SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/news--wuhan-coronavirus/

Our analysis suggests that the 2019-nCoV outbreak has caused substantially more cases of moderate or severe respiratory illness in Wuhan than have currently been detected. However, recent rapid increases in officially reported confirmed case numbers in China suggest that case detection and reporting has been substantially enhanced in recent days. With further refinements and expansion of surveillance (for instance, to primary care providers) it is to be hoped that the differences between our estimates and official case numbers will lessen further. Given the increasing evidence for human-to-human transmission, enhancing rapid case detection will be essential if the outbreak is to be controlled.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I have a 98% chance of survival if i get it, right? I’d rather better odds but it could be worse?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I have a 98% chance of survival if i get it, right? I’d rather better odds but it could be worse?
Probably depends on your underlying health conditions, and what country you are in. If you are already healthy and in a country with a very good healthcare system it's probably far higher. If not, far lower.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I'm guessing the GP in Brighton is probably where the guy who was diagnosed last week went to? He's probably kick started the spread in this country.

Got infected in singapore, spent some time in a chalet in France and infected a few people their, got on a plane and now member of staff at GP is infected.
This article sets it all out - it seems he has unwittingly passed the infection round in different countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ronavirus-from-singapore-to-sussex-via-france

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If WW2 Germany can do it, modern day China can.
When did they hide 80,000 deaths?

Not to mention the complete difference in the two time frames.

While I think the Chinese government are appalling, I wonder if the people who write some of the more sensationalist things have ever been to the country?

One of my sons is dating a Chinese woman and I've been a few times now (just to visit and also to meet her family). The country and people's access to information is not at all what I had assumed before heading out there.

Of course, not saying they don't heavily censor (they do) or that they don't successfully change how their population thinks (then again, which country doesn't).

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If this was the general I would have lots of things to say about him. Alas, the CE is public.
Why? He had been to Singapore, over 2000 miles away from Wuhan, and not known to be a place at risk at that time. Tens of thousands of people will have travelled to Europe from the far east in the last few weeks, he was just unlucky.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
If this was the general I would have lots of things to say about him. Alas, the CE is public.
Why can't you say what you want here? It's only google rules that seperate the general, and they were mostly flesh in photos anyway, so what could you possibly have to say about this man going by that article?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Why? He had been to Singapore, over 2000 miles away from Wuhan, and not known to be a place at risk at that time. Tens of thousands of people will have travelled to Europe from the far east in the last few weeks, he was just unlucky.
Ignore me, I know little about the virus and I won't go any further about the guy here. I shouldn't have said it.

DOTA

Why can't you say what you want here? It's only google rules that seperate the general, and they were mostly flesh in photos anyway, so what could you possibly have to say about this man going by that article?

I'm genuinely intrigued.
He's my GP. It wasn't a critique of the situation I was hinting at, and it isn't appropriate, and I shouldn't have said it.

DOTA

The post I should have made is that I'm quite worried on a personal level because if this thing spreads to the care home two hundred yards from me that is in the same building as the other practice he and many of his colleagues split their time between, then I really would fear the worst for the vulnerable people there.

Wolverine

We will find out in due course what this thing is or at least have a much better understanding. My general feeling is that it is highly contagious, human-to-human primarily via respiratory droplets ala SARS. With that said, based on current projections its mortality rate is likely not that high as there are likely plenty of asymptomatic carriers or patients with mild forms of the disease who haven't had confirmatory lab diagnosis.

The deaths as mentioned likely due to comorbidities, multi-organ issues, superimposed bacterial infection or sepsis in addition to poor hospital infrastructure (lack of availability of ITU, second tier hospital wards, NIV equipment, lack of intubation/ventilator assistance with a low ceiling of care for the elderly). Therefore any extrapolations around this virus pertaining to impact in the "western" world simply does not have robust enough data to do so. Honestly though I was more worried about Ebola.

A major outbreak however would be a nightmare for the NHS which despite what Matt Hancock says is nowhere near ready to cope as it has already crumbled with current pressures (have a look at how nobody even cares about A&E 4 week targets, the appalling delays in 2 week wait cancer pathways in addition to issues with EMAS and huge waiting lists for secondary care opinions)

mu4c_20le

Time to move to Africa.

Quite surprising no cases reported there, despite a rather vast Chinese presence.

Simbo

We will find out in due course what this thing is or at least have a much better understanding. My general feeling is that it is highly contagious, human-to-human primarily via respiratory droplets ala SARS. With that said, based on current projections its mortality rate is likely not that high as there are likely plenty of asymptomatic carriers or patients with mild forms of the disease who haven't had confirmatory lab diagnosis.

The deaths as mentioned likely due to comorbidities, multi-organ issues, superimposed bacterial infection or sepsis in addition to poor hospital infrastructure (lack of availability of ITU, second tier hospital wards, NIV equipment, lack of intubation/ventilator assistance with a low ceiling of care for the elderly). Therefore any extrapolations around this virus pertaining to impact in the "western" world simply does not have robust enough data to do so. Honestly though I was more worried about Ebola.

