SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Surely the app is there so that they automate the system and to alleviate the need to hire hundreds of staff to phone people. It's got to be powered by the same systems, no?
I think it's not legally enforceable because the "ping" is based on bluetooth-roaming contact, whereas the NHS Track and Trace requires someone to personally identify those they were in close contact with.

Also, for anyone who can't have/doesn't have the app for whatever reason, it would make having it's notifications legally binding pretty tricky.

I could be wrong, but all I know is that if you get a "ping" you are not legally obliged to isolate. Of course, you absolutely should, but as I was alluding to in regards to the above post, there are surely other things in people's lives that are more pressing/dangerous.

Jericholyte2

My son had a case in his class and had to isolate till today. As my kids live with their mother, it means I couldn't see them. The week before that my wife had to isolate, which meant the kids couldn't stay with us. Now that my son's isolation has ended, literally within hours, my daughter has been told to isolate because of a case in her class, just days before the school breaks up for the summer. So that's at least another week I can't see them.

So the only thing I can do is Skype them. I just rang then, and who's wandering around in the background but their 80 year old grandfather!

I don't like not being able to see my children, but I know I'm doing the right thing by them and everyone else I come into contact with. It's clear that that side of the family couldn't give a shit. This whole pandemic is being prolonged by selfish, idiotic behaviour like this.
Children living with parents in two households are able to visit both parents in both houses whilst self-isolating. I’ll find the part of the report ASAP but I had to help my friend with this about 6 months ago.

Edit 1: Here’s the link to the document with answers about this. https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8901/

Edit 2: The specific guidance:

In response to the initial UK Government guidance issued in March 2020, the President of the Family Division of the High Court (England and Wales) noted that the guidance does not mean that children must move between homes, the decision being one for parents to take after assessing their circumstances (bold original):
Government guidance issued alongside the Stay at Home Rules on 23rd March deals specifically with child contact arrangements. It says:
“Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ homes.”
This establishes an exception to the mandatory ‘stay at home’ requirement; it does not, however, mean that children must be moved between homes. The decision whether a child is to move between parental homes is for the child’s parents to make after a sensible assessment of the circumstances, including the child’s present health, the risk of infection and the presence of any recognised vulnerable individuals in one household or the other.2
The guidance from the Family Division has not since been updated.
Guidance issued by the Governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland states that where parents do not live in the same household, children can be moved between their parents’ homes.

Tibs

Dreading the trains from tomorrow...going to be wearing my masks on them, and in any busy indoor areas

decorativeed

In your case, interesting to see people at risk (grandparents) are more risk-taker and independent thinker so more inclined to follow their personal rules.
You say 'interesting', I say infuriating. If they catch it, and end up in hospital or worse, my kids could grow up blaming themselves for their grandparent's idiocy. I'd like to be the adult in their lives who sets a good example and teaches them about responsibility, even when it means having to make sacrifices, such as not being able to be with your loved ones.

decorativeed

Children living with parents in two households are able to visit both parents in both houses whilst self-isolating. I’ll find the part of the report ASAP but I had to help my friend with this about 6 months ago.

Edit 1: Here’s the link to the document with answers about this. https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8901/

Edit 2: The specific guidance:

In response to the initial UK Government guidance issued in March 2020, the President of the Family Division of the High Court (England and Wales) noted that the guidance does not mean that children must move between homes, the decision being one for parents to take after assessing their circumstances (bold original):
Government guidance issued alongside the Stay at Home Rules on 23rd March deals specifically with child contact arrangements. It says:
“Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ homes.”
This establishes an exception to the mandatory ‘stay at home’ requirement; it does not, however, mean that children must be moved between homes. The decision whether a child is to move between parental homes is for the child’s parents to make after a sensible assessment of the circumstances, including the child’s present health, the risk of infection and the presence of any recognised vulnerable individuals in one household or the other.2
The guidance from the Family Division has not since been updated.
Guidance issued by the Governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland states that where parents do not live in the same household, children can be moved between their parents’ homes.
Yeah, none of that mentions isolating. It's the general guidance through lockdown, which is how we dealt with the kids then.

The difference is also that I'm not living on my own. Therefore, my seeing my kids while they are isolating impacts on my wife. I could easily make sure that I went out and saw my kids and went nowhere else while they were isolating, and worked from home throughout. My wife could not do that, so would potentially be spreading to virus on her commute and in her office.

decorativeed

I think it's not legally enforceable because the "ping" is based on bluetooth-roaming contact, whereas the NHS Track and Trace requires someone to personally identify those they were in close contact with.

Also, for anyone who can't have/doesn't have the app for whatever reason, it would make having it's notifications legally binding pretty tricky.

