SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Just watched some of the ‘freedom March’ live stream. Happened to tune in at the exact time a wild Karen was screaming at a couple out shopping
The lesser-spotted (but still spotted way too much) wild Karen. Attenborough's next docu subject.

hmchan

Very true. I've known friends of my late father who flew to Los Angeles during the Eid break, taking advantage of the cheap flights, just to get a Pfizer/Moderna shot. My philosophy on this is take whichever brand is available to you first, so when I was offered with Sinovac around April it was a no-brainer. I took a Covid antibody test a few weeks ago to check if my body is responding well to it and it did.

In any case I'm relieved to hear that you're finally inoculated. Cianjur has Sinovac?
Still no idea why would anyone take Sinovac, if they are allowed to choose.

Coronavirus: Hong Kong study finds 'substantial' antibody-level difference between BioNTech, Sinovac jab recipients
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...coronavirus-those-biontech-jabs-have-stronger

hmchan

Kopral Jono

Still no idea why would anyone take Sinovac, if they are allowed to choose.

Coronavirus: Hong Kong study finds 'substantial' antibody-level difference between BioNTech, Sinovac jab recipients
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...coronavirus-those-biontech-jabs-have-stronger
Simply put there is plenty of mRNA vaccine hesitancy out there even among the highly educated, as shown by the very high demand for Sinovac in Singapore where Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are readily available for free! One of these genius minds is my partner's younger sister who lives in Los Angeles. While not necessarily an antivaxxer, she was at one point contemplating a Jakarta trip for a few weeks or Mexico just to get Sinovac somehow, though in the end she settled with J&J.

For obvious reasons Sinovac wasn't my first choice (I'd have taken either Pfizer or Moderna given the option), but I did take it, did a Covid antibody test a month after my second jab and results show a high antibody level, similarly my partner, mother and sibling who all took Sinovac. I'm not sure if you're aware but there was a story doing the rounds last week about the Delta outbreak in a town called Kudus here, and among the 6,000+ healthcare workers jabbed with Sinovac, if I'm not mistaken only about 350 were infected and the majority of them asymptomatic. That is actually quite good numbers. So while Sinovac is not as good as Pfizer or Moderna, it obviously still works and some of the negative press around it is a bit unwarranted.

hmchan

Simply put there is plenty of mRNA vaccine hesitancy out there even among the highly educated, as shown by the very high demand for Sinovac in Singapore where Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are readily available for free! One of these genius minds is my partner's younger sister who lives in Los Angeles. While not necessarily an antivaxxer, she was at one point contemplating a Jakarta trip for a few weeks or Mexico just to get Sinovac somehow, though in the end she settled with J&J.

For obvious reasons Sinovac wasn't my first choice (I'd have taken either Pfizer or Moderna given the option), but I did take it, did a Covid antibody test a month after my second jab and results show a high antibody level, similarly my partner, mother and sibling who all took Sinovac. I'm not sure if you're aware but there was a story doing the rounds last week about the Delta outbreak in a town called Kudus here, and among the 6,000+ healthcare workers jabbed with Sinovac, if I'm not mistaken only about 350 were infected and the majority of them asymptomatic. That is actually quite good numbers. So while Sinovac is not as good as Pfizer or Moderna, it obviously still works and some of the negative press around it is a bit unwarranted.
The effectiveness of a vaccine should be determined from clinical trials, which Sinovac has barely performed. This explains why they have yet to publish in a peer-reviewed journal, while other companies are actively investigating in the vaccine efficacy against various variants. Negative press is inevitable when you lack data to prove your claim.

Sinovac is better than nothing, and I understand why it is a no-brainer for less wealthy countries (especially under China's vaccine diplomacy). But when given the choice, Pfizer and Moderna are obviously better options especially for healthcare workers. It's frustrating to let a skeptical vaccine ruin the effort and endanger the healthcare system.

Traub

Everyone should aim to get one of the big four: Pfizer, moderna, J&J or AZ

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
SINOVAC IS GOOD VACCINE!

My country is one of the most advanced in terms of population vaccinated with both doses (mainly Sinovac and Pfizer), and the study of effectiveness finally came back. Although the Pfizer is a little bit more effective, SINOVAC is plenty good.

Results after 2 weeks of the second shot:

63.6% effective against symptoms.
87.3% effective against hospitalisation
90.0% effective against ICU admittance.
86.4% effective against death.

Don't buy the propaganda against the Chinese vaccines, they are good stuff.

Just take any vaccine available, unless you are young man, in which case try to avoid the Astra Zeneca.

hmchan

I would imagine it's accurate. Sinovac isn't as effective as other vaccines and the Delta variant is highly-transmissible.
Imo the world is underestimating the impact of ineffective vaccines and questionable diagnostic kits. They will remain as the major obstacles in ending this pandemic.

hmchan

SINOVAC IS GOOD VACCINE!

My country is one of the most advanced in terms of population vaccinated with both doses (mainly Sinovac and Pfizer), and the study of effectiveness finally came back. Although the Pfizer is a little bit more effective, SINOVAC is plenty good.

Just take any vaccine available, unless you are young man, in which case try to avoid the Astra Zeneca.
Reasons not to take Sinovac:
1. Much much lower efficacy as compared to other vaccines (not "a little bit" as you claim)
2. Efficacy not proven in elderly
3. No data published in a peer-reviewed journal
4. Safety unknown
5. No follow-up study whatsoever such as effectiveness against variants

Like I said, Sinovac is better than nothing, and I understand why it is a no-brainer for less wealthy countries (especially under China's vaccine diplomacy). But when given the choice, Pfizer and Moderna are obviously better options.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
@George Owen, I'd actually made sure I was right about the efficacy before I posted. If that's the only vaccine available, it's far better than having no vaccination of course, but AZ, Pfizer and Moderna are better.

Kopral Jono

The effectiveness of a vaccine should be determined from clinical trials, which Sinovac has barely performed. This explains why they have yet to publish in a peer-reviewed journal, while other companies are actively investigating in the vaccine efficacy against various variants. Negative press is inevitable when you lack data to prove your claim.

Sinovac is better than nothing, and I understand why it is a no-brainer for less wealthy countries (especially under China's vaccine diplomacy). But when given the choice, Pfizer and Moderna are obviously better options especially for healthcare workers. It's frustrating to let a skeptical vaccine ruin the effort and endanger the healthcare system.
I don't disagree with any of your points, but China's vaccine diplomacy is not the whole story when it comes to less wealthy countries. Like AZ often the main reason is that their vaccines can be stored in a standard fridge, unlike Pfizer or Moderna which requires extreme subzero storage. For a country like Indonesia this is a huge deal. In any case I'd like to know what @Sky1981 has to say about this as a fellow Indonesian.

As for negative press unfortunately it goes both ways. Western media has the tendency to discredit Chinese vaccines; on the flip side, I also think China is fuelling some of the mRNA disinformation narratives out there. It's a sad situation all around.

Kopral Jono

SINOVAC IS GOOD VACCINE!

These are good numbers. Obviously nowhere near as good as mRNA vaccines, but if we're going to end this pandemic workhorses like AZ and Sinovac will be very important.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

You can claim China disguise / hide the report and data all you like, but you can't hide people queing in the hospital, people dying, and people falling sick en masse. Indonesian have none of the above, and if not for the stupid eid homecoming session it's all under control. So the vacinne actually works. Tens of Millions have used Sinovac, if there's something bogus about it you don't need to wait for China, the effect can already be seen on the field.

Indonesian have mainly relied upon Sinovac / Sinopharm plus a little bit of Aztra Zaneca (probably the problematci banned batch sold for cheap). Problem is, we're not a rich country, nobody gives a feck about us other than China. Pfizer/Moderna/JnJ/AZ are being prioritized for the west, good luck fighting for doses if you're not "extremely rich" or at least "valuable ally". At this moment we've vaccinated roughly all of our Old aged, 50+ and now starting to mass vaccinating 18+, all using SInovac.

I don't see Pfizer and co coming until the very least early 2022.

Regarding the bolded part, you're being petty and unfair. Thanks to them we're vaccinated. If we're to wait for the western aid (mercy) we'd be fecked by now.

Call it diplomacy, soft power, whatever, they send millions of vaccines. The west do not.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Got the vaccine first dose today. Almost fainted when I was in the waiting room after before leaving. Eyes completely blurred and glazed over and managed to stumble to the nurse before collapsing in a chair. Feel a bit better now but my arm is dead and I feel v tired. Pfizer.

Irwin99

Got the vaccine first dose today. Almost fainted when I was in the waiting room after before leaving. Eyes completely blurred and glazed over and managed to stumble to the nurse before collapsing in a chair. Feel a bit better now but my arm is dead and I feel v tired. Pfizer.
Same happened to me but i was sick in my mask twice. The vision fading and burning up of my skin was the scariest part.

Hope you feel better soon.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Same happened to me but i was sick in my mask twice. The vision fading and burning up of my skin was the scariest part.

Hope you feel better soon.
thanks mate. Hope you are feeling better now. Another lad fainted in the waiting area and that was a bit scary too. Might have to tell them before my 2nd that I was shaky and need to be kept an eye on.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
You should probably check with your doctor just in case, especially if your symptoms continue.

