SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
From what i can tell the new rules all come into force from 15th October, except for the masks which is immediate. It's not exactly clear yet as the new regulations were only approved this morning.

If you do need to take the test you can do it at the airport no problem.
Thanks, looks like we may be going home just in time.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sturgeon in Holyrood announcing new restrictions. Whenever I hear her talk I can never understand why folk like Boris are so bad at it.

She's from Ayrshire which means that at this time of her day her blood is 70% gin.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn't get the second Covid notification. Feel like Neo dodging that shit.

Baxter

Only about a month late locking down the central belt. Quick enough to do it for Aberdeen and now it’s got out of control.

redshaw

14162 cases and 70 deaths for UK

3145 in hospital

Interesting on the dashboard they have the 57k deaths stat on there.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Sturgeon in Holyrood announcing new restrictions. Whenever I hear her talk I can never understand why folk like Boris are so bad at it.

She's from Ayrshire which means that at this time of her day her blood is 70% gin.
:lol: :lol:
Didn't get the second Covid notification. Feel like Neo dodging that shit.
Superb news chap, finishing my day with a smile now :)

RedRover

Maybe I misunderstood. Is your position that the public health measures they've taken now are made in full recognition of the economic costs, that their decision-making process has had balance at the forefront of their thinking, and that you just have a different opinion on what the right balance should be?

From the way you framed your argument, it sounded like you were saying they make these decisions without taking into account the knock on effects, and that you wanted to bring a more balanced perspective to the table. Almost everyone wants a balanced approach, they just have a different idea of balance. Advocating for public health measures doesn't imply that they don't recognise the economic effects, whether that's people in government or the public.

I agree the government are poor communicators but it doesn't surprise me given who was elected.
I of course accept that behind the scenes, the Government is trying to keep the economy running whilst protecting the NHS and trying to keep loss of life and transmission of the virus to a minimum. What I'd like to see is more being made of that and a Government who will speak plainly about the need for balance, which has been lacking to date. For example, I appreciate nobody wants to openly say that there is an acceptable number of deaths from the virus to allow a functioning economy (thereby saving lives which may otherwise be lost), even if that is true.

As I said, we're in unprecedented times and I see no reason why politicians can't put the spin to one side and be honest. Maybe that allows the public to better understand the problems they're having to deal with and how complicated this all is. Maybe it makes people more sympathetic to others and perhaps, encourages people to follow the rules. Maybe it creates more "buy - in" if the Government says "here are the facts, this is why we've done what we've done". Maybe that's over optimistic.

It's almost as if, despite being in the biggest post-war crisis the country has seen, the public are seen as to soft, or too stupid to understand that it is impossible to fully suppress the virus and keep the economy running.

Being frank, who knows what the right balance is. I'm not sure it can ever be found 100%, or at least, as things change its something that needs to be kept constantly under review.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I of course accept that behind the scenes, the Government is trying to keep the economy running whilst protecting the NHS and trying to keep loss of life and transmission of the virus to a minimum. What I'd like to see is more being made of that and a Government who will speak plainly about the need for balance, which has been lacking to date. For example, I appreciate nobody wants to openly say that there is an acceptable number of deaths from the virus to allow a functioning economy (thereby saving lives which may otherwise be lost), even if that is true.

As I said, we're in unprecedented times and I see no reason why politicians can't put the spin to one side and be honest. Maybe that allows the public to better understand the problems they're having to deal with and how complicated this all is. Maybe it makes people more sympathetic to others and perhaps, encourages people to follow the rules. Maybe it creates more "buy - in" if the Government says "here are the facts, this is why we've done what we've done". Maybe that's over optimistic.

It's almost as if, despite being in the biggest post-war crisis the country has seen, the public are seen as to soft, or too stupid to understand that it is impossible to fully suppress the virus and keep the economy running.

Being frank, who knows what the right balance is. I'm not sure it can ever be found 100%, or at least, as things change its something that needs to be kept constantly under review.
Yeah, I'd appreciate that a lot too. It's supposed to be one of the pillars of any successful strategy in dealing with scenarios like this; clear, consistent and transparent messaging. In the end we as a country elected a prime minister whose most noticeable quality prior to the election was sticking exceptionally closely to simple slogans on big issues which were neither true nor substantive. It's entirely predictable that he would stick to that same model in the next crisis, and the government would follow cue. We didn't elect someone that we thought would be good in a crisis, or if we did, we didn't think about that one very hard. It's due to a failure of the public, the media and the opposition political parties that we find ourselves in that scenario, so maybe next time we'll take the consequences more seriously. As it is we should hold them to account and demand more but, personally, I don't expect that to be delivered upon.

