SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

DavidDeSchmikes

I'm going to repeat but compare and contrast how our media announce the daily death figures yesterday, today and tomorrow.
"there's a human story behind these numbers" should have been a line said EVERY TIME a tv presenter announced the daily death figures.
On ITV, 2 nights ago, the news presenter mention the death figures and in the same fecking sentence say "but there was good news"

TheGame

So far in response to this on social media, I've seen:

• Other countries don't publish deaths properly
  • Have we looked at China
  • We are only one of a handful of countries who publish 28 days figure so would be down the per capita table if others did the same.
  • Other countries have been less than honest

:houllier: :houllier:

TheGame

Absolutely agree with this, particularly the final 2 points. Boris & his cabinet will get away without any actual accountability as the media barely ask them tough questions. Boris waffles away some BS and on we go. Nothing of substance gets asked at these conferences.

I’m still trying to work out what Starmer is doing aside from his “I’m not as bad as Boris” routine.
Even the fecking speaker of the house doesn't make him answer questions at PMQs. Bloody joke all round.

MoskvaRed

This world beating death toll is another bonus of the bomb that was put under the UK in June 2016. Even if we acknowledge the fact that the Tories would have underfunded the NHS anyway and Johnson could have become PM under other circumstances, there is no way without the crisis of the last 4 years that (1) the Cabinet collectively would be so poor, (2) the civil service would be demoralised by having a maniac like Cummings attacking them for a year and (3) the collective resources and attention of the executive would be monopolised by one single (avoidable) issue. We definitely would have suffered, like all our neighbours, but not to this extent.

DavidDeSchmikes

Give it a few weeks when we enter February when the UK reaches it vaccine target. Johnson will get a boost and how the UK is starting to 'win' the 'war' against COVID

Sweet Square

What exactly would they have to do to lose support?
I think Starmer has been pretty shite(He's clearly terrified to say anything)but even with that, it's fecking mad the tories are polling around 40%.

There's seems to be a massive generational gap in the UK, that for a ton of reasons seems to be unbreakable. Everyone over the age of 40 is a tory

starman

Reading through the last few pages of this thread I am curious about what is "acceptable" for the amount deaths for people on here.

The Government completely botched the first lock down and were atleast 2 weeks late with their inactions directly contributing to the high death rate. In that time when the UK was hitting 20k Germany was around 2k, iirc, and were highly praised at the time, but looking at them now are upto 55k. Taking into account similar population size, cultural attitudes and the slight difference in population density, would 65k be acceptable?

DavidDeSchmikes

This should be getting done 24/7 so people can tangibly see the damage that’s being caused every day. Too many just don’t give a feck because they aren’t seeing the impact.
this should have been done all time before today. This won't happen tomorrow

MoskvaRed

I think Starmer has been pretty shite(He's clearly terrified to say anything)but even with that, it's fecking mad the tories are polling around 40%.

There's seems to be a massive generational gap in the UK, that for a ton of reasons seems to be unbreakable. Everyone over the age of 40 is a tory
I’m the wrong side of your age divide and not a Tory but I take your point. It is in fact getting worse in England - in the early 90s, John Major (who was fundamentally a decent person) was destroyed by the pound being ejected from the ERM.Today we have an unprincipled charlatan whose cynical promotion of Brexit has caused wilful economic damage unknown in living memory while overseeing the worst death rate in the world. And yet his party (maybe under Sunak) will probably win in 2024.

TheReligion

Abusive
Then why didn't you say as such

I was thinking why you didn't say something similar whilst reading your bicker as it looked like you were prioritising the lives of nhs over other sectors and that's what he was getting at.
I should have tbh although it quickly became clear he had an axe to grind so just left him to ramble on and lost interest in engaging.

Fluctuation0161

Reading through the last few pages of this thread I am curious about what is "acceptable" for the amount deaths for people on here.

