs wants the job (14:10)

ITK :lol:

If Southampton go for him they'll get relegated, or he'll be sacked during the season.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hope he gets it and hope he proves some of you moany fcukers wrong...

Flying_Heckfish

He's in a bit of a limbo since being let go by us. He must have been told many times that he was being groomed for the role - and now he does have to go and prove himself all over.

If he was really ambitious he could try again as assistant somewhere else. Regain the reputation while insulating himself against massive failure.

Sometimes, you first have to go backwards to go forwards again. At the moment he is just wasting time.

itso 7

He's in a bit of a limbo since being let go by us. He must have been told many times that he was being groomed for the role - and now he does have to go and prove himself all over.

If he was really ambitious he could try again as assistant somewhere else. Regain the reputation while insulating himself against massive failure.

Sometimes, you first have to go backwards to go forwards again. At the moment he is just wasting time.
He was fecked the moment Woodward saw through the sentimantal bullshit that was being sold by his buddies in the media now the only way he has to go to be taken seriously as a manager is to do the hard graft and go to the lower leagues to prove himself.

Flying_Heckfish

He was fecked the moment Woodward saw through the sentimantal bullshit that was being sold by his buddies in the media now the only way he has to go to be taken seriously as a manager is to do the hard graft and go to the lower leagues to prove himself.
Indeed. No one else will give him anything for sentimental reasons. The Wales job might even be far from a gimmie, considering how he treated his call ups (not that I was complaining at the time).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Tough ask to go straight in at Premier league level.
Southampton's best bet is probably a top 8 finish, and even if he achieves that would anyone be too impressed? Unless they played glorious football and laid down some sort of "philosophy"

The other way is even riskier, try your hand at a lower league team. It gave Incey a real start at Macclesfield.
If Salford City were a little further along the road that might be an easy way in, but Conference North would be a mad start

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Just a matter of time until he becomes our manager in my opinion.

Great thing about Jose is he gets the job done first - how we play is relatively secondary. We already saw fans making some noises throughout the season that is covered up by the great results.

The great results will continue but when they start to deriorate; what is left behind is a style of football that does not match a club of United stature.

That's when Giggs is most likely to succeed here - where he has Jose's team of proven winners, has some players who can keep possesion and he previously helped under LVG and finally I think Nicky Butt will be important to us.

Whether previous club players have experience in management or not, it can't be argued that they know the strengths, weaknesses and relative expectations on the football pitch of that particular club better than anybody else.

This is why I was never too worried about Pep at any other club, he lived and breathed Barcelona, a club who always play the same formation - his spell in the youth team would merely give confidence to fans and the directors - I highly doubt it made him a significantly better manager.
Giggs will never be United manager.

Woodward isn't a hopeless romantic.

His best chance was succeeding Van Gaal. Thank goodness sanity prevailed.