SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Bosws87

Last day of isolation tomorrow my brother has Covid, i know we are being told it spreads easier then ever the Delta version, but in reality without being overly cautious 9 days in and no one else has caught it or showing symptoms.

I'm no doctor but it would appear in a normal environment it needs some very close contact, either way i'm just glad i haven't ended up in a non stop cycle 10 days as another person catches it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Last day of isolation tomorrow my brother has Covid, i know we are being told it spreads easier then ever the Delta version, but in reality without being overly cautious 9 days in and no one else has caught it or showing symptoms.

I'm no doctor but it would appear in a normal environment it needs some very close contact, either way i'm just glad i haven't ended up in a non stop cycle 10 days as another person catches it.
It seems random as hell how it transmits tbh, the Mrs had it and was isolating in a house with 5 others and nobody else caught it.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Similar findings in Italy to the USA on fully-vaccinated versus unvaccinated/not fully-vaccinated deaths from Covid. In six months there have been 35,776 deaths, only 423 were completely vaccinated and they were on average older with more pre-existing health issues.
Almost 99 percent of people who have died of Covid in Italy since February this year hadn't fully completed the vaccination cycle, the Higher Health Institute (ISS) reported on Tuesday.

In a study by Italy’s public health body on Covid-related deaths over the past six months, it was also revealed that deaths among those fully vaccinated were older on average than those who died without completing the vaccination cycle. The figure stands at 88.6 years of age versus 80. In the ISS’s periodic report on deaths, those dying from Covid-19 while fully vaccinated also had more pre-existing health problems, according to the findings.

The ISS gives two possible explanations for the results.

“Very elderly patients with numerous diseases may have a reduced immune response and therefore be susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection and its complications despite having been vaccinated,” stated the report.

And secondly, they pointed to the fact that priority for vaccination was given to the oldest and most vulnerable people. That means this section of the population had the highest vaccination coverage when they performed the study.

Up until July 21st, there were 423 SARS-COV-2 positive deaths in those who had a “complete vaccination cycle”, representing 1.2 percent of all Covid positive deaths since February 1st. Out of those 423, the ISS sampled 70 medical records and found that the average number of underlying health problems among those vaccinated was 5.0, compared with 3.7 in unvaccinated Covid deaths.

There were a total of 35,776 deaths from the virus in the timeframe of the study.
https://www.thelocal.it/20210728/italy-says-99-percent-of-covid-deaths-werent-fully-vaccinated/

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Similar findings in Italy to the USA on fully-vaccinated versus unvaccinated/not fully-vaccinated deaths from Covid. In six months there have been 35,776 deaths, only 423 were completely vaccinated and they were on average older with more pre-existing health issues.

https://www.thelocal.it/20210728/italy-says-99-percent-of-covid-deaths-werent-fully-vaccinated/
On the other hand, some findings come out of the US that while they’re still very effective at preventing symptoms, they don’t seem as effective at preventing transmission…
In yet another unexpected and unwelcome twist in the nation’s pandemic, fully immunized people with so-called breakthrough infections of the Delta variant may spread the virus to others just as easily as unvaccinated people, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a report published on Friday.

The vaccines remain powerfully effective against severe illness and death, and infections in vaccinated people are thought to be comparatively rare. But the revelation follows a series of other findings this week about the Delta variant, all of which have upended scientists’ understanding of the coronavirus.

In the report published on Friday, the agency described a single outbreak in Provincetown, Mass., that quickly mushroomed to nearly 469 cases in the state as of Thursday, three-quarters of whom were fully immunized.

An internal agency document, which was obtained on Thursday night by The New York Times, raised even more harrowing questions about the virus and its trajectory. Taken together, the data gathered by the C.D.C. throw into question the country’s plans to return to offices and schools this fall, and revive difficult questions about masking, testing and other precautions that Americans had hoped were behind them.

Most immediately, the research informed the agency’s decision this week to advise even vaccinated Americans to resume wearing masks in indoor public areas in communities where the virus is surging.

Even the vaccinated carry high virus levels if they become infected, the agency concluded, making it likely they can transmit the virus as often as the unvaccinated. If so, they may be contributing to increases in new infections — although probably to a far lesser degree than the unvaccinated.