Irwin99

thanks mate. Hope you are feeling better now. Another lad fainted in the waiting area and that was a bit scary too. Might have to tell them before my 2nd that I was shaky and need to be kept an eye on.
I actually experienced the same thing a few weeks back when I had mine; a guy fainted in the room where the jabs were done and another guy was having a panic attack, both straight after having their jabs. I felt much better after being sick and was back to normal in a day or so but it was a strange experience.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You should probably check with your doctor just in case, especially if your symptoms continue.
yeah I spoke with them post vaccine and they said call 111 if it gets worse. It’s only been 12 hours since so if I feel terrible tomorrow too I’ll give them a ring.

decorativeed

This stuff is exactly what I expected to happen to me, but I was absolutely fine for the first time in my life getting an injection. Because of that, I got the docs to prescribe me a tranquilliser, but I'm fairly sure it kicked in afterwards, because I felt like I'd had 5 pints by the time I got home! Maybe worth asking what your GP can do for you before you go for your second dose.

Baxter

I got a positive test on Thursday, a day before my first dose of the vaccine, after being deemed a close contact to a friend who was positive. Was a bit under the weather the last couple of days but feeling pretty grim today. Sore head and neck being the worst and just feeling pretty run down.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I got a positive test on Thursday, a day before my first dose of the vaccine, after being deemed a close contact to a friend who was positive. Was a bit under the weather the last couple of days but feeling pretty grim today. Sore head and neck being the worst and just feeling pretty run down.
What shitty timing. I hope that's nearly the worst and you turn the corner soon.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Get well soon

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Interesting anecdotal news from the Sydney outbreak from the NSW Health Minister in terms of how infectious the delta strain can be an how important vaccination is.

To emphasise just how important vaccinations are, I remind the community that we had a party that was reported at West Hoxton earlier in this outbreak.

I can report that, of the more than 30 people that were at that party, 24 of those people are now positive for Covid-19. And not one of those 24 people were vaccinated.

I could also advise that six health workers who attended that party, who were fully vaccinated, not one of those people has been infected with the Covid-19 virus.

I can also report that there was one aged care worker at the party, who had had the first dose, and that aged care worker was also not infected at the party.

decorativeed

My wife has just woken up next to me with a self isolate for 6 days notification. What do I have to do now? Do the same, or take myself off to another room for the 6 days? I can't go anywhere else.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
My wife has just woken up next to me with a self isolate for 6 days notification. What do I have to do now? Do the same, or take myself off to another room for the 6 days? I can't go anywhere else.
She has to stay home etc. You don't, unless she develops symptoms.

Best if you don't have visitors etc and that you also avoid unnecessary contact with other people during her self-isolate period. As for heading to another room - well you can if you like, but it's probably too late now. Have you/her been vaccinated?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...te-by-nhs-test-and-trace-or-the-covid-19-app/

decorativeed

She has to stay home etc. You don't, unless she develops symptoms.

Best if you don't have visitors etc and that you also avoid unnecessary contact with other people during her self-isolate period. As for heading to another room - well you can if you like, but it's probably too late now. Have you/her been vaccinated?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...te-by-nhs-test-and-trace-or-the-covid-19-app/
I thought as much, thanks. I'll stay away from the office to be on the safe side, and I don't need to go out for anything else. We've gone into separate rooms anyway now.

We've both only had one dose, mine probably hasn't kicked in yet, it's been less than 21 days. So just have to hope that taking brews up every 5 minutes is the worst of it!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I actually experienced the same thing a few weeks back when I had mine; a guy fainted in the room where the jabs were done and another guy was having a panic attack, both straight after having their jabs. I felt much better after being sick and was back to normal in a day or so but it was a strange experience.
Very much so. I think a mix of the anxiety of getting a jab plus the effects of the jab exhausted me entirely.
Sorry to hear this, SW. I hope you feel much better after you've slept. x
This stuff is exactly what I expected to happen to me, but I was absolutely fine for the first time in my life getting an injection. Because of that, I got the docs to prescribe me a tranquilliser, but I'm fairly sure it kicked in afterwards, because I felt like I'd had 5 pints by the time I got home! Maybe worth asking what your GP can do for you before you go for your second dose.
Tired + dead arm after Pfizer would be very normal. Should only last 24 hours or so. Can take a day or two after the jab to kick in.
Thanks all. I feel much better in terms of my body and general health today. Arm is still sore and I was sweating through most of the night but I think that helped a bit. Must have been one of the unlucky few to react bad to it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Thanks all. I feel much better in terms of my body and general health today. Arm is still sore and I was sweating through most of the night but I think that helped a bit. Must have been one of the unlucky few to react bad to it.
Probably a sign you had a good immune response.

decorativeed

Very much so. I think a mix of the anxiety of getting a jab plus the effects of the jab exhausted me entirely.

