Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

haram

I mean it's fine if he wants a premier league team, but they obviously don't want him. Maybe he should just take a lower job.

RedDevil@84

What's so wrong with him managing a team that are playing well in their league so he has a chance to show his management potential.

Would it not help his case if he went to the Dutch, Turkish, Ukranian league and put in some impressive management performances.
There's nothing wrong. There was nothing wrong when Peter Lim made Neville as manager of Valencia FC. It just didn't work.
The odds are stacked up against Giggs, because of his lack of experience.

Drawfull

It's a Trifle Bazaar that he's put the effort into getting his badges, but seems hell-bent on a role that's in all likelihood above his station at the moment. With a year under his belt anywhere, I think he could still come out with a decent reputation - win or lose. If he were to take an underachieving club in a lower division should the offer come about, and do even just OK with them, it would stand him in good stead, both from an experience and reputation point of view.

However, pretty much all he's ever known is Fergie, and if it was as easy as replicating his methods they'd all be doing it. Him and Scholes should do assistant manager roles at Oldham, for example, and go on from there.

Reactions: SteveJ

diarm

Giggs is in danger of establishing himself as a joke figure who will be linked with, but never given every job that ever opens up.

His refusal to explore opportunities at a lower level screams of a lack of bottle or belief in his own ability. I'd be concerned about giving him a job in the league of Ireland at this stage.

Skills

Snitch
What's so wrong with him managing a team that are playing well in their league so he has a chance to show his management potential.

Would it not help his case if he went to the Dutch, Turkish, Ukranian league and put in some impressive management performances.
He probably doesn't want to uproot his kids from school/education or be away from them - especially with regards to jobs in Turkey or Ukraine.

RedDevil@84

So what? Let him go for them jobs. If he gets a chance its up to him to prove people wrong.
I don't think anyone is stopping him from trying. People might think that he is acting all entitled or even laugh at his ambition to work only in big jobs. But then everyone laughed when Trump ran for president and he won.
So anything can happen.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There's more to being saf than simply playing with 442 and instruct your wings to cross, much much more than that.
Especially when one of SAF's best qualities was his ability to adapt and learn over the years; see, for example, the pragmatism in our performances in Europe in his later years compared with the early/mid 90s when we weren't doing as well in Europe as we should have been. SAF was very good at being able to change things up and continue winning all the same.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Hope he lands the job and do wonders. :drool:
I doubted it though.

He doesn't exude confidence, he looks clueless in our last 4 match. I know it's only a 4 match gig but he really shows nothing that indicates he's top manager material.

It's up to him to prove himself, part of being a top manager is being able to convince the chairman with his vision and plans.

He probably won't get an easy job, but I'm sure he would have no problem to at least land an interview, and it'll be on him to convince everton why they should hire him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I reckon he could do okayish at Leicester, provided he's got some managerial talent. They're not particularly brilliant as such but have a squad that's more than good enough to avoid relegation with the right coach. After wasting so much money in the summer though, Everton looks like a poisoned chalice.

Home&Away

Just was meant to happen - giggs manager at United with nicky butt assistant manager. Just a matter of time boy's - LVG legacy lives on =) please don't shoot me for my beliefs I'm a nice guy

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
The sense of entitlement from him is amazing. Its like sam allardyce saying he could manage madrid/barcelona easily. He should have to earn his way to a top job. He is wanting to manage champions of 2 years ago and a club with top 6 ambitions on what qualification? Its like making a failed gambling business man , Liar, self loving guy president of united states....

Oscie

If he'd wanted a job in management by now he'd have had one. Don't tell me that fresh afte his retirement he couldn't have walked into a bottom-half PL team, or even taken a job in the Championship. Could be more than 3 years into a managerial career now. Who knows, if he was good at it, where he could be now. Unless you were 'last throw of the dice desperate' and exhausted all other realistic option (that no club is in October) why would you possibly appoint him?

