SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
As you’ve said yourself kids are impacted by the virus differently for reasons we don’t understand. They may be less likely to show symptoms and therefore less likely to be tested could they not? I’ve linked a epidemiologist who said opening secondary schools with no restrictions could cause increases, that goes with the case numbers.

I see you’re now citing the evidence used in our circuit breaker in Northern Ireland. You say that for face masks a 0.2 reduction in the R rate is significant. Yet for some reason are arguing against the fact that schools are a significant contributor despite it having a greater impact on the R rate from the exact same evidence. Not only are you picking and choosing which epidemiologists to believe, you’re choosing what parts of the same evidence to believe.

I don’t really want another day of back and forth on this. We just fundamentally disagree on the subject. Due to the fact that schools just aren’t going to close I hope for everybody’s sake that you are right.
Yeah, it could be a cause of them having few or no symptoms making them less likely to fall into pillar 1 and pillar 2 testing. But if you accept the premise that they have fewer symptoms, then that's another reason why kids spread it less: asymptomatic people can spread it, but much less often. Symptoms don't play a role in the random sample swab study ran by the ONS, though. And it has consistently shown young kids are infected much less frequently than young adults, and that young kids have consistently tested positive less often than someone my age, even while the majority of us are not going into work every day while they go into school every day.

I'm not picking and choosing evidence nor epidemiologists. That's a weird case of projection. I used the evidence you provided on Northern Ireland, just like I used the evidence @F-Red provided from PHE, and in both cases I outlined the weaknesses in the data that could lead to the wrong conclusion while using that data to make a point. I've spent a lot of these discussions just assessing the evidence, never dismissing it. I have never said "well one expert says this and the other expert says this so really it's all about opinions, right?". I believe it's important to consider all of the evidence and evaluate it on its strengths and weaknesses, with the objective of better understanding the situation, while you use it as a tool to prove a point. So let's break down those two claims seperately.

Yes I think a reduction of 0.2 is significant for masks. I also think a reduction of 0.2 for schools is significant too. If you actually asked people what they thought rather than using them as a prop to tell other people why they're stupid, you might run into this confusion less often. As laid out in NI's documents, it's not just about the impact it has on reducing transmission, but also the economic, social and psychological impacts. This is their assessment of school closures:

"Non-COVID impact (incl. social and psychological; excl. economic): High. Disruption of education, wellbeing of children. Increases in domestic abuse, home accidents, and reductions in child and adult mental health. Likely to have a higher adverse impact (education, physical and mental well-being) on vulnerable children and low income and BAME communities."
Alternatively they assess the impact of closing classes when cases pop up - the method they're going back to now - as "low". They also assess the impact of wearing masks as "low", regardless of whether it's indoors or outdoors.

That's quite a big distinction to start with. Wearing masks hurts basically nobody, but it reduces the impact of transmission signficantly. Closing schools hurts a shitload of people, but it reduces the impact of transmission significantly. How significantly does it have to reduce transmission for those other harms to be worthwhile? That isn't self-evident.

Personally, I think if they believe closing schools could reduce the R rate by as much as 0.5, they should close schools. The problem is, they've said themselves they have low confidence in that assessment, and have outlined the fundamental issue which is they don't know how infectious kids are. For whatever reason you keep skipping past that main point, you choose to believe these scientific advisers about one thing, but not the other. I choose to believe them about all of these things, while recognising the level of uncertainty that comes with their assessments that they themselves state over and over again.

Irrespective of my opinion, I don't think people are stupid for thinking that schools should stay open even if it did reduce the R rate by 0.5. It's a very complicated problem. The evidence you provided outlines the harm it will do, and they have high confidence in that assessment.

Secondly, the claim the epidemiologist made is completely consistent with the other scientific evidence provided. First he specifies secondary schools, not primary schools, and second he points out the need for some restrictions. No-one is saying that if you have secondary schools completely open with no measures that it will have no impact on transmission. Every country has applied some measures because they (and the scientific community) agree that it does relatively little harm to apply these measures, while it does have an impact on transmission.

If he tightened that definition of "secondary schools" to "people 16+" then his argument would be right there in the middle of the scientific consensus, which is very different from what you, @Garethw, @golden_blunder or others have stated. They were talking about young kids specifically, you were talking about young kids inclusively. That epidemiologist is not, because he's looked at the evidence.

