Ryan Giggs | United confirm he's left

Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

I don't think there's any evidence of this. He was a great player but has done feck all since to demonstrate he should be kept on the coaching staff. If we are really serious about challenging again Maureen needs to be given free hand to appoint his staff. The fact he also says feck all to the media as to his aspirations fecks me off, great player but just leave.
Its Mourinho who decided he didn't want Giggs as assistant, how is that Woodward's fault?
Giggs is now the third member of senior management who appears to feel wronged by his treatment by the club. Moyes and LVG seemed amazed to be sacked and Giggs appears to feel let down that he didn't get the job.

From an outsider looking in all 3 appear crazy to feel aggrieved. Moyes and LVG performed terribly and Giggs should be nowhere near the manager's job. The only reason to feel let down is if they have been given a different expectation by the club.

My impression of Woodward (and this is based on absolutely nothing other than the above and LVG's arrogance when his sacking seemed inevitable) is that he tells everyone what they want to hear. If Giggs had no expectation of getting the manager job he would be an excellent member of the backroom staff.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It should always be the absolute best person attainable and anybody who thinks Giggs would be the pick over Mourinho is away with the fairies.

Let's see what he does in his next couple of jobs and then maybe in five years time when hes nearing 50 he could come under consideration again. One of those jobs in that time though will have to be at a PL club, there's no chance of United recruiting a manager outside of any top division.
For a moment I was genuinely scared that the old guard would get their way and he would become manager. Common sense said that Moyes was a terrible appointment then,it was screaming that this would be an even worse one. All the rival fans wanted us to hire Giggs as manager.

Ryan Giggs leaving United after 29 years is sad,Ryan Giggs being sacked as United manager after 30 plus years at the club would have been even worse. Let him go and earn this job. It shouldn't matter how many games he played for United when it comes to selecting our new boss.

Ban

Giggs is now the third member of senior management who appears to feel wronged by his treatment by the club. Moyes and LVG seemed amazed to be sacked and Giggs appears to feel let down that he didn't get the job.

From an outsider looking in all 3 appear crazy to feel aggrieved. Moyes and LVG performed terribly and Giggs should be nowhere near the manager's job. The only reason to feel let down is if they have been given a different expectation by the club.

My impression of Woodward (and this is based on absolutely nothing other than the above and LVG's arrogance when his sacking seemed inevitable) is that he tells everyone what they want to hear. If Giggs had no expectation of getting the manager job he would be an excellent member of the backroom staff.
Even if Woodward promised Giggs he would get the job, which we don't know if it happened, Giggs must have realized it isn't working. Moyes and LVG reigns were failures and it's logical he needs to go. Anyway Mourinho wants to have his own staff. I don't think he thought he'd get the job no matter the consequences..
Moyes and LVG may be aggrieved or something but letting them go was a good and any logical decision by Woodward and I don't see his fault in any of this.
Maybe promising Giggs the managerial spot if it happened.

RedElf

Two roads leading to Gigg's succession to the throne ended in cul-de-sacs. Had no other choice but to choose another road and see where that leads him.

POF

Even if Woodward promised Giggs he would get the job, which we don't know if it happened, Giggs must have realized it isn't working. Moyes and LVG reigns were failures and it's logical he needs to go. Anyway Mourinho wants to have his own staff. I don't think he thought he'd get the job no matter the consequences..
Moyes and LVG may be aggrieved or something but letting them go was a good and any logical decision by Woodward and I don't see his fault in any of this.
I agree with the decisions. All 3 were no brainers. But, Moyes was off scouting Toni Kroos and who knows else just before being sacked. LVG was hugging Woodward after the cup final and his belligerence in press conferences suggested he was incredibly confident of keeping his job.

Who knows? I could be completely wrong here but when it happens 3 times it is hard to argue that all 3 were simply deluded.

Ban

I agree with the decisions. All 3 were no brainers. But, Moyes was off scouting Toni Kroos and who knows else just before being sacked. LVG was hugging Woodward after the cup final and his belligerence in press conferences suggested he was incredibly confident of keeping his job.

Who knows? I could be completely wrong here but when it happens 3 times it is hard to argue that all 3 were simply deluded.
They were deluded, it wasn't Woodward's fault. :)
LVG is deluded whatever you tell him. I bet even if Woodward told him he's finished he would just say "No, I shan't go." :D

Bruno8

Whilst Moyes and LvG may have failed to deliver they are not completely to blame as Woodward and Glazers played a major part in their downfall. Its unfortunate that they are bound by some confidentiality agreements but if they give their side of the story you will start to see things differently.

