SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Verminator

Not following you around threads agreeing with you but I agree :lol:
And I’m completely staggered by the theories going around that schools and colleges aren’t having a large effect. These studies and graphs that claim to show it hasn’t I can only dismiss as complete garbage.

It is so far beyond reason, common sense, logic and evidence that schools/colleges haven’t caused a major upturn in cases. I actually think it was right for them to open and to remain open but honestly claims it’s not had a big effect is just.. I dunno wow.

I was actually in a college a few weeks back and was alarmed by how little the teens were keeping distance. They were huddled in numerous groups, bunches of half a dozen to a dozen, shouting over each other at basically face level.
Teens mostly live at home with other family members. We also know they are less attentive to cleanliness. Pretty much 95% of the people I’ve seen not wearing masks have been people below 16.

Schools/colleges open and LITERALLY six weeks later cases are surging and we’re heading into lockdown, bars/restaurants opened in fecking July but somehow despite all this the schools are apparently not the main cause. As in what? Seriously what? When did so many people abandon reason for madness?

I got a D in my GCSE Science but I would happily discredit with 100% certainty any article/study that tries to say schools and colleges weren’t a main cause of an upsurge in cases.
Can't share the image, but from PHE pie chart, the following "Sites of multiple outbreaks for the last 4 weeks";

Hospitality 4%
Hospitals 4%
Workplace 20%
Care homes 26%
Education 36%
Other 10%

clarkydaz

One thing that strikes me about this is does the mean that wearing masks had little affect? The vast majority have been wearing them here, but did they do any good?
If its a freezing cold day your house is still cold indoors. Moreso if you keep the windows open

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not following you around threads agreeing with you but I agree :lol:
And I’m completely staggered by the theories going around that schools and colleges aren’t having a large effect. These studies and graphs that claim to show it hasn’t I can only dismiss as complete garbage.

It is so far beyond reason, common sense, logic and evidence that schools/colleges haven’t caused a major upturn in cases. I actually think it was right for them to open and to remain open but honestly claims it’s not had a big effect is just.. I dunno wow.

I was actually in a college a few weeks back and was alarmed by how little the teens were keeping distance. They were huddled in numerous groups, bunches of half a dozen to a dozen, shouting over each other at basically face level.
Teens mostly live at home with other family members. We also know they are less attentive to cleanliness. Pretty much 95% of the people I’ve seen not wearing masks have been people below 16.

Schools/colleges open and LITERALLY six weeks later cases are surging and we’re heading into lockdown, bars/restaurants opened in fecking July but somehow despite all this the schools are apparently not the main cause. As in what? Seriously what? When did so many people abandon reason for madness?

I got a D in my GCSE Science but I would happily discredit with 100% certainty any article/study that tries to say schools and colleges weren’t a main cause of an upsurge in cases.
Yes I would agree that kids keep their distance less, moderate their voices less, pay less attention to cleanliness and generally speaking are less likely to adhere to rules. Generally speaking, kids also spread lots of viruses, including coronaviruses like the common cold. Common sense would then lead you to believe that kids are spreading it like wildfire. Most people agree up until that point.

However many things exist in the world that are counter-intuitive. Is it possible that all of those things are true, and yet at the same time, kids aren't spreading this virus as much? Yes. Why should we think that kids and adults "magically" respond to the virus differently? Well let's agree on a baseline reality.

Kids are much less likely to be hospitalised or die from covid. We all now accept that at truth, so we accept that in some fundamental ways, the virus impacts different age groups differently. How do we know this? In the UK 4 kids aged 1-14 have died from covid, compared to 5,188 aged 45-64. In the US the hospitalisation rate for kids aged 5-17 is 5x lower than those aged 18-29.

Those are just the facts, they're not misleading charts or faulty theories. Most of us now consider that intuitive knowledge, of course kids don't get infected by it badly. But kids get infected badly by a lot of things, in fact "medically vulnerable" tends to mean very young and very old for most diseases. For example the very young are more vulnerable to flu than you or I. But the very young aren't very vulnerable to this.

Do we know exactly why that is? Not really, but it might involve things like ACE2 receptors. Do you know anything about ACE2 receptors? No, neither do I. But if it is true that a) ACE2 receptors are where the virus latches on to us, and b) children have fewer of them, then the intuitive assumption is that kids are less likely to get the virus. And so by default, they are less likely to spread it among themselves.