“We spent so much time and energy and treasure trying to figure out this damn virus last year, and how it works and all the things it does,” said Dr. Robert Wachter, chairman of the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.

Learning just how different the Delta variant is from the original virus is “just jarring,” he added. “The brain doesn’t like to keep being jerked around like this.”

Studies of outbreaks have shown that Delta is much more contagious than the original virus or the seasonal flu and as contagious as chickenpox, according to the internal document circulated within the C.D.C.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Wondering if anyone can help me out.

With the news yesterday that the government is now advising pregnant women to have the vaccine my wife is understandably stressed about what is the right thing to do for her and the baby. She is 21 weeks pregnant so heading towards the 3rd trimester which is when most complications happen. However, her biggest concern is that the baby could have side effects long term from the vaccine.

I believe (from bits picked up from different studies) that due to how the vaccine works mRNA has less risks than say a live vaccine, but I'm struggling to word it correctly to allay her fears. I know there are some much more knowledgeable posters than me around on here, so has anyone read studies with actual data regarding the vaccine or the make up of the vaccine and why it's not likely to cause problems further down the line.

Lj82

With the news yesterday that the government is now advising pregnant women to have the vaccine my wife is understandably stressed about what is the right thing to do for her and the baby. She is 21 weeks pregnant so heading towards the 3rd trimester which is when most complications happen. However, her biggest concern is that the baby could have side effects long term from the vaccine.

I believe (from bits picked up from different studies) that due to how the vaccine works mRNA has less risks than say a live vaccine, but I'm struggling to word it correctly to allay her fears. I know there are some much more knowledgeable posters than me around on here, so has anyone read studies with actual data regarding the vaccine or the make up of the vaccine and why it's not likely to cause problems further down the line.
Can't help you here, just want to express some support for you. Her concerns are understandable as she is carrying the baby and she would feel guilty if anything happens to the baby. Explaining the science to her is useful but might not be sufficient. Take it slow and don't rush her into a decision.

P-Nut

Can't help you here, just want to express some support for you. Her concerns are understandable as she is carrying the baby and she would feel guilty if anything happens to the baby. Explaining the science to her is useful but might not be sufficient. Take it slow and don't rush her into a decision.
Yeah I fully understand the worries and although I'm not skeptical of the vaccines in the slightest, I still have that same worry of the unknown, however as you say I can put my mind to rest by reading the science behind it, whereas it will likely take a bit more for the wife. Getting the science behind it is more for her anyway as she wants as much information as possible before making a decision.

mikey_d

If it helps I’m a doctor working in obstetrics and my pregnant partner has just had hers and I didn’t have any hesitancy whatsoever in her having it.

Reactions: golden_blunder

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@Wolverine @africanspur

I was asking you about guidance for UK HCPs who are close contacts a week or two ago. Here’s the Irish recommendations.

Seems pretty sensible and shows the importance of getting vaccinated. Ultimately we do need to run a service as well, its been close to impossible at times.

Quick question though, it differentiates between those who are PUI for variants of concern and those who are not. Has the situation in Ireland not reached the stage where delta is the most common variant? Are you guys sequencing everything that quickly that you immediately know whether someone is delta or not or am I missing something with that bit?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seems pretty sensible and shows the importance of getting vaccinated. Ultimately we do need to run a service as well, its been close to impossible at times.

Quick question though, it differentiates between those who are PUI for variants of concern and those who are not. Has the situation in Ireland not reached the stage where delta is the most common variant? Are you guys sequencing everything that quickly that you immediately know whether someone is delta or not or am I missing something with that bit?
No. You’re spot on. Every case here is delta now. And that guidance hasn’t caught up yet.

Parma Dewol

We experienced the same stress. My wife's 20 weeks pregnant with our first and we were very worried about whether or not to have the vaccine. Spoke to our midwife, spoke to our doctor, neither of which were decisive, but my wife works in a school and at the end of the day we decided that we'd rather take the vaccine than risk catching Covid proper.