Don't forget your feeling of anxiety and sickness may also be attributed to those Benitez rumours, and nothing to do with the vaccination!

hmchan

You can claim China disguise / hide the report and data all you like, but you can't hide people queing in the hospital, people dying, and people falling sick en masse. Indonesian have none of the above, and if not for the stupid eid homecoming session it's all under control. So the vacinne actually works. Tens of Millions have used Sinovac, if there's something bogus about it you don't need to wait for China, the effect can already be seen on the field.

Indonesian have mainly relied upon Sinovac / Sinopharm plus a little bit of Aztra Zaneca (probably the problematci banned batch sold for cheap). Problem is, we're not a rich country, nobody gives a feck about us other than China. Pfizer/Moderna/JnJ/AZ are being prioritized for the west, good luck fighting for doses if you're not "extremely rich" or at least "valuable ally". At this moment we've vaccinated roughly all of our Old aged, 50+ and now starting to mass vaccinating 18+, all using SInovac.

I don't see Pfizer and co coming until the very least early 2022.

Regarding the bolded part, you're being petty and unfair. Thanks to them we're vaccinated. If we're to wait for the western aid (mercy) we'd be fecked by now.

Call it diplomacy, soft power, whatever, they send millions of vaccines. The west do not.
Multiple countries (e.g. Chile) recorded a rising case number after commencement of Sinovac vaccination, which were opposite to those regions using other vaccines. Now we have hundreds of vaccinated healthcare workers being infected, some require hospitalization. Aren't these reports sufficient to question the effectiveness of the vaccine, especially when the company refuses to formally publish data?

Of course the vaccine works. Like I've repeated again and again, Sinovac is better than nothing and I fully understand why it is a promising option (or the only option) for less wealthy countries. I don't blame them. I would have done the same if I were in the same position. What I'm accusing are those irresponsible companies, which fail to conduct a proper clinical trial and have no intention to perform follow-up study. They, together with the Chinese government, define a new low standard in the approval of medical intervention. It's pathetic to see people have to use unknown sources to support a vaccine, like @George Owen in #58210.

Imagine hundreds of healthcare workers, who thought they were protected, are actually infective and continue to serve patients, including the immunocompromised? It's more than fair to say the healthcare system is endangered. These underperforming vaccines, together with underperforming diagnostic kits, may be regarded as life-savers in the short term. But in the long run, they are the major obstacles in ending this pandemic.

decorativeed

Multiple countries (e.g. Chile) recorded a rising case number after commencement of Sinovac vaccination, which were opposite to those regions using other vaccines. Now we have hundreds of vaccinated healthcare workers being infected, some require hospitalization. Aren't these reports sufficient to question the effectiveness of the vaccine, especially when the company refuses to formally publish data?

Of course the vaccine works. Like I've repeated again and again, Sinovac is better than nothing and I fully understand why it is a promising option (or the only option) for less wealthy countries. I don't blame them. I would have done the same if I were in the same position. What I'm accusing are those irresponsible companies, which fail to conduct a proper clinical trial and have no intention to perform follow-up study. They, together with the Chinese government, define a new low standard in the approval of medical intervention. It's pathetic to see people have to use unknown sources to support a vaccine, like @George Owen in #58210.

Imagine hundreds of healthcare workers, who thought they were protected, are actually infective and continue to serve patients, including the immunocompromised? It's more than fair to say the healthcare system is endangered. These underperforming vaccines, together with underperforming diagnostic kits, may be regarded as life-savers in the short term. But in the long run, they are the major obstacles in ending this pandemic.
Sadly, there will be health care workers all over the world being infected despite having been vaccinated, whichever vaccine they've had, as none are 100 efficient. My friend is a nurse here in the UK and she recently had it, despite being fully vaccinated.

Bwuk

Wouldn’t wish this virus on anyone. My girlfriend and I are both positive, and I’m completely floored. I can’t leave my bed. She’s been able to so far deal with our 2 year old son but is getting worse. Not sure what we’ll do.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Wouldn’t wish this virus on anyone. My girlfriend and I are both positive, and I’m completely floored. I can’t leave my bed. She’s been able to so far deal with our 2 year old son but is getting worse. Not sure what we’ll do.
I wish you and your girlfriend a speedy recovery.

As far as I am concerned, I am of those who wish the worst to my worst enemies.