We know roughly how many kids pick up the virus from ONS' study. Young kids pick it up less often than young teenagers, and young teenagers pick it up less often than young adults. Why is that? We don't expect it's because young kids shout less, distance more or wash their hands more often, so you can likely rule out a behavioural explanation. For the most part, they're in equal social settings also. The common sense explanation them comes back to the biology of it.

That doesn't change the fact that young kids do still pick it up, and sending them to school increases the likelihood they will pick it up vs. making them stay at home like the older age groups. We know that reducing social contacts has the biggest impact on controlling the spread. If we closed schools we would reduce the spread further. The question is not whether it would have an impact but how big an impact it would have, and how that weighs up against the negative impacts. And to answer that we need to know how infectious kids are, particularly among themselves.

If you take Northern Ireland's logic for closing schools, they said
  • Not clear the role that children play in transmission
  • Unclear how much schools may contribute to community transmission
  • Remains unclear how infectious children may be.
Why would they say that? Are they unable to identify obvious patterns? No, that's their job. Are they just trying to justify their own political position? No, they closed down schools anyway. What are you left with as an explanation? It's just some grand conspiracy?

Can't share the image, but from PHE pie chart, the following "Sites of multiple outbreaks for the last 4 weeks";

Hospitality 4%
Hospitals 4%
Workplace 20%
Care homes 26%
Education 36%
Other 10%
Worth looking into the detail there. The report here shows that among those aged 0-4 and 5-9, case rates were steady or falling in the last weeks of September, and they had the lowest infection rate of any age group. If they were the source of the spread, they would be outpacing everyone else. That's what you see among those aged 20-29, and to a lesser degree, 10-19. There is a big distinction between young kids and young adults that you can't account for precisely with that data, but that is straightforward to infer.

In spite of that, they can attribute most known clusters to education, followed by workplaces and care homes. Those places are the easiest to find known clusters because they report them to a much, much higher degree than hospitality. But if you were to add up all of the known clusters across any area they have, you would see they only account for a minority of all clusters in that period. 782 incidents were identified in a week when 29,797 cases were identified, i.e. they really struggle to identify the vast majority of clusters.

So from the PHE data we can say conclusively that we don't know where the majority of clusters come from. All we know is that for that very small proportion of clusters they can identify, more of them come from the places that are required to report them and find it easier to report them. The majority are completely unknowable based on that methodology and efficiacy.

Brwned

I reckon we're going to have to start thinking about the care home problem differently quite soon. Numbers vary on the typical length of time spent in a care home, but for most people it's a few years. Taking 3 months out of those 30 months to isolate with the belief that there's something at the other end is one thing, but taking 12 months out of their 30 months there is a very different equation.

They're facing the most extreme form of isolation in a setting many of them found barely tolerable in the first place, and many of them have illnesses that are particularly compounded by not seeing people they know. People that are struggling to maintain a grasp on reality find themselves losing that anchor of normality and all of a sudden they're in a place they don't recognise, with people they don't know, at a time they can't understand, and everything becomes terrifying. Some studies are reporting that 3 in 4 don't even leave their room now, while there's anecdotal cases of people going mute, people starving themselves and more. These things already happen before contact with the outside world was cut-off, but we know they are directly impected by social contact and physical exercise which are being deliberately restricted. If anyone has experienced those issues developing in a family member, the idea that we're multiplying that scenario by an unknown number will be gut-wrenching.

The obvious problem being that, unlike with children and schools, there's no debate about whether they act as hotbeds for the virus. Even with these restrictions in place we still have examples of entire care homes being infected or 16 people dying from 69 infections in a matter of weeks. We know if it gets into somewhere it can spread a lot, and if it spreads a lot it can kill a lot. The restrictions now aren't preventing it but we have good reason to believe we're limiting it. And obviously preventing deaths is a good thing, on the whole.

But on some level I think it's cruel to force care home patients to live the majority of their last days in their alone, depressed and without any say in the matter. Couldn't you have some care homes where people choose to take more risks, and they all live in that dystopian bubble? Otherwise we're forcing them to live through unimaginable pain. If I could, I wouldn't agree to that condition, and I imagine many of us can point to an elderly family member that would stay the same. We often do things in older age that increase our quality of life even to the detriment of our health. In any case, that condition was agreed - without their consent - when the time period was much, much shorter. At the very least isn't it worth asking the question again?

pacifictheme

Hospitality 4%
Hospitals 4%
Workplace 20%
Care homes 26%
Education 36%
Other 10%
The thing is its easy to trace to a school, because attendance is compulsory and every child is accounted for. But for stuff like pubs, restaurants, shops, there is very little anyone can do to effectively trace outbreaks or infections. Loads of people don't have the app and it relies on someone calling every place they were at after a positive test, and then that place calling everyone else who went there.

