Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

Member 90887

If I was chairman of a PL club, I can't think of a single reason to hire him, other than maybe the attention that would come with it. He was a great player, but as a coach, he's been part of two failed regimes and doesn't appear to have particularly distinguished himself in that time. When you hear him talk about football, he doesn't come across like a particularly deep or even clear thinker about the game (see also Phil Neville). It's all just lazy, cliche stuff that is hardly likely to excite a dressing room of players.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong about all of that and he gets and succeeds in a good job, but I don't see it happening.
This is not an argument, Have you heard Pardew talk about football on tv these last months ? have you ever heard harry redknapp ?

Gary is an excellent pundit, look at how that worked out for Valencia.

And for me, it's unfair to put the Moyes debacle on him and re his work with LVG, it could be like you said that he didn't do nothing, or it could be that LVG was a stuborn old man and that he couldn't do anything.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If I was chairman of a PL club, I can't think of a single reason to hire him, other than maybe the attention that would come with it. He was a great player, but as a coach, he's been part of two failed regimes and doesn't appear to have particularly distinguished himself in that time. When you hear him talk about football, he doesn't come across like a particularly deep or even clear thinker about the game (see also Phil Neville). It's all just lazy, cliche stuff that is hardly likely to excite a dressing room of players.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong about all of that and he gets and succeeds in a good job, but I don't see it happening.
I think that good punditry shouldn't be the yardstick to measure a manager's capabilities. Lippi was a great manager but his interviews (which almost always came with plenty of eye rolling and a shitty attitude that made the interviewers feel small and stupid) would make you want to punch him straight to the face. Same with Conte who is compensate for his lack of arrogance (As compared to Lippi) with a drama queen attitude.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
I think that good punditry should be the yardstick to measure a manager's capabilities. Lippi was a great manager but his interviews (which almost always came with plenty of eye rolling and a shitty attitude that made the interviewers feel small and stupid) would make you want to punch him straight to the face. Same with Conte who is compensate for his lack of arrogance (As compared to Lippi) with a drama queen attitude.
Yep. That's exactly what I said.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
@Mr H I think it's a bit unfair to use the example of Pep and Zidane because of the squad's they had at their disposal - not much rebuilding was required. Their clubs could take the risk, because failure was most likely not going to cost them UCL qualification, at worst. But I agree with your general point that no one knows how Giggs will fare as a manager, until given the chance/opportunity.

And if past events are true, we did actually have a succession plan of sorts, which involved handing over the reigns to Giggs (if LvG was to be believed), after LvG completed his vision and rebuild. The moment that plan didn't come to fruition and another year of not qualifying for the UCL was going to start becoming extremely costly, Jose was brought in and it's safe to say, the entire succession thinking involving Giggs was abandoned.

I'm not sure if I'm actually arguing for or against Giggs getting a EPL job :lol: but the progress for managers isn't always linnear - in any line of business. Just because one manager had to start out right from the bottom, doesn't mean all managers have to follow the same path. Fact is, how much weight do we put on the "experience" of Giggs working for over 2 decades in the presence of someone like SAF versus a manager who's done well in the Championship for a year or 2? Not to mention his shorter experiences under Moyes ("how not to be a football coach: for dummies") and LvG.

Obviously it's a massive risk appointing someone with more limited, or next to no, managerial experience, versus someone who does have experience (say Dyche or Howe). But then again, how much weight do we put down to the legend of Giggs and the respect that would command in a dressing room? It's not just any no-mark football personality.

Bottom line though seems to be that in the world of ever increasing revenues in football, the cost of failure for clubs/owners is massive. So if someone is willing to take a risk on Giggs with limited to no managerial experience, fair play to them. But if Giggs is also serious about his managerial career, and he realises that clubs are less willing to take such risks, he should maybe contemplate taking over at a smaller club/lower division in order to "earn" his shot.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I did, They had jobs with the Barça and Madrid B teams (it's like coaching the reserve), in third division. Zidane did just a year and a Half, he couldn't even reach the playoffs for the promotion to the second division and he himself deemed his season as a miss.

They got jobs at the two best team in the world. Was it enough for jobs of this magnitude ?

There's more to a manager than experience, that's all i'm saying, Giggs might be a shit manager, we don't know, we also that know if he'll be a good manager. Dismissing him because of a lack of experience managing a team (he has experience as an assitant) and because "He didn't do much with us for 4 games" isn't a good argument. that's all i'm saying.

People need to remember that Pep and Zidane got two of the biggest manager jobs in the world, we are talking here about Leicester and Everton, a relegation candidate and a mid-table team (at best).
So they did something before their first big job? Yes?

