Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Give him League 2 till the end of his life!

I appreciate there is a debate to be had over whether Giggs should be trying to go straight into a PL job or should look to prove himself in lower league management first. There are precedents on both sides; for every Pep and Zindane there is a SAF or a Clough who didn't start at the very top.

Personally I want to see Giggs succeed in management, but my main reservation is I don't see a personality there that can galvanise a struggling/unfancied team of players. For that reason I don't think the seeming death spiral at Everton would be right for him at this stage. I think a midtable lower league side would be perfect for him to prove he can at least get a group pulling together.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have mentioned in the very same post that these managers worked as youth coaches/assistant managers just like Giggs did.

Being translator to Bobby Robson is such a great word on Jose's CV isn't it?

You should attribute which coach you are talking about when you post managed Japanese team or managed some team to 4th position, will be easier to address.
You know what, if you really can't even bother to have some read on what Wenger and Mourinho did before they got their first big job then I won't bother.

Wenger : Wenger's management skills at Strasbourg impressed many French coaches, and he moved to Ligue 2 club Cannes in 1983, where he became Jean-Marc Guillou's assistant.

Mourinho : After leaving his job as a school coach, Mourinho looked for a path into professional management in his hometown and became youth team coach at Vitória de Setúbal in the early 1990s. Later he accepted the position of assistant manager at Estrela da Amadora,[20] then was a scout at Ovarense. Then, in 1992, an opportunity arose to work as a translator for a top foreign coach: Bobby Robson had been appointed as the new manager of Lisbon club Sporting CP and needed a local coach to work as his interpreter.[18]

Mourinho began discussing tactics and coaching with Robson in his interpreting role.[18] Robson was sacked by the club in December 1993. When Porto appointed him as their head coach, Mourinho moved with him, continuing to coach and interpret for players at the new club.[20] The Porto team, consisting of players like Ljubinko Drulović, Domingos, Rui Barros, Jorge Costa and Vítor Baía, went on to dominate Portuguese football the following years. With Robson as head coach and Mourinho as his assistant, Porto reached the 1993–94 UEFA Champions League semi-finals, and won the 1993–94 Taça de Portugal, the 1994–95 and 1995–96 Portuguese championship, and the 1994, 1995 and 1996 Portuguese Super Cup, the latter with a 5–0 victory over arch-rivals Benfica, in what proved to be Robson's last game at Porto before moving to Barcelona, earning Robson the nickname "Bobby Five-O" in Portugal. Such was the impact of Robson and Mourinho on making Porto a lasting team, that the club managed to claim three more consecutive championships after they had left.
But do go on with your narative, it suits Giggs well

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You know what, if you really can't even bother to have some read on what Wenger and Mourinho did before they got their first big job then I won't bother.

But do go on with your narative, it suits Giggs well
Wenger was assistant manger before becoming manager at top league.

Don't even start with Jose, I know what he did before landing Benfica job. I posted as people here said managers should work their way up to land job in top league which isn't the case and I gave many examples.

Whatever Jose and Wenger did, Giggs also did, serving as assistant manger and coach at top club. How well he did? No one knows as no one watched him day in day out.

Edit: You are clearly struggling with the point in discussion. It's whether manager should work his way up from lower league as that's what giggs was supposed to do. Wenger and Jose had 0 managerial experience when they landed job in top league.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The Everton appointment is going to be a telling one - do they attempt to re-establish themselves as a bigger club which could mean taking a risk on Giggs, or does the board now accept that this season is somewhat of a write-off and pump for survival in the knowledge that relegation would be disastrous given the calibre of players they'd inevitably lose whilst having to fund their new stadium. In this scenario I can see Dyche being their man.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Dyche - he's been fantastic for Burnley - but everything about his success, to me, suggests it's down to him being fortunate to have found the perfect fit of a club in Burnley. Not dissimilar to Moyes joining us, just on a much smaller scale. Everton, for their failings this season, have been pretty ambitious with their new takeover, stadium and transfers - have we come to the point where they're willing to postpone this for the season?

Whatever happens, Giggs needs to find a job fast. If he isn't offered one of the Everton or West Ham positions, given the calibre of managers available to those two clubs currently, then he simply has to accept he's not going to be offered a top job in the EPL before having tried his hand elsewhere. He's no spring chicken for the managerial game either now.

roonster09

Scout
The situation is what it is. The EPL is filthy rich and therefore the EPL clubs can afford to bring in someone with more experience then some rookie. If Giggs is truly serious about this managerial role then he must either go to the Championship or move to another league.
Giggs said he is open to Championship and league 1 clubs too.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Wenger was assistant manger before becoming manager at top league.