So let's be clear about the position stated. The evidence strongly suggests that primary schools are not hotspots for the virus, but leaving them open will have a small impact on transmission. The evidence is less clear on young teenagers, but they do get infected more often, so they are likely to spread it more often. The evidence is clearer on older teenagers, who get infected much more often than young kids, and they have led the surge in cases along with university age students.

Overall, closing schools would reduce the transmission rate. It probably wouldn't reduce the transmission rate enough for it to be worthwhile closing primary schools. It might not reduce the transmission rate enough among kids 10-15, and there is an open question about whether they're getting it in schools or bringing it into schools, and how much they pass it among each other. It definitely would reduce the transmission rate enough for it to be worthwhile closing school for 16-18 year olds, and even more so for uni students. But they're political decisions.

My argument to you or others has never been that we shouldn't close schools. I don't think closing schools is the catastrophe others do, and if it's a trade-off between this and many other restrictions, then the economic harm done to low-income parents in this jobs that are disproprortionately effected by restrictions might well do more harm to their kids than closing the schools. If they don't have food to eat they don't learn. So at the very least I think cloing schools should be on the table. But it isn't a silver bullet, nor an explanation for us being where we are now.

What I've been arguing against is your explanation for why we should close schools. The notion that it's obvious young kids going back to school is the driver of this trend...it's not obvious, and if you test that theory in a number of contexts, a number of flaws pop up. We shouldn't be making these kinds of decisions or having these kinds of discussions on misrepresentation of the data, or dismissal of the best available evidence, just because anyone that doesn't think your way is an idiot. That's dangerous in many ways. So when you made arguments that said "the evidence says this" or "one epidemiologist says this, others say this, it's up to you who to believe", I thought it worth disputing those claims with actual evidence.

acnumber9

Yeah, it could be a cause of them having few or no symptoms making them less likely to fall into pillar 1 and pillar 2 testing. But if you accept the premise that they have fewer symptoms, then that's another reason why kids spread it less: asymptomatic people can spread it, but much less often. Symptoms don't play a role in the random sample swab study ran by the ONS, though. And it has consistently shown young kids are infected much less frequently than young adults, and that young kids have consistently tested positive less often than someone my age, even while the majority of us are not going into work every day while they go into school every day.

I'm not picking and choosing evidence nor epidemiologists. That's a weird case of projection. I used the evidence you provided on Northern Ireland, just like I used the evidence @F-Red provided from PHE, and in both cases I outlined the weaknesses in the data that could lead to the wrong conclusion while using that data to make a point. I've spent a lot of these discussions just assessing the evidence, never dismissing it. I have never said "well one expert says this and the other expert says this so really it's all about opinions, right?". I believe it's important to consider all of the evidence and evaluate it on its strengths and weaknesses, with the objective of better understanding the situation, while you use it as a tool to prove a point. So let's break down those two claims seperately.

Yes I think a reduction of 0.2 is significant for masks. I also think a reduction of 0.2 for schools is significant too. If you actually asked people what they thought rather than using them as a prop to tell other people why they're stupid, you might run into this confusion less often. As laid out in NI's documents, it's not just about the impact it has on reducing transmission, but also the economic, social and psychological impacts. This is their assessment of school closures:

Alternatively they assess the impact of closing classes when cases pop up - the method they're going back to now - as "low". They also assess the impact of wearing masks as "low", regardless of whether it's indoors or outdoors.

That's quite a big distinction to start with. Wearing masks hurts basically nobody, but it reduces the impact of transmission signficantly. Closing schools hurts a shitload of people, but it reduces the impact of transmission significantly. How significantly does it have to reduce transmission for those other harms to be worthwhile? That isn't self-evident.

Personally, I think if they believe closing schools could reduce the R rate by as much as 0.5, they should close schools. The problem is, they've said themselves they have low confidence in that assessment, and have outlined the fundamental issue which is they don't know how infectious kids are. For whatever reason you keep skipping past that main point, you choose to believe these scientific advisers about one thing, but not the other. I choose to believe them about all of these things, while recognising the level of uncertainty that comes with their assessments that they themselves state over and over again.