That something can't be discounted, they did alot of good things with their short work and based on that they got their job.

If you keep on discounting things people did to climb the ladder that simply means giggs is exactly what we slag him for, feeling entitled for the big job without actually doing the donkey work.

Bear in mind that when pep and zidane took the job nobody promises them anything, if they fail then there wont be the bigger team foe them to manage. They took the job with confident. Unlike the giggs fan boys brigade that are so quick to say there's nothing but failure in the lower leagues. Such entitlement for a managerial nobody.

Member 90887

So they did something before their first big job? Yes?

That something can't be discounted, they did alot of good things with their short work and based on that they got their job.

If you keep on discounting things people did to climb the ladder that simply means giggs is exactly what we slag him for, feeling entitled for the big job without actually doing the donkey work.

Bear in mind that when pep and zidane took the job nobody promises them anything, if they fail then there wont be the bigger team foe them to manage. They took the job with confident. Unlike the giggs fan boys brigade that are so quick to say there's nothing but failure in the lower leagues. Such entitlement for a managerial nobody.
That's the thing, i'm not discarding what they did, just saying that there should be nuances when talking about what they did in regard to the job they were aiming for. I was part of the people that were saying that Giggs shouldn't be our Manager. if we were talking about United or another big job, i'm fully with you on the subject. but here, we're talking about Everton and Leicester, a entry + mid level job if you want.

Fair enough he should prove himself like everyone else at a small team, but if one of the two afromentionned teams take a chance with him, it wouldn't be as scandalous as people are making it in here. that's all i'm saying.

And re your last point, the it just fanboys talk, if he fail, he should assume the consequences, as Gary neville and everyone before him did. He's not entitled to anything because of his playing career.

Member 90887

@Mr H I think it's a bit unfair to use the example of Pep and Zidane because of the squad's they had at their disposal - not much rebuilding was required. Their clubs could take the risk, because failure was most likely not going to cost them UCL qualification, at worst. But I agree with your general point that no one knows how Giggs will fare as a manager, until given the chance/opportunity.

And if past events are true, we did actually have a succession plan of sorts, which involved handing over the reigns to Giggs (if LvG was to be believed), after LvG completed his vision and rebuild. The moment that plan didn't come to fruition and another year of not qualifying for the UCL was going to start becoming extremely costly, Jose was brought in and it's safe to say, the entire succession thinking involving Giggs was abandoned.

I'm not sure if I'm actually arguing for or against Giggs getting a EPL job :lol: but the progress for managers isn't always linnear - in any line of business. Just because one manager had to start out right from the bottom, doesn't mean all managers have to follow the same path. Fact is, how much weight do we put on the "experience" of Giggs working for over 2 decades in the presence of someone like SAF versus a manager who's done well in the Championship for a year or 2? Not to mention his shorter experiences under Moyes ("how not to be a football coach: for dummies") and LvG.

Obviously it's a massive risk appointing someone with more limited, or next to no, managerial experience, versus someone who does have experience (say Dyche or Howe). But then again, how much weight do we put down to the legend of Giggs and the respect that would command in a dressing room? It's not just any no-mark football personality.

Bottom line though seems to be that in the world of ever increasing revenues in football, the cost of failure for clubs/owners is massive. So if someone is willing to take a risk on Giggs with limited to no managerial experience, fair play to them. But if Giggs is also serious about his managerial career, and he realises that clubs are less willing to take such risks, he should maybe contemplate taking over at a smaller club/lower division in order to "earn" his shot.
You've summerized what i'm trying to say perfectly and in a more comprehensible way.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That's the thing, i'm not discarding what they did, just saying that there should be nuances when talking about what they did in regard to the job they were aiming for. I was part of the people that were saying that Giggs shouldn't be our Manager. if we were talking about United or another big job, i'm fully with you on the subject. but here, we're talking about Everton and Leicester, a entry + mid level job if you want.

Fair enough he should prove himself like everyone else at a small team, but if one of the two afromentionned teams take a chance with him, it wouldn't be as scandalous as people are making it in here. that's all i'm saying.

And re your last point, the it just fanboys talk, if he fail, he should assume the consequences, as Gary neville and everyone before him did. He's not entitled to anything because of his playing career.
Im fine by it, but let's not rewrite history that pep/zidane/jose/wenger got their job just like that.

Good manager transform the team, not the other way around. If god forbid saf/jose/wenger all managed burnley they wont win the league, but tangible progress would have shown, that's what giggs supposed to aim, showcasing his vision and most of all showcasing that his vision works.

