SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness or memes please)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I would be very surprised if the signatories hold reputable positions at any academic institutions.
If they do they should be sacked.

Love that they used a Bill Gates conspiracy theory video as a reference to show a vaccine will seriously harm 700,000 people.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Went for a walk today and admittedly I’ve got a shitty old iPhone 6S and use an app which tracks our walks. Starting with a full charge it’s usually on around 50% by the end of the walk. I was about half way through the walk today and noticed my battery was down to ~20%. I had to download the NHS COVID app a couple of days ago and realised that had been absolutely chewing my battery. Deleted the app and made it most of the rest of the walk before it dropped out.

I can’t imagine many people are going to keep it installed when it’s absolutely ripping battery like that. I know my phone is old and shit but thats ridiculous.
Same thing happened with the HSE app in Ireland. Thought my phone was on its way out, turned out to be the app overheating my phone.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Victoria has withdrawn the curfew from midnight as they have got their 14 day rolling average down to just over 20 a day and declining. NSW had zero new infections today for the first time since early June. Good news but not over by a long shot yet in Victoria.

The Victiria health minister got thrown under the bus yesterday for aklowing the hotel quarantine breechs that set this outbreak in motion. Probanly mainly to save Dan Andrews who is under pressure from the far right and the Mudoch press despite doing a great job IMO.

I think international borders will remain shut well into 2021 though. Possibly until a vaccine is widely distributed.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Victoria has withdrawn the curfew from midnight as they have got their 14 day rolling average down to just over 20 a day and declining. NSW had zero new infections today for the first time since early June. Good news but not over by a long shot yet in Victoria.

The Victiria health minister got thrown under the bus yesterday for aklowing the hotel quarantine breechs that set this outbreak in motion. Probanly mainly to save Dan Andrews who is under pressure from the far right and the Mudoch press despite doing a great job IMO.

I think international borders will remain shut well into 2021 though. Possibly until a vaccine is widely distributed.
Good news, hopefully the coming summer will help with keeping it under control. I think you guys have a big enough internal economy to cope with a lack of tourists, it wont be nice for the tourism industry but it wont be armageddon like some think.
We had another cluster appear a week ago with someone coming out of the 14 day isolation and 2 negative tests then showing as infected a week later. The family also spent a week travelling around the North island but reports have said they were really great with using the covid tracking app so the authorities have found it a much easier task to contact trace. So far so good as only immediate family members have caught it. If this works out I would have to say the health dept here deserve a pat on the back for the amount of effort they are putting in with contact tracing etc. We should see Auckland drop down to lowest level 1 by the time the election arrives in a few weeks time.
On a side issue I am over the next two weeks doing the product photography for Linen House Australia because their photographers arent able to open their studio till the 16th October. Im doing all this via LH NZ a sister company. It makes me wonder if many other types of work has been farmed out over the Tasman to NZ as well.

Pogue Mahone

Poster of the year 2008
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My eldest just had his second covid test (poor bastard!) Very high fever through the night on Friday. Phone GP out of hours service Sat morning. Tested at noon on Saturday (10 minutes from where we live). Result back this evening (negative) Very impressive turnaround. System in Ireland still working very well despite current surge.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
My eldest just had his second covid test (poor bastard!) Very high fever through the night on Friday. Phone GP out of hours service Sat morning. Tested at noon on Saturday (10 minutes from where we live). Result back this evening (negative) Very impressive turnaround. System in Ireland still working very well despite current surge.
Thats really really fast, helps reduce stress levels.

How long does it take you to count to 711?
Scout
My nephew the same, tested Friday, result negative this morning. Probably tonsilitis. Hope your lad gets better soon from whatever it really is anyway.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Good news, hopefully the coming summer will help with keeping it under control. I think you guys have a big enough internal economy to cope with a lack of tourists, it wont be nice for the tourism industry but it wont be armageddon like some think.
We had another cluster appear a week ago with someone coming out of the 14 day isolation and 2 negative tests then showing as infected a week later. The family also spent a week travelling around the North island but reports have said they were really great with using the covid tracking app so the authorities have found it a much easier task to contact trace. So far so good as only immediate family members have caught it. If this works out I would have to say the health dept here deserve a pat on the back for the amount of effort they are putting in with contact tracing etc. We should see Auckland drop down to lowest level 1 by the time the election arrives in a few weeks time.
On a side issue I am over the next two weeks doing the product photography for Linen House Australia because their photographers arent able to open their studio till the 16th October. Im doing all this via LH NZ a sister company. It makes me wonder if many other types of work has been farmed out over the Tasman to NZ as well.
I'd say Victoria in particular has lost lots of work to other states and NZ.

Pexbo

Online influencer who has never watched Star Wars
Isn’t that also the only pub/bar in the country you can still legally smoke in?

