SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That should’ve been corrected immediately & via some official statement not Twitter. It’s hard enough dealing with loonies who believe this whole thing is a hoax without such mistakes being made.

If they’ve got the data, they should detail how many of the 40% are double vaxxed.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Even if he got it wrong which can happen in heat of the moment 40% is still significantly higher than what I was expecting for double vaxxed people especially if current hospital admissions are signficantly higher in under 50s currently.

Not good. Of course worse case was always a variant that could elude vaccines but not far off that. While vaccines were never sold obviously as preventing anyone ever getting covid again, I take it those being admitted to hosptial still are either at serious risk of dying or have seen significant health issues crop up rather than just rough it out at home? So percentage looks way too high when thought was being double vaxxed would give the resilience needed so interested how many who've been doubled jabbed since say February are now ending up on ventilators so less than a six month period and what ages they all are.

Get the feeling this will set back everything another 6-12 months while we jab and jab again and wait for results and hopefully eventually covid will mutate into far more manageable disease.

Bosws87

Even if he got it wrong which can happen in heat of the moment 40% is still significantly higher than what I was expecting for double vaxxed people especially if current hospital admissions are signficantly higher in under 50s currently.

Not good. Of course worse case was always a variant that could elude vaccines but not far off that. While vaccines were never sold obviously as preventing anyone ever getting covid again, I take it those being admitted to hosptial still are either at serious risk of dying or have seen significant health issues crop up rather than just rough it out at home? So percentage looks way too high when thought was being double vaxxed would give the resilience needed so interested how many who've been doubled jabbed since say February are now ending up on ventilators so less than a six month period and what ages they all are.

Get the feeling this will set back everything another 6-12 months while we jab and jab again and wait for results and hopefully eventually covid will mutate into far more manageable disease.
Not really because if we were all jabbed there would be 100% double vaccinated in hospitals, its a very small number, 40% of a very small number.

If 4/5% of cases end up hospitalized might even be less now then 40% of that is miniscule.

decorativeed

His figure doesn't specify double jabbed or single jabbed. Could be talking 99% / 1% either way with the vague category of 'vaccinated' he's used.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not really because if we were all jabbed there would be 100% double vaccinated in hospitals, its a very small number, 40% of a very small number.

If 4/5% of cases end up hospitalized might even be less now then 40% of that is miniscule.
I’d really like to know the age profile of the hospitalisations. Thinking back to previous waves the vast vast majority were elderly. And that’s a cohort which really is 100% vaccinated. Or very close to it anyway.

However we’ve always known vaccine efficacy is at its lowest in the elderly. That’s the case with every vaccine ever. So the combination of the least effective vaccine in the most likely to get very unwell was always going to end up with a lot of vaccinated people in hospitals.

Tibs

For the first time since the OG Lockdown, the train home was properly packed, and strangers sitting next to each other on the train...masks still being worn by a significant portion.

But strangers sitting together just seemed so out...I spread out to make sure nobody sat with me haha

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
FFS doofus!! Where are his understudy lackeys that are supposed to be monitoring these mishaps? Free money wages.

No wonder he was sounding positive when giving the talk. Though, on a sidenote, he might have caused some unnecessary hard ons for a minority of negative ninnies that were 'loving' those figures momentarily. :p

MUFC OK

I don't like this sentiment and worry it's a slippery slope. Even if you think anti vaxxers are stupid, I don't like the idea of the government coercing people into taking the vaccine.
Lack of trust in govt is definitely driving vaccine scepticism. From Twitter here are clearly many people (perhaps a vocal minority) who are clearly opposed to taking a vaccine at all - the majority of which have flags in their name and a photo of their pet as their profile pic.

I honestly think they believe that the vaccination programme is some sort of government led genocide linked to population control. Absolute madness.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’d really like to know the age profile of the hospitalisations. Thinking back to previous waves the vast vast majority were elderly. And that’s a cohort which really is 100% vaccinated. Or very close to it anyway.

However we’ve always known vaccine efficacy is at its lowest in the elderly. That’s the case with every vaccine ever. So the combination of the least effective vaccine in the most likely to get very unwell was always going to end up with a lot of vaccinated people in hospitals.
In Australia ICU/ventilated patients in this Delta outbreak has been spread across age groups far more than before. There is a real suspicion that kids are getting it and spreading it more as well although not necessarily getting worse symptoms. . Hard to be certain with such small sample sizes of course.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....stablish-recall-responses-to-reinfection.aspx

I could be wrong but is this the first research confirming B and T cell responses generated by mRNA vaccines? Very positive if true
I have read a few things that are very encouraging.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6529/eabf4063

and

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...stablish-recall-responses-to-reinfection.aspx

which is referencing

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.14.452381v1

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And of the 40% I'd bet that the vast majority haven't had both shots or got covid straight after getting the second shot. Odds are that not many have had 2 shots a significant length of time before becoming infected and most who did are old with poor immune systems.

Here at least:

Median age of cases: 29
Hospitalisation: 52 (i did read elsewhere that its 35 in one region)
ICU: 63
Death: 78

Median age of cases and hospitalisations is dropping rapidly, but the age of the serious cases is changing much more slowly.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You dont need too much data to know that vacinne doesnt mean you cant get infected. That much is too obvious.