Let's see where he ended up shall we. For my money i dont think he'll be successful. Gary neville was dubbed as managerial material but he crumbled on the first team he managed, hands up many of us think ole, keane would make a great manager, but alas... I dont have anythint against giggs managing, but the odds are against him

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I don't like the guy but he has the playing cv to consider a career as a manager. I believe most of us underrate the chaotic period he worked as a coach here, that in itself is a good learning curve.. In reality, being an assistant manager at Utd, Barca, Real and Bayern is at par with managing a championship club. Unless us United fans don't think our club is all that.
Can't say he'll be a great manager but none of us know his capability as a manager to even have an opinion here. I didn't want him as our manager because I thought he is too much a part of the club, firing him would be an ache than any other manager and push back from the media in supporting an underperforming guy.
Now to his interest in Everton show he fancies himself, which is a good thing. If he doesn't who will? Just don't think it's the right job right now. They as a club want to sprint before they can crawl. On paper it should be the right fit because they need a young guy who'll grow with and imprint on the club.. How many younger aspiring managers out there know what it's like to be a Utd? He might not truly understand the route but knows what's exactly at the top and how to stay there.

AlwaysRed66

To those saying Giggs should be given an opportunity at Everton & Leicester, I just ask this. If Mourinho left tomorrow, how many people would want Giggs or Phil Neville being our next manager.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Outside of Zola at West Ham how many ex-players have got their first management job at a Premier League club who they never played for without an extensive coaching career behind them?

O'Leary played for Leeds
Hughes played for Blackburn
Sherwood played for Spurs
Gullit and Vialli were player/managers for Chelsea
Strachan played for Coventry
Ray Wilkins had two playing spells at QPR, one as player/manager
Chris Coleman played for Fulham
Stuart Pearce had played for City
Shearer for Newcastle etc.

Every other ex-player turned manager I can think of either managed abroad or lower down first, or at least had been a coach for years (Steve Kean, Mike Phelan etc.) before landing a Premier League job with no managerial experience.

I imagine it doesn't happen elsewhere too often in the top flight either. Looking back at the past 2 or 3 pages I'm seeing Pep, Zidane, Simeone, Pochettino and Pellegrino mentioned. They all played for the teams that gave them their first managerial job as well. Based on that Giggs' best chance in this league might have actually been the United job. It certainly looks like the stats are against him going elsewhere.

Now just because something rarely or never happens it doesn't mean that it should always be that way. Still, there are reasons why players who become managers of top-flight clubs with no experience tend to have played for the club too, and reasons why it doesn't happen very often at all when that link is absent.

Reactions: Akshay

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Outside of Zola at West Ham how many ex-players have got their first management job at a Premier League club who they never played for without an extensive coaching career behind them?

O'Leary played for Leeds

Every other ex-player turned manager I can think of either managed abroad or lower down first, or at least had been a coach for years (Steve Kean, Mike Phelan etc.) before landing a Premier League job with no managerial experience.

I imagine it doesn't happen elsewhere too often in the top flight either. Looking back at the past 2 or 3 pages I'm seeing Pep, Zidane, Simeone, Pochettino and Pellegrino mentioned. They all played for the teams that gave them their first managerial job as well. Based on that Giggs' best chance in this league might have actually been the United job. It certainly looks like the stats are against him going elsewhere.

Now just because something rarely or never happens it doesn't mean that it should always be that way. Still, there are reasons why players who become managers of top-flight clubs with no experience tend to have played for the club too, and reasons why it doesn't happen very often at all when that link is absent.
What are those reasons?

kentafuji

Some of those listed above were already in the system at the clubs they went onto manage

Strachan was Assistant Manager, and both Coleman and Pearce were on the coaching staff before being given the managers job. O'Leary was Assistant also before becoming manager at Leeds

So its an easier route into the managers seat. Giggsy should try another assistant job somewhere

Thunderhead

Supports
City
/\
||
||
||

edit - what he said

People need to remember that Pep and Zidane got two of the biggest manager jobs in the world, we are talking here about Leicester and Everton, a relegation candidate and a mid-table team (at best).
yeah, but they were already in the clubs system when they got these jobs, the clubs knew what to expect and they also knew the squads they were going to be working with, I think it's a massive difference in promoting a coach from reserves to first team to plucking in an unknown quantity who hasn't even gone off to coach/manage anywhere else into a top level first team, you'd have to be a mental MD of a football club to go this route IMO

Chipper

Adulterer.
What are those reasons?
Not being in charge of appointing managers at football clubs I can't say for sure but I can take a good stab at it.

The chairman, director of football or other key members of the non-playing staff will know them to an extent. Based on what they've seen of their personality and character they'll be able to make an assessment on whether or not they feel they'd make a good manager. This judgement may be clouded somewhat by familiarity, playing favourites, the "old-boys network" or nepotism and it won't always work out but it's got to be part of it.

