Ryan Giggs - Next Manager according to Van Gaal

Varun

Staff
Last edited:

Bwuk

Hope he's wrong. Would be a massive gamble.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
And in comes scholesy and Nicky butt. This would be a terrible idea. Hope he doesn't get a say in it. Look what happened last time.

SirAF

Ageist
And in comes scholesy and Nicky butt. This would be a terrible idea. Hope he doesn't get a say in it. Look what happened last time.
Last time was always just going to be a few weeks though. He did the right thing to bring in someone he knew for such a short stint.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Last time was always just going to be a few weeks though. He did the right thing to bring in someone he knew for such a short stint.
Van gaal is becoming deluded. Infact he probably always has been. The shit he's coming out with is getting worse.

ZupZup

Before this thread turns into a mass hysteria of overreaction I would just like to point out...

1. Pretty sure LVG is not head of recruitment for United's next manager
2. He may well say such a thing to give Giggs confidence
3. I am certain he is giving an opinion which is in no way a fact

Lastly, to be fair... if LVG gets sacked rather than retiring which is a reasonable possibility. Giggs will almost certainly be the next manager of Manchester United... at least in a caretaker capacity.

United again!

I think there are still some unhealed scars from the Moyes era.

I am sort of at a stage where I don't care, he wouldn't be the worst appointment and he might not be the best. So be whoever they pick. All I will say is that why on earth would he be the assistant manager and be trusted to be so by the club if there wasn't intentions of him stepping into the actual role of manager. He is positioned a sacking or a walk-out away from being the actual manager.

For what it is worth I think the fans would put up, shut up and adore him. On the other hand I absolutely understand the apprehension and agree with it and where it is coming from.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hope he's smart enough to pull the best out of both Van Gaal and Ferguson's methods and tactics.

I think, however, a lot of fans will be pleased when he inevitably lines us up in a 4-4-2 with our quickest players out wide and a poacher up front.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Would love it to be true

Even if it happened for next season I would be OK with that

But an extra year under LVG wont do him any harm. Honestly cannot wait to see what he can do

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
It's not a horrible idea really. Legend as a player, knows the club like the back of his hand and will have experienced three years as an assistant by that time.
Still, if someone like Guardiola/Ancelotti/Klopp is available at that point it would be a bad idea too ignore them for Giggs sake.
Exciting situation anyway, would be interesting to know if the board really approves of this plan.

Flying_Heckfish

He's my favourite player ever, boyhood hero and all that. But this is still just a romantic notion; he needs to prove himself just like anyone else.

We don't know what aptitude he has displayed behind the scenes, he could be very involved for all we know. But even then it's not the same thing as actually being the one ultimately accountable.

Varun

Staff
Must say, Giggsy has had the best possible people to learn from. Van Gaal and Sir Alex. Let's hope he's been learning like a sponge because these 2 combined cover pretty much everything one can hope to learn. Very different in styles too so he's had plenty if exposure.

IF it doesn't work, it will be much much worse than the Moyes era. He'll be very tough to sack and the mess it would create would be incredible.

deadonhi

Willy
People like Giggs and Scholes are great to have in and around the club be it in a coaching capacity or ambassadorial. But right here, right now I would not want Giggs as our next manager. His experience as a first team coach thus far has been looking after a team and club in transition with players coming and going in somewhat of a revolving door style. He needs a good few years managing/coaching a stable team and only then can his credentials be assessed.

Reactions: Niall
All I will say is that why on earth would he be the assistant manager and be trusted to be so by the club if there wasn't intentions of him stepping into the actual role of manager
Good point. If we can't see him ever contributing more to the club than he is now, what is the point of keeping him in the first place? I'm confident the board will consider it when the time comes, but it's not inevitable in any way.

LR7

It's been fairly obvious for a while and I'm happy about it.

It'd help massively if there were some quotes in the OP.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
I mean, there's no doubting there'd be things that were great about Giggs stepping in, still very young, into the management role at United without even having managed elsewhere, and the players would no doubt respect him unreservedly, but...

No, let's not role the dice. Let's have solid, experienced managers because we're still not out of the mess that started last time we took a punt.

Reactions: Niall

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Would love it to be true

But an extra year under LVG wont do him any harm. Honestly cannot wait to see what he can do
Same, but in no way surprised by some of our 'supporters'.

I wonder what the reaction on Madrid forums would be if Benitez had said it about Zidane.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Deserves it's own thread.

Van Gaal has pretty much confirmed Giggsy as the next manager.

Incredibly huge news dropped casually by Van Gaal.
I wouldn't say it was 'news', which is why it is not being treated as such anywhere. It's no more news than if Giggs had been caught saying Chris Eagles will be his successor 10 years ago.

Sparky Rhiwabon

There are no guarantees that Giggs wouldn't be another player who proves that great players do not necessarily make great managers (and vice versa) - he could be another Robson or Keane.

Let him prove that he's a great manager at a smaller club or clubs and then, if he's a success, he can come home as manager

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I sometimes think that LvG loves as well as rates Giggs highly but Giggs has some doubts about LvG :D

Glanville95

I really hope not. Appointing a man who has managed four matches in a caretaker capacity and making him manager of one of the biggest football clubs in the world. What could possibly go wrong?

NoLogo

I don't think this would be a good idea. We are building a possession orientated team bringing in Klopp would mean we need totally different players that favor an aggressive gung ho attacking game that is all about fast transitions and pressing and not keeping the ball. We need to continue with one philosophy or we will have to rebuild the team with every new manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Must say, Giggsy has had the best possible people to learn from. Van Gaal and Sir Alex. Let's hope he's been learning like a sponge because these 2 combined cover pretty much everything one can hope to learn. Very different in styles too so he's had plenty if exposure.

IF it doesn't work, it will be much much worse than the Moyes era. He'll be very tough to sack and the mess it would create would be incredible.
Exactly. It's a huge risk.

.....will take over at Liverpool when Bredan is sacked around March/April.
So City would have pelligrini, Liverpool klopp, arsenal Wenger, Chelsea mourinho and United Giggs.

Also I don't see how having doubts over an unproven and untested manager with zero experience puts a question mark on one's support.

kps88

Would love it to be true

Same. Would be an incredible feeling winning things with him in charge. Of course, an equally terrible feeling if it all goes to shit and the fans turn on him. But what's life without risks? I'd do it as a fan, but I can understand if the Glazers/Woody are a bit more apprehensive.

Varun

Staff
Before this thread turns into a mass hysteria of overreaction I would just like to point out...

1. Pretty sure LVG is not head of recruitment for United's next manager
2. He may well say such a thing to give Giggs confidence
3. I am certain he is giving an opinion which is in no way a fact

Lastly, to be fair... if LVG gets sacked rather than retiring which is a reasonable possibility. Giggs will almost certainly be the next manager of Manchester United... at least in a caretaker capacity.
It doesn't come across as his opinion and he wouldn't have said this unless it's a verbal agreement to be honoured unless something drastically changes.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Just to think I remember like lots here, Giggs making his debut as a skinny 16 year old.

To then become the manager 25 or so years later is incredible (if it happens)

ZupZup

It doesn't come across as his opinion and he wouldn't have said this unless it's a verbal agreement to be honoured unless something drastically changes.
Nothing ever comes across as his opinion. He's been managing for a while now so you must have noticed that by now. He only talks in facts. Like how we dominated Swansea in our last league game. It's not an opinion. When LVG speaks, it's just facts.