Irrespective of my opinion, I don't think people are stupid for thinking that schools should stay open even if it did reduce the R rate by 0.5. It's a very complicated problem. The evidence you provided outlines the harm it will do, and they have high confidence in that assessment.

Secondly, the claim the epidemiologist made is completely consistent with the other scientific evidence provided. First he specifies secondary schools, not primary schools, and second he points out the need for some restrictions. No-one is saying that if you have secondary schools completely open with no measures that it will have no impact on transmission. Every country has applied some measures because they (and the scientific community) agree that it does relatively little harm to apply these measures, while it does have an impact on transmission.

If he tightened that definition of "secondary schools" to "people 16+" then his argument would be right there in the middle of the scientific consensus, which is very different from what you, @Garethw, @golden_blunder or others have stated. They were talking about young kids specifically, you were talking about young kids inclusively. That epidemiologist is not, because he's looked at the evidence.

So let's be clear about the position stated. The evidence strongly suggests that primary schools are not hotspots for the virus, but leaving them open will have a small impact on transmission. The evidence is less clear on young teenagers, but they do get infected more often, so they are likely to spread it more often. The evidence is clearer on older teenagers, who get infected much more often than young kids, and they have led the surge in cases along with university age students.

Overall, closing schools would reduce the transmission rate. It probably wouldn't reduce the transmission rate enough for it to be worthwhile closing primary schools. It might not reduce the transmission rate enough among kids 10-15, and there is an open question about whether they're getting it in schools or bringing it into schools, and how much they pass it among each other. It definitely would reduce the transmission rate enough for it to be worthwhile closing school for 16-18 year olds, and even more so for uni students. But they're political decisions.

My argument to you or others has never been that we shouldn't close schools. I don't think closing schools is the catastrophe others do, and if it's a trade-off between this and many other restrictions, then the economic harm done to low-income parents in this jobs that are disproprortionately effected by restrictions might well do more harm to their kids than closing the schools. If they don't have food to eat they don't learn. So at the very least I think cloing schools should be on the table. But it isn't a silver bullet, nor an explanation for us being where we are now.

What I've been arguing against is your explanation for why we should close schools. The notion that it's obvious young kids going back to school is the driver of this trend...it's not obvious, and if you test that theory in a number of contexts, a number of flaws pop up. We shouldn't be making these kinds of decisions or having these kinds of discussions on misrepresentation of the data, or dismissal of the best available evidence, just because anyone that doesn't think your way is an idiot. That's dangerous in many ways. So when you made arguments that said "the evidence says this" or "one epidemiologist says this, others say this, it's up to you who to believe", I thought it worth disputing those claims with actual evidence.
Once again I’m lost in a sea of words. Being concise is still a virtue. We disagree. You’re still claiming you’re providing actual evidence when you aren’t. You’re providing different theories and incorrect numbers. There’s nothing more for me to say.

I choose not to believe them on some things like school closures because they’ve already lied to us about face masks when it suited the political agenda and the case numbers staring us right in the face. The only way to test is to close schools and see what happens. Or at least consider staggering attendance.

Brwned

Once again I’m lost in a sea of words. Being concise is still a virtue. We disagree. You’re still claiming you’re providing actual evidence when you aren’t. You’re providing different theories and incorrect numbers. There’s nothing more for me to say.

I choose not to believe them on some things like school closures because they’ve already lied to us about face masks when it suited the political agenda and the case numbers staring us right in the face. The only way to test is to close schools and see what happens. Or at least consider staggering attendance.
Or the opposite. Which we're doing. Keep schools open and bring things under control anyway, like Ireland now, or the other countries we've already discussed. England have already seen the rate fall by 0.2 in the last two weeks with less strict measures outside schools. They just need to see a continuation of that to see cases level off and eventually begin to fall.

acnumber9

Or the opposite. Which we're doing. Keep schools open and bring things under control anyway, like Ireland now, or the other countries we've already discussed. England have already seen the rate fall by 0.2 in the last two weeks with less strict measures outside schools. They just need to see a continuation of that to see cases level off and eventually begin to fall.
Like I said, I hope you’re right and it works. Unlike the local lockdowns.