The Government completely botched the first lock down and were atleast 2 weeks late with their inactions directly contributing to the high death rate. In that time when the UK was hitting 20k Germany was around 2k, iirc, and were highly praised at the time, but looking at them now are upto 55k. Taking into account similar population size, cultural attitudes and the slight difference in population density, would 65k be acceptable?
We have double the deaths and a smaller population than Germany. But you think we should set a death target of how badly the UK government are allowed to handle this pandemic? Wtf.

Fluctuation0161

This should be getting done 24/7 so people can tangibly see the damage that’s being caused every day. Too many just don’t give a feck because they aren’t seeing the impact.
Absolutely. My colleague at work just lost her Mum to Covid last week. Her Dad caught it in the supermarket 2 weeks ago, then within 1 week of that her Mum caught it from him, she died in hospital. So sad.

Her Dad recovered.

starman

We have double the deaths and a smaller population than Germany. But you think we should set a death target of how badly the UK government are allowed to handle this pandemic? Wtf.
Clearly you haven't comprehended the question, and cherry picked bits of information from my post rather than taking into account the whole thing, take a breath, you are obviously looking for offense

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Absolutely. My colleague at work just lost her Mum to Covid last week. Her Dad caught it in the supermarket 2 weeks ago, then within 1 week of that her Mum caught it from him, she died in hospital. So sad.

Her Dad recovered.
The poor dad will be questioning himself to eternity if he could have done online shopping instead

Fluctuation0161

The poor dad will be questioning himself to eternity if he could have done online shopping instead
Poor guy. He is quite old I think so not too online savvy.

I think they did try online shopping earlier in the pandemic when it was near impossible to get a slot. I guess they never tried again.

Really brings it home. Their whole family is devastated.

When I think this has happened 100,000 times, the scale of grief for these families is shocking!

Blackwidow

Her Dad recovered.
My son's Grandma died with Covid last Thursday in North Carolina. My son was waking me up at 3 a.m. while he was on Whats App with his Dad. I did not want to ask too many questions (but it itched in my fingers...) This side is full of Retrumplicans and I have read enough stupid stuff about masks - but I guess when you mourn it is not the time to talk about that.

His Granny was fighting breast cancer for years with good and better times - there were years when it seemed to be extinguished and then it came back. But as much as I know there was no recent spread and the death now came pretty unexpected.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Is there anyone on here who still thinks the government gives a shit?
I think they care about prolonging it so they can make more money yeah. All these dodgy contracts they've dished out to Tory donor start up companies will be coming back into their pockets before the next election. Boris Johnson is just poor mans Hans Gruber.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think they care about prolonging it so they can make more money yeah. All these dodgy contracts they've dished out to Tory donor start up companies will be coming back into their pockets before the next election. Boris Johnson is just poor mans Hans Gruber.

I think many of them see it as mostly wiping out the poor, the elderly and the sick so see it as a bit of a win-win really. Maybe a few of their mates will get it but those are acceptable losses.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Come on now. You can’t seriously think they want to prolong this? They might have made a mess of containing the virus but they’re doing better than almost anyone else at vaccinating you lot against it. Which isn’t a tactic you’d expect from a government that wants the pandemic to persist.

Which brings up some more cognitive dissonance. Seeing as the Tory’s get the blame for the high death toll, do they deserve credit for the impressive vaccination numbers?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Come on now. You can’t seriously think they want to prolong this? They might have made a mess of containing the virus but they’re doing better than almost anyone else at vaccinating you lot against it. Which isn’t a tactic you’d expect from a government that wants the pandemic to persist.

Which brings up some more cognitive dissonance. Seeing as the Tory’s get the blame for the high death toll, do they deserve credit for the impressive vaccination numbers?

for me it's more about they have not made their decisions on what's best for people.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
for me it's more about they have not made their decisions on what's best for people.
Yeah same. Comment was obviously tongue in cheek but it's clear from the decision making (or lack of it) that it was always about money first and people second. Even know they're dithering on quarantining people flying in and looks like it will only be a half measure anyway.

I will give them credit for rolling out the vaccine quickly and successfully but I remain sceptical of the succesful part based on everything else that has proceeded it. I think this government has proven every step of the way that they are ill equipped to govern in normal times, much less a global crisis.