Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't know why he can't just hone his skills and get some experience/credibility with a lower league team. He's got plenty of time on his side. JF Hasselbaink got his break with QPR because of the great job he did at Burton Albion though unfortunately for him it didn't work out.

Giggs has done nothing to show/prove that he deserves a shot at a Premier League club. If Moyes has any sense too, he will be recalibrating his managerial status. He'll end up being the next Mickey Adams if he's not careful.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ryan said quite recently that he wasn't in a hurry to manage, so I don't really believe what this article says. The press link him with every available job. It's almost as if they're more desperate for him to manage than he is.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Giggs will never be United manager.

Woodward isn't a hopeless romantic.

His best chance was succeeding Van Gaal. Thank goodness sanity prevailed.
Agree with the bolded part. I think the club was putting all the pieces in place, but unfortunately LVGs lack of success meant that we couldnt afford to take a gamble and went for the safest possible option in Jose. Had LVG achieved a bit more, I fully expect Giggs would be taking over as manager this summer.

Best comparison that comes to mind for me is Zidane. The work Giggs did as coach/assistant manager at United is comparable to Zidane's CV prior to being given the Real job. The success of one doesnt guarantee the success of the other of course, but it just shows that it is perfectly possible for a great player to make that step up within the club they established themselves at. In depth knowledge of a particular club can be just as valuable (I would say far more so) than "earning your stripes" at a League 2 club.

That said, im not sure any PL club would be willing to take the risk on Giggs at this point as he is unproven. With United he at least had those connections and that knowledge of the club - take that away and he doesnt look that appealing a prospect.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Agree with the bolded part. I think the club was putting all the pieces in place, but unfortunately LVGs lack of success meant that we couldnt afford to take a gamble and went for the safest possible option in Jose. Had LVG achieved a bit more, I fully expect Giggs would be taking over as manager this summer.

Best comparison that comes to mind for me is Zidane. The work Giggs did as coach/assistant manager at United is comparable to Zidane's CV prior to being given the Real job. The success of one doesnt guarantee the success of the other of course, but it just shows that it is perfectly possible for a great player to make that step up within the club they established themselves at. In depth knowledge of a particular club can be just as valuable (I would say far more so) than "earning your stripes" at a League 2 club.

That said, im not sure any PL club would be willing to take the risk on Giggs at this point as he is unproven. With United he at least had those connections and that knowledge of the club - take that away and he doesnt look that appealing a prospect.
There's no comparison at all. Zidane managed the Real Madrid youth and B teams before moving up to the first team. You'd also have to be grossly incompetent not to win anything with that Real Madrid team. If Giggs was so determined to be United Manager he should have taken on the reserve team and maintained that United link for the future. Knowledge of a club counts for nothing....you simply can't replace real experience. Tell that to John Carver!

Giggs for all his knowledge has NO real management experience.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ryan said quite recently that he wasn't in a hurry to manage, so I don't really believe what this article says. The press link him with every available job. It's almost as if they're more desperate for him to manage than he is.
He strikes me as a guy who fancied the United manager job, rather than a manager's job per se.

Now that's off the cards, I can definitely see him doing a Shearer, and instead taking the far, far easier option of the studio and a bit of analysis and chat.
Can't blame him, it's a stressy old insecure game, and way different to what he was exceptionally gifted at doing.

You see it in workplaces all the time, someone's excellent at their job, and get promoted to managing people, and are rubbish at it.
Should there be much surprise? The two things are completely different.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He strikes me as a guy who fancied the United manager job, rather than a manager's job per se.

Now that's off the cards, I can definitely see him doing a Shearer, and instead taking the far, far easier option of the studio and a bit of analysis and chat.
Can't blame him, it's a stressy old insecure game, and way different to what he was exceptionally gifted at doing.

You see it in workplaces all the time, someone's excellent at their job, and get promoted to managing people, and are rubbish at it.
Should there be much surprise? The two things are completely different.
That's the impression I get... just doesn't seem to have a great desire for management itself. I don't blame him one bit - he's got his business interests, maybe the punditry (even if he's not great at that:D), and his great footballing legacy. Why bother with the precarious world of management with the pressure and ridicule (if you feck up). You really need to have a strong desire (or be a masochist) to go into football management.