Pexbo

Online influencer who has never watched Star Wars
Something I can see happening is when it gets completely out of hand in the Universities, students are either told it’s entirely remote and they dont have to stay or students deciding that for themselves. You‘ll then have a few hundred thousand people, probably around Christmas time, spreading out around the country again, going back to family homes.

Jacko21

Something I can see happening is when it gets completely out of hand in the Universities, students are either told it’s entirely remote and they dont have to stay or students deciding that for themselves. You‘ll then have a few hundred thousand people, probably around Christmas time, spreading out around the country again, going back to family homes.
All first year learning at Manchester Met has been moved online for at least two weeks. Though surely that'll be extended.

Irrespective of what may happen nationally, I don't see it being long before Greater Manchester is subject to more restrictions. Same goes for areas with similar numbers.

Dan_F

So it’s open past 10pm because it’s in the workplace, but you can smoke in there, even though it’s illegal to smoke inside a workplace. That’s even better.

esmufc07

Cried while watching Titanic
Scout
All first year learning at Manchester Met has been moved online for at least two weeks. Though surely that'll be extended.

Irrespective of what may happen nationally, I don't see it being long before Greater Manchester is subject to more restrictions. Same goes for areas with similar numbers.
At the rate places are going into local lockdowns surely it's only a matter of time before there's a national one?

Jacko21

At the rate places are going into local lockdowns surely it's only a matter of time before there's a national one?
It'd be simpler at least. The idea of a 'social lockdown' has been muted again. Two-week closure of pubs/bars/restaurants and a total ban of households meeting.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It is local because we are not allowed to drive 5 miles into the next area without good reason.
We weren’t allowed to drive 5 miles during the “National” lockdown except for work so unsure how that makes it local. 1.9m people in Wales are now under strict lockdown rules. You can’t meet another household anywhere indoors. Not even extended bubbles. It isn’t a localised issue is it? It’s a National lockdown with exemptions. They’re only calling them localised lockdowns because they’ve said all along another National one would be a failing and not needed. It’s spin. They’re also yet again doing the worst of both worlds. The hospitality sector is fecked. If you’re a pub/hospitality venue in Cardiff paying those colossal rates NOBODY from outside Cardiff can come to your venue. So yes, technically you’re allowed to open but realistically you’re ruined. There is no additional support for that sector. No targeted furlough just the shitty package the chancellor announced last week which does sod all. On the other side of that we can see from what’s happening in Manchester that these measures aren’t enough like many predicted. The infection rates aren’t slowing. It’s a shit show and we haven’t even got to October yet. Aside from all that happy Monday :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

Donkey Buggering Tyrant who cheats at Monopoly
Glad his test is negative chap, Good news :)

Pogue Mahone

Poster of the year 2008
The second tweet says that they estimated that 40-50% of the region had been infected. Have you not said previously that’s too low for herd immunity anyway?
I don’t think anyone know what’s needed for herd immunity but even well below that threshold you wouldn’t expect a dramatic surge of cases if one in two people was permanently immune after being infected.

Adamsk7

The truth of the matter is we can’t be sure on any of it. It’s estimated 40-60% had been infected but that’s just an estimate - what if it was less than 40%? Plenty of room to manoeuvre for the virus there. We’re also guessing that herd immunity kicks in at about 60% and up.

They did have a large drop off though and we already know antibodies last a couple of months in the blood - we don’t know much about ongoing T-cell memory to fight the disease and we also don’t know if the newly infected in this area are the same people, asymptomatic, or what!

very speculative article IMO.

acnumber9

I don’t think anyone know what’s needed for herd immunity but even well below that threshold you wouldn’t expect a dramatic surge of cases if one in two people was permanently immune after being infected.
The report on how many had been infected in that region hasn’t been peer reviewed yet and the article contains no figures on anything. Feels like a rush to confirm an opinion to me.

Pogue Mahone

Poster of the year 2008
The report on how many had been infected in that region hasn’t been peer reviewed yet and the article contains no figures on anything. Feels like a rush to confirm an opinion to me.
Sure. It’s all very speculative too. But there comes a point when all the data about antibody levels falling away after two or three months, combined with reports of people being infected twice, combined with what’s happening in Manaus does point towards immunity not lasting.

Josep Dowling

It must be horrendous being a student over the next 2 years. The whole experience of university has been lost and now they are paying bloated fees for no more than online classes. And then to be told you may not be able to come home for Christmas! The whole situation is a farce. Surely it would make more sense to ensure home classes are available in the weeks leading up to Xmas, then ensure students actually self-isolate before they go home.

acnumber9

Sure. It’s all very speculative too. But there comes a point when all the data about antibody levels falling away after two or three months, combined with reports of people being infected twice, combined with what’s happening in Manaus does point towards immunity not lasting.
How many people have actually been confirmed as being infected twice?