The would-be manager also has familiarity with the club itself, it's players, coaches, infrastructure, how things are generally done and what would be expected of them. Those factors are likely to offset the lack of experience elsewhere in the eyes of whoever is in charge of recruiting a new manager.

There's also the fabled fan factor and they may feel that the supporters would get behind an ex-player.

If you take those things away and still have an ex-player who wants a job with no experience it seems a lot harder for them to land it. Whether that's right or wrong is probably another debate but that's how it appears to be from the outside looking in.

As a couple of other posters have mentioned, a lot of those guys were already in situ at the club in a coaching or assistant role too.

Last edited:

adexkola

Supports
Not being in charge of appointing managers at football clubs I can't say for sure but I can take a good stab at it.

The chairman, director of football or other key members of the non-playing staff will know them to an extent. Based on what they've seen of their personality and character they'll be able to make an assessment on whether or not they feel they'd make a good manager. This judgement may be clouded somewhat by familiarity, playing favourites, the "old-boys network" or nepotism and it won't always work out but it's got to be part of it.

The would-be manager also has familiarity with the club itself, it's players, coaches, infrastructure, how things are generally done and what would be expected of them. Those factors are likely to offset the lack of experience elsewhere in the eyes of whoever is in charge of recruiting a new manager.

There's also the fabled fan factor and they may feel that the supporters would get behind an ex-player.

If you take those things away and still have an ex-player who wants a job with no experience it seems a lot harder for them to land it. Whether that's right or wrong is probably another debate but that's how it appears to be from the outside looking in.

As a couple of other posters have mentioned, a lot of those guys were already in situ at the club in a coaching or assistant role too.
Good post.

I think the bolded section throws water on the notion that Giggs needs to go abroad or down the pyramid to make it. With the subjective and non-meritorious level of managerial appointments, it's plausible that he'll be able to get to a position he deems worthy, if he's willing to bide his time. It's his prerogative to not want to slog down in League 1.

Last edited:

MoskvaRed

O'Leary played for Leeds

Most of those examples are a long time ago. In fact, thinking about other former United players who were also assumed to have learnt from the great man, Robson, Keane and Bruce all started in the second tier. So, in an era where Sunderland got 100m PL TV money last year despite being useless and most clubs below the top few are still performing a high wire act balancing revenue with wages, the chances of Giggsy getting a gig seem remote anywhere above the Championship.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

All that means nothing without the actual ability to coach and manage, the eye for talent, the tactical brain.

All that applies to many of our ex players (keane, ole, Phil, gary, etc). Would you trust this club at keane hand? He ticks all those boxes you mentioned.

Chipper

Adulterer.
All that means nothing without the actual ability to coach and manage, the eye for talent, the tactical brain.

All that applies to many of our ex players (keane, ole, Phil, gary, etc). Would you trust this club at keane hand? He ticks all those boxes you mentioned.
Agree totally, and no to Keane.

I was attempting to rationalise the thought process behind Premier League clubs/top flight clubs in general sometimes hiring their ex-players as managers when they have no experience. It was particularly focusing on how often it happens compared to hiring an ex-player, again with no experience but who also never played for the club in question.

Chairmen, chief execs etc. might look at those factors and sometimes think it worth a gamble, hoping that they could make up for the lack of experience. No managerial experience + never having played for that club and it's extremely rare for an ex-player to get that managerial vacancy in the top flight in a big league. I wasn't trying to advocate for anything, just explain what might be going through the heads of those doing the hiring and why one happens more than the other.

Keane would be an example of someone who had to drop down a division of course. Ole had to go to a lower standard of football and he had played for Molde in the past anyway. Gary going to a club like Valencia with no experience was one of the rare ones but then his mate got him that job.

As far as Phil goes, all I'm really saying is that I think it more likely he'd get the Everton job or in theory United, which is never going to happen, than one at any other Premier League club while he still has so little experience. If he didn't end up at Everton he'd likely have to drop down a division or two rather than randomly pop up at another Premier League team like West Brom or Stoke because those kinds of managerial appointments (no experience & no connection to the club) just don't often happen.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sean dyche is the favorite for Everton.

And people are criticizing Giggs in here!

What did Dyche show to be the favorite for the Everton job?
Nothing against Giggs but is this a serious question?

Hambley

He is a weird one. He refused clubs like Swansea whilst he doesn't have any experience as a manager. Apparently, he is expecting to be appointed for a top club at once. His waiting takes forever if he keeps doing nothing.