Hospitality 4%
Hospitals 4%
Workplace 20%
Care homes 26%
Education 36%
Other 10%
Can you share the link for it?

Coxy

One thing that strikes me about this is does the mean that wearing masks had little affect? The vast majority have been wearing them here, but did they do any good?
Do people wear masks at pubs / schools / uni’s?

I’m sure they do work - or at least slow the spread.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I reckon we're going to have to start thinking about the care home problem differently quite soon. Numbers vary on the typical length of time spent in a care home, but for most people it's a few years. Taking 3 months out of those 30 months to isolate with the belief that there's something at the other end is one thing, but taking 12 months out of their 30 months there is a very different equation.

They're facing the most extreme form of isolation in a setting many of them found barely tolerable in the first place, and many of them have illnesses that are particularly compounded by not seeing people they know. People that are struggling to maintain a grasp on reality find themselves losing that anchor of normality and all of a sudden they're in a place they don't recognise, with people they don't know, at a time they can't understand, and everything becomes terrifying. Some studies are reporting that 3 in 4 don't even leave their room now, while there's anecdotal cases of people going mute, people starving themselves and more. These things already happen before contact with the outside world was cut-off, but we know they are directly impected by social contact and physical exercise which are being deliberately restricted. If anyone has experienced those issues developing in a family member, the idea that we're multiplying that scenario by an unknown number will be gut-wrenching.

The obvious problem being that, unlike with children and schools, there's no debate about whether they act as hotbeds for the virus. Even with these restrictions in place we still have examples of entire care homes being infected or 16 people dying from 69 infections in a matter of weeks. We know if it gets into somewhere it can spread a lot, and if it spreads a lot it can kill a lot. The restrictions now aren't preventing it but we have good reason to believe we're limiting it. And obviously preventing deaths is a good thing, on the whole.

But on some level I think it's cruel to force care home patients to live the majority of their last days in their alone, depressed and without any say in the matter. Couldn't you have some care homes where people choose to take more risks, and they all live in that dystopian bubble? Otherwise we're forcing them to live through unimaginable pain. If I could, I wouldn't agree to that condition, and I imagine many of us can point to an elderly family member that would stay the same. We often do things in older age that increase our quality of life even to the detriment of our health. In any case, that condition was agreed - without their consent - when the time period was much, much shorter. At the very least isn't it worth asking the question again?
Funnily enough, I've just read an article on the BBC where the wife of a man with dementia wants people like herself to be designated as key workers. I've worked in care homes with residents who have advanced dementia, and there were quite a few spouses of those people who came every single day and basically did everything for them.

One in particular always stays in my memory - his wife was an absolutely wonderful lady in her 80s, he was still physically mobile although he couldn't speak in any meaningful way and had no sense of self. She was devoted to him, and said there was no joy in being at home where there was nothing to do without him there. He responded to her, he was happy and settled when she was there.

It's also the case that in many cases wives and husbands have cared for these folk at home for many years before they had to make the decision to move them into a care home. It's more than cruel to say "You can't even see your partner of 50 years now, let alone care for them".

I know this is anecdotal, but when we were back in the UK in September I walked past a care home and there was an old man standing outside with his old dog, with his wife looking at him from the other side of the window. It was a cold, rainy day. Half an hour later I walked past again, and he was still there. It was heartbreaking, really. It upset me to see it.

Brwned

Do people wear masks at pubs / schools / uni’s?

I’m sure they do work - or at least slow the spread.
The scientific advice for the NI circuit breaker was that extending face mask use to outdoor areas would have a very low impact, making it required in more indoor areas like schools of offices would have a low to moderate impact, and the same for the current measures in retail and hospitality. They all stack on top of each other and using their rough guidelines, it could reduce the R rate by 0.4. As it is, just requiring it in shops could reduce it by 0.2. So when the rate rate is 1.4 now, it would have been 1.6 then. That sounds small but it is a significant reduction in the speed of transmission. But all of these estimates on the R rate are very loose, we can say for certain masks reduce it by more than 0, but beyond that its educated guesses based on loose evidence.