Brwned

One thing to add is that they might have a good (and also terrible) reason for not being transparent: they're handling it very badly, and being more open would only lead to more civil disobedience (not less) among those who are fed up, while panicking those who already worry.

For example, if they were to talk about the contact tracing system openly, many more people would get this message:

In England, people are neither handing over many contacts — about five, on average — nor following the rules. In a survey of about 32,000 Britons, less than one in five who reported coronavirus symptoms said they had stayed home. Of those alerted that they had been close to an infected person, only one in 10 said they had complied with orders to self-isolate.

“It suggests there is some degree of skepticism in the population to engagement,” said Professor Christophe Fraser of the University of Oxford, an adviser to the government’s tracing program, referring to the proportion of known cases — a fifth — who handed over no other names.

Crucially, many Western governments have failed to cushion the financial and psychological blow of self-isolation by guaranteeing people tests or giving them enough money to weather two weeks without work.

People self-isolating and unable to work in England were eligible for just 13 pounds, or $16.70, per day, until the government increased the payments this past week.

“You need to have the trust of people for this to work, and trust comes by whether you’re going to take care of me,” said Dr. Jason Wang, a Stanford University professor of health policy who has studied Taiwan’s coronavirus response. “If I’m sick, are you going to help me, or just quarantine me? Are you going to get me tested on time?”

With tests results lagging in many countries, contact tracers cannot get ahead of the virus. In Paris, people wait up to a week to get testing appointments and results. England recently recorded a backlog of nearly 200,000 untested lab samples, making it impossible to track the virus through newly reopened schools.
Danielle Lennon, who lives in hard-hit northeastern England, sat in a mile-long line of idling cars for almost an hour to get her 7-year-old daughter tested, only for someone to announce that the testing center was closed.

“The government has kind of lost the general public on this, through incompetence,” she said.
So while a lot of the talk on here about contact tracing failures has been about the system, it has more to do with poor cooperation from society in part because they don't trust the entire government response. All it does is impose additional burdens on people without providing appropriate support, and it doesn't even work anyway, so why bother.

Side note: cooperation is even worse in France, the US, Germany.

In Taiwan, an infected person names more than 15 contacts on average, and tracers often interview patients in person, trying to extract details about secret jobs or marital affairs. But the picture in Europe is far different, and the low level of cooperation has startled public health experts.

In Spain, where hospitals are struggling with a new rush of cases, contact tracers identify, on average, only three contacts for each known case. In France, the figure has fallen below three.

Yet even those numbers are higher than in the United States. In New York City, each infected person hands over an average of 1.1 other names.

NinjaFletch

Am I losing my mind?

This is the PHE data most recently released:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-covid-19-surveillance-reports

Figure 19 and 20 clearly show that workplaces and education settings are driving the wave and that hospitality has an absolutely negligible effect on it.

So why are we clambering over ourselves to argue about exactly how strict things should be, and not addressing the elephant in the room that it is simply not possible to teach kids safely and that employers have failed to make workplaces "covid secure".

I'm sure my moaning comes from a selfish place (hell, I know it does), but I simply cannot for the life of me understand why we're diverting all our attention to making miniscule changes to people's ability to actually do anything remotely fun over the next six months when it's such a tiny sticking plaster on the absolutely huge gaping wound that is education and workplaces.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Am I losing my mind?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-covid-19-surveillance-reports

Figure 19 and 20 clearly show that workplaces and education settings are driving the wave and that hospitality has an absolutely negligible effect on it.

So why are we clambering over ourselves to argue about exactly how strict things should be, and not addressing the elephant in the room that it is simply not possible to teach kids safely and that employers have failed to make workplaces "covid secure".

I'm sure my moaning comes from a selfish place (hell, I know it does), but I simply cannot for the life of me understand why we're diverting all our attention to making miniscule changes to people's ability to actually do anything remotely fun over the next six months when it's such a tiny sticking plaster on the absolutely huge gaping wound that is education and workplaces.
I think you’re right, unfortunately. I saw a Twitter thread from a public health physician in Israel. He was absolutely convinced that it was their schools which drove their outbreak. Right the way into a second full lockdown.

Maybe less of an issue for very young kids (creches opened in the UK ages before surge started) but secondary schools seem to be riddled with the virus. Looks as though one of the biggest factor in keeping things under control over summer was keeping the kids out of school. Everywhere we look, shit starts going south within weeks of them starting up again.

It does seem harsh to put such strict restrictions on the hospitality sector when the issues are elsewhere. It’s obviously the most politically palatable scapegoat.

