Ryan Giggs | United confirm he's left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Ryan has been part of United for nearly 3 decades. How will he react if Jose is appointed?

Is that the end of his association with the club, or will he still be around the club in some capacity? Personally, I certainly hope he has a role. On the flip side think if he has ambitions to manage at the very top this might be the right time to fly the nest

Last edited:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
This is the time for him to prove himself and get some experience like Conte did before Juventus.

Mister_Stubbs

Last time I checked this was Manchester United, not Ryan Giggs United. If he has any problem with the appointment (and hopefully he doesn't, he himself surely understands that he is in no position to take over such a giant club) then he should go elsewhere and forge a managerial career for himself.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Time for him to leave the nest. Hopefully he'll come back having earned the hot seat.

Gee Male

Time for him to leave the nest. Hopefully he'll come back having earned the hot seat.
Agree with this, I think it's likely to be the majority view.

Where would he go though? It's difficult to see him get a PL job at the moment, maybe Swansea if it comes up (not just because he's Welsh, style of football and use of young managers would also make it a good fit) but that's not going to come up this side of Christmas anyway. I'm not sure where else - the likes of Everton will be thinking bigger I'd say.

Would he drop to Championship? If so, would it suit him? It's a very competitive world, and I'm not sure he's the type of person who would thrive in that environment.

Kag

His future belongs elsewhere. Mourinho doesn't need any bullshit. If he genuinely wants him here, though, then he stays.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I really do think it's healthier for all parties if he moves on. The club needs to move on, he's just a relic of a different time.

Gee Male

Time for him to try out management. Maybe the Villa job?
Might not be bad call re Villa, probably the type of name the new owner would like as well. Though I reckon the fans would prefer someone more tried and tested, maybe a bit more conservative appointment.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Won't mind if he stays on as an assistant and won't be heartbroken if he leaves to manage somewhere else. I like the idea of Giggs managing us some day. Unfortunately, it would have been too much of a risk giving him the job in the state the club is in now.

Bojan11

Want him gone.

I don't think it is healthy keeping someone on who wants your job. Especially with Mourinho around.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He should really go and try to find a decent club for himself, it's better for him and the club I think. Time for him to start his managerial career.

Enigma_87

You know who
He'll not be AM that's clear. He's not the type of assistant Jose would appoint. Celtic/Aston Villa or lower prem side would be best for him

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I'd like to see him stay, working under managers like LVG and Jose will be a great learning experience and his knowledge of the club will help Jose too.

Perrick Dubois

If I were him, getting as close to Mourinho as possible would be a smart move. Be it a coach or assistant or whatever. There probably isn't anyone better in the world of football to learn under (besides maybe SAF) at the moment. I'd have felt much happier having the club hand the keys to Giggs after a Mourinho tenure rather than a Van Gaal one.

Litch

Stay, it's an opportunity to have worked with 3 of the greatest managers on your CV.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Why should Mourinho keep him? Why should United feel the need to keep him on board? They'll know more about him Giggs the manager by how he fares as the main man, not the assistant.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why should Mourinho keep him? Why should United feel the need to keep him on board? They'll know more about him Giggs the manager by how he fares as the main man, not the assistant.
He's part of the furniture

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ryan has been part of United for nearly 3 decades. How will he react if Jose is appointed?

Is that the end of his association with the club, or will he still be around the club in some capacity? Personally, I certainly hope he has a role. On the flip side think if he has ambitions to manage at the very top this might be the right time to fly the nest
If he has United best interest in his heart he will understand, he will accept, and he will sacrifice for the greater good

Anything less than sacrificing whatever his feeling (ego, pride, entitlement) means he has his own interest, so whatever for him I don't care. We do not owe him anything, we owe him gratitude and respect, but not the managerial job

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If I were him, getting as close to Mourinho as possible would be a smart move. Be it a coach or assistant or whatever. There probably isn't anyone better in the world of football to learn under (besides maybe SAF) at the moment. I'd have felt much happier having the club hand the keys to Giggs after a Mourinho tenure rather than a Van Gaal one.
This is where integrity comes in, with his raport of sticking one at the back I don't think anyone with a sane mind will trust him.

Personally if my employee did what he did, I wouldn't trust him with anything, let alone raising him to take over my job.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This is where integrity comes in, with his raport of sticking one at the back I don't think anyone with a sane mind will trust him.

Personally if my employee did what he did, I wouldn't trust him with anything, let alone raising him to take over my job.
What did Giggs do?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Someone's been falling for media drivel...:rolleyes:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't know why but I get the feeling he's scared of going elsewhere and ballsing up thus ruining any hope of getting the United job.