Along with that, this makes assumptions about adherence and about proper use. We know people using masks improperly can increase their risk of catching the virus themselves, but om balance still decreases the risk if passing it on. We also know that people's reported mask usage dropped dramatically in over the summer and into September, and has consistently been worse than most countries in a similarly dangerous position.

But the main point like you say is that it only reduces community transmission, it doesn't prevent it. All of these measures and behaviours stack on top of each other and make an incremental difference. There is no single explanation for any rise or any decline.

Funnily enough, I've just read an article on the BBC where the wife of a man with dementia wants people like herself to be designated as key workers. I've worked in care homes with residents who have advanced dementia, and there were quite a few spouses of those people who came every single day and basically did everything for them.

One in particular always stays in my memory - his wife was an absolutely wonderful lady in her 80s, he was still physically mobile although he couldn't speak in any meaningful way and had no sense of self. She was devoted to him, and said there was no joy in being at home where there was nothing to do without him there. He responded to her, he was happy and settled when she was there.

It's also the case that in many cases wives and husbands have cared for these folk at home for many years before they had to make the decision to move them into a care home. It's more than cruel to say "You can't even see your partner of 50 years now, let alone care for them".

I know this is anecdotal, but when we were back in the UK in September I walked past a care home and there was an old man standing outside with his old dog, with his wife looking at him from the other side of the window. It was a cold, rainy day. Half an hour later I walked past again, and he was still there. It was heartbreaking, really. It upset me to see it.
Yeah making them a key worker could be a good simple solution! Certainly the work they do is harder than some others classified as key workers, and as their work relates to the worst hit segment of the population, it should be deemed especially important too. But we don't place that much value on older generations in our society, at the moment. I'm sure that'll change sometime when we realise most people are "old" people in the most developed countries, and that's only increasing.

It is really tragic.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I work in a care home and it's been extremely difficult for a lot of the residents. So many people with dementia only recognise close family like spouses or children and I'm sure are wondering why they have been abandoned. We do our best to occupy their time and entertain them but it can be very challenging at times. We have gone into complete lockdown these past few weeks, as we were in tier 3, and we have even stopped window visits due to some relatives passing things through to their loved ones or holding their hands.

I work on the residential dementia floor and our one glimmer of hope is that we had an outbreak in June and, as a result, half the residents and staff have had it. It was absolutely horrendous trying to care for a dozen people with dementia who were confined to their rooms and barrier nursed in the first wave. I really don't want to go through that again. The good news is that our infection control measures stopped it spreading to the other floors but once it gets among a population it is unbelievably infectious.

It's going to be a long, hard winter.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

It is very hard to see. My mother in law cared for her husband who had a stroke for 8 years before he went into a home a few years back. He can’t walk or talk but responds to her and she used to always be at the home practically doing everything the nurses would do anyway. She hasn’t be able to be with him since March and hasn’t even been able to see him through the window since May. All the care staff are amazing, they’re real superstars.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This lockdown won’t end on the 2nd of December. 4 weeks will become 8 weeks. Forget about seeing any family outside your household this Christmas.
We'll 100% be released for Christmas.

Politics says it will happen

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I agree with all that you wrote, but, for the majority of us, the decision was taken against our consent and the nature of this thing is such that you are not free to make a decision yourself as you can infect others. Yes, you can bring up the numbers that the public generally wants lockdowns, but this depends on where you live. Where I live, the public is absolutely against lockdowns.

Same for care homes, unless you have a home where absolutely all the residents and their families and the employees and their families agree to take more risks, you cannot do it.

What I am trying to say, I guess, is that they are victims of what is a thoroughly shit situation but I do not think anything can be done-

Brwned

I agree with all that you wrote, but, for the majority of us, the decision was taken against our consent and the nature of this thing is such that you are not free to make a decision yourself as you can infect others. Yes, you can bring up the numbers that the public generally wants lockdowns, but this depends on where you live. Where I live, the public is absolutely against lockdowns.

Same for care homes, unless you have a home where absolutely all the residents and their families and the employees and their families agree to take more risks, you cannot do it.