NinjaFletch

I think you’re right, unfortunately. I saw a Twitter thread from a public health physician in Israel. He was absolutely convinced that it was their schools which drove their outbreak. Right the way into a second full lockdown.

Maybe less of an issue for very young kids (creches opened in the UK ages before surge started) but secondary schools seem to be riddled with the virus. Looks as though one of the biggest factor in keeping things under control over summer was keeping the kids out of school. Everywhere we look, shit starts going south within weeks of them starting up again.

It does seem harsh to put such strict restrictions on the hospitality sector when the issues are elsewhere. It’s obviously the most politically palatable scapegoat.
Which begs the question, how many people are governments willing to let die for kids to be in school. I can well understand that people would be able to put forward a case that that number is not zero (I understand that this is essentially the sort of calculation that health services make on a micro scale all the time), but I bet the public appetite for death is a lot lower than the actual number would be.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Schools are always a driver with viruses so it would be very surprising if they weren't involved in this pandemic, even if younger kids seem to possibly get infected less often, certainly get far less severe or no symptoms, albeit with it still seeming largely unknown how much they can transmit once infected. Secondary schools are surely a concern as it is the U9's that are least effected.

acnumber9

I don’t fully understand why schools have to be kept open at all costs. Except of course that the Government just want the parents in work. I understand that people want their kids to be educated and have the social interaction that goes with it but what’s the point when those same kids futures are being destroyed?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Reading NZ beat Covid again. God I miss that place.
NZ has eradicated again. Victoria continues to tread downwards towards zero even if there is still some community transmission occurring. NSW went 11 days without a case of community transmission but frustratingly 3 cases popped up yesterday, which may reset the clock on opening the border with QLD which was due in November.

Given how hard it has been for AU to get back to very low levels of infection you wonder what it would now take in most countries to massively reduce infections especially given the northern winter is coming, which can't help. The world really fecked this one up even though some countries fecked it up worse than others.

Last edited:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
There seems to be a few in my work place who have got it, the frustrating thing is no one is telling us about it, we are hearing someone in our area from the other shift has it, we weren't told but other rooms were told.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My personal preference would be to close pubs before stopping sports (with no fans watching, obviously) I’m not 100% sure of relative risks but it seems obvious that drunk people crammed into indoor spaces is considerably higher risk than sober people playing football together, outdoors. Indoor sports more risky but with good ventilation and sensible precautions they’re probably ok. The problem with pubs is that people get drunk and drunk people are terrible at implementing sensible precautions. That’s why they’re not allowed to drive cars.
What measures are taken to ensure safe opening of pubs? Here you have to electronically register prior to entry, apply hand sanitiser (some even take your temperature), most remove or close about 50% of tables (there is a customer per sqm rule I think) and you aren't allowed to stand other than to go to the bar to order (all seating). Each pub must also have a specific identified covid marshall to enforce the rules and you often see the cops dropping in to check. The fines for getting it wrong are big and a few places have had their licences suspended for a period of time for not complying. I'm guessing the UK and Ireland aren't requlating to this extent.

Reiver

Schools are always a driver with viruses so it would be very surprising if they weren't involved in this pandemic, even if younger kids seem to possibly get infected less often, certainly get far less severe or no symptoms, albeit with it still seeming largely unknown how much they can transmit once infected. Secondary schools are surely a concern as it is the U9's that are least effected.
My wife works in a large primary school. On average I'd say they are made aware of one positive test per week. Dozens of children are off on a weekly basis whilst they wait for test results after having symptoms
The most frustrating thing is that she is now off work and isolating for the second time after parents had their child tested, sent them into school BEFORE they have had the results of the test, only for them to subsequently test positive.

SinNombre

Brwned

Am I losing my mind?

I think most people would argue it makes sense to prioritise the wider economy and education over fun, and so what they're doing is whittling away at the at the stuff around the edges until the only thing left is those two. They foreshadowed this with public health experts saying they may have to close pubs to keep schools open in August, and the majority accepted it. I wouldn't rule out those two being on the horizon as well as, rather than instead of, these restrictions.

I do think the scale of transmission in schools changes that equation somewhat though. It was suggested that young kids aren't much of a concern back in August, but primary schools have 10x as many clusters as universities, and education is the source of 5x as many cases vs. restaurants, pubs, and seemingly every other leisure activity. Those figures don't seem to fit with their projections, so surely they should at least be revising the model.

If it was put to the public that you could stop the surge in transmission entirely by taking kids out of school, and all other recent restrictions could be removed, how many people would agree? I'd guess it would be a majority. Especially if they provided real figures for how many jobs will be lost in hospitality because of it.