No managerial experience. No experience working anywhere outside of one club. Made no effort in his break from the game to go abroad, study coaching techniques and systems overseas and has just spent the last 18 months sitting along side Ian Wright and Lee Dixon on the world's most unenlightening football panel in all of TV. He isn't an established and successful manager on a break from the game, waiting for the right opportunity to return. He's someone who thinks his playing medals should have meant he had his pick of the jobs. If I was appointing I'd find that deeply unappealing in a candidate. Unless 'sense of entitlement' is high on any club's criteria for a new manager then he could be out of luck.

Given the size of the club and the sort of candidates they should be attracting I'd be stunned if Giggs is even on Everton's longlist, let alone shortlist.

Minkaro

Giggs is treating real life like I treat Football Manager when I do an "unemployed start" save.

AndyJ1985

Neither Everton nor Leicester will hire Giggs. If that's the kind of job he's waiting for I'm not sure he'll ever be a manager.

Irrational.

Giggs is like the kid fresh out of school with zero experience applying for £80-90k jobs, then wonders why he keeps getting rejected.

Laphroaig

So no one actually read the quotes before bashing him. "There are clubs in the Premier League which would be good jobs but also in the Championship and League One. It's more about the philosophy for me than the stature of the club."

Hope he lands the job and do wonders. :drool:
That's the obvious sentiment when a legend of ours is linked to jobs, but for some baffling reason he's being mocked.

Mcking

Starting from the bottom is not always a good idea, unless you are starting with a team that dominates their league or are top 10. Failure will tarnish your reputation and close the door to a big management in the future, just like Neville. Zidane and Guardiola started with Madrid B and Barca B respectively and moved on to their main teams. Mourinho started with Benfica, Ancelotti with reggiana, Klopp with Mainz 05 and Poch with Espanyol. Maybe he should have started with our youth team or tried the Leeds and other available champ/league 123 jobs, but I hope he gets the Job, preferably leicester. Leicester are a better organised team than Everton right now and have a settled starting XI unlike at Everton. What he needs to do is to probably get them to enjoy their football and improve their attitude like Zidane did with Madrid. The main thing against him right now is his lack of experience. I hope a former player becomes our manager one day. I'm jealous of Zidane's Madrid just like I was jealous of Guardiola's Barcelona. I hope he do well and get in the running for our managerial job one day.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Marco Silva took on a hopeless cause in taking over a club that started the season with just 13 first team players. He didn't keep them up, but did enough to massively improve Hull. That earned him further opportunities.

Giggs will not just get handed a job on a silver platter. No one expects him to go and turn a struggling Championship side into Premiership winners. But he needs to prove himself elsewhere. There is simply too much at stake for premiership chairmen.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone else getting a bit sick of this class of 92 stuff that seems to be everywhere the last few years?

Giggs was already a first teamer by then anyway.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Marco Silva took on a hopeless cause in taking over a club that started the season with just 13 first team players. He didn't keep them up, but did enough to massively improve Hull. That earned him further opportunities.

Giggs will not just get handed a job on a silver platter. No one expects him to go and turn a struggling Championship side into Premiership winners. But he needs to prove himself elsewhere. There is simply too much at stake for premiership chairmen.
Exactly. And turning around a situation like that, or even just showing promise will make far, far more clubs take notice than flatlining at Everton or Swansea ever would.

RedDevil@84

That's the obvious sentiment when a legend of ours is linked to jobs, but for some baffling reason he's being mocked.
He is being mocked for sitting on his a** all the time and then expecting to land some big shot jobs. It is an obvious reaction. If Rodgers was applying for Barcelona job, we would have laughed to no end, because we do not think he is at that level. Same with Giggs.

And most of the fans mocking him or calling him entitled do not wish him to fail. At least I will be more than happy if he gets a job at a big club and succeeds. But it is highly unlikely that he ll land the job or be capable of turning things around.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Starting from the bottom is not always a good idea, unless you are starting with a team that dominates their league or are top 10. Failure will tarnish your reputation and close the door to a big management in the future, just like Neville. Zidane and Guardiola started with Madrid B and Barca B respectively and moved on to their main teams. Mourinho started with Benfica, Ancelotti with reggiana, Klopp with Mainz 05 and Poch with Espanyol. Maybe he should have started with our youth team or tried the Leeds and other available champ/league 123 jobs, but I hope he gets the Job, preferably leicester. Leicester are a better organised team than Everton right now and have a settled starting XI unlike at Everton. What he needs to do is to probably get them to enjoy their football and improve their attitude like Zidane did with Madrid. The main thing against him right now is his lack of experience. I hope a former player becomes our manager one day. I'm jealous of Zidane's Madrid just like I was jealous of Guardiola's Barcelona. I hope he do well and get in the running for our managerial job one day.
Arguably our worst ever manager was a former player of ours.