Sigma

Why do people always compare him to Zidane and Guardiola? Both have actually managed clubs before for a long time, their B teams. Giggs has managed 4 games.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The worst thing is he clearly has people in the media putting this sort of shite about. It reminds me of that 'Kim Jong Un looking at things' phenomenon; it pops up on the Internet, you have a little chuckle at it, then you move on to something else.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Has he actually said he wants the job?

Minor detail I know - he's still horribly entitled and so forth. But just out of curiosity.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I cant speak much about La Liga but in Italy there are two clubs who produce/refine most of the managers. These clubs are Milan (Maldini, Trapattoni, Capello, Ancelotti, Donadoni etc) and Juventus (Zoff, Deschamps, Zidane, Conte etc). Young promising managers tend to love going there because they give you structure and they teach you the ropes. People like Allegri, Lippi and Sacchi have a lot to thank Juventus/Milan for and their football is copy and paste Juventus/Milan style.There are clubs who are capable of producing young managers and unfortunately we're not one of them. Throughout our history we weren't able to produce 1 top quality manager and you only have to spend 10 minutes listening to the likes of Gary Neville, Lou Macari, Ryan Giggs, Philip Neville or Robbie Savage to understand why. While other clubs build a hierarchy of roles with football directors supervising every aspect of the game and giving advice/instructs what the manager should do, United expect the manager to handle everything. The only way that a Man United manager can succeed is to be an absolute genius. No wonder why players stand at awed at him and no wonder why no frigging rookie can hope of ever doing it. Moyes had 10 years experience at Everton and even him looked out of depth at United.

The only way United can produce top managers is for us to rethink the whole system up. We need top football directors who are experts in all aspects of the game and who are able to advise and when necessary step in and stop the manager from doing mistakes. That happens all the time at Juventus. Spoiler alert it occasionally pisses off managers enough to leave. Just ask Lippi and Conte. Till then lets be content of being able to produce good foot soldiers with a lot of heart but little managerial brains. People like the Nevilles, Giggs and Savage.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Southampton would be a dream job for Giggs, absolutely no chance he gets it though. They've been linked with managers like De Boer and Tuchel, who both have impressive CVs at the top level. Why on Earth would Southampton prefer Giggs?

If he doesn't wanna step down the leagues to get experience he should at least get involved on the coaching staff somewhere, rather than expecting to be just given a job because he's Ryan Giggs.

Needham

Ironic that the thing everyone thought would embellish him with credibility and experience -spending a few years alongside Louis Van Gaal- has bequeathed the sense that he's not cut out for management.

itso 7

If there was a job in your professional field, which seemed to have very good prospects for you and an improvement on your current position, would you not show interest?

Nothing wrong with showing an interest in a job, its not like he's claiming publicly that he's the best option available to them.
Good point however the point doesn't apply here because Ryan is an aspiring manager he is not in the football management field yet. If I was an aspiring football manager I wouldn't be snobbish about my first break into my profession as far as seeing the Championship as beneath me.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I cant speak much about La Liga but in Italy there are two clubs who produce/refine most of the managers. These clubs are Milan (Maldini, Trapattoni, Capello, Ancelotti, Donadoni etc) and Juventus (Zoff, Deschamps, Zidane, Conte etc). Young promising managers tend to love going there because they give you structure and they teach you the ropes. People like Allegri, Lippi and Sacchi have a lot to thank Juventus/Milan for and their football is copy and paste Juventus/Milan style.There are clubs who are capable of producing young managers and unfortunately we're not one of them. Throughout our history we weren't able to produce 1 top quality manager and you only have to spend 10 minutes listening to the likes of Gary Neville, Lou Macari, Ryan Giggs, Philip Neville or Robbie Savage to understand why. While other clubs build a hierarchy of roles with football directors supervising every aspect of the game and giving advice/instructs what the manager should do, United expect the manager to handle everything. The only way that a Man United manager can succeed is to be an absolute genius. No wonder why players stand at awed at him and no wonder why no frigging rookie can hope of ever doing it. Moyes had 10 years experience at Everton and even him looked out of depth at United.

