SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The likes of Taiwan and Australia which are among the best to date numbers wide shut their borders. I sympathise with your predicament but I firmly believe anywhere that’s an island should have closed it’s borders during a proper lockdown. Instead we’ve now seen the U.K. strain moving to other countries
It’s absolutely staggering that nothing was (and still hasn’t been) done to stop people travelling into the country.

There’s literally zero checks going on at ports when people arrive, it’s just reprehensible negligence from the government. Even fecking Trump stopped people going into the US.

pauldyson1uk

It’s absolutely staggering that nothing was (and still hasn’t been) done to stop people travelling into the country.

There’s literally zero checks going on at ports when people arrive, it’s just reprehensible negligence from the government. Even fecking Trump stopped people going into the US.
ALL travel should be stopped, any planes flying should be cargo only.

Judas

Open to offers
Thought so, no idea why people are spreading misinformation about the football stopping, here of all places, we're all miserable enough as it is without that going too.

Jericholyte2

I notice Boris apologised to the kids and parents for the inconvenience. Nothing to the teachers, headteachers and support staff who've been stressing all Christmas as to what fecking state their lessons are to be presented when they come back in January, as well as how they'd suddenly become medically competent to carry out Covid testing for thousands of kids.

Now having to rearrange all of their curriculum to either remote learning or 'live lessons' where kids can just turn off the computer without consequence.

F-Red

Thought so, no idea why people are spreading misinformation about the football stopping, here of all places, we're all miserable enough as it is without that going too.
It does have a bit of a match day feel in the last 30 minutes in here. Just waiting for the knee jerks.

United Hobbit

The schools are safe now that they are empty. It was having people in them that was unsafe.
Oh I completely agree, and feel for the teachers and school staff who have been working their assessments off trying to keep everyone safe now and now have to plan remote lessons, after being told they must open!

hp88

20:12 on the Sky News feed “Elite Sport including Premier League will stop”

Tibs

Sky are saying they are wrong...Premier League is still on

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thank you dude. And yes they are. Our state superintendent of education announced today that she has tested positive for it... 1 day after doing an interview pushing for all schools to be open for 100% capacity, 5 days per week.
That is just insane.

My family who live in the urban areas of NC have been pretty happy with Cooper, but the rural areas are another matter. My cousin is a PA in a rural hospital in NC and they have a tent city in their parking lot. He has had number of patients who got angry at him because they are in the COVID area and "COIVD doesn't exist". How is your state government handling this (outside your idiot superintendent)?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Dermot Murnaghan has just confirmed it was a misunderstanding and elite sports will continue.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think they need to look at the list of what are essential shops. I'm always seeing sizable queues outside Costa. An overpriced cup of coffee is not an essential.

Fully Fledged

Oh I completely agree, and feel for the teachers and school staff who have been working their assessments off trying to keep everyone safe now and now have to plan remote lessons, after being told they must open!
I feel for them as well. It's a hard enough job as it is without all this uncertainty.

I was being sarcastic about his comment that schools are safe, that it is people mingling that is unsafe. As if you can have a school without people mingling.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Until people start holding him to account, we will continue with total nonsensical decision making. People like @Volumiza (sorry to call you out but I’ve seen you a number of times making the case for Bojo!) who focus on mistakes people make, yet can somehow overlook how catastrophically bad this has been handled. This latest lockdown, the timing of it, sheds clear light on the incompetence of this government.

Tibs

IMO, that was Boris' best delivery of a lockdown announcement so far....but it was his third try

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
IMO, that was Boris' best delivery of a lockdown announcement so far....but it was his third try
He had no explanation of why schools closed today, one day after they opened. Opened by saying everything they’d done would have worked without the new strain, making it political. Compared vaccine roll out to the EU, also political. I assume your focus is on how he delivered not what he delivered, to which I’d probably agree - but he still had that smirk. That cowardly aura. I can’t find myself to say anything positive about him.

United Hobbit

I feel for them as well. It's a hard enough job as it is without all this uncertainty.

I was being sarcastic about his comment that schools are safe, that it is people mingling that is unsafe. As if you can have a school without people mingling.
Mine was meant to say working their arses off!

Hope they absolutely whack up the fines and consequences for rule breakers this time

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Until people start holding him to account, we will continue with total nonsensical decision making. People like @Volumiza (sorry to call you out but I’ve seen you a number of times making the case for Bojo!) who focus on mistakes people make, yet can somehow overlook how catastrophically bad this has been handled. This latest lockdown, the timing of it, sheds clear light on the incompetence of this government.
He will get held to account at some point come the next election but just because I hold people to blame doesn’t mean I’m approving of the government’s actions so take your apology and shove it where the sun don’t shine son.

F-Red

Hope they absolutely whack up the fines and consequences for rule breakers this time
You must not leave or be outside of your home except where you have a ‘reasonable excuse’. This will be put in law. The police can take action against you if you leave home without a ‘reasonable excuse’, and issue you with a fine (Fixed Penalty Notice).
You can be given a Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400.
Reasonable excuse list on - https://assets.publishing.service.g...data/file/949536/NationalLockdownGuidance.pdf

Ananke

Just made me laugh how Bojo was like ‘just to clarify, we didn’t shut schools because children/youth are not affected.’ Yet then went on to say ‘just to be clear we are shutting schools because they are high in transmission’

Also that line of ‘we would have been fine doing what we were doing if it wasn’t for this new variant’. Cmon...