She had her second Pfizer jab last week, and so far so good, no side effects other than the sore arm. Baby was looking fab on the 20-week scan, and though it's impossible to know what the future holds, we're pleased we've gotten it done and out the way. She now feels a bit safer at work and in everyday life. I've planned to take her for a week away later this month, and I don't think we'd have gone had we not both been fully vaccinated.

All that said, I know how worrying it was making the decision, so I would say don't put too much pressure on her; do what feels right for you. Wish you both all the best with your pregnancy.

P-Nut

We experienced the same stress. My wife's 20 weeks pregnant with our first and we were very worried about whether or not to have the vaccine. Spoke to our midwife, spoke to our doctor, neither of which were decisive, but my wife works in a school and at the end of the day we decided that we'd rather take the vaccine than risk catching Covid proper.

She had her second Pfizer jab last week, and so far so good, no side effects other than the sore arm. Baby was looking fab on the 20-week scan, and though it's impossible to know what the future holds, we're pleased we've gotten it done and out the way. She now feels a bit safer at work and in everyday life. I've planned to take her for a week away later this month, and I don't think we'd have gone had we not both been fully vaccinated.

All that said, I know how worrying it was making the decision, so I would say don't put too much pressure on her; do what feels right for you. Wish you both all the best with your pregnancy.
Yeah I've basically given her my opinion, but told her I'll back her decision 100% as at the end of the day it's her body that's carrying the child so I'm not going to dictate to her what to do.

ArjenIsM3

Woke up with a sore throat and a headache this morning for the first time in years. Got tested at noon (first time). Results can take up to 48h so self isolating untill then. Fingers crossed it's not covid. Am not fully vaccinated yet (had first shot of moderna 3 weeks ago)

Dan_F

Woke up with a sore throat and a headache this morning for the first time in years. Got tested at noon (first time). Results can take up to 48h so self isolating untill then. Fingers crossed it's not covid. Am not fully vaccinated yet (had first shot of moderna 3 weeks ago)
Can you get hold of some lateral flow tests before then? Not the most reliable of course, but at least you might know what you’re dealing with if it is positive.

ArjenIsM3

Can you get hold of some lateral flow tests before then? Not the most reliable of course, but at least you might know what you’re dealing with if it is positive.
I'd have to ask the wife to fetch some but it wouldn't be before 6pm tomorrow at which point I hope to have the results back

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Honest question guys, as I'm starting to get a little bit pessimistic about the situation: Do you think life will be not as dominated by the virus in say 5 years from now? Before the vaccinations started, I thought it would at least mean serious improvement on a social level. Like people not being anxious about all this shit. But as it turns out, that isn't the case at all judging from my situation. I'm getting tired of it. While I obviously know the benefit of masks and am by no means against using them, I hate them. They feel completely wrong to me. When I was in the Netherlands last week, there's no mandatory mask rule in super markets. I saw that, went inside and felt completely wrong not wearing one, so I put it on anyway. And afterwards, I kind of felt bad for it. It's the right thing, yet it's sad that it actually is the right thing. And I fear this way of living will be standard from now on, no return to the "before normal" ever again in those regards. And I fecking hate it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Honest question guys, as I'm starting to get a little bit pessimistic about the situation: Do you think life will be not as dominated by the virus in say 5 years from now? Before the vaccinations started, I thought it would at least mean serious improvement on a social level. Like people not being anxious about all this shit. But as it turns out, that isn't the case at all judging from my situation. I'm getting tired of it. While I obviously know the benefit of masks and am by no means against using them, I hate them. They feel completely wrong to me. When I was in the Netherlands last week, there's no mandatory mask rule in super markets. I saw that, went inside and felt completely wrong not wearing one, so I put it on anyway. And afterwards, I kind of felt bad for it. It's the right thing, yet it's sad that it actually is the right thing. And I fear this way of living will be standard from now on, no return to the "before normal" ever again in those regards. And I fecking hate it.
Nah I think things will be pretty normal in a year's time, in most places. We'll live a little differently because things change, society's evolve and particular moments - usually tragedies - trigger that, but I don't despair for future normality at all.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Nah I think things will be pretty normal in a year's time, in most places. We'll live a little differently because things change, society's evolve and particular moments - usually tragedies - trigger that, but I don't despair for future normality at all.
Man that would be absolutely awesome and I hope you're right. With delta going around and the vaccination quotas stagnating, though, I feel like there's something coming at us.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
No posts in fourteen hours, only six in the last day. Case numbers continuing to fall in the UK.