The only way United can produce top managers is for us to rethink the whole system up. We need top football directors who are experts in all aspects of the game and who are able to advise and when necessary step in and stop the manager from doing mistakes. That happens all the time at Juventus. Spoiler alert it occasionally pisses off managers enough to leave. Just ask Lippi and Conte. Till then lets be content of being able to produce good foot soldiers with a lot of heart but little managerial brains. People like the Nevilles, Giggs and Savage.
That's not Utd's problem on its own, that's a problem with English football. We simply don't produce the number of intelligent, tactically aware young managers that other countries do. A little bit harsh on Gary Neville but agree with the others.

spiriticon

If he really wanted to be a manager, he should have taken the Under-21 job when it came up. Both Pep and Zidane coached the B team to get experience and gain respect as a coach.

No big club is gonna take a punt on an inexperienced coach. It's just too high a risk in the modern game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's not Utd's problem on its own, that's a problem with English football. We simply don't produce the number of intelligent, tactically aware young managers that other countries do. A little bit harsh on Gary Neville but agree with the others.
That's true. However Id rather focus on United setup and why we were never able to develop an in house top manager

At Juventus the manager is just an allenatore (ie head coach). He decide the tactics and he keeps the players in line. When the transfer window opens he make suggestions on which positions (not players) he need strengthening. Once he build a certain reputation he'll get a bigger say. However, he will never be allowed to demand that an X player is signed. Those who did were shown the middle finger as Conte can easily testify to that. In Italy the roles are so different that a manager who gets more power then he's often given is often described by the media as un allenatore ala Ferguson (ie a head coach/manager like SAF)

Such situation can be claustrophobic and its very difficult for people who do not know the system to do well. Hence why clubs like Juventus tend to appoint former players or young managers They tend to either know (and accept) the system well or are very adaptable to the circumstances thrown at them. Usually seasoned managers will outgrow the system and leave. Conte, Capello, Lippi and Ancelotti are just few names of managers who decided that they want to be micromanaged anymore and had therefore left for better pastures

At United the manager is everything. He's a head coach, he's head of the youth academy, he sorts problems with the players, he decides which players the club sign and sometimes he has to use his own influence to convince a player to sign with us (ex Ibra and Mou). His boss (ie the CEO) is business oriented and often know nothing about football (Edwards, Kenyon, Gill, Woody)That's too much for a rookie to learn and handle. Its like handling a rookie pilot who just got his licence to fly small plans the leadership of a squadron of Stealth fighters and then asked to bomb Moscow.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Can't believe the audacity of the guy. Needs to prove himself in League 2 before he can dream about the PL.

Heardy

Gotta love the optimism of the guy.

I'd imagine all opposition fans would want him to get a PL gig in the hope it'd bring him down a peg or two. I'd love to see him do well but its hard to argue that he isn't full of self-entitlement.

The Bloody-Nine

He's reluctant to take a lesser job because of what could happen. And having seen him in action, I'm not surprised.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't understand why some of these 'big name' rookie managers can't cut their teeth in the lower leagues first.

Heardy

I don't understand why some of these 'big name' rookie managers can't cut their teeth in the lower leagues first.
Arguably because if they get that first gig wrong, they're done and will never get a PL opportunity.

If they fail at a prem club, there are still far more opportunities to go for afterwards.

The Bloody-Nine

Because if they f*ck it up, there goes any chance of a PL job. Being an unknown entity beats being a proven failure. And unknown entities do get PL jobs occasionally.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Fair play for putting himself there. Something he's not really done until now.

GrandJury

Because he has no confidence, probably because he won’t be good enough.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What's so wrong with him managing a team that are playing well in their league so he has a chance to show his management potential.

Would it not help his case if he went to the Dutch, Turkish, Ukranian league and put in some impressive management performances.