SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Was it?

Imagine letting people freely spread the news about a deadly virus. People would panic and flee the affected areas, carrying the disease everywhere.
Exactly.
Whatever they do it is too late, the virus is already out there, in the wild, worldwide.

But WELDING people inside of buildings is never a solution ffs.

Also I actually believe those tencent figures to be closer to the truth sadly, I can't trust China to reveal the real figure.

Scary.
Is it in China's best interest to reveal the real figure? Whatever has to be done is already being done, revealing the real figures, if any, will only cause panic.

Vitro

Was it?

Imagine letting people freely spread the news about a deadly virus. People would panic and flee the affected areas, carrying the disease everywhere.
They did flee the area carrying the disease everywhere. As they did with SARS, under the same inept, autocratic government. Censoring news and information prevents citizens, foreign governments and medical workers from implementing strategies to prevent the spread of the virus. Hence 35,000 infections worldwide, if not more.

Vitro

Exactly.

Is it in China's best interest to reveal the real figure? Whatever has to be done is already being done, revealing the real figures, if any, will only cause panic.
Risk assessment and disease prevention is based on accurate, up to date epidemiological and pathophysiogical information. China not revealing the figure and being secretive in no way helps the people in charge in other countries develop strategies to combat the infection. Read up on SARS, they were universally condemned and blamed for the spread of the infection. These infections cannot be controlled by a single government entity and scientific openness, political diplomacy and worldwide cooperation are necessary. That’s how science works and is the reason China is fecking up, and will continue to do so. They were praised for their early sharing of data, as they should have been, and they will rightfully be condemned if they are then shown to have hidden vital information. If your priority is to face save then public health will always come second to the detriment of everyone. They are not doing this to prevent panic, but to prevent criticism.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
What? People are already dying. You have any way of stopping a virus spreading that doesn't involve a lockdown? What they're doing is what I would recommend done. Quarantine, seal, lock, control the spread. And no one better than a single minded autocratic entity to implement it.
And restricting what the rest of the world knows, preventing any possible action is fantastic right?

But yeah, feck the citizens. Who cares who dies as long as it's not us.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Risk assessment and disease prevention is based on accurate, up to date epidemiological and pathophysiogical information. China not revealing the figure and being secretive in no way helps the people in charge in other countries develop strategies to combat the infection. Read up on SARS, they were universally condemned and blamed for the spread of the infection. These infections cannot be controlled by a single government entity and scientific openness, political diplomacy and worldwide cooperation are necessary. That’s how science works and is the reason China is fecking up, and will continue to do so. They were praised for their early sharing of data, as they should have been, and they will rightfully be condemned if they are then shown to have hidden vital information. If your priority is to face save then public health will always come second to the detriment of everyone. They are not doing this to prevent panic, but to prevent criticism.
Have they hidden clinical data? Or have they just downplayed the numbers?
And restricting what the rest of the world knows, preventing any possible action is fantastic right?

But yeah, feck the citizens. Who cares who dies as long as it's not us.
I'm commenting about the people oohing and aahing about the padlocks. If thats whats needed to contain the spread, then thats what has to be done.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
That's just stage 1 right. Surely we've seen enough movies by now to know what stage 2 is?
It’s the bizarre nature of it. The virus is quite widespread now....I don’t see the purpose of welding specific doors shut. It all hints to something more sinister under the surface

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Have they hidden clinical data? Or have they just downplayed the numbers?

I'm commenting about the people oohing and aahing about the padlocks. If thats whats needed to contain the spread, then thats what has to be done.
You also aren't commenting on the restriction of information either.

Says everything about who you are if your instincts are to side with government who already have shoen they don't care about the likes of you.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Well said

C3Pique

So, the owner of my company came into my office after a month in Hong Kong last week, and around the same time, I came down with a cold and cough that I can't get rid of.

Am I going to die? :nervous:

Classical Mechanic

So, the owner of my company came into my office after a month in Hong Kong last week, and around the same time, I came down with a cold and cough that I can't get rid of.