A major outbreak however would be a nightmare for the NHS which despite what Matt Hancock says is nowhere near ready to cope as it has already crumbled with current pressures (have a look at how nobody even cares about A&E 4 week targets, the appalling delays in 2 week wait cancer pathways in addition to issues with EMAS and huge waiting lists for secondary care opinions)
I've been listening to a virology podcast with people that seem to know their shit and are analysing the daily published papers from those studying this virus inside Wuhan/China and elsewhere. It is pretty much confirmed it spreads as you say and they seem pretty confident the number of infections will level out at some point, just as SARS did, although I don't understand how that happened, better hygiene and warmer weather apparently? They speculate it may be another seasonal winter virus.

The rumours of asymptomatic infection seem to have been debunked, that came from a woman travelling to Germany for a short business trip and passing it on there. She has since confirmed she did have symptoms in Germany, whoever published that just didn't do their research.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Imagine being that bloke right now - international plague-bearer
He didn't feel ill, he had no idea. It's not his fault at all, but it does show how hard it is to contain the spread when one infected person can visit several countries in a very short time, for work and then for a holiday. Sitting on a plane for hours and hours is the worst environment.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm amazed at how relaxed people are about this. Seriously worrying that the Chinese felt the need to build a hospital in eight days and then other countries to close borders within two weeks.

The true number will be far more than the 900+ quoted.
Considering the normal flu kills at least 12000 people per year in the US alone more than 900 isn't exactly that catastrophic.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Time to move to Africa.

Quite surprising no cases reported there, despite a rather vast Chinese presence.
Some would say it is the best continent.....

An outbreak in densely populated parts of Africa would be pretty terrible but I guess Ebola has been good practice for some.

Bratt

Time to move to Africa.

I think I read somewhere that most flu viruses needs a dry and cold climate to spread effectively, and that it doesn’t survive in hot and humid climates.

Simbo

I think I read somewhere that most flu viruses needs a dry and cold climate to spread effectively, and that it doesn’t survive in hot and humid climates.
SARS didn't like the warmth, so possibily same for this one.

It is a bit odd the number of confirmed cases each day is fairly static, suggests this is just China's testing capacity.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He didn't feel ill, he had no idea. It's not his fault at all, but it does show how hard it is to contain the spread when one infected person can visit several countries in a very short time, for work and then for a holiday. Sitting on a plane for hours and hours is the worst environment.
This virus is asymptomatic isn't it? It's virtually impossible to stop it from spreading without putting everyone in quarantine and testing everyone that has been exposed.

SARS didn't like the warmth, so possibily same for this one.

It is a bit odd the number of confirmed cases each day is fairly static, suggests this is just China's testing capacity.
They have been dropping the last few days.

muller

Got to feel sorry for the guy. Not his fault in the slightest, just terrible luck.

As he's released a statement, and his company, assume one of the rags found out who it was and gave him an opportunity to come out first so they weren;t seen as the bad guys.

Still surprised it's being reported though.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah seems a bit harsh to dox the bloke when he blatantly wasn't even aware he had anything. His name and pic are on the beeb and sky now too.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Disgusting once again from the Daily Mail. Making him look like a villain whereas he is just another victim.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...vealed-businessman-scout-leader-Brighton.html
Got to feel sorry for the guy. Not his fault in the slightest, just terrible luck.

As he's released a statement, and his company, assume one of the rags found out who it was and gave him an opportunity to come out first so they weren;t seen as the bad guys.

Still surprised it's being reported though.
Exactly.....what a situation to find yourself in, whilst ill on top on it

Simbo

"Super-spreader" is actually a scientific term from what I gather, these virology nerds keep using it when looking at past SARS examples where one person infected like 10+ people compared to the average of 2.

So did this guy go round snogging everyone or what? He's been carrying this virus for weeks, not even had a cough, and infected 11 people?

One of the worries seem to be that most people will only get mild symptoms not much different to the common cold, therefore they won't go to hospital won't take the neccessary precautions to avoid it spreading. Once spread the next person might not have it so easy and develop sever symptoms / pneumonia. Jury is still out on whether it is asymptomatic.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is where social media could be so useful in spreading information but it's infested with so many bellends trying to extract anything of substance from it is like trying to get blood from a stone.
Aye. People believe so much daft shite without applying even one second of common sense.

Facts and accurate reporting are not shared. Dramatic headlines and misinformation are.

The ultimate irony is watching folks scream “China are lying!” At the same time they share unverified and fabricated nonsenses.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Disgusting once again from the Daily Mail. Making him look like a villain whereas he is just another victim.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...vealed-businessman-scout-leader-Brighton.html
Burn the Coronavirus super-spreader!
ssc488, london, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
fines need to be implemented if you affect someone else.
elenagilbert, Zhukovsky, Antarctica, 3 hours ago
This super spreader must be isolated and fined for endangering public safety.

Michael in Leeds
, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
"I'm a 53-year-old married scout leader who works as a gas salesman." Not the most alluring summary to put on your CV, is it? "Oh, and my hobbies include spreading coronavirus."