Giggs was a player-coach during the Moyes reign and I dont understand why he gets blamed for that because he had very little, if any, input to make since he was also fighting for a place in the team. As for LvG reign, his role was to do opposition scouting and try and replicate how the opposition plays and by his own admission LvG usually refused to listen to his coaching staff because he was very stubborn and Giggs got frustrated which is why he refused to comment or defend LvG's methods publicly

POF

They were deluded, it wasn't Woodward's fault. :)
LVG is deluded whatever you tell him. I bet even if Woodward told him he's finished he would just say "No, I shan't go." :D
Maybe. Or maybe he told him to forget the media speculation and he understood it was a 3 year project while he and his wife were sharing an expensive bottle of wine with Louis and Truus.

Beej

Nobody has any fecking idea what happened behind the scenes.
Exactly. Just a bunch of outsiders trying to analyse facial expressions on the bench and tabloid gossip.

Sad to see such a legend go. Hope his management career is a roaring success and he comes home one day.

RedElf

Whilst Moyes and LvG may have failed to deliver they are not completely to blame as Woodward and Glazers played a major part in their downfall. Its unfortunate that they are bound by some confidentiality agreements but if they give their side of the story you will start to see things differently.

Giggs was a player-coach during the Moyes reign and I dont understand why he gets blamed for that because he had very little, if any, input to make since he was also fighting for a place in the team. As for LvG reign, his role was to do opposition scouting and try and replicate how the opposition plays and by his own admission LvG usually refused to listen to his coaching staff because he was very stubborn and Giggs got frustrated which is why he refused to comment or defend LvG's methods publicly
Didn't Giggs recommend LVG for the England job, what does that say about Gigg's view of LVG then?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's not always about the money. Most footballers have pursued no other career in their lives and it's natural to not want to give it up and have to find something new which they may not be good at. Plus once you've retired it's very hard to come back even if you find yourself missing it. It's a difficult judgment call to make whether you're really finished or you can make a comeback and sometimes players make the wrong choice.
That's true. However that applies to players of the previous generations as well. What players of previous generations would usually do was either retire and get on with their lives or join smaller clubs either as players or as player/coaches, player/manager or simply coaches. Dont take me wrong they all had dreams to return to home base at one point. However they would want to prove themselves first and make sure that the club wants them.

What we're seeing now is a wave of players who are ready to play over the supporter's sentiment and cause rifts within the club just to stay for a year or two. Players who would rather go to punditry then get their hands dirty by coaching at small clubs or in a tiny role at their current side. There's this level of entitlement and that total disregard towards the legacy a legend had built through the years that wasn't present before. I mean can you imagine 20-30 years ago players retiring from the national team because the manager was mean with them because he prefers playing better players ahead of them or go 'AWOL' prior to an England's game only to turn perfectly fit for their club? Can you imagine if lets say a young and inexperienced Zoff came to OT as manager in the pre SAF era and said that he can't really give his 100% because he has 'other commitments'? This sort of rubbish was unheard off before

Bruno8

Didn't Giggs recommend LVG for the England job, what does that say about Gigg's view of LVG then?
Of course there are things he saw in LvG that were good because he is an experienced manager after all. I would like to believe that from Jan to May something changed because we started to play, not brilliantly, but much better and with a bit of precision we could have won lots of games convincingly

Akshay

Staff
That's true. However that applies to players of the previous generations as well. What players of previous generations would usually do was either retire and get on with their lives or join smaller clubs either as players or as player/coaches, player/manager or simply coaches. Dont take me wrong they all had dreams to return to home base at one point. However they would want to prove themselves first and make sure that the club wants them.

What we're seeing now is a wave of players who are ready to play over the supporter's sentiment and cause rifts within the club just to stay for a year or two. Players who would rather go to punditry then get their hands dirty by coaching at small clubs or in a tiny role at their current side. There's this level of entitlement and that total disregard towards the legacy a legend had built through the years that wasn't present before. I mean can you imagine 20-30 years ago players retiring from the national team because the manager was mean with them because he prefers playing better players ahead of them or go 'AWOL' prior to an England's game only to turn perfectly fit for their club? Can you imagine if lets say a young and inexperienced Zoff came to OT as manager in the pre SAF era and said that he can't really give his 100% because he has 'other commitments'? This sort of rubbish was unheard off before
I think there are a few reasons for that. First of all, player power is greater now than ever before. Plus, players are used to a certain cushy standard of living and the disparity in wages between the PL clubs and the rest of the footballing structure has grown tremendously. There's a lot more money in punditry too nowadays. So yes, some of that is money related but I also think those options weren't as lucrative for past generations so there wasn't as much of a choice to make.

I'll agree that legacy is a lot less important to players now than it used to be. I think the media is also a part of that though because if you chummy up to the right journalist you get written about favorably whereas if you piss off the wrong people you get bashed to no end. How much of public perception is really down to what players did compared to how the media wrote about it?

SteveW

Glad he's moving on. If he's any good he can come back some day. We've never had any evidence that he's a good coach or would make a good manager.