Adisa

Didn't he once have an interview with the Swansea board and they briefed they weren't impressed.
He might not be eloquent but I don't really get any insight from him when he speaks either.

Adisa

He is a weird one. He refused clubs like Swansea whilst he doesn't have any experience as a manager. Apparently, he is expecting to be appointed for a top club at once. His waiting takes forever if he keeps doing nothing.
Think it was Swansea that said no.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
The Rangers job might be a good one, as he could potentially get a fairly decent winning percentage going there if he could turn that club around.

Thisistheone

Rangers is a decent shout. Could build something and if he's got it, beating Rodgers and Celtic would set him up for a shot at a PL club.

It would be difficult to watch if he's shit though. I'd be gutted watching him fail.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
We've tried the retired player with no experience route before with McCoist with little success and it's hard to identify what Giggs would bring to the table to get a different result. If it didn't work out for Giggs, it would likely be curtains for his managerial career. You can see the similarities with someone like John Barnes at Celtic for example. They were both hugely talented wingers, where success came easier to them than the majority of players, with a sense of post-career self-entitlement shown by their lack of commitment to get stuck into the coaching or managerial game. It's always hard to say though whether Giggs has the strength of character, the visible hunger, the leadership and communication skills, and the ability to analyse and make consistently good decisions.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I think he would be mad to go to Rangers. A big club with big expectations that is rotten to its core. No chance of catching Celtic, thousands of rabid fans with unrealistic aspirations, loads of media attention. As much as I love Scottish football the standard is poor, not a stepping stone to a PL game because of its quality (Rangers lost to a side from Luxembourg FFS), Warburton agitated to leave and join a mid-table Championship side.

In my opinion Giggs needs to be looking at a Championship side or a League one side that has Championship aspirations, say Bradford or Portsmouth for example.

The Bloody-Nine

Swansea rejected him, despite what Giggs later said. Rejected for Bob Bradley. Ouch.

PeteManic

Surely he is a cert for the Wales job? At least, that is the one he should be going for.

Kag

Giggs' biggest problem is that every time he opens his gob he comes across a little simple. Phil Neville has the same problem. This doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good manager, mind you.

Punditry is an opportunity to demonstrate your ideas and understanding. Good punditry was the reason Roy Hodgon drafted Gary Neville into the England fold. Giggs doesn't work at Sky and doesn't have the time or resources to impress like Neville did, however, there's nothing I've ever heard him say that strikes me as particularly detailed, analytical or articulate. If that's what I'm left thinking, then what are they going to be thinking in the boardroom?

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Giggs' biggest problem is that every time he opens his gob he comes across a little simple. Phil Neville has the same problem. This doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good manager, mind you.

Punditry is an opportunity to demonstrate your ideas and understanding. Good punditry was the reason Roy Hodgon drafted Gary Neville into the England fold. Giggs doesn't work at Sky and doesn't have the time or resources to impress like Neville did, however, there's nothing I've ever heard him say that strikes me as particularly detailed, analytical or articulate. If that's what I'm left thinking, then what are they going to be thinking in the boardroom?
He's an unintelligent philanderer who's too arrogant to think he needs to demonstrate managerial/coaching ability?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's hardly any evidence to go on beyond the post-Moyes handful of games. Based on that he's mediocre but the sample size is obviously too small.

His media personality means little. You don't judge someone's potential as a manager on how he appears on TV, nor on his ability to analyze match situations in a pundit capacity (as the Nev case proves).

Dobbs

Another one is Simeone, he didn't start at the bottom on Argentina and well his way up, he got a good job, and from there look where he is now, and how he is regarded.

Why couldn't Giggs tread a similar path?
When you're hiring someone you don't ask that question. You don't ask "why not." You ask why they'd tread a similar path to Simeone or Zidane. What evidence is there of this guy repeating what others have done. You don't bank on a gamble that came off for somebody else doing the same for you.

Dobbs

But why if you were running an organisation would you give the job to somebody with no experience? No record of achievement. Rather than an individual whose proven they can actually do the job in question. Makes no sense.

adexkola

Supports
But why if you were running an organisation would you give the job to somebody with no experience? No record of achievement. Rather than an individual whose proven they can actually do the job in question. Makes no sense.
If you were running Barcelona in spring of 2008 would you have hired Guardiola when the likes of Mourinho were available?

If you were running Manchester United in 2013 would you have hired Moyes when dozens of other managers were available?

If you were running Valencia in 2015 would you have hired Neville?

And so on...

Stop pretending as if there are any set rules to who gets hired in football management. Giggs is more placed than the average caftard to analyze his chances of getting into the roles he wants without slogging down in league 2 to prove his worth to the Caf.