Brwned

Like I said, I hope you’re right and it works. Unlike the local lockdowns.
Fair enough, we agree on that! And on the point about brevity. Never has been something I've got the hang of, despite my appreciation of it. But when I use fewer words you read into what I've said and accuse me of things I've never even thought!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Police say they were attacked as they tried to break up an illegal rave at a warehouse near Bristol.

Officers who were called to Yate at around 22:30 GMT on Saturday said up to 700 people were in attendance.
Some of the crowd began acting violently towards officers as they were told to leave, Avon and Somerset Police said.
The crowd was ordered to disperse and police said two people were in custody.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-54769055

What is wrong with people??

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN27H1BD

Government hitting the panic button fully and trying to speed up review data on the Oxford vaccine. Coupled with the apparent leaked plans to mass vaccinate Scotland in 6 weeks time, we know that this is headed towards a rushed approval. Wonder how they are going to increase confidence enough for significant uptake.
For once I don't think this is a sign of the government panicking or making it up as they go along, it just reflects how many people are now involved in the Astra trial and how long ago they were given the vaccine.

The trials by all the vaccine makers are (to put it crudely) just waiting for enough of the trial participants to catch covid. Once they've got enough covid cases they can compare the placebo group to the vaccine group and decide if there's anything statistically significant going on. In the ideal world the only ones who catch covid will have taken the placebo. More likely though is we hear news that "fewer" people catch it or that the ones who catch it are less ill if they took the vaccine.

Normally the regulators wait until the companies are ready to present their final trial report - this time they're going to start looking at the data in parallel with Astra's own researchers. In principle at least that will potentially speed the approval process, because if it comes down to "need more covid cases" to confirm the statistics they can give approval for adding more people to the trial. They can even give permission for the placebo group to get the vaccine if the numbers are obvious, and give permission for adopting the idea that the comparison group is another chunk of the general population rather than those given a placebo.

The European Medical Agency had already decided on that approach a few weeks back.
European Medicines Agency have started a rolling review of astrazenca's covid19 vaccine in order to quicken the process
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-starts-first-rolling-review-covid-19-vaccine-eu

Utdstar01

Back to having nothing to look forward to in free time again for another 2 months or so then potentially. What an absolute shit situation this is. Done with it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Back to having nothing to look forward to in free time again for another 2 months or so then potentially. What an absolute shit situation this is. Done with it.
Is not getting through this difficult time with you and your family being safe enough to look forward to?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
My test and trace has updated and told me to isolate for 9 days. I've told my boss and they either think I'm lying or I've been coming to work for the past 5 days knowingly.

Any idea why it's told me to isolate for 9 days and not 14?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If over a million people have tested positive Covid-19 in UK, what's the best estimate for the overall number who have caught it?

I know we aren't going to be anywhere near herd immunity levels yet, but if we have a bad Winter it might get up to that.
Herd immunity may well require in excess of 50 million people to be infected or vaccinated.

arnie_ni

My test and trace has updated and told me to isolate for 9 days. I've told my boss and they either think I'm lying or I've been coming to work for the past 5 days knowingly.

Just send him a pic of it?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Have you had a positive test? If so the app would normally be saying 10 days from the test.

If it's following a positive test on someone else then it's a bit different - but again it's based on their test date etc, but it's 14 days from their test or your last contact with them.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

They’ve probably pushed an update, increased the threshold and its triggered an alert which should have happened 5 days ago. Alternatively, someone might have been a bit slow in uploading their positive test and it starts from the day of their positive result rather than the day it was uploaded.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just send him a pic of it?
Did that.
Have you had a positive test? If so the app would normally be saying 10 days from the test.

If it's following a positive test on someone else then it's a bit different - but again it's based on their test date etc, but it's 14 days from their test or your last contact with them.
I've asked around and it's 14 days from my exposure with them.
They’ve probably pushed an update, increased the threshold and its triggered an alert which should have happened 5 days ago. Alternatively, someone might have been a bit slow in uploading their positive test and it starts from the day of their positive result rather than the day it was uploaded.
I think it's the 2nd part.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yep. That would make sense

Two of the teenagers in my family got a notification saying a classmate has the virus and that they were to quarantine for 14 days. Next call changed it to 8, because while the test result had been given to the school on the day it arrived the test had been done 5 days earlier. It then reduced again because the kid in question has been off school for two days before they got a test. Which made their (immuno compromised) mum's effort to isolate them in their rooms a bit pointless as the kids had been exposed a week or more earlier.

