SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So far this week we've had the UK announce that double-vaxxed EU covid passport holders who've had a mixed dose pattern - like Angela Merkel who had one AZ and one Pfizer - don't count as fully vaxxed under the terms of the UK's amber "no-quarantine if you're vaxxed" country scheme. I suspect this is partly down to the EU and UK failing to agree to the general principle that the EU and UK passes are considered equivalents.

And now we've got countries playing "guess how long vaccines last" games with travel.

Honestly, vaccines and test technology should mean people are making travel simpler - not thinking up increasingly bizarre sub-clauses to make it more complex and more unreasonable.

lynchie

Good example of a “scariant” amounting to not very much. If you hadn’t seen the follow-up tweet this could have been a stressful bit of news to digest.
Original tweet 1400+ retweets
Correction 135 retweets

Honestly, could people who have built themselves such a big platform not have a bit of care before trying to create panic?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Correction 135 retweets

Honestly, could people who have built themselves such a big platform not have a bit of care before trying to create panic?
Yeah, it’s not good.

As Sam Harris is fond of saying, the best way to understand human behaviour is to look at the incentives. With even the most distinguished academics on Twitter motivated by getting the most engagement you can see how reality gets easily distorted when compare those retweet stats.

F-Red

Correction 135 retweets

Pagel is one of the worst I find for this kind of activity throughout the pandemic, I mentioned this a while ago on her:

Her commentary throughout this pandemic has always been a glass half empty though, so it does not surprise me that she’s picked up on this and not the more positive stories of hospitalisation stays being greatly reduced (both in admission and duration of stay). Thus a long term perspective of the health service being able to manage this better compared to previous waves.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Delta is hitting kids far more than before in our latest outbreak with nearly 10% in NSW and 26% in VIC being children. Not necessarily getting sicker but getting it far more often than with previous variants and it seems likely they are spreading it more often as well. AU is looking at authorising vaccination for all over 12's soon and I'd speculate maybe younger once the Pfizer and Modena trails finish.

NZ has 11 new cases and 3 of which are in Wellington - all others have been in Auckland I believe.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Delta is hitting kids far more than before in our latest outbreak with nearly 10% in NSW and 26% in VIC being children. Not necessarily getting sicker but getting it far more often than with previous variants and it seems likely they are spreading it more often as well. AU is looking at authorising vaccination for all over 12's soon and I'd speculate maybe younger once the Pfizer and Modena trails finish.
When does the trials finish roughly?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
When does the trials finish roughly?
I can't find anything on the Modena trials (so not sure I didn't misremember) but Pfiser have started and apparently,

NY Times said:
expects to have results for the 5-to-11-year-old group in September, with results for children aged 2 to 5 shortly after that. Results for the youngest children — 6 months to 2 years old — are expected in October or November.
Presumably regulatory approval would then need to be finalised.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/us/politics/fda-covid-vaccine-trials-children.html

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Had a bad headcold and hot/cold fever since yesterday morning and a couple others from a wedding I attended have the same but said they felt fine after a day. Had a tickley cough that worsened last night and now it have a pretty consistent dry cough. Tested negative three times in the last 48 hours though and just taken a fourth one. Got a PCR test on the way to be sure.

Edit: 4th test negative too.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Had a bad headcold and hot/cold fever since yesterday morning and a couple others from a wedding I attended have the same but said they felt fine after a day. Had a tickley cough that worsened last night and now it have a pretty consistent dry cough. Tested negative three times in the last 48 hours though and just taken a fourth one. Got a PCR test on the way to be sure.

Colds are still out there and I think they're probably worse than normal in some people, because we've not been getting our usual quota of them.

Good idea to take a PCR test though, despite the negative LFTs, there's plenty of covid around. Whatever it is, get well soon.

Tibs

I had/have a cold too, since last thursday.

But the other night, be ears blocked and I've been having a lot of pain...got a Dr appointment later, he said it can happen and the body will fight off, but I have to push to get seen. Mine isn't covid.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Definitely need a PCR. People use antigen tests wrong all the time. Should really only ever be used by people not feeling sick at all.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Definitely need a PCR. People use antigen tests wrong all the time. Should really only ever be used by people not feeling sick at all.
Yeah I’ve done it and sent it off. My friends have taken one too and it came back negative so hopefully just a cold.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah I’ve done it and sent it off. My friends have taken one too and it came back negative so hopefully just a cold.
Had exactly the same experience as yourself, sent mine off this morning.

I was at OT over the weekend and Lords for the Cricket on Monday - seems logical I may have picked it up.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Wasn't the wedding on Monday? Symptoms would hardly show that quick would they?
Yeah so it’s likely a cold considering I isolated before the wedding so I could make it. Quite a few of us seem to have it at this point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In the context of Ireland's vaccine uptake, I really don't understand what the idea is behind the seeming ultra-slow re-opening of live events. For example, 40,000 people attended a game at Croke Park on the weekend but if the stadium had been hosting a music gig instead then capacity would have been limited to 200-500 people. There's a massive logic gap there.

I mean granted, not having to see Kodaline is always a plus but even still....

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its quite amazing how even the most innocent of situations can turn out.
So currently in Auckland we have a strict lockdown. Stay in our own bubbles, stay within 1.5 kms of home for exercise etc.
I speak to my neighbour over the fence all the time, really good next door neighbours. We have been home this week since Tuesday when this latest outbreak kicked off. Later this afternoon he had trouble starting his car so i grabbed my jumper leads to get him started. Wasnt wearing a mask and didnt think anything of it. he has just rung my wife and I to tell us their sons school rang to say their son is a close contact of another schoolboy who has caught covid in this latest outbreak. That in turn because of that brief interaction means we have to self isolate and wait 5 days to be tested ( here testing is preferred on the 5th day from contact with someone possibly with covid) or if they get a negative result we are deemed to be clear.
Kind of surreal in a way.