Probably not, mortality rate is likely less than 1% and most dangerous for the very young/old or immunodeficient people.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’m interested to see how it affects China’s economy. I’m no expert on it, but China’s economic growth is slow at the moment, and enforced closures of businesses are sure to have a big effect? Seeing as expansive economic growth is key to the CCP, how do they balance containing the virus with stimulating the economy

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I’m interested to see how it affects China’s economy. I’m no expert on it, but China’s economic growth is slow at the moment, and enforced closures of businesses are sure to have a big effect? Seeing as expansive economic growth is key to the CCP, how do they balance containing the virus with stimulating the economy
I suspect china will report lower growth than anticipated.
How much faith people will have about the accuracy of those figures is anybody's guess.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's not just China's economy we need to be worried about.
Our own business in the UK are suffering.
The company I work for hasn't had stock from our Asian factories for nearly a month, what with the new year and now the extended break.

Marcelinho87

Declared a a serious and imminent threat to public health in the UK now.

Think this is so that it opens up more powers to fight it and not because the threat to the public is any different than it already was.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The Chinese governments lack of concern for its citizens might be exactly whats needed to nip this in the bud. I know everyone likes to hate on them for being autocrats, but I feel its brutality in trying to stamp out this virus is well placed.
Go away. Just lock people up like live stock and leave them to their own devices... imagine that happening to your own family, I doubt you'd be so supportive. :houllier:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Chinese governments lack of concern for its citizens might be exactly whats needed to nip this in the bud. I know everyone likes to hate on them for being autocrats, but I feel its brutality in trying to stamp out this virus is well placed.
This is not on.

Simbo

Ignoring the heartlessness of that sort of cold logic, China's apparent lockdown quarantine policy may prove counter-productive for a number of reasons. The was a mass exedus from Wuhan as soon as they heard a lockdown might be coming, people will now be doing everything they can to get out, it encourages people to hide symptoms, etc.

It appears this thing can be brought under control just by everybody washing their hands regularly and obeying basic cough/sneeze etiquate, its not all THAT infectious. Pack a few infected in with a few million uninfected though? hmm.

Smores

Think this is so that it opens up more powers to fight it and not because the threat to the public is any different than it already was.
By the sounds of it It's essentially so they can enforce quarantine and stop relying on voluntary self-isolation.

I don't think anyone would disagree with those kind of measures being used. The impact of a UK wide epidemic would be brutal to the NHS and wider economy.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Yes. Look on the bright side you won’t have to see klopps big smile on every tv channel when Liverpool get the PL trophy

According to the BBC they're doing it because one of the people in quarantine was threatening to walk out :mad:

This gives them powers to keep them there.

muller

Eesh. A member of staff in a GP's surgery.

If this were Family Fortune's and the round was

"Jobs that would be the best for spreading a virus, especially among the already sick and elderly"

We would have just got a very excitable Les Dennis..

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
So a billionare in China believes that there have been atleast 80,000 deaths - most of which are hidden from the public.

Hal9000

I'm guessing the GP in Brighton is probably where the guy who was diagnosed last week went to? He's probably kick started the spread in this country.

Got infected in singapore, spent some time in a chalet in France and infected a few people their, got on a plane and now member of staff at GP is infected.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm asking this even though I think I already know what the answer will be.

But when all this is said and done with the virus, will there be any sanctions against China?

I think no, but I'm not well informed on international relations when it comes to things like this.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Ignoring the heartlessness of that sort of cold logic, China's apparent lockdown quarantine policy may prove counter-productive for a number of reasons. The was a mass exedus from Wuhan as soon as they heard a lockdown might be coming, people will now be doing everything they can to get out, it encourages people to hide symptoms, etc.

It appears this thing can be brought under control just by everybody washing their hands regularly and obeying basic cough/sneeze etiquate, its not all THAT infectious. Pack a few infected in with a few million uninfected though? hmm.
Who's packing a few infected with a few million uninfected? They're packing the uninfected with the uninfected and the infected with infected. Basically isolating the virus.

muller

I have an appointment at Guys Hospital in London this week.. Same hospital the "Super Spreader" was taken to.

Well aware its massive and sanitised and he would have been isolated etc etc etc...

But I am now worried about going.. although i'm sure it will be fine.. (can people tell me i'm not being irrational, thanks)

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Hmm. Good point - but hiding knowledge of a strand of virus would be a lot easier than managing to hide 80,000 people actually dying..
Would you put it past them? If the rumours are to be believed, they wiped out the whistleblowers too. The entire country has been quarantined - not many people will be aware of whats going on around them.

I, myself, don't fully believe it but I wouldn't sweep these statements under the rug.