What I am trying to say, I guess, is that they are victims of what is a thoroughly shit situation but I do not think anything can be done-
Oh yeah agreed on that. That's why I suggested a kind of bubble thing as a loose but indicative example. If 50% of people in care homes wanted more freedom, and 50% wanted to stay locked down because no amount of freedom would make them increase their risk of death, then I think the reasonable position would be to just lock everything down. It's a difficult moral and ethical question to wrestle with but I imagine most would say people's desire not to die bevause of other's choices is more important than their desire to be free. I'm sure that principle is built into many of our laws.

But as they exist in these bubbles already, separate from society in almost all senses, it doesn't have the same problem as the wider societal one. We can't put society into bubbles, it's practically impossible, but it is practically possible to do it in care homes at a regional level. People who vote for freedom can move to this other bubble where fewer precautions are taken and more deaths take place, and that's just the terms they agree to. The others stay in the same bubble they exist in already. It's not easy but unlike society at large I don't think it's impossible.

The big roadblock would be the fact many people in care homes have mental difficulties, so getting them to vote would be either impossible or morally dubious, as would the alternative of letting their legal guardian vote. And the wider moral questions. I'm not suggesting it as a solution itself, just as a different way to think about the problem. Because the problem is now different and the moral questions are different too.

Dan_F

I don’t know what the solution is in care homes, it’s quite scary to read the story above of relatives ignoring the screens. I’ve only seen my Nan twice this year (I live about five hours away), but there’s no way I’d have risked giving her a hug - let alone if she’d have lived in a care home and risked infecting others.

My grandad passed away in his sleep in April (non Covid related) and looking back now, although it was shit at the time, I’m really glad he didn’t go into a care home or end up on a ventilator.

Brwned

@acnumber9 I think this is the best explanation for why there has been a rise, from someone who understands epidemiology in a way we never could. There's a tendency to look for a particular pattern at a particular place at a particular moment in time that explains why something has happened. But the trends are more general and the timing and locations are more random than we want to believe. Randomness in this situation is unfair and unsettling so we look to identify order in situations where there really isn't much.

This week, the United States reached its worst week for virus cases, with more than 500,000 new cases reported in the past week, and at least 90,000 new cases reported on Thursday. The country also crossed the threshold of nine million infections since the pandemic started. The virus still has the potential to infect millions more, since the country has not neared herd immunity, Dr. Osterholm said. “The virus is going to keep coming back,” he said.

The combination of pandemic fatigue, more indoor transmission of the virus during the winter months, and the reopening of businesses and activities, such as sports, could mean that states that aren’t seeing an increase in infections may see one soon. “I don’t see any location in the United States that’s going to be free of a major increase in cases,” he said. “And I think we’re just getting started.”

When high case counts emerge in communities, the spillover to surrounding populations is rapid, Dr. Osterholm said. The situation, he noted, can be likened to a “coronavirus forest fire.”

“A forest fire never burns evenly everywhere,” he said. “But if the embers are still around, they ignite again and then that area does burn eventually. And I think that that’s what we’re seeing here.”

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I work in a care home and it's been extremely difficult for a lot of the residents. So many people with dementia only recognise close family like spouses or children and I'm sure are wondering why they have been abandoned. We do our best to occupy their time and entertain them but it can be very challenging at times. We have gone into complete lockdown these past few weeks, as we were in tier 3, and we have even stopped window visits due to some relatives passing things through to their loved ones or holding their hands.

I work on the residential dementia floor and our one glimmer of hope is that we had an outbreak in June and, as a result, half the residents and staff have had it. It was absolutely horrendous trying to care for a dozen people with dementia who were confined to their rooms and barrier nursed in the first wave. I really don't want to go through that again. The good news is that our infection control measures stopped it spreading to the other floors but once it gets among a population it is unbelievably infectious.

It's going to be a long, hard winter.
Bless you for the good work you do, I know how hard it is. I can't imagine what it's like now, I haven't worked in care homes for over 10 years and it was challenging enough then in the dementia care homes.
It is very hard to see. My mother in law cared for her husband who had a stroke for 8 years before he went into a home a few years back. He can’t walk or talk but responds to her and she used to always be at the home practically doing everything the nurses would do anyway. She hasn’t be able to be with him since March and hasn’t even been able to see him through the window since May. All the care staff are amazing, they’re real superstars.
The really sad thing is that people in care homes generally don't have much of their lives left to live. To lose a year of contact with your loved ones because of Covid is terrible, but then, the alternative is even worse.

