SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I had the mildest of infections over the past 10 days and I still can't smell or taste anything for a week now. I hope it comes back soon but its fecking hell in life if those senses are altered or damaged permanently. So the only decent scenario is no-infection.
My mum had it last March and some things still taste weird to her, like onions now taste like metal for some reason

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
My mum had it last March and some things still taste weird to her, like onions now taste like metal for some reason
That's at least a good thing to know that the nerve cells are still relearning. Apparently if it lasts more than a year, its gone for good. I can't imagine eating bland food for the rest of my life.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
What I was hearing was this variant will speed up herd immunity in the young. Apart from long covid (is that even a thing nowadays? Seems to be a 2020 phenomenon) the real risk is to those that are deliberately choosing not to get immunised (a large minority), or are unable to medically - this should be a miniscule minority.

Any infection is negative news obviously. But in the context of the last six months is it as bad as we think? We've all seen bleak.
well a projected 20'000 cases a day in the next few weeks is not good news. Of course, the question is how many of them turn into serious illnesses. The video says its currently estimated that only about 40 deaths a day would occur, which is of course so much better than was happening a few months ago

I guess as a country and as a world, we still haven't had a debate as to what level of death from covid are we willing to accept. We aren't going to get it down to Zero, so at what point is it ok to get on with life and open up fully? I genuinely don't know the answer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's at least a good thing to know that the nerve cells are still relearning. Apparently if it lasts more than a year, its gone for good. I can't imagine eating bland food for the rest of my life.
I’m sure you’ve googled this already but smell/taste training is an important part of recovery. Don’t be too disheartened if progress is slow. A friend of mine caught covid in the first wave and reckons his taste/smell is still slowly improving.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
well a projected 20'000 cases a day in the next few weeks is not good news. Of course, the question is how many of them turn into serious illnesses. The video says its currently estimated that only about 40 deaths a day would occur, which is of course so much better than was happening a few months ago

I guess as a country and as a world, we still haven't had a debate as to what level of death from covid are we willing to accept. We aren't going to get it down to Zero, so at what point is it ok to get on with life and open up fully? I genuinely don't know the answer.
I don’t think anyone does. It’s a tough one. Worth bearing in mind that flu kills about 30,000 in a bad year in the UK. Is that what we should aim for? Or much lower, consider these deaths are in addition to flu? It’s an incredibly tough question that we’ll probably argue about for years.

Balljy

I had my second shot of AZ yesterday. After the first one I got nothing but a very slight fatigue and feeling of not being 100%.

I was up a lot of last night being sick and with a cracking headache. I'm beginning to come round now, but after reading that AZ is often worse on the 1st one was hoping I'd get away with not having proper symptoms.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I’m sure you’ve googled this already but smell/taste training is an important part of recovery. Don’t be too disheartened if progress is slow. A friend of mine caught covid in the first wave and reckons his taste/smell is still slowly improving.
Yes I read that, the official medical advice here in Denmark is to wait 6 weeks and if there is slow or no improvement, they have a special ENT unit set up to diagnose and help with recovery of senses. I hope it doesn't come to it as my symptoms were very mild as compared to others.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don’t think anyone does. It’s a tough one. Worth bearing in mind that flu kills about 30,000 in a bad year in the UK. Is that what we should aim for? Or much lower, consider these deaths are in addition to flu? It’s an incredibly tough question that we’ll probably argue about for years.
Yeah, I agree, its something the world and each country will struggle with for a long time and will cause a lot of angry disagreements.

I do worry that the debate hasn't really started yet and I think long-term that is going to cause more problems. It is very likely that given the current rise in cases there will be more deaths in around a month than we are experiencing now. Also over winter, with unlocking the rising number of variants, there is likely to be quite a lot of deaths even with a boaster jab. The question is are the numbers going to be at a level that the majority can accept and allow the health service to function, or will people deem the number of deaths outway the economic and social benefits of having a fully unlocked society

We really need to start having an honest debate as a country and a world as to what level of death is acceptable. Otherwise, we are going to get to this point and everyone is going to start screaming shouting, and blaming which isn't helpful to anyone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, I agree, its something the world and each country will struggle with for a long time and will cause a lot of angry disagreements.

I do worry that the debate hasn't really started yet and I think long-term that is going to cause more problems. It is very likely that given the current rise in cases there will be more deaths in around a month than we are experiencing now. Also over winter, with unlocking the rising number of variants, there is likely to be quite a lot of deaths even with a boaster jab. The question is are the numbers going to be at a level that the majority can accept and allow the health service to function, or will people deem the number of deaths outway the economic and social benefits of having a fully unlocked society

We really need to start having an honest debate as a country and a world as to what level of death is acceptable. Otherwise, we are going to get to this point and everyone is going to start screaming shouting, and blaming which isn't helpful to anyone.
Agree 100% with all of this.