PeteManic

He'll not leave. My guess is he will be is a similar role as part of Jose's team. Fergie will make sure of it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's going to move on but it has nothing to do with Mourinho. He had a small chance of stepping into the manager's shoes if he and van Gaal were a successful duo and he progressively took on more responsibility. That didn't happen so being an assistant for another manager could only be a step back in his career. If he stays then it suggests to me he's given up on management.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He should go and get experience elsewhere. Let him earn the job. Just because he's a United legend as a player doesn't mean he should have an automatic shot at being a manager down the line.

On a personal note, he's a swine of a human for his off-field antics so I really want him to go for now.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
On the BT Sport interview with him yesterday, he said he was really looking forward to next season. Of course, that might be at Man United, or somewhere else!

Ash_G

As I've said before I honestly don't understand why we should be worried about him leaving. Leaving alone his personal antics not making him exactly ideal as the face of United, ultimately there is nothing to suggest that he currently can be a good manager let alone a united calibre manager.

If he leaves he's not going to a top club, he might get PL if he's lucky but otherwise probably championship level if he stays in England so it's not like we lose out to a rival. Best case he does well and we bring him back one day as a proven manager, if he doesn't succeed then at least we know. I don't see why he'd be leaving on bad terms with us and so why we wouldn't be his first choice if we wanted him to be our manager.

Devil81

To be honest, if he's got any ambition of managing Manchester United, he needs to move on and prove his potential anyway.

On a personal level, I've lost a great amount of respect for the man, he was a fantastic servant for the club but a horrible guy.

Revan

Assumptionman
What did Giggs do?
It isn't a white and black situation. While Giggs might - or might have not, likely the later - back-stab Moyes and LVG, there is no doubt that he had a clear interest to get the job, and all of his friends on the media have been pushing for him. If I was Mourinho, I wouldn't want him near me, even if he behaves completely professionally. After every loss, draw or defensive performance, after every match when Mourinho won't play young players, ater he decides to sell the likes of Lingard or McNair, you will see Scholes and co. talking how shit is Mourinho and how United should have given the job to Giggs.

No idea how Giggs is as assistant manager, Mourinho doesn't need his shadow there.

And that is of course, without mentioning that he has been part of two regimes which have completely failed here.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Being an assistant to the third successive United manager wouldn't sit well on Giggs' resume, IMO. Provided he has major managerial aspirations - he is at a crossroads, which could have big implications on his future. At a certain point, he has to venture out of the cocoon he's imposed on himself, or the club has imposed on him - to forge his own, independent path. You can do only so much as an assistant, and once you reach a decent level in terms of your understanding of the coaching side of the game - no amount of experience in a secondary position can compensate for the experience you've missed out as an actual manager - in terms of being the ultimate football authority at a club, managing expectations that come with the territory, putting his 'philosophy' into effect rather than adhering to someone else's, the pressure of big games and managing his personnel, and so forth.

If Mourinho is successful at United (hypothetical scenario), and is retained for the medium to long term, what exactly has Giggs gained as his assistant? And doesn't that leave him in a limbo in terms of staying on as the assistant, rather than being his own man somewhere else? And if/ when Mourinho leaves, does he have ironclad guarantees to inherit the throne, or will United do the pragmatic thing - and appoint the best man for the job with the managerial CV to back up his candidacy than a managerial novice with no real-time experience? Ryan needs a clean break. He needs to go out, and experience things from the POV of a manager, he needs to sink or swim. Sitting in the Old Trafford dugout for time immemorial would serve no purpose, unless his ambition is to insulate himself and give up on jobs elsewhere. In which case, it would ideal for the club to make it patently clear to the incumbent manager that Giggs isn't there to be groomed.

Nothing worse than the Sword of Democles hanging over Mourinho's head, and a member of his staff being after his position once he fails. Especially one who has friends on the media that can, and have put pressure on the United manager. Their intentions might be perfectly conscientious, but these things can snowball over time and cause interpersonal rifts reg. vested interests of certain individuals, and their motives (again, a matter of interpretation) - which isn't what you want at a time when the club needs to stabilize from its post-Fergie stupor.

Ryan deserves immense respect as a player, but him hanging on at Old Trafford would be akin to Gerrard being groomed by Liverpool under Klopp, and being assured of his chance when the German cocks things up - or Terry at Chelsea under Conti, and so forth. In contrast with that, Aitor Karanka had no managerial aspirations at Madrid, and wasn't being 'groomed' for the job when he worked under Mourinho. He's now building his own career at Middlesbrough. The latter's ok, the former's not, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.