Dante

Average bang
If over a million people have tested positive Covid-19 in UK, what's the best estimate for the overall number who have caught it?

I know we aren't going to be anywhere near herd immunity levels yet, but if we have a bad Winter it might get up to that.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
If over a million people have tested positive Covid-19 in UK, what's the best estimate for the overall number who have caught it?

I know we aren't going to be anywhere near herd immunity levels yet, but if we have a bad Winter it might get up to that.
Your not going to get herd immunity in 1or 2 waves no matter how bad the winter is and if ye did the NHS would probably implode.

Traub

@acnumber9 I think this is the best explanation for why there has been a rise, from someone who understands epidemiology in a way we never could. There's a tendency to look for a particular pattern at a particular place at a particular moment in time that explains why something has happened. But the trends are more general and the timing and locations are more random than we want to believe. Randomness in this situation is unfair and unsettling so we look to identify order in situations where there really isn't much.
To be honest, it seems to all be guesswork. In my country (South Africa), nothing is making sense. We decided to ease lockdown restrictions when cases started rising, yet our case numbers have remained relatively level. Granted we don’t have the capacity to do lots of testing, but anecdotally the hospitals are much emptier. Maybe it has to do with summer, but I have a feeling the densely populated poorer areas were unable to stick to the strict lockdown requirements, resulting in an effective herd immunity for the majority of the population.

arnie_ni

Hospitality 4%
Hospitals 4%
Workplace 20%
Care homes 26%
Education 36%
Other 10%
So shutting schools and non essential work for say 4 (2 of which could have been half term so really only 2 weeks) could have cut outbreaks by 50 percent?

Dithering Johnson at it again

redshaw

Your not going to get herd immunity in 1or 2 waves no matter how bad the winter is and if ye did the NHS would probably implode.
Was estimated about 8% had it before, we could be 10% now and maybe 16% after a bad winter. 10% is only 6.7 million.

Brwned

To be honest, it seems to all be guesswork. In my country (South Africa), nothing is making sense. We decided to ease lockdown restrictions when cases started rising, yet our case numbers have remained relatively level. Granted we don’t have the capacity to do lots of testing, but anecdotally the hospitals are much emptier. Maybe it has to do with summer, but I have a feeling the densely populated poorer areas were unable to stick to the strict lockdown requirements, resulting in an effective herd immunity for the majority of the population.
Vitamin d levels, direct sun, more outdoorsy culture, different age profile, more exposure to similar pathogens from the past, variations in genealogy, definitely lots of things that can mediate the impact of the virus. But herd immunity could only have happened if at least 60% of the population got infected. There's over 5m people 65+ in south africa nearly 20m that are 45-64. Unless a million or more people have died from something we thought wasn't covid, it's hard to make that argument work.

There are lots of things we don't know and it's useful to recognise that, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything. We know it kills older people at a notably high rate, a rate that we couldn't possibly not notice.

The point Osterholm is making is that just because you only see embers now doesn't mean you've controlled the fire, it's just waiting on that one relatively random spark that lights at exactly the right time, and its neighbours are in a urine condition to spread it. The chances that there will be another spike in South Africa are very high, and when they do, it won't be all that helpful to find out what that one spark was. The problem is the number of embers ready to burst, and the combustible nature of the underlying components.

So shutting schools and non essential work for say 4 (2 of which could have been half term so really only 2 weeks) could have cut outbreaks by 50 percent?

Dithering Johnson at it again
No that is not how PHE want you to interpret their data.

Traub

Vitamin d levels, direct sun, more outdoorsy culture, different age profile, more exposure to similar pathogens from the past, variations in genealogy, definitely lots of things that can mediate the impact of the virus. But herd immunity could only have happened if at least 60% of the population got infected. There's over 5m people 65+ in south africa nearly 20m that are 45-64. Unless a million or more people have died from something we thought wasn't covid, it's hard to make that argument work.

There are lots of things we don't know and it's useful to recognise that, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything. We know it kills older people at a notably high rate, a rate that we couldn't possibly not notice.

The point Osterholm is making is that just because you only see embers now doesn't mean you've controlled the fire, it's just waiting on that one relatively random spark that lights at exactly the right time, and its neighbours are in a urine condition to spread it. The chances that there will be another spike in South Africa are very high, and when they do, it won't be all that helpful to find out what that one spark was. The problem is the number of embers ready to burst, and the combustible nature of the underlying components.