Arguably our greatest ever manager was a former City player.

I hope no former player ever gets the job unless they are the best candidate for the job (and 'he knows the club well' is not a criteria)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Exactly. And turning around a situation like that, or even just showing promise will make far, far more clubs take notice than flatlining at Everton or Swansea ever would.
I'm not convinced that club chairmen know what they're doing. Look at the amount of times promising young managers have been passed over in favor of mediocre to failing managers considered "safe options". That Moyes is in consideration for the Everton job says it all.

It's a fools errand to state categorically that the best way for Giggs to succeed is to go down to lower levels and work his way up. There are enough counter-examples to cast shade on that theory.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Managers like Steve Mclaren and Roy Hodgson were able to perform in foreign leagues. Marco Silva won the league with Olympiacos.

If Giggs can't do that then he's never going to make it in this league.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
:lol: Some of the posts. At least read what he said before the faux outrage.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I'm not convinced that club chairmen know what they're doing. Look at the amount of times promising young managers have been passed over in favor of mediocre to failing managers considered "safe options". That Moyes is in consideration for the Everton job says it all.

It's a fools errand to state categorically that the best way for Giggs to succeed is to go down to lower levels and work his way up. There are enough counter-examples to cast shade on that theory.
Exactly. People play too much journeyman save on FM and thinks same will happen in real life.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
For all the absolute weapons in this thread who won't even read a club legend's words before piling in to have a go at him for them:

"I think you look at those two teams, Leicester being champions two seasons ago, Everton being a fantastic club with a fantastic history, for me these are clubs I would be interested in.

"However, there are a lot of coaches out there who would be interested in those positions.

"I've said all along that I'd be open to clubs which share the ambitions of myself. I want to improve clubs and improve players, to enjoy working for them and for players to enjoy the challenge.

"There are clubs in the Premier League which would be good jobs but also in the Championship and League One. It's more about the philosophy for me than the stature of the club."'

Red_toad

He probably doesn't want to uproot his kids from school/education or be away from them - especially with regards to jobs in Turkey or Ukraine.
Uproot his kids? They live with his ex, so they’ll not be going anywhere with him.
Age they are would very likely count him out of any overseas jobs.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
So what if he wants the job? It's not like he is demanding the job to be given to him. It's up to the Everton board now to decide if they want to give it to him.

Hansa

I don't think Giggs needs to transform No-hopers FC into a premiership team for him to be a future contender for us, but there are a few specifics which could probably sway public opinion in his favour. A well-defined, attacking style (but with enough tactical adaptability to change things for the better between and during games), punching slightly above the club's financial weight and a general notion that the team is quite a bit better than the sum of its parts. If so, he could easily end up here sooner than expected.

As others have mentioned, just going 442 with pacey wingers as the only weapon is (probably) not going to convince anyone.

acnumber9

Are we just ignoring him saying it's not just Premier League clubs? Why wouldn't he be interested? He specifically points out lots of coaches would be interested. Why bother applying logic when you can rinse and repeat the same tired, old rhetoric though?

Dante

Average bang
For all the absolute weapons in this thread who won't even read a club legend's words before piling in to have a go at him for them:
It's a really weird phenomenon on the internet nowadays. You see the trend repeated all over this forum, unfortunately.

Too many videogamers exoticise continental football and denigrate the British character of the club because they want it be more like the latest flavour of the month in other leagues. It's like they believe our history doesn't define who we are today. I don't understand what they get out of being United fans if they can't have an affinity with the individuals who made us what we are.