Rajma

Its quite amazing how even the most innocent of situations can turn out.
So currently in Auckland we have a strict lockdown. Stay in our own bubbles, stay within 1.5 kms of home for exercise etc.
I speak to my neighbour over the fence all the time, really good next door neighbours. We have been home this week since Tuesday when this latest outbreak kicked off. Later this afternoon he had trouble starting his car so i grabbed my jumper leads to get him started. Wasnt wearing a mask and didnt think anything of it. he has just rung my wife and I to tell us their sons school rang to say their son is a close contact of another schoolboy who has caught covid in this latest outbreak. That in turn because of that brief interaction means we have to self isolate and wait 5 days to be tested ( here testing is preferred on the 5th day from contact with someone possibly with covid) or if they get a negative result we are deemed to be clear.
Kind of surreal in a way.
Hearing this almost rolls back the memories from spring 2020. In Europe we’re now living with the virus as normal due to high level of population now having been either exposed to covid, been vaccinated or both.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Hearing this almost rolls back the memories from spring 2020. In Europe we’re now living with the virus as normal due to high level of population now having been either exposed to covid, been vaccinated or both.
I heard on the news you have 90% of the population with at least 1 dose which is pretty impressive. Hopefully its working in making general life easier. Edit: I have assumed you are in the UK but suspect you arent.

Sparky Rhiwabon

So far this week we've had the UK announce that double-vaxxed EU covid passport holders who've had a mixed dose pattern - like Angela Merkel who had one AZ and one Pfizer - don't count as fully vaxxed under the terms of the UK's amber "no-quarantine if you're vaxxed" country scheme. I suspect this is partly down to the EU and UK failing to agree to the general principle that the EU and UK passes are considered equivalents.

And now we've got countries playing "guess how long vaccines last" games with travel.

Honestly, vaccines and test technology should mean people are making travel simpler - not thinking up increasingly bizarre sub-clauses to make it more complex and more unreasonable.
A lot of people seem to be assuming that once you’ve had two you’re good forever!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
@Massive Spanner

Ireland currently has second highest incidence of covid in Europe. Despite being much less open than most of the countries below us in that table. And having vaccination rates that are among the best by far. All of which explains why we’re less open then other countries. Far too many people not doing the right thing. Been our biggest problem throughout this pandemic.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

How come Croatia and Austria both came up with 270 days- presumably there's some research behind why they came up with this on the face of it arbitrary expiry date? Also they've set a blanket cut-off, regardless of which vaccine you've had?
Travelling is getting way more complex and expensive.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
How come Croatia and Austria both came up with 270 days- presumably there's some research behind why they came up with this on the face of it arbitrary expiry date? Also they've set a blanket cut-off, regardless of which vaccine you've had?
Travelling is getting way more complex and expensive.
Italy set an expiry date of 9 months when the green pass was launched here, which is also 270 days give or take a day. No idea how that figure came about.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Italy set an expiry date of 9 months when the green pass was launched here, which is also 270 days give or take a day. No idea how that figure came about.
I understand they err on the side of caution but if Pfizer says its vaccine is still 84% effective after six months, then they must be factoring in a massive potential drop off after nine months.

Not sure how much data there is on this across the different vaccines.

mav_9me

@Massive Spanner

Ireland currently has second highest incidence of covid in Europe. Despite being much less open than most of the countries below us in that table. And having vaccination rates that are among the best by far. All of which explains why we’re less open then other countries. Far too many people not doing the right thing. Been our biggest problem throughout this pandemic.
I dont know if that's the right approach though. How long can you stay less open even when 90% of your population (or a high number like that) is vaccinated?

golden_blunder

Staff
The contrast between our amazing compliance with vaccination and terrible compliance with social distancing is interesting. I think we’re just VERY sociable. Can’t cope without piling into pubs and house parties with mobs of strangers every weekend.
Being social is a nice way of saying as a country we don’t like drinking alone

golden_blunder

Staff

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I dont know if that's the right approach though. How long can you stay less open even when 90% of your population (or a high number like that) is vaccinated?
Nobody has any idea. I presume they were hoping for community spread to die down a bit before allowing even more mixing. Which is realistically not going to happen, with the kids back at school next week.

mav_9me

Nobody has any idea. I presume they were hoping for community spread to die down a bit before allowing even more mixing. Which is realistically not going to happen, with the kids back at school next week.
Exactly. I am surprised that's the official plan.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It looks like Italy and Croatia (and probably elsewhere) are similar pulling figures out of their arse.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
So I have another question for the experts here as we’re confused in my house!

Both my daughters and I have had Covid recently taking positive PCR tests after positive rapid antigen home tests. I had it really badly, I dread to think what it would have been like without the vaccines.

Anyway my youngest’s 10 day isolation period ends today, she’s had no symptoms for 7 days and is desperate to go out, but she is just tested positive still on one of the home rapid antigen tests. Is this normal, because she has just had the virus and is now over run with antibodies. I’ve read one article that suggested you shouldn’t test again for 90 days after a positive PCR test.

Or do we need to keep her in until she tests negative? There is no real advice on this that we can find.