Although when I’m feeling optimistic I focus on the fact that these vaccines are way more effective than flu vaccines (and uptake of vaccines is in a completely different league) so there’s a good chance that - once vaccine roll-out is complete - cases can be maintained at a level where the deaths will only ever be a fraction of the level we see with flu. So there won’t be any tough decisions needed to be taken (other than how to ensure compliance with boosters)

Balljy

There's bound to be a joint flu / covid-19 vaccine at some point. There's will be a lot of overlap with flu and covid deaths due to the fact they both have higher mortality rates for older people so making the jab happen for the same people at the same time makes a lot of sense.

I think the question will be whether the jab needs to be brought to younger age groups for free. In the UK it's 50 or over this year (recently brought down from 65 because of coronavirus) and the question will be is there an acceptable tolerance of deaths for people without known health conditions and below that age group. The decision could be taken to reduce the age further, but the more it's reduced the more it costs and the longer it takes.

The debate will have to be had though as to what is "acceptable". When I had my vaccine yesterday when we were chatting the nurse thought that boosters will only be for the elderly this year which is interesting in itself, but does make some sense as they will be the ones who had it January / February.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I had the mildest of infections over the past 10 days and I still can't smell or taste anything for a week now. I hope it comes back soon but its fecking hell in life if those senses are altered or damaged permanently. So the only decent scenario is no-infection.
I had a nasty flu quite a few years ago and lost those senses for 4 months. I had lost hope of ever tasting a banoffee pie, or a Pepsi again. Food almost became a necessary inconvenience. Thankfully things restored themselves eventually but I did notice I lost quite a bit of fat during that time without even trying. :)

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I had my second shot of AZ yesterday. After the first one I got nothing but a very slight fatigue and feeling of not being 100%.

I was up a lot of last night being sick and with a cracking headache. I'm beginning to come round now, but after reading that AZ is often worse on the 1st one was hoping I'd get away with not having proper symptoms.
Sugar honey iced tea! I've just had my second jab of AZ today. As I suffered heavily after the first jab I was hoping I could avoid all that after the second. Could do without nausea, hate that. :(

On the plus side, I walked into a packed hall of mainly young people (25-40, yes that's young for me, feck youse) and was guided straight to the AZ jab lady. Felt like proper royalty until I realised I was the grandad in the place. :(

Balljy

Sugar honey iced tea! I've just had my second jab of AZ today. As I suffered heavily after the first jab I was hoping I could avoid all that after the second. Could do without nausea, hate that. :(

On the plus side, I walked into a packed hall of mainly young people (25-40, yes that's young for me, feck youse) and was guided straight to the AZ jab lady. Felt like proper royalty until I realised I was the grandad in the place. :(
The nurse asked me if I had symptoms after the first and when I said not really, she kind of shook her head in a feeling sorry for me way and said to expect something from this one :lol:

You hopefully might be OK if you had symptoms with the first one, but who knows. I felt rough last night, but have picked up really quickly over the morning and just feel tired now. It's amazing how quickly the symptoms come and go.

Both my vaccines have been get there, get assigned a room and have the jab. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes for both, with a 15 minute wait in the car afterwards to make sure you are OK. The clinic was AZ only, so oldies only at my place.

F-Red

You'll be fine, I had a stronger reaction on my first AZ to my second. Just had general lethargy for 12-18 hours after.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The only symptoms I had for both doses was being savagely hungry for about three days afterwards :lol:

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
The nurse asked me if I had symptoms after the first and when I said not really, she kind of shook her head in a feeling sorry for me way and said to expect something from this one :lol:

You hopefully might be OK if you had symptoms with the first one, but who knows. I felt rough last night, but have picked up really quickly over the morning and just feel tired now. It's amazing how quickly the symptoms come and go.

Both my vaccines have been get there, get assigned a room and have the jab. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes for both, with a 15 minute wait in the car afterwards to make sure you are OK. The clinic was AZ only, so oldies only at my place.
You'll be fine, I had a stronger reaction on my first AZ to my second. Just had general lethargy for 12-18 hours after.
Thanks, that's comforting to know.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
just to buck the trend I felt bad the first dose and appalling the second hope that helps ;)
21 hours in and thankfully everything is nice and gentle so far. A little upset tummy in the middle of the night but no headaches, etc. At this stage after the first dose I was way worse. Hopefully this continues for the rest of the day. :)

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
21 hours in and thankfully everything is nice and gentle so far. A little upset tummy in the middle of the night but no headaches, etc. At this stage after the first dose I was way worse. Hopefully this continues for the rest of the day. :)
Ah nice, I think after that long you’re clear, result!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Is there a reason as to why everyone needs a vaccine? If everyone in certain age groups and vulnerable groups have both of the jabs, then why do people at low risk need to be jabbed? I'm not comparing it to a flu but isn't kind of the same in a sense that older people die and young people recover whilst having the flu? Hence only over 60's offered a flu jab. Whats the difference here?

Dave_MUFC

I've got my 2nd shot in a couple of weeks, for AZ.

The first jab took me out for 24 hours, and had some lasting effects for 2-3 days. First night I woke up with a throbbing headache, and the morning felt like one of the worst hangovers I've ever had, although almost no arm pain at all. Then I had sporadic headaches for 2-3 days.

Hoping it's a case of only reacting badly to one of the shots i.e. you didn't react much to the 1st, therefore it kicked in the 2nd, so hopefully as I had it bad the 1st, I don't get it too awfully the 2nd.

Definitely going to pop a few paracetamol after my jab and before sleeping the 1st night, even if I don't feel much, just to avoid the possibility of feeling like I did last time.

Bosws87

Is there a reason as to why everyone needs a vaccine? If everyone in certain age groups and vulnerable groups have both of the jabs, then why do people at low risk need to be jabbed? I'm not comparing it to a flu but isn't kind of the same in a sense that older people die and young people recover whilst having the flu? Hence only over 60's offered a flu jab. Whats the difference here?
I'm only guessing but because its a brand new disease there is zero immunity built through generations like influenza so everyone is completely open to infection without catching it or vaccination and even a very small amount of of serious cases of "the young" when every single person has zero immunity still equals a problem.

I might be totally wrong, but in 10/20 years when its a standard human infection immunity would of been built up naturally or through vaccination so then it will be just like the flu only the extremely vulnerable will have to get it once a year.

thats an educated guess at best though :lol:

Paxi

I'm only guessing but because its a brand new disease there is zero immunity built through generations like influenza so everyone is completely open to infection without catching it or vaccination and even a very small amount of of serious cases of "the young" when every single person has zero immunity still equals a problem.

I might be totally wrong, but in 10/20 years when its a standard human infection immunity would of been built up naturally or through vaccination so then it will be just like the flu only the extremely vulnerable will have to get it once a year.

thats an educated guess at best though :lol:
Yeah like that makes sense, but flu or other coronavirus' have other strains that attack immune system every winter etc? Again, I'm lost.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Covid can kill and does kill young people. There’s also long covid. And even something which seems relatively trivial like the risk of having your sense of taste/smell permanently altered is a good enough reason to get a vaccine IMO.

Selfish reasons aside, the vaccines aren’t 100% effective so old/vulnerable people can be killed by covid despite being vaccinated. Plus not everyone is able to take the vaccine. If they’re severely immune compromised, or are allergic.

The higher the rate of vaccination in the population overall the lower the level of covid being passed around. So every individual who gets vaccinated is doing their bit to save lives.

Paxi

Covid can kill and does kill young people. There’s also long covid. And even something which seems relatively trivial like having your sense of taste/smell permanently altered is a good enough reason to get a vaccine.

Selfish reasons aside, the vaccines aren’t 100% effective so old/vulnerable people can be killed by covid despite being vaccinated. The higher the rate of vaccination in the population overall the lower the level of covid being passed around.

That 'long covid'... I think I have it. I think a around a quarter of people have reported some symptoms that aren't even primarily symptoms anymore?

Again, Pogue, forgive me for being an idiot, but explain to me if old and vulnerable are vaccinated, why do 10-30 need to get jabbed.
Also, I've been sucked in by some Facebook rabbit hole.. etc. but I'm not shying away. I'm asking you guys.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That 'long covid'... I think I have it. I think a around a quarter of people have reported some symptoms that aren't even primarily symptoms anymore?

Again, Pogue, forgive me for being an idiot, but explain to me if old and vulnerable are vaccinated, why do 10-30 need to get jabbed.
Also, I've been sucked in by some Facebook rabbit hole.. etc. but I'm not shying away. I'm asking you guys.
See above re explanation. If covid is spreading like crazy amongst young people then it can still kill some old/vulnerable people who are vaccinated. As well as people who can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons. Vaccinating the young keeps levels down for everyone.

It does get tricky working out exactly how young we should vaccinate. In Israel they only vaccinated 16+ and that got levels so low that cases basically died out in U16s too.

Paxi

See above re explanation. If covid is spreading like crazy amongst young people then it can still kill some old/vulnerable people who are vaccinated. As well as people who can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons. Vaccinating the young keeps levels down for everyone.

It does get tricky working out exactly how young we should vaccinate. In Israel they only vaccinated 16+ and that got levels so low that cases basically died out in U16s too.
Vaccination for all is to keep the viral load down for older people and the venerable? Is that it? Honestly, if I'm not getting it then I'm sorry.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It’s not really clear what you’re asking here. Why not flip it the other way and ask: why shouldn’t everyone get the vaccine?