SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fluctuation0161

Come on now. You can’t seriously think they want to prolong this? They might have made a mess of containing the virus but they’re doing better than almost anyone else at vaccinating you lot against it. Which isn’t a tactic you’d expect from a government that wants the pandemic to persist.

Which brings up some more cognitive dissonance. Seeing as the Tory’s get the blame for the high death toll, do they deserve credit for the impressive vaccination numbers?
"Nearly 60% of Britain's total official COVID-19 deaths have taken place since 21st September, when SAGE urged the government to take drastic action to prevent a "very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences".
Their advice was ignored."

worldgonemad

"Nearly 60% of Britain's total official COVID-19 deaths have taken place since 21st September, when SAGE urged the government to take drastic action to prevent a "very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences".
Their advice was ignored."
I see what you are saying there, but sage are advising purely from an immediate health point of view regarding the virus aren't they. The government are balancing this with our needs as a wider society. It's easy to say we should have shut down everything earlier, harder, longer, but at what cost? Every choice made through the course of the pandemic has a human cost in lives, now or down the line.
Some of the government's choices have been wrong, in my opinion. It's interesting though that you pick the recent rise in deaths. We all know the risks as we have had almost a year to get our heads around the situation, surely we also have to accept some responsibility for this huge rise in cases and deaths.
The last few months I've worked with, seen people, and heard of many people just dismissing this virus as a hoax, and not a serious threat. These people have to shoulder an equal proportion of blame as the government for the predicament we are all in.
Not having a go at you personally by the way, and as I've said, the government have been far from perfect, but often blame can start with the man or woman in the mirror

Fluctuation0161

I see what you are saying there, but sage are advising purely from an immediate health point of view regarding the virus aren't they. The government are balancing this with our needs as a wider society. It's easy to say we should have shut down everything earlier, harder, longer, but at what cost? Every choice made through the course of the pandemic has a human cost in lives, now or down the line.
Some of the government's choices have been wrong, in my opinion. It's interesting though that you pick the recent rise in deaths. We all know the risks as we have had almost a year to get our heads around the situation, surely we also have to accept some responsibility for this huge rise in cases and deaths.
The last few months I've worked with, seen people, and heard of many people just dismissing this virus as a hoax, and not a serious threat. These people have to shoulder an equal proportion of blame as the government for the predicament we are all in.
Not having a go at you personally by the way, and as I've said, the government have been far from perfect, but often blame can start with the man or woman in the mirror
So you go with government incompetence rather than malice, which is perfectly reasonable. I believe it is a combination of government incompetence combined with cronyism and the Tory Party being more easily influenced by rich business associates/donors/lobbyists rather than scientists.

I don't accept your point about blame starting with the populace though. That is pure deflection (by the government fuelled by the media, not you personally) and if you follow the ridiculous choices, policies and illogical rule changes by the UK government you can lay 90% of the blame at their door for the UK having the highest death toll per million in the World.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
for me it's more about they have not made their decisions on what's best for people.
It’s a very difficult position to be in. Lockdown too early and you ruin people’s business’, increase unemployment etc. Lockdown too late and people die. There are very fine margins to work with.

They got it completely wrong, but I can understand (even though I don’t agree) with delaying lockdowns.

I have no love for the Tories at all, but they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t.

Take the school situation for instance. They were destroyed for not closing the schools in December and are now being destroyed for not committing to a date to reopen schools. How can they win in a situation like that?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My sister in law had COVID back in March. She’s in USA. She had an antibodies test about 6 months later and they were still present.
Anyway, she just had another test a few days ago and they are still present

K Stand Knut

It’s a very difficult position to be in. Lockdown too early and you ruin people’s business’, increase unemployment etc. Lockdown too late and people die. There are very fine margins to work with.

They got it completely wrong, but I can understand (even though I don’t agree) with delaying lockdowns.

I have no love for the Tories at all, but they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t.

Take the school situation for instance. They were destroyed for not closing the schools in December and are now being destroyed for not committing to a date to reopen schools. How can they win in a situation like that?
this is a fair point but do you not just think people are more angry now because of the way the past 12 months has ridden out??

I said in April the country, and its borders should have been locked down before the initial lockdown.

Would this have caused anger from people and business owners. Yes, of course. Would those same owners understand if we had been able to re-open safely now? Again, yes, I think so.

I think the government have failed massively, but I still hope it down to incompetence rather than anything else.

At least 50% of this country are morons and/or selfish though so these tw@ts will still be in power the day after the next GE

worldgonemad

So you go with government incompetence rather than malice, which is perfectly reasonable. I believe it is a combination of government incompetence combined with cronyism and the Tory Party being more easily influenced by rich business associates/donors/lobbyists rather than scientists.

I don't accept your point about blame starting with the populace though. That is pure deflection (by the government fuelled by the media, not you personally) and if you follow the ridiculous choices, policies and illogical rule changes by the UK government you can lay 90% of the blame at their door for the UK having the highest death toll per million in the World.