The problem with the education system is it's less flexible. A couple of months of no school means the entire school year is fecked, the curriculum is very rigid in that way. Whereas a couple of months without pubs means nothing when people go straight back to normal routines afterwards.

The other thing is about mental health. People are quick to point to pubs being important for people's mental health, which is true to a point, but I'd imagine it's more true for schools. Some affluent and like minded families have found the extra time with their kids a net benefit but loads were close to breaking point being teacher, carer and worker all day long. On balance I'd say it's much more of a risk to long term mental health.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
There seems to be a few in my work place who have got it, the frustrating thing is no one is telling us about it, we are hearing someone in our area from the other shift has it, we weren't told but other rooms were told.
The White House is no place to work these days.

tombombadil

Am I losing my mind?

Big money trumps leisure. The greater economy takes precedence. That's the sad fact of the broken world we live in. In order to survive, we must sacrifice lives to make rich people richer.

Anyways, I think you made a good observation about schools. One thing many governments realized is what people call "super spreader" events. Any situation where large groups of people congregate and social distancing is difficult can potentially lead to that. Especially if it is in closed spaces. Schools, construction sites and religious events are examples of this. School children have no concern for hygiene in their behavior and they can hardly social distance in the closed environment of their classes.

Some countries actually implemented measures to combat this. E.g. Mandatory testing of school teachers and students before reopening. Rostered classrooms where classes take turns between studying from home and studying in school. Priority given to classes facing national exams, like O levels. Regular surveillance testing to catch outbreaks before they get out of control. I'm not sure if the UK has had any of these measures.

It's a crime to see how europe did so well to contain the virus only to cock it up with overly aggressive reopenings. Was there a lack of social distancing/testing/surevillance testing protocols? UK and EU even opened borders early without even a concern for checking respective country 7 day infection rate averages, right? UK was still at ~1000 cases a day when they reopened with Spain and Italy who were down to ~100 cases a day, IIRC.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The White House is no place to work these days.
:lol: :lol: , seriously though I was sitting down at lunch and overheard 2 women talk about COVID in the factory, they mentioned that one room was the talk of the factory and then they mentioned my area has a confirmed case, point of all this is you miss out on a lot of what’s going on when you don’t have a talkative smoker working in your area, we’d heard nothing off no one, in fact the buddies misses had heard about it before we had and she’s out on maternity.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
:lol: :lol: , seriously though I was sitting down at lunch and overheard 2 women talk about COVID in the factory, they mentioned that one room was the talk of the factory and then they mentioned my area has a confirmed case, point of all this is you miss out on a lot of what’s going on when you don’t have a talkative smoker working in your area, we’d heard nothing off no one, in fact the buddies misses had heard about it before we had and she’s out on maternity.
Where is this if you don’t mind me asking? Location on earth, not specific name of factory.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Video called my dad and his wife in Australia and had to politely end the call quickly before I exploded. They're apparently going to pop down to the beach even though it's closed because she "can't walk near our house as the hills are too steep" and they've had family over for coffee but it's ok because they were six feet apart on the veranda, none of them have colds, all the usual bullshit. I told them that just because the curve is going down doesn't mean it can't come back to hit them in the arse so stay indoors and stop having people over, but it fell on deaf ears because apparently their health service is a million times better than ours.

My dad has fecking Parkinson's and he's in his seventies ffs. Told them "don't have anyone over, make the smart choices and stay safe" and ended the call.
Where are they?

Brwned

Video called my dad and his wife in Australia and had to politely end the call quickly before I exploded. They're apparently going to pop down to the beach even though it's closed because she "can't walk near our house as the hills are too steep" and they've had family over for coffee but it's ok because they were six feet apart on the veranda, none of them have colds, all the usual bullshit. I told them that just because the curve is going down doesn't mean it can't come back to hit them in the arse so stay indoors and stop having people over, but it fell on deaf ears because apparently their health service is a million times better than ours.

My dad has fecking Parkinson's and he's in his seventies ffs. Told them "don't have anyone over, make the smart choices and stay safe" and ended the call.
Isn't it something to cherish that even at their age, in their condition and in these circumstances, they're still willing and able to live freely (within a broad spectrum of responsible choices)? You value their lives more than their freedom, which most people can relate to, but should they?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Where are they?
Isn't it something to cherish that even at their age, in their condition and in these circumstances, they're still willing and able to live freely (within a broad spectrum of responsible choices)? You value their lives more than their freedom, which most people can relate to, but should they?
Wait, why are you both quoting something from April? :lol: