Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

spwd

Great article on the dribble from the Monday Night Club about Giggs. In posting this, the intention is not to have a pop at Giggs. It's not his fault people in the media spout such rubbish.

Fecking hell are they on drugs or what, what absolute loons.

Chapters is great by the way, nicely done in that exchange :lol:

Lurpak99

Buttered up
There's an inferiority complex regarding English football. The once proud nation is being overtaken by foreigners simply because they're not good enough themselves anymore, and it's clearly hard to take for some which is understandable, because it's not always been like that. England was a top nation once using British players and managers only to win European Cups and other European trophies, there was no need for foreign players and managers in the 60's, 70's and 80's to win, but now there is, and not just in a small scale, but in a massive scale.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I never realised how small Giggsy's hand is. Tiny.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There's an inferiority complex regarding English football. The once proud nation is being overtaken by foreigners simply because they're not good enough themselves anymore, and it's clearly hard to take for some which is understandable, because it's not always been like that. England was a top nation once using British players and managers only to win European Cups and other European trophies, there was no need for foreign players and managers in the 60's, 70's and 80's to win, but now there is, and not just in a small scale, but in a massive scale.
There's a need for foreign pundits too. Too many British pundits are friends and far too bias to be impartial.

Dobbs

One has to wonder how former players know so little about something they are so experienced in.
Because a lot of them are a bit simple? Remember these are grown men who've never had a real job.

Football is also a weird industry. It's assumed that if you played the game you know something about management. It's like saying the guy who makes a great pie could run Greggs.

I don't blame Giggs for taking his time though. That first job is crucial to your rep. So trying to find a patient club with a good board is worth waiting for.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Because a lot of them are a bit simple? Remember these are grown men who've never had a real job.

Football is also a weird industry. It's assumed that if you played the game you know something about management. It's like saying the guy who makes a great pie could run Greggs.

I don't blame Giggs for taking his time though. That first job is crucial to your rep. So trying to find a patient club with a good board is worth waiting for.
But hard to find these days, even down in the divisions.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's a good manager that makes it a good job.

Off course there are exceptions and limit to what a great manager can achieve., but a good manager will shine wherever they go! It's not the other way around.

Put saf at burnley he'll shine, put moyes at united he'll fail. Nobody's expecting giggs to win the league with swansea, but at least he can show something worthy for his next bigger job, isn't that natural progression.

I always feel that the current set of great managers learnt their tricks lower down the table that when they're at the top they pretty much has developed everything they need.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
not having any credentials managerial wise is a huge no go but I think Giggs personal life is stopping him getting a job too. Can't imagine there's many people wanting to hire someone that's got his track record away from football, ask yourself this if you owned a business knowing what we know would you hire him because I certainly wouldn't.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
not having any credentials managerial wise is a huge no go but I think Giggs personal life is stopping him getting a job too. Can't imagine there's many people wanting to hire someone that's got his track record away from football, ask yourself this if you owned a business knowing what we know would you hire him because I certainly wouldn't.
You make a fine point. I'd say clubs probably don't care as much he shagged his inlaw, but his name is too big that any feckups would be a bad press.

Gary neville at valencia is an example, with any other manager they can just sack him and no one would bat an eyelid, with giggs? It's like trying to sack rooney, there will be repercussions about him not given time bla bla bla

Dobbs

Or hit the ground running, which isn't impossible, even for a rookie.
It's not impossible but presumably he'll be taking over a team that's struggling without too much money to spend. It's a big ask. Even the greats like Mourinho and Kopp struggle to get the team going straight away.

Having said that should he start brilliantly it's still no guarantee you won't be sacked 12 months later. Keane had a great start to his managerial career, it couldn't have gone better. He was still out the door not long after.

Dobbs

It's a good manager that makes it a good job.

Off course there are exceptions and limit to what a great manager can achieve., but a good manager will shine wherever they go! It's not the other way around.

Put saf at burnley he'll shine, put moyes at united he'll fail. Nobody's expecting giggs to win the league with swansea, but at least he can show something worthy for his next bigger job, isn't that natural progression.

I always feel that the current set of great managers learnt their tricks lower down the table that when they're at the top they pretty much has developed everything they need.
I think all that's true if they get the time. Which is a big if. Most managers are gone before they get chance to make it a good job.

liamp

That first job is crucial to your rep. So trying to find a patient club with a good board is worth waiting for.
What you're describing (assuming we're talking PL-level) is what most coaches dream of these days. If such an opportunity arose, that club would really be slumming it if they went with Giggs over any multitude of coaches who'd jump at such a job.

If Giggs is looking for the perfect situation, he's going to be looking for a long time.

Dobbs

What you're describing (assuming we're talking PL-level) is what most coaches dream of these days. If such an opportunity arose, that club would really be slumming it if they went with Giggs over any multitude of coaches who'd jump at such a job.

If Giggs is looking for the perfect situation, he's going to be looking for a long time.
I was thinking Championship as well but yeah your point is true.

It begs the question what's the point in trying? You're almost guaranteed to be sacked or to fail. Unless he's got a burning desire to do this he'd be best giving it a miss.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Neolithic attitudes towards coaching did that

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think it'll hold him back too much, in that he's still a very well respected name in football and won't struggle to get an initial job, and certainly won't struggle if he begins to succeed, but I do think it's kind of altered the general perception of him a bit. Throughout his career Giggs was perceived as this down to earth, loyal, hard-working family man, the type of talented player who didn't catch headlines.

The fact he turned out to be a bit of a prick doesn't undermine his legendary status as such but it probably does undermine a bit the sort of likable perception he had going for years. If he begins to succeed as a manager it won't harm him, though. There's probably far worse people in management out there and people who have done more deplorable things we don't know about.

AlwaysRed66

If he was looking for a South Wales job Newport County would have been ideal to get his teeth into management. Funny, he didn't seem to be interested in that one.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
If he was looking for a South Wales job Newport County would have been ideal to get his teeth into management. Funny, he didn't seem to be interested in that one.
This, he's expecting a seat at the high table, but doesn't have the credentials.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Could you see Ryan Giggs managing all the way down there? Some players are just too big for such a crappy place. One thing is that he shouldn't start at the top, but no former star player start with such a job, at worst they have some youth coach job at their former club, like a lot of former Dutch players turned managers.

steffyr2

He's just projecting how he'd like life to be for himself. No work, just constant open doors for who he is (was).

All these guys want to continue the adulation of their playing days whether or not they're any good at anything beyond that (playing).

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I like how ITV's first question was to give him the chance to tell everyone that he turned the Swansea job down rather than the other way round.
A very obviously scripted question and answer.
That's why I can't stand punditry in England. They treat the viewers as if we are all thick as shit

spwd

I like how ITV's first question was to give him the chance to tell everyone that he turned the Swansea job down rather than the other way round.
A very obviously scripted question and answer.
That's why I can't stand punditry in England. They treat the viewers as if we are all thick as shit
"Swansea did not match my ambitions" :rolleyes:
Yup luckily he was ok with the autocue :rolleyes:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think you'll probably find that in football, that makes almost zero difference.
It's a sport that allows women beaters, rapists, boozed up killers and the like back in. People having affairs, when most people these days seem to have zero moral compass anyway isn't anywhere near the list of don'ts.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
i'm just hoping Giggs is biting back at Swansea saying his interview was 'underwhelming' as opposed to actually feeling that way. The club saying that about him was unnecessary and it wouldn't a very unnatural thing to want to respond strongly and defensively on Giggs' part. But I fear he might have serious delusions of grandeur if he expects a top/quality job to drop on his lap.

Dobbs

That's disrespectful to swansea.

If you dont think the job is good enough then dont apply. The fact that he has an interview (and lost the job) means that he's interested in the first place.
How would he know what the owners see for the future of the club if he doesn't meet with them?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Probably best to start off in the championship with a Villa or someone.

AlwaysRed66

Could you see Ryan Giggs managing all the way down there? Some players are just too big for such a crappy place. One thing is that he shouldn't start at the top, but no former star player start with such a job, at worst they have some youth coach job at their former club, like a lot of former Dutch players turned managers.
Many well known players from abroad start in the lower leagues, & English ones do as well. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, who had a top class career, took over Burton in league two & before that a Belgian 2nd division club, & Burton are perceived historically as a smaller club than Newport. He got promotion & moved on to QPR. Obviously Ryan Giggs is beneath all that, & too big for such a crappy place according to you. The question any fan should be asked is. Would you want Giggs to be appointed manager of your side, & I think we probably know the answer to that.

PieCrust

Poor form out of Giggs, nothing but sour grapes at losing the post.

With his personal life at any moment threatening to take over the headlines, not sure he'll ever be a real candidate at the top level. Coupled with his lack of credentials as a manager.