As i said , mistakes have been made by the government , which have directly cost lives . Thats the black and white of it . Early on in particular we were slow to react and that lead to death .Putting people into care homes without testing , led to death. For comparison , other countries in europe acted more strongly and suppressed the 1st wave , i,m thinking of germany and france in particular as they have similar populace and demographics , and also similar experience of pandemic. They also , at the time ( germany in particular ) were heralded for their test and trace systems. Im not blind to the fact the government have made mistakes here , and rightly they are getting called out for that . ( Though i will say , the opposition have been abject in almost every way . Nicola Sturgeon though has been consistent and clear throughout , to her credit )

Regarding from the middle of the pandemic to date , i do believe the government have acted better ( not perfect by any stretch , and the xmas idea was a complete clusterfeck ) , but the testing system , from my own experience worked really well and was ramped up to beyond that of our neighbours in germany and france . Germanys heralded system fell apart and was overwhelmed when hit with the numbers we had in the first wave . Given the progression of time and the lower deaths and cases initially , i could also argue Germany have performed worse during this second wave than we have . I know you will argue that your point was not about how other countries are performing but about our gevernment , but i think mental comparison does play a part in our thinking that " We " are doing well or not .

For example " We seem to have been ahead of the game regarding vaccinations and that is something that should be lauded , some bright in the dark .

Ive commented before that the media have acted very irresponsably throughout , though i have not seen much positive/ negative Tory or labour spin on it to be honest , just bad , lazy , dangerous knee jerk clickbait style stuff that in worse than fake news in many ways. i ,m going to use the highest death rate in the world quote as an example of that . looks good on a headline , but according to world of meters , other countries do have higher death rates per million , belgium being one .

People are an issue though i,m afraid , and we will just have to agree to disagree on that . Part of it is demographic , we are old and fat as a nation , so the fat part at least we have to take ownership of . Large numbers of people have chosen to ignore the advice not to mix unless essential , Black lives matter protests and gatherings , shisha bar groups , weddings in jewish schools spring to mind . Thats the people mate , choosing to say feck it , and dominic cummings going for a drive as an excuse does not cut it with me .

Ive no doubt after this there will be heads to roll , a fall guy here or there , a dodgy deal being uncovered . ive also no doubt that some of the people saying ' well they deserve it " will be the same people who went to a new years party then went home and killed an aunt or uncle or mum or dad

tombombadil

No. They are being destroyed because they threatened schools with lawsuits, forcing them to reopen, knowing full well the new variant was spreading wildly. Then after 1 day of school, they backtracked and closed schools.

Garethw

this is a fair point but do you not just think people are more angry now because of the way the past 12 months has ridden out??

I said in April the country, and its borders should have been locked down before the initial lockdown.

Would this have caused anger from people and business owners. Yes, of course. Would those same owners understand if we had been able to re-open safely now? Again, yes, I think so.

I think the government have failed massively, but I still hope it down to incompetence rather than anything else.

At least 50% of this country are morons and/or selfish though so these tw@ts will still be in power the day after the next GE
I 100% agree pal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

This government are swayed by too many people with a vested interest. Agree they should have shut the borders, but boohoo it would upset too many people. They should not have opened things back up so early. I would rather be alive than have my hair done or my nails done. Christmas, another disaster. The majority will have been sensible, but it doesn't take many stupid people to make the infection rate rise. The fact that most of the victims of this will have been doing everything the right way and have died due to other people selfishness. Too many self-entitled people, entitled to go to the pub, entitled to go for a meal, entitled to go on holiday or drive miles for a day out.

Garethw

No. They are being destroyed because they threatened schools with lawsuits, forcing them to reopen, knowing full well the new variant was spreading wildly. Then after 1 day of school, they backtracked and closed schools.
100%. Complete incompetence from them. But thankfully they changed their stance and did shut the schools. It’s no surprise that infections rates have massively dropped since the schools closed.

But they are now under immense pressure to open them back up which would be ludicrous.

Keep the schools shut until Easter and, get the infection rate as low as possible in that time.

Garethw

This government are swayed by too many people with a vested interest. Agree they should have shut the borders, but boohoo it would upset too many people. They should not have opened things back up so early. I would rather be alive than have my hair done or my nails done. Christmas, another disaster. The majority will have been sensible, but it doesn't take many stupid people to make the infection rate rise. The fact that most of the victims of this will have been doing everything the right way and have died due to other people selfishness. Too many self-entitled people, entitled to go to the pub, entitled to go for a meal, entitled to go on holiday or drive miles for a day out.
Well said mate.

redshaw

Not learning from past mistakes is probably the worst. Once getting down to single digit deaths and just 600 cases with widespread community testing they left it too long in the Autumn once it was clear trying to live with the virus wasn't working, they lost control again. The big one which has added so many more deaths and a huge lasting swell of cases and deaths is not locking down nationally hard when the new strain was clearly a problem which was around early to mid December. They again left it way too long by many weeks this time along with a more contagious strain over a holiday period. Even without a new strain it required more action, to leave it that long and keep growing exponentially is how you have weeks of 1-2k deaths per day.