Don't even start with Jose, I know what he did before landing Benfica job. I posted as people here said managers should work their way up to land job in top league which isn't the case and I gave many examples.

Whatever Jose and Wenger did, Giggs also did, serving as assistant manger and coach at top club. How well he did? No one knows as no one watched him day in day out.

Edit: You are clearly struggling with the point in discussion. It's whether manager should work his way up from lower league as that's what giggs was supposed to do. Wenger and Jose had 0 managerial experience when they landed job in top league.
No they're not. And their first managerial job isn't in top league

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Looking away from his private life, what do some of you have against Ryan Giggs? Is it because he wanted the Utd job?

roonster09

Scout
No they're not. And their first managerial job isn't in top league
Wenger's first managerial job was Nancy, Ligue 1 club.
Jose's was Benfica - Portuguese league club.

If you think only top 4-5 leagues are top leagues then yes, I'm talking about top leagues in their countries rather than lower leagues.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Class of 92 as managers, but I just wonder if they do, what would happen if they drew Salford in the FA Cup?

Could they be allowed to be an owner of one club, and a manager of another in the same match?!

Would they be forced to sell up if they were to be appointed as a manager?
Is there anyone out there that could help to answer my query please?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Is that a serious question? How could anyone answer that with straight face?
There are jobs coming up all the time. If he is so good he should be in work by now. I think he is being pretty picky about what he wants. He could be a brilliant manager, but he needs to show a bit of humility. He was a fantastic player, but he, a bit like Koeman comes across as a bit arrogant.

roonster09

Scout
There are jobs coming up all the time. If he is so good he should be in work by now. I think he is being pretty picky about what he wants. He could be a brilliant manager, but he needs to show a bit of humility. He was a fantastic player, but he, a bit like Koeman comes across as a bit arrogant.
We don't know whether he applied or not, it's his first job so what's wrong with taking time to make right choice? Take Neville for example, whole thing exploded and he said he won't coach anymore.

Giggs was in the game for more than 25 years and for the first time he had a break. He should take time to decide as he is ready for lower league. If he makes wrong move then his career is over before it is even started. He said stature of the club is not important for him, he wants to coach players and improve them which is a good philosophy to have. Whether he can achieve that can only be answered if he gets the job.

If he gets someone like Palermo owner then he will be gone in a month.

IMO people are too quick to say he is arrogant and all that without even knowing why he isn't in the job or whether he applied or not.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Give him League 2 till the end of his life!

I appreciate there is a debate to be had over whether Giggs should be trying to go straight into a PL job or should look to prove himself in lower league management first. There are precedents on both sides; for every Pep and Zindane there is a SAF or a Clough who didn't start at the very top.

Personally I want to see Giggs succeed in management, but my main reservation is I don't see a personality there that can galvanise a struggling/unfancied team of players. For that reason I don't think the seeming death spiral at Everton would be right for him at this stage. I think a midtable lower league side would be perfect for him to prove he can at least get a group pulling together.
I think what he wants is really irrelevant. The EPL is filthy rich and most EPL clubs can afford more experienced people then some rookie with just 4 games under his belt. Now if he’s get his chance then by all means he should get it. However, I can’t see that happening and the more time he’ll wait the more difficult it will become for him to return to football.

In my opinion, he should be careful what he wishes for. Sure a top club will translate in better players and a better salary. However it also means being in the limelight all the time. Any mistake made will be magnified by the media and rookies tend to do a lot of them, especially if they don’t know the club inside out. EPL clubs has huge/unrealistic expectations as well. Ranieri was kicked out of Leicester few months after he won them the league. Most young managers tend to get sacked in their first job (SAF, Simeone, Clough etc). However they were able to return to football management almost immediately mainly because they committed their mistakes away from the limelight. Things would have been more complicated if they proved themselves to be out of depth at top flight level. Just ask Gary Neville.

A Championship club would allow Giggs time to build up his confidence and make his share of rookie mistakes away from the limelight. Having said that, I think he’s better off managing a club outside the UK. The Dutch league would be perfect for him

A- it will give him exposure to a different style of football
B- Dutch clubs tend to play more continent football then championship clubs do.
C- It will also allow him to commit mistakes away from the ruthless EPL/Serie A/Liga media.
D- If he does well, he’ll easily fast track his way to some decent clubs just as De Boer and LVG did.

devilish

Giggs said he is open to Championship and league 1 clubs too.
If that's the case then I geniunely wonder why he's not getting a job. Is he that horrible in interviews? Or is someone harming his career?