Sick of hearing how he'd be great because he has respect the respect of the players and learned from SAF. You could say that about dozens of players who played for United over the last 30 years. How many of them are managing top clubs right now?

itso 7

One thing you are leaving out in your pemutations: part of Woodward's job is to avoid rocking the ship so to do just that he has to wear a 'business as usua' face because if both managers knew they were done before hand chaos would have ensued. Surely these are grown men and they should have enough insight to know on their own that failure has consequences. Woodward shouldn't rock the boat during the season and telling to senior members of the management team that they are done is doing exactly that.

Amir

I may be able to accept Woodward's inexperience in the transfer market made things more difficult for Moyes, though I doubt a couple of players would have saved him from himself. The man was under par.

I don't see how the Glazers or Woodward played a part in Van Gaal's fall. It was his own fault.

What would you have done? Tell them beforehand they might be sacked so they shouldn't bother?

If Moyes was amazed then he's an idiot. And he may be. We keep hearing about how he thought that getting a six-year contract meant he was safe for six years. That's crazy. And it seems to be his big complaint, that he wasn't given that time.

krombacher92

He said it live on TV.
He didn't. He said that it would be good for the new England manager to have someone with experience to consult him and named Hoddle, Venables, Ferguson and van Gaal as examples. I don't think that Ferguson would do it and van Gaal is a bit of a horseshit idea, but apart from that I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

POF

One thing you are leaving out in your pemutations: part of Woodward's job is to avoid rocking the ship so to do just that he has to wear a 'business as usua' face because if both managers knew they were done before hand chaos would have ensued. Surely these are grown men and they should have enough insight to know on their own that failure has consequences. Woodward shouldn't rock the boat during the season and telling to senior members of the management team that they are done is doing exactly that.
I may be able to accept Woodward's inexperience in the transfer market made things more difficult for Moyes, though I doubt a couple of players would have saved him from himself. The man was under par.

I don't see how the Glazers or Woodward played a part in Van Gaal's fall. It was his own fault.

What would you have done? Tell them beforehand they might be sacked so they shouldn't bother?

If Moyes was amazed then he's an idiot. And he may be. We keep hearing about how he thought that getting a six-year contract meant he was safe for six years. That's crazy. And it seems to be his big complaint, that he wasn't given that time.
It's a theory based on three senior management figures leaving with a very similar level of discontent which seems incredible looking in from the outside. My conclusion (which may be utter nonsense) is that they were given assurances by the powers that be. Maybe not and all 3 are just deluded idiots.

Bruno8

Think there has been a concerted affort by Woodward/Glazers to get rid of anyone connected with SAF from the Club ever since Moyes left.
Paul McGuinness was pushed out,
Mclair left,
Butt only got the Head of Academy after some negayive articles about the shambles at the Academy but Ed was frustrating him to leave by offering him a contract which was less than what he was earning when he was U19 coach
Giggs was offered a demotion so that he could leave, not even a 1st teach role but some obscure post that would have clashed with Warren Joyce's role. How could he be the bridge of U21s and 1st Team when he was not allowed anywher close to 1st Team

Up next will be the club ambassadors

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

It isn't when you look at their behaviour outside of dealing with Woodward...

1. Moyes - aside from his poor decisions at Utd, look at his behaviour since leaving, he's shown a deluded entitlement that he seemed to think he was owed an elite job AFTER Utd. Even after his sacking in Spain, he really seemed to believe he was bigger than the jobs open to him. This is while top managers like Rafa are taking jobs like Newcastle.

Moyes has definitely shown levels of delusion independent of Woodward.

2. van Gaal - even before United, there are many Bayern fans that would describe Van Gaal as deluded, just as there are many players who would.

Since he arrived here, so many of his decisions were so odd that it's difficult to know where to begin.

Woodward didn't force van Gaal to captain an aging striker and then announce, publicly, that he wouldn't ever drop said player.

van Gaal asked, again publicly, specifically for di Maria, Woodward got him, van Gaal can't utilize him.

The '3 at the back' period, Ashley Young as a striker, Rooney in midfield, Phil Jones on corners, selling Hernandez, selling Nani, Daley Blind as a CB (he isn't one), playing Romero for 4/5 games (thus costing CL football, and arguably, his own job), endless bizarre substitutions and rants.

I'd also argue that at the end trying to hypnotize the fanbase into believing that their own expectations (of qualifying for the CL after spending 250m) were 'much too high', was genuinely deluded.

van Gaal has definitely shown levels of delusion independent of Woodward.

3. Giggs - The clear one with Giggs is obviously his personal decisions which, to be honest, for me does show some level of delusion. But I don't like people's private lives being public property so lets just look at his time here as a failed A.M...