You see in the first wave how long it took for UK to get cases down, about a month longer than other countries in Europe, we saw again the restrictions weren't working in the Autumn. How they let it run in December is baffling, all the data is there to show recovery is very long and painful and requires hard action early in the UK.

It's like sitting on a beach shore hoping the tide won't come in this time and cover you in water. They've tried to straddle economy and cases/deaths but have done the worst on both. Biggest economy shrink as well.

Last edited:

pascell

Completely agree mate.

NinjaFletch

I think I find this argument the most spurious of them all.

It's been uses to defend all manner of absolute bullshit, with the repeated result that the uncertainty, delay and lack of action hurts businesses more than an earlier, more targeted intervention.

It's pretty clear by now that the most pro-business approach is the Australia and New Zealand one which has allowed significant normality for most people for about 10 months.

But, oh no, business (especially cnuts like the bosses of Ryanair and Easyjet) pissed their pants and here we are in a situation far worse for everyone.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
My good mate told me a story yesterday about his sister and her family - 4 boys all late teens or early 20s, the husband - all had serious symptoms from 17th to 28th December and carried on with life without telling anyone - including visiting families etc at Christmas. Spread it loads of others.
Talk about selfishness and stupidity

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My good mate told me a story yesterday about his sister and her family - 4 boys all late teens or early 20s, the husband - all had serious symptoms from 17th to 28th December and carried on with life without telling anyone - including visiting families etc at Christmas. Spread it loads of others.
That boils my piss so badly. How the FECK can any rational human being(s) be so unbelievably selfish?!

worldgonemad

Ive touched on this sort of thing earlier , fecking does my head in . I think we all have similar stories to this , only a low numberof selfish assholes can cause chaos . Compare this to my next door neighbour who has barely left the house since march last year , and who had xmas dinner alone , whos business is ruined and who has had to rely on her parents to help out . She went back to work in December for the first time since march and had to self isolate within 2 weeks .

worldgonemad

That boils my piss so badly. How the FECK can any rational human being(s) be so unbelievably selfish?!
Its a wide section of society as well pogue , from those youngsters who are regarded as being most irresponsible in general to those who definately know better , like the scottish mp who thought it ok to hop on a train after positive test , to the swaffham councillor going for a walk around town while infected .

Human nature can be a bitch at times

DomesticTadpole

Flaming Norah!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
People in this thread saying that the UK government's aim in this pandemic is to kill the vulnerable/poor are just as mental as 9/11 conspiracy theorists and Qanon followers.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

You can comeback from unemployment and lost business. You can't comeback from death or permanent health issues from Covid.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
People in this thread saying that the UK government's aim in this pandemic is to kill the vulnerable/poor are just as mental as 9/11 conspiracy theorists and Qanon followers.
Not an aim, just the most acceptable loss given the options presented.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Utter cnuts.

Garethw

You can comeback from unemployment and lost business. You can't comeback from death or permanent health issues from Covid.
100% agree mate. It’s why I don’t want the schools going back until infection rates have massively reduced. In fact I’m all for a much stricter lockdown to get this bloody thing under control. I see people breaking the rules all of the time and it boils my piss.

tombombadil

I think I find this argument the most spurious of them all.

It's been uses to defend all manner of absolute bullshit, with the repeated result that the uncertainty, delay and lack of action hurts businesses more than an earlier, more targeted intervention.

It's pretty clear by now that the most pro-business approach is the Australia and New Zealand one which has allowed significant normality for most people for about 10 months.

But, oh no, business (especially cnuts like the bosses of Ryanair and Easyjet) pissed their pants and here we are in a situation far worse for everyone.
I agree. It's been used ad nauseam to justify all manner of stupidity. Like some sort of deus ex machina.

That is so disgusting. Did you manage to report them or something? Zombie and other apocalypse movies were right, all along. Humans truly are that stupid.

NinjaFletch

Yeah, as we all know the government have been so incompetent that if they were trying to kill people we probably would have ended up with nobody dying at all.

DomesticTadpole

Of course they didn't mean to, but it doesn't mean it couldn't have been avoided either.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Who’s said that?

For what it’s worth, I think you are right in saying that it’s mental to state that they have that as any sort of specific target. I do however think it’s a perfectly rational and logical conclusion to derive from this government’s words and actions that their inherent biases and contempt for those demographics has resulted in the horrendous inequality and injustices we have seen inflicted on those people.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
As if it wasn't already hard enough to get to the nasal cavity, now they want to take scenic route. :nervous: