SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

redshaw

Expected deaths but cases at 45k still is perhaps a sign it may have peaked at 68k hopefully.

4200 hospital admissions again is not good at all and will take a long time to come down.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Remember. None of what politicians say is meant to mean anything. It is just empty words they spout to try and make themselves appear 'clever' to their followers.
As soon as you try to discect it, you realise it is 100% bullshit.
Nothing more and nothing less.

F-Red

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sburys-morrisons-security-guards-on-new-rules

This shit infuriates me. How many people are walking around your local UK supermarket smoking? They can and do stop it.
In reality, they're working with the guidance. If that has grey areas, then it makes the job of enforcing anything more difficult (the police are saying exactly the same on their current parameters). If the government want this enforced, then it's quite simple for them to put it exemption element into law, like they've done with the face coverings. Again a wider question is whether this should this be a retailer or police matter to enforce the law? Especially when the latter has the power to act.

It's a bit embarrassing for the government that supermarkets are having to lead the line on this. Patel's comments at the press conference were teflon shoulder-esque, insinuating that it's society's responsibility to enforce.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.s...pare-with-past-decades-and-centuries-12185275

A good link for anyone who claims this virus isn't deadly or we don't need to worry about it.

A really good article which gives balanced and reasonable facts and figures explaining the mortality rate from last year in comparison to previous years.

Anyone suggesting it's a 99% survival rate would do well to also look at the hospitalisation figures. That's where the bigger issue lies.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I have a test booked in tonight because I've got a few symptoms (cough, taste).

Kinda feels just like a cold really but I made the mistake of telling my mum on the phone and she's forced me to get tested.

I was surprised how easy it was to book a test and also how many open slots there were. I could literally have picked any time between now and 7pm.

If I do have it, its from Tesco at the weekend as I've not left the flat other than a daily walk outside (on my own).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have a test booked in tonight because I've got a few symptoms (cough, taste).

Kinda feels just like a cold really but I made the mistake of telling my mum on the phone and she's forced me to get tested.

I was surprised how easy it was to book a test and also how many open slots there were. I could literally have picked any time between now and 7pm.

If I do have it, its from Tesco at the weekend as I've not left the flat other than a daily walk outside (on my own).
Even if you don’t have it you’ve caught something from Tesco at the weekend. Which is quite a scary thought considering covid seems to be more contagious than your run of the mill colds and flu.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Does anyone have any good mask recommendations?

We got some from a company called Maskie last year and they're decent but they've shrunk a bit in the wash. I prefer the black ones similar to this kind of style.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Does anyone have any good mask recommendations?

We got some from a company called Maskie last year and they're decent but they've shrunk a bit in the wash. I prefer the black ones similar to this kind of style.
I got a pack of 3 from Adidas for £15 and they’ve been pretty good IMO. Good material and not too bad to wear at length.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do you only get one use out a filter? Puts me off buying ones with those.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In a scenario where one gets their first dose of a Pfizer vaccine only 5 days ago, and then tests positive for covid, is there no response the vaccine can take which can deter severe symptoms?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
In a scenario where one gets their first dose of a Pfizer vaccine only 5 days ago, and then tests positive for covid, is there no response the vaccine can take which can deter severe symptoms?
Not really. All a vaccine does is kick your immune system into gear to get it ready to fight off an infection. If you already have virus in your body the immune response will have already been triggered so a vaccine provides no additional benefit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not really. All a vaccine does is kick your immune system into gear to get it ready to fight off an infection. If you already have virus in your body the immune response will have already been triggered so a vaccine provides no additional benefit.
Okay thanks, it's a tough one because obviously I'm not sure when they would have caught the virus in their body. I would have thought 3 days or so ago if they feel symptoms now. It will be a week tomorrow when they have had their first dose. Probably too early, thanks for letting me know. Hopefully it stays mild.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Okay thanks, it's a tough one because obviously I'm not sure when they would have caught the virus in their body. I would have thought 3 days or so ago if they feel symptoms now. It will be a week tomorrow when they have had their first dose. Probably too early, thanks for letting me know. Hopefully it stays mild.
Median incubation period is 5 to 7 days so it’s actually possible they picked up the virus while they were getting vaccinated!

Mind you, I’m not sure how accurate testing is so soon after being vaccinated. I wonder if it’s possible for the spike protein created as a result of the vaccine to cause a false positive? Should check with their doctor.

EDIT: Never mind. Just googled. Doesn’t look like the vaccine can cause a false positive pcr.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Median incubation period is 5 to 7 days so it’s actually possible they picked up the virus while they were getting vaccinated!

Mind you, I’m not sure how accurate testing is so soon after being vaccinated. I wonder if it’s possible for the spike protein created as a result of the vaccine to cause a false positive? Should check with their doctor.

EDIT: Never mind. Just googled. Doesn’t look like the vaccine can cause a false positive pcr.
They tested positive twice on the home kit (the one where you swab and drop on the reader before reading). I'm assuming that's lateral flow?

PCR test was done today so waiting on the result. Symptoms are flu like for the moment and I'm monitoring it carefully.

You're right it might be while vaccination! But both are essential workers so it could be after too. Thanks for the explanation!