The way his press campaign/media push over the last year was so transparent, clunky and badly thought through was at best extremely naive, and at worst deluded. Having his cronies in the media continuously criticize his boss while they openly praised Giggs was crazy.

If he thought he had a chance of being given the managers job AFTER failing as an A.M, he's deluded.

Giggs has definitely shown levels of delusion independent of Woodward.

So yeah, to me, they all seem more deluded and self obsessed than Woodward's actions show him to be.

He didn't pick Moyes.

He gave van Gaal more time than any other elite club would've done.

He gave Ryan Giggs an incredible opportunity and a position that Giggs should be grateful for (what had he done to deserve being A.M?).

redshaw

If we had a clear two team league he might have a chance but it's so cut throat in the EPL we simply can't take the risk

I hope he can look at Fergie and other great managers around Europe who were top players and see how they had to start off small

acnumber9

Not really. All the against giggs as manager has laid out in details as to why we dont want him, and why we don't think he'll be the one we need.

But you keep on being using childish kindergarten argument like "oh yeah, how do you know that? Can you proof it?"

It's like saying dude... Speeding is dangerous, and you reply... But i haven't crash yet

Give it a rest. He's gone. Most of the against him has wish him well anyway
I've seen some terrible analogies on here but that one could be right at the top. Asking what you base an opinion is childish now? Good to know.

Leaves club: confirmed by United.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Confirmed

Unsurprisingly says thanks to SAF and LVG, good luck to Mourinho and no mention of Moyes :lol:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
No mention of Moyes, shocking :lol::p

From club website:

RYAN GIGGS LEAVES MANCHESTER UNITED
Ryan Giggs is to leave Manchester United, the club he has been with since the age of 14, to pursue his desire to be a manager.

Giggs, 42, has played more times for the club than anyone else in history and is its most decorated player, having won every major honour in club football.

Ryan Giggs said: "After 29 seasons at Manchester United as a player and assistant manager, I know winning is in the DNA of this club - giving youth a chance, and playing attacking and exciting football. It’s healthy to have high expectations, it’s right to expect to win. Manchester United expects, deserves, nothing less.

"This is why it is a huge decision for me to step away from the club that has been my life since the age of 14. It has not been a decision that I have made lightly. I'll take away so many special memories as well as a lifetime of experiences that will, I hope, serve me well in the future.

"However, the time feels right and, although I have no immediate plans to step into management, it is where I want to be.

"I’ve been extremely fortunate in having two great managerial mentors; first in Sir Alex, who I’ve spent the majority of my life working with and learning from and who I believe will remain as football’s greatest-ever manager and in more recent times, Louis van Gaal, whose CV speaks for itself. The knowledge I have gleaned from them has been invaluable.

"I want to reiterate my thanks to the backroom staff and support teams at Manchester United I’ve worked with over the years. The results on the pitch are a reflection of the hard work off it. I would not have achieved the success I have without the dedication, sacrifice and commitment of these people in creating the best environment for the team to succeed.

"I want to congratulate José Mourinho on his appointment as manager of the world’s biggest club. There are only a handful of proven winners at the very highest level and José is unquestionably one of them. I know the fans will welcome him.

"My final thank you is to the fans. I cannot begin to tell you how much I will miss walking out at Old Trafford in front of you. It’s extremely difficult to say goodbye after 29 years. I have loved every minute both as a player and assistant manager. The support you have always shown me has been phenomenal; thank you.

"It’s time for a new chapter and a new challenge. I’m excited about the future - I’ve had the best apprenticeship into management anyone could ever ask for."

Executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward said: "Ryan’s place in the history of Manchester United is assured. He has been a constant presence at the club since 1987 and, during his playing days, regularly delighted crowds; first with his dazzling wing play and later with his intelligence and ability to dictate a game.

"He has tackled his coaching and management responsibilities with similar rigour and diligence. The experiences and discipline he developed at United will undoubtedly be a big help as he continues to learn his trade. He has all the attributes to be a terrific manager in the future. Everyone at the club wishes him well in his new career. He will be missed but will always be welcome at Manchester United."

SirAF

Ageist
I’ve been extremely fortunate in having two great managerial mentors; first in Sir Alex, who I’ve spent the majority of my life working with and learning from and who I believe will remain as football’s greatest-ever manager and in more recent times, Louis van Gaal, whose CV speaks for itself. The knowledge I have gleaned from them has been invaluable.
Nice dig at Moyes :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ideal scenario is he becomes a great manager and returns in the future, reality is he'll be more a Bruce than a Pep

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Sad day but correct decision for everybody. Hopefully he will be back one day as a succesful manager.

My favourite player ever. Wonderful memories. The definition of a term LEGEND.

Coops73

Thanks for the memories Giggs. Amazing player, one of my favourites and I hope to have him back at United as a successful and experienced manager one day. The club has changed so much over the last couple of years, let's hope it's just what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.