Did that.

I think it's the 2nd part.
It's 14 days from the point your phone was in contact with theirs - so you saw this person 5 days ago. It doesn't matter as much when they tested positive as there is a window before a positive test where they could be infectious - each country has it's own idea on how long that window is. I think it's 48 hours from symptoms starting for the UK.

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01144/en-us

I assume this link will keep your boss/HR happy - https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note/

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I live on my own mate.
Yeah that's a tough one. I don't envy those living on their own in these times, I've been lucky to have my partner throughout it. I've struggled with loneliness before when I was in South Korea and it can be really difficult to deal with mentally.
When I was struggling the most a friend of mine who had been in a similar situation pointed me towards meditation. I know it might sound a bit silly and everything (I'm not someone who meditates) but it helped me for a while there. A place to start could be the Headspace app.

Other things to do if you're just stuck at home: Get a daily workout routine (it doesn't need to be hours on end, half an hour or so is fine, there's apps that can help you here as well), pick up a hobby you've been thinking of getting into (cooking or baking are good ones seeing as you'll still need to eat and it feels meaningful), binge TV without a shred of guilt, read all the books you never got around to, gaming if that's your thing. Finally something that's a bit different but I think might be helpful for some: Listen to the Blindboy Podcast. I'm a weekly listener, so I know what to expect, but some of his stuff on mental health has shed a light on some rather unhelpful thought patterns I've had in the past (I picked it up after my lonely time in South Korea). The official United podcast has some good episodes as well.

Drifter

American
Covid-19 deaths could be twice as high over the winter as they were in the first wave of the pandemic, PM Boris Johnson is expected to warn MPs later.

So what did they learn in the first wave?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's 14 days from the point your phone was in contact with theirs - so you saw this person 5 days ago. It doesn't matter as much when they tested positive as there is a window before a positive test where they could be infectious - each country has it's own idea on how long that window is. I think it's 48 hours from symptoms starting for the UK.

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01144/en-us

I assume this link will keep your boss/HR happy - https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note/
Thanks!

Smores

Covid-19 deaths could be twice as high over the winter as they were in the first wave of the pandemic, PM Boris Johnson is expected to warn MPs later.

So what did they learn in the first wave?
That if you get people to clap it'll distract from giving contracts to your mates?

That's if we don't take action presumably? I still think it'll be lower as long as the country aren't a shower of cnuts and ignore the restrictions.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Welsh FM has confirmed that we will come out of our “fire break” lockdown as planned a week today. Non essential shops, pubs and restaurants back open. Indoor activities allowed with up to 15 people (small “parties“, Xmas get togethers etc) and 30 outdoors - not much use at this time of year. Glad we acted earlier now.

StuCol

Chimp

They tell you to isolate from the date of the contact, once they’ve established contact by speaking with the person with a positive test. Or if it’s a person you have regular contact with, the date that they said their symptoms started. So if they got a positive test result today, but their symptoms started 5 days ago, you would have 9 days left to isolate

Brwned

Welsh FM has confirmed that we will come out of our “fire break” lockdown as planned a week today. Non essential shops, pubs and restaurants back open. Indoor activities allowed with up to 15 people (small “parties“, Xmas get togethers etc) and 30 outdoors - not much use at this time of year. Glad we acted earlier now.
Goes some way to exposing the fallacy of lockdown = destroy the economy, no lockdown = save the economy, don't you think? If the inevitable spread of the virus means we'll have to put in severe measures to prevent hospital overload, putting in severe measures when things aren't so bad isn't needlessly destroying the economy but protecting it from the worst. Likewise for mental health issues and most of the secondary effects.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I believe we’re out of local lockdown now too, is that right?

Hal9000

Mine did the same, albeit 10 days. I believe it goes on the date you last potentially had exposure. Obviously in that time, they've had a test, got a result, contacted the tracers, who then contact you...