No that is not how PHE want you to interpret their data.
Yes all good points. Apparently there may have been a coronavirus that went around here several years ago too. Also, there is significant work done on TB (everyone has to be vaccinated). Unfortunately a second spike is likely, but people have been going out (with masks) and working as if it's all back to normal for a month or two with no significant change in case numbers.
We have a bigger issue than developed countries - when that second spike happens, we can't afford another hard lockdown. We will have more people dying from hunger than covid-19. I've also heard that 12% of countries (obviously the wealthy Western nations) have already purchased over 50% of the vaccines, so looks like dark days ahead for a lot of us.

Brwned

Definitely a different spin on the story than the one put out by the government earlier this week that they were lowering the threshold because of recent improvements in software capabilities that allow them to be more precise than even the original target

acnumber9

And as I said before. For every expert that says one thing, there’s one that says another.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....number-rise-if-secondary-schools-fully-reopen

Depends on what you want to believe. Meanwhile what we have our facts. And PHE shows that educational settings have had more outbreaks than anywhere else.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/923668/Weekly_COVID19_Surveillance_Report_week_40.pdf

Brwned

And as I said before. For every expert that says one thing, there’s one that says another.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....number-rise-if-secondary-schools-fully-reopen

Depends on what you want to believe. Meanwhile what we have our facts. And PHE shows that educational settings have had more outbreaks than anywhere else.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/923668/Weekly_COVID19_Surveillance_Report_week_40.pdf
Oh, good. We're back to trusting facts, and you've chosen a source to believe. Let's go with that one. In the document you've cited, young kids have fewer infections than any other age group. Yet they're the source of most of the outbreaks. Can you explain how they fit together? Alternatively, one of us is misrepresenting the evidence. The facts speak for themselves, supposedly, so it should be easy to explain.

acnumber9

Oh, good. We're back to trusting facts, and you've chosen a source to believe. Let's go with that one. In the document you've cited, young kids have fewer infections than any other age group. Yet they're the source of most of the outbreaks. Can you explain how they fit together? Alternatively, one of us is misrepresenting the evidence. The facts speak for themselves, supposedly, so it should be easy to explain.
As you’ve said yourself kids are impacted by the virus differently for reasons we don’t understand. They may be less likely to show symptoms and therefore less likely to be tested could they not? I’ve linked a epidemiologist who said opening secondary schools with no restrictions could cause increases, that goes with the case numbers.

I see you’re now citing the evidence used in our circuit breaker in Northern Ireland. You say that for face masks a 0.2 reduction in the R rate is significant. Yet for some reason are arguing against the fact that schools are a significant contributor despite it having a greater impact on the R rate from the exact same evidence. Not only are you picking and choosing which epidemiologists to believe, you’re choosing what parts of the same evidence to believe.

I don’t really want another day of back and forth on this. We just fundamentally disagree on the subject. Due to the fact that schools just aren’t going to close I hope for everybody’s sake that you are right.

Last edited:

Sara125

It’s beyond me why I’ve gone to Lidl and there’s long queues, people stockpiling etc. when BJ made it a point to say that essential supermarkets will NOT be closing

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s beyond me why I’ve gone to Lidl and there’s long queues, people stockpiling etc. when BJ made it a point to say that essential supermarkets will NOT be closing
you’re surprised? The past 5 years with Brexit, elections and Covid-19 has done more to teach me about how many fecking morons there are in the world than anything else ever will.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We'll 100% be released for Christmas.

Politics says it will happen
Think it will be similar to summer. 4 weeks are up and they'll slap another 2-3 weeks on as cases not coming down enough....e.g R level not below 1 and then miraculously will go back to tier 3 restrictions for the week around xmas (although pubs will surely remain shut). Then cases will go up and go back to lockdown/circuit breaker for first few weeks of January.

Would love to be wrong but can't see anything but that scenario playing out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was estimated about 8% had it before, we could be 10% now and maybe 16% after a bad winter. 10% is only 6.7 million.
I still believe it's much higher than that with all the cases missed.

Of course not quite a guarentee they'll even be immunity given the odd re-infection reported across the world.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I listened to a podcast where an epidemiologist did a rough estimate on what it would it take to reach herd immunity without a vaccine. They figured at least 5 or 6 waves.