Is it fair to say the outlook for the UK is pretty positive? And that it now appears that 'freedom day' hasn't had the disastrous impact that most of us expected it would, likely helped by the combined timing with school holidays?

djembatheking

No posts in fourteen hours, only six in the last day. Case numbers continuing to fall in the UK.

Is it fair to say the outlook for the UK is pretty positive? And that it now appears that 'freedom day' hasn't had the disastrous impact that most of us expected it would, likely helped by the combined timing with school holidays?
Yep , seems that way, the vaccines are doing a great job .

Widow

Isn't there a delay of 3/4 week between events and statistics? So we are a couple of weeks out from seeing the effects of 'freedom day' (ridiculous name BTW)

mav_9me

I think the path to "normal" is straight forward. Vaccination. We will get there.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
I think the path to "normal" is straight forward. Vaccination. We will get there.
I hope so! I always thought anti vaxxers are mostly an American problem, but that doesn’t seem to be right at all. People in Germany are just the same. Vaccination rate starts stagnating big time. No surprise the eastern parts of Germany have the lowest rate.
At least in my country, we won’t get 80%+ vaccination rate. And considering the politicians, there is no way they will try to boost that rate actively. I think we all are in for one hell of a ride.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Isn't there a delay of 3/4 week between events and statistics? So we are a couple of weeks out from seeing the effects of 'freedom day' (ridiculous name BTW)
Basically for Delta, symptoms (or positive PCR even if asymptomatic) appear about four days after infection. If we're lucky, people who caught it last weekend and developed symptoms didn't go out this weekend and we'll hear about their test results in the next couple of days.

Personally, I suspect the May 19 changes were the big ones for most people. We will hear about lots of super-spreader events (parties, weddings etc) but some of those infection chains will get cut short by vaccines and past infections. That might be enough to keep the national R rate at around/below 1 even if some local outbreaks turn nasty.

I also suspect that whereas some people will be interacting more, others will be reducing contact. There's still time to get more people vaccinated before autumn and schools/colleges restarting and doors/windows being closed against the weather.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
That's for hospitalisations - which are obviously still a concern. Cases we are seeing the data from much sooner than that.

Another week another new set of rules from the UK :lol:

@Penna they say Italy could be on this new amber watchlist, if you were hoping to travel back.

A new amber travel watchlist would be a "disaster" according to holiday industry experts, with Tory backbenchers and Labour also hitting out at the expected move.

The government is set to announce changes to the COVID travel system this week, including a new amber list of countries which could move to the red list with little warning.

Travellers returning to the UK from red list countries have to pay £1,750 to stay in hotel quarantine for 10 days.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...-among-countries-t-could-be-affected-12370547

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Another week another new set of rules from the UK :lol:

@Penna they say Italy could be on this new amber watchlist, if you were hoping to travel back.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...-among-countries-t-could-be-affected-12370547
Thanks for this - I think we're staying put for now, the uncertainty is just too complicated for us with our practical and logistical problems. We already missed my nephew's wedding and that was the thing we were aiming to get back for. We're having our bathroom done instead!

mav_9me

I hope so! I always thought anti vaxxers are mostly an American problem, but that doesn’t seem to be right at all. People in Germany are just the same. Vaccination rate starts stagnating big time. No surprise the eastern parts of Germany have the lowest rate.
At least in my country, we won’t get 80%+ vaccination rate. And considering the politicians, there is no way they will try to boost that rate actively. I think we all are in for one hell of a ride.
Either we get there via vaccinations or infections. Inevitable.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Either we get there via vaccinations or infections. Inevitable.
Mutated variants might make a difference here, right? All vaccines are not as effective against Delta as they are against the first version. If there's more evolution going on, we might just never really get there and medication would become even more important.

mav_9me

Mutated variants might make a difference here, right? All vaccines are not as effective against Delta as they are against the first version. If there's more evolution going on, we might just never really get there and medication would become even more important.
mRNA can be modified relatively easily.

We have a very poor record against viruses wrt medications