DomesticTadpole

I think what he wants is really irrelevant. The EPL is filthy rich and most EPL clubs can afford more experienced people then some rookie with just 4 games under his belt. Now if he’s get his chance then by all means he should get it. However, I can’t see that happening and the more time he’ll wait the more difficult it will become for him to return to football.

In my opinion, he should be careful what he wishes for. Sure a top club will translate in better players and a better salary. However it also means being in the limelight all the time. Any mistake made will be magnified by the media and rookies tend to do a lot of them, especially if they don’t know the club inside out. EPL clubs has huge/unrealistic expectations as well. Ranieri was kicked out of Leicester few months after he won them the league. Most young managers tend to get sacked in their first job (SAF, Simeone, Clough etc). However they were able to return to football management almost immediately mainly because they committed their mistakes away from the limelight. Things would have been more complicated if they proved themselves to be out of depth at top flight level. Just ask Gary Neville.

A Championship club would allow Giggs time to build up his confidence and make his share of rookie mistakes away from the limelight. Having said that, I think he’s better off managing a club outside the UK. The Dutch league would be perfect for him

A- it will give him exposure to a different style of football
B- Dutch clubs tend to play more continent football then championship clubs do.
C- It will also allow him to commit mistakes away from the ruthless EPL/Serie A/Liga media.
D- If he does well, he’ll easily fast track his way to some decent clubs just as De Boer and LVG did.
As you say the EPL teams are too terrified of falling off the gravy train to risk giving Giggs the job. I do agree with @roonster09 that he should take into account who the owners are and their record of hiring and firing managers.

roonster09

Scout
If that's the case then I geniunely wonder why he's not getting a job. Is he that horrible in interviews? Or is someone harming his career?
That doesn't mean he will take over first available job.

DomesticTadpole

He will could also be in a position that he is at a club that cannot splash the cash. It will be interesting to see if he can deal with free transfers, loans or has the knowledge of lower league players as to who is a good buy or not.

roonster09

Scout
He will could also be in a position that he is at a club that cannot splash the cash. It will be interesting to see if he can deal with free transfers, loans or has the knowledge of lower league players as to who is a good buy or not.
Yeah will be interesting when (or if ever) gets the job, to see what his approach would be. I want him to get a job where he can't just throw cash so it will show whether he can achieve what he said, that is improving players by coaching them.

DomesticTadpole

Yeah will be interesting when (or if ever) gets the job, to see what his approach would be. I want him to get a job where he can't just throw cash so it will show whether he can achieve what he said, that is improving players by coaching them.
Might take some of our kids. Get them away from Ricky Sbragia.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Another one is Simeone, he didn't start at the bottom on Argentina and well his way up, he got a good job, and from there look where he is now, and how he is regarded.

Why couldn't Giggs tread a similar path?
Because for every Simeone there are hundreds of Roy Keanes, Gary Nevilles etc. Why on earth should a struggling PL club take a punt on a completely unknown quantity?

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Looking away from his private life, what do some of you have against Ryan Giggs? Is it because he wanted the Utd job?
Looks that way, seems a few became irked at the sense of entitlement put over by him/class of 92 pals.

Anyway, as others have said, the issue is theres so much money in the English PL now, relegation could be catastrophic for a club in terms of finance, and so they're less and less likely to give jobs to a rookie coach, no room for romanticism in todays PL, they look at candidates body of work and go for the most reliable option as any sound business I guess would.

Even the smaller teams have a lot of money to spend and can attract coaches worldwide as yet another factor why its harder these days.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I agree with what others are saying, Giggs should come back and take over the U-23's. They're terrible at the moment and they could do with a club legend like Giggs to manage and inspire them.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Looks that way, seems a few became irked at the sense of entitlement put over by him/class of 92 pals.

Anyway, as others have said, the issue is theres so much money in the English PL now, relegation could be catastrophic for a club in terms of finance, and so they're less and less likely to give jobs to a rookie coach, no room for romanticism in todays PL, they look at candidates body of work and go for the most reliable option as any sound business I guess would.

Even the smaller teams have a lot of money to spend and can attract coaches worldwide as yet another factor why its harder these days.
He's one of Utd's best players ever, a club legend that has won everything. The dislike some seem to have for him is lost on me.

The only way he will get the job at this club is if he's a rampant success elsewhere.

buchansleftleg

Giggs is not the greatest managerial candidate out there so why would he think clubs will beat a path to his door? For any club taking him on as a manager will be a risk. If he is holding out for the "perfect chairman" who will be supportive then he is going to have to wait a long time or start with a much lower level club.