I could be wrong, but all I know is that if you get a "ping" you are not legally obliged to isolate. Of course, you absolutely should, but as I was alluding to in regards to the above post, there are surely other things in people's lives that are more pressing/dangerous.
Oh, I know the loopholes are unbelievable, but I thought both an app notification and a contact by test and trace were both enforceable. Still, this is what you get when you only spend £12 billion eh! A total shambles that nobody but a minority take seriously.

mikey_d

So my girlfriend is due to have a doctor check a potentially (though hopefully not) cancerous mole this coming week. She’s just been pinged, however, so will have to reschedule for the following week. Another week of worry.. but I understand the need for this system.

It’s just very upsetting seeing Johnson & co. go against the system with little or no consequence, when people like my girlfriend (and those, I’m sure, in far worse circumstances) have to suffer as a result. :(
You can go to urgent medical appointments, it depends if it would be classified as this or not. I would suggest speaking to the gp, some are even set up to receive pictures of things like this. If there is a suspicion of cancer then it’s definitely urgent and being seen shouldn’t be delayed

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Went to my local supermarket just now & about 60% people were masked up, which was more than I expected. However, most old people were unmasked, which is disappointing as they should be the most careful.

Adamsk7

Went to my local supermarket just now & about 60% people were masked up, which was more than I expected. However, most old people were unmasked, which is disappointing as they should be the most careful.
Exactly what I saw today in my local supermarket too. Probably 70% masked however most of the unmasked were 60+

Quite encouraging overall although this is only day one. Perhaps enthusiasm to stick to recommendations will wane.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Mask uptake is generally really good still in Dublin, but yeah, it's usually auld people who either don't have them or don't have their nose covered. I guess you have to give them the benefit of the doubt though, maybe they have respiratory issues.

Get a few young total scummers who don't mask up either though and parade around like they're legends for not doing it. Standard stuff.

decorativeed

Mask uptake is generally really good still in Dublin, but yeah, it's usually auld people who either don't have them or don't have their nose covered. I guess you have to give them the benefit of the doubt though, maybe they have respiratory issues.

Get a few young total scummers who don't mask up either though and parade around like they're legends for not doing it . Standard stuff.
I've noticed throughout the pandemic that some people believe that sleeve tattoos, gym bodies and high-vis vests make you invulnerable to covid.

Sparky Rhiwabon

With social distancing and mask rules gone there were some big queues for Nightclubs in London coming up to midnight last night, queuing round the block. Anyone go to a club? Mind you, probably still be in bed now if so

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
With social distancing and mask rules gone there were some big queues for Nightclubs in London coming up to midnight last night, queuing round the block. Anyone go to a club? Mind you, probably still be in bed now if so
If you only caught covid count yourself lucky. A few will be waking up with itchy bits, regret and maybe more.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Spent half the day in Central London so far. Mask uptake, specially when walking into any building (coffee shops, sandwich bars, etc), is surprisingly very high. Among all age groups. I would say 80% or even above. Even on the tubes its 80% or higher again.

I'll be in the City next on Thursday. Should be a good time to compare the enthusiasm.

Edit: disappointed I missed the nightclubbing. :mad:

Santos J

Double-jabbed requirement for nightclubs and 'large events' from September now in the UK. No negative test exemption.

decorativeed

Double-jabbed requirement for nightclubs and 'large events' from September now in the UK. No negative test exemption.
Great, so the clubbers have got a month and a bit of non-stop super-spreader events to look forward to. What a country we are!

LARulz

Daily Mail and Express readers are going to go mental. Love it

But still ridiculous that he is being so reckless with all this still and delaying everything just so he can blame the public for his own stupidity

tomaldinho1

Spent half the day in Central London so far. Mask uptake, specially when walking into any building (coffee shops, sandwich bars, etc), is surprisingly very high. Among all age groups. I would say 80% or even above. Even on the tubes its 80% or higher again.

I'll be in the City next on Thursday. Should be a good time to compare the enthusiasm.

Edit: disappointed I missed the nightclubbing. :mad:
My morning and commute in was like this (around Bank) but afternoon and % with masks on is much much lower. Feel like it being a lovely day isn't helping!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
My morning and commute in was like this (around Bank) but afternoon and % with masks on is much much lower. Feel like it being a lovely day isn't helping!
Yep, saw the same just now going home. Masks won't last long now.

Adamsk7

He’s right though - of course more double vaxxed people are going to be hospitalised just by the nature of there being a LOT more double vaxxed than unvaccinated. Vaccines are very good at keeping people out of hospital but not a guarantee and I’m sure that as it goes up the age groups your risk increases as it did before we had a single jab in arms.

saivet

I don't like this sentiment and worry it's a slippery slope. Even if you think anti vaxxers are stupid, I don't like the idea of the government coercing people into taking the vaccine.