And if vacinne aren't 100% effective, opening full freedom is not a good prospect.

At least maintain basic health protocols, instead of going no mask is allowed.

tomaldinho1

Yes, this is the most important thing. If that 60% is middle aged and older folks who haven't been vaccinated, it makes a huge amount of sense but if that's younger people getting hospitalised it's very worrying, regardless of the fact they haven't been vaccinated.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

The overall hospitalisation data gets split as U50/50+ and lags behind some of the other data they collate.

This chart is Delta only and it only covers cases until 21st June. England opened the national booking system to the 50+ group in mid-March. Most Delta cases are May/June - the 60-65s were about 90% double vaxxed by then, and the over 70s were around 95%+.

Some health authorities etc have given more recent data since then. Generally the hospitalisations are skewing younger than before, with (of course) a disproportionate number of unvaxxed over 40s. One stat I did read (not sure which report it came from) is that the average age of a covid death is now 70, down from 82 in the last wave - which bizarrely enough is good news. If you're vaccinated.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nearly 100 deaths in today's figures but maybe due to a backlog in reporting as it's quite a jump.

Have we seen any estimates on what deaths could reach in 4/6 weeks? If we are at 100 already, it’s not inconceivable to think it could reach 1000 again for example? Or is the expectation that it will run out of places for transmission and die back way back down again?

Suv666

I don't like this sentiment and worry it's a slippery slope. Even if you think anti vaxxers are stupid, I don't like the idea of the government coercing people into taking the vaccine.
You're right we have to stop the government for forcing us to stop deaths. Madness. First its vaccine then its the Gulag. Act now or live in servitude forever.

saivet

You're right we have to stop the government for forcing us to stop deaths. Madness. First its vaccine then its the Gulag. Act now or live in servitude forever.
Ultimately it's the unvaccinated people that are likely to suffer most? If they don't want to take a vaccine I think they should have every right to make that choice without it limiting their social freedom.

Suv666

Ultimately it's the unvaccinated people that are likely to suffer most? If they don't want to take a vaccine I think they should have every right to make that choice without it limiting their social freedom.
Yes its their own body they should be allowed to infect others freely. I'd rather my grandad dies with Covid then let some government try to keep me safe from a worldwide pandemic that has killed millions and caused unspeakable hardships.
Sorry old people I choose freedom.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No because those idiots transmit it to other people and with vaccines not being 100% effective we need absolutely everybody (unless medically incapable) to be vaccinated to stop it continuing to spread and mutate.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
That makes sense. Make the unvaccinated to sign a waiver on their healthcare rights, so they can't seek public funded medical help when they fell ill.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The overall hospitalisation data gets split as U50/50+ and lags behind some of the other data they collate.

This chart is Delta only and it only covers cases until 21st June. England opened the national booking system to the 50+ group in mid-March. Most Delta cases are May/June - the 60-65s were about 90% double vaxxed by then, and the over 70s were around 95%+.

Some health authorities etc have given more recent data since then. Generally the hospitalisations are skewing younger than before, with (of course) a disproportionate number of unvaxxed over 40s. One stat I did read (not sure which report it came from) is that the average age of a covid death is now 70, down from 82 in the last wave - which bizarrely enough is good news. If you're vaccinated.
Thanks. Anecdotal data only but I’m hearing from friends working in hospitals that vaccinated admissions tend to be much shorter than unvaccinated. So even though they’re ending up in hospital they’re still getting some protection.

I guess deaths will ultimately be the most useful way to compare outcomes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mentioned it in another thread but my workplace did remarkably well during the first two waves, we probably had 2-3 people off with covid. People even remarked that it can’t be that serious as no one at work has it :rolleyes: .

The last two weeks we have had about 20 off with covid, including two this week already.

saivet

Yes its their own body they should be allowed to infect others freely. I'd rather my grandad dies with Covid then let some government try to keep me safe from a worldwide pandemic that has killed millions and caused unspeakable hardships.
Sorry old people I choose freedom.
The indications are that the vaccines do not prevent transmission. Given around 90% of adults have had at least one dose and 66% have had both doses.

I'm not sure why there is a deviation from the non-double vaccinated requiring a negative test.

decorativeed

The indications are that the vaccines do not prevent transmission . Given around 90% of adults have had at least one dose and 66% have had both doses.

I'm not sure why there is a deviation from the non-double vaccinated requiring a negative test.
Wrong.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/yes-vaccines-block-most-transmission-of-covid-19

https://www.verywellhealth.com/cdc-study-covid-19-transmission-vaccines-5121080

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-05-evidence-covid-vaccines-transmission.html

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I mentioned it in another thread but my workplace did remarkably well during the first two waves, we probably had 2-3 people off with covid. People even remarked that it can’t be that serious as no one at work has it :rolleyes: .

The last two weeks we have had about 20 off with covid, including two this week already.
Came into work today and my area is 1 of the lads daughters getting a positive test away from us all being off for a week and potentially getting tested

saivet

Isn't this all about reducing transmission rather than outright preventing it? Being double vaccinated will reduce the chances but it doesn't mean you can't be infected or pass on your infection to others.