Brighton have always had a reputation for being a well maintained club - there are plenty of other examples. He needs to roll up his sleeves and get down in the mire with all the other managerial hopefuls - he is not the leading light he believes himself to be.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He's one of Utd's best players ever, a club legend that has won everything. The dislike some seem to have for him is lost on me.
Really? I would have thought it perfectly obvious to anyone why he is so disliked.

youngrell

There are plenty of examples of PL clubs hiring rookie managers and/or unknown quantities from abroad, so I don't see why Giggs shouldn't get an opportunity somewhere soon.

I can understand the call for him to prove himself at a lower level but I don't think it would be a wise decision for him. He probably knows little to nothing about the lower leagues and the players in and around those divisions, so he'd be going in completely blind and it will be very tough for him.

He probably gets paid more to do punditry than he would managing those clubs, too, so I imagine he's comfortable waiting around for a bigger opportunity should it arise. And if it doesn't, no skin off his nose.

Once again I'm amazed at the vitriol thrown at Giggs on a United forum.

Reactions: jojojo

Sparky10Legend

Really? I would have thought it perfectly obvious to anyone why he is so disliked.
More or less ALL players are cretins, however all players havent played 1000 (nearly) games for us.

Giggs - Legend on the pitch >>>>>>>>>>off the pitch.

Brophs

The One and Only
If I was chairman of a PL club, I can't think of a single reason to hire him, other than maybe the attention that would come with it. He was a great player, but as a coach, he's been part of two failed regimes and doesn't appear to have particularly distinguished himself in that time. When you hear him talk about football, he doesn't come across like a particularly deep or even clear thinker about the game (see also Phil Neville). It's all just lazy, cliche stuff that is hardly likely to excite a dressing room of players.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong about all of that and he gets and succeeds in a good job, but I don't see it happening.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
More or less ALL players are cretins, however all players havent played 1000 (nearly) games for us.

Giggs - Legend on the pitch >>>>>>>>>>off the pitch.
More or less all players haven't plumped the depths off immoral depravity giggs did for many years either.

If you want to overlook that, fine. I do think it's a bit weird that there are people who apparently don't understand why others would take issue with that.

youngrell

More or less all players haven't plumped the depths off immoral depravity giggs did for many years either.

If you want to overlook that, fine. I do think it's a bit weird that there are people who apparently don't understand why others would take issue with that.
I think it's even more weird that people seem to take offence as if they were directly involved.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If I was chairman of a PL club, I can't think of a single reason to hire him, other than maybe the attention that would come with it. He was a great player, but as a coach, he's been part of two failed regimes and doesn't appear to have particularly distinguished himself in that time. When you hear him talk about football, he doesn't come across like a particularly deep or even clear thinker about the game (see also Phil Neville). It's all just lazy, cliche stuff that is hardly likely to excite a dressing room of players.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong about all of that and he gets and succeeds in a good job, but I don't see it happening.
This!

The boardroom won't be convinced by a Giggs goal compilation on youtube; they need to see competencies that are important for managing.

Slaven Bilic is an ordinary manager but when he was a pundit during the Euros he was clearly on a higher level of understanding and knowledge to the other regular pundits. When Giggs gives insight into the game he doesnt say anything that a fan couldnt say.

devilish

True. However he can't be too picky either. He is certainly an EPL legend but in management he's just a Ryan. The more time he pass out of the game the more difficult it will be for him to return to management.

In my opinion it can easily be one of these three

a- he's being too picky for his own good
b- he's horrible in interviews
c- someone might be damaging him

Option C is the less likely of the two. However football management is a niche market and if he pissed off Moyes, LVG and Mou enough to put a bad word about him then he's in some real trouble.

Member 90887

Do you honestly read their journey before getting their first big job?
I did, They had jobs with the Barça and Madrid B teams (it's like coaching the reserve), in third division. Zidane did just a year and a Half, he couldn't even reach the playoffs for the promotion to the second division and he himself deemed his season as a miss.

They got jobs at the two best team in the world. Was it enough for jobs of this magnitude ?

There's more to a manager than experience, that's all i'm saying, Giggs might be a shit manager, we don't know, we also that know if he'll be a good manager. Dismissing him because of a lack of experience managing a team (he has experience as an assitant) and because "He didn't do much with us for 4 games" isn't a good argument. that's all i'm saying.

People need to remember that Pep and Zidane got two of the biggest manager jobs in the world, we are talking here about Leicester and Everton, a relegation candidate and a mid-table team (at best).