SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Can someone explain the thought process in stockpiling toilet roll? Id understand food, but why are people buying a shit ton?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I live near a park. I will happily walk around there.

I will also obviously be going shopping for food when necessary.

Otherwise, at home for the foreseeable.
Be interesting to see how long you keep it up.

Do you need to leave the house to work? Do you live with anyone else? I’m guessing you don’t have a dog.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It's viable as a way to stop coronavirus, I think. The article doesn't go into any details but it may be extremely unviable in every other way - foreign antibodies might start attacking our own cells, similar to what can happen if blood type isn't matched before transfering. But the people doing this will 100% be aware of that and possibly working around it. I don't work with human biology so I don't know what that method would look like, but I doubt a simple transfer would do it.
Thanks for that. A bit over my head but interesting nonetheless. Also reassuring that scientists are working round the clock on this.

DoomSlayer

Can someone explain the thought process in stockpiling toilet roll? Id understand food, but why are people buying a shit ton?
It's the same in my country as well. :lol:

I guess a lot of people are using their savings to stockpile products. But what will people like me do, who either survive week for week or are in financial trouble? I'm more worried about how me and my family survive this global economic crisis that is about to begin.

Revan

Assumptionman
What? How do we know they're doing this?
It is such an outlier that it has to be that. The death rate there is less than of flu. The number of cases yesterday was similar to France and Spain, but the number of deaths was ten times lower.

Charlie Foley

People that have money to spare seemingly don't understand how being in lockdown for a very long time is impossible and will cause global chaos.
Your solution to this is to go bowling?

Something like that will prolong the need for a lockdown

Dante

Average bang
Well no shit sherlock! That's the whole point of self isolation. You're being fecking weird as feck in this thread right now.
Because I'm not panicking but instead listening to expert advice from doctors and scientists. I don't pretend to be an expert.

The general tenor of this thread is blame and accuse and criticise.

It's weird that I'm going against that grain, but that's only because those the grain of this thread is so irrational and short-termist.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I predict UK is going the same route as here. Doctors and nurses are banging their heads on the wall right now about that "herd immunity" bullshit. They will flood social media and the press intensiviely in the next few hours/days and government will have to change policy.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
try to keep at least 2 metres (3 steps) from other people in your home, particularly older people or those with long-term health conditions
It's the first bullet point. You're then at home with other people self isolating, they're advice is aimed at limiting the chances of passing anything on as you live in your house with other people so to try to distinguish between than and mingling like you originally did is just daft. That is the government policy, but you're telling people that they're then going to be responsible for the deaths of others for doing that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah somehow I don't think the party that has spent the last decade starving disabled people to death is now suddenly very concert about the potentially deaths that could arise due to economic damage.
Well no, I'm very sure they're not. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be though. Especially given that same party will be in charge of the economic response to this crisis in the UK.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Germany is doing such a good job at keeping the number of deaths down. How?
One thing that I forgot to mention earlier and that needs to be done when comparing outcomes from different countries is accounting for differences in populations and prevalence within that population. A country could have a higher mortality rate from COVID-19, but be deemed to delivering better outcomes if their population was skewed towards an older demographic. You can’t just compare crude death rates to compare performance.

See here on standardised death rates:https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Glossary:Standardised_death_rate_(SDR)

djembatheking

First confirmed diagnosis were on 31st of January, so I presume targetting tested began a few days before that at most.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51325192
Thanks mate . My wife was in hospital for 6 days from Jan 28th dry cough, couldn`t breathe , severe fever . I also had it after she came home . I was in a bad way for about 3 weeks but managed to fight it off at home . My Son had been home from Uni and had it first at the beginning of January . It does make me wonder .

Dante

Average bang
It's the first bullet point. You're then at home with other people self isolating, they're advice is aimed at limiting the chances of passing anything on as you live in your house with other people so to try to distinguish between than and mingling like you originally did is just daft. That is the government policy, but you're telling people that they're then going to be responsible for the deaths of others for doing that.
Stay in your room. Don't sit next to your family/flatmates on the sofa.

Revan

Assumptionman
Because I'm not panicking but instead listening to expert advice from doctors and scientists. I don't pretend to be an expert.

It's weird that I'm going against that grain, but that's only because those the grain of this thread is so irrational and short-termist.
The doctors and scientists are going against doctors and scientists in UK. UK government’s plan is to kill a million people or so. It might be inevitable for that to happen, but many other scientists seem to think that there might be a better way.

The ex chairmen of WHO just 2 days ago called UK’s plan ‘a total surrender’ so let’s not pretend that you are listening to the scientists while we are panicking. The scientists you are listening to are on minority, and the other scientists are calling your scientists to be lunatics.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Well no, I'm very sure they're not. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be though. Especially given that same party will be in charge of the economic response to this crisis in the UK.
Yeah agree with you here. There are pro's and con's of locking down huge parts of the country(And thus the economy)but a lot of people in this thread are arguing like we don't have a tory government.

Skills

Snitch
It is such an outlier that it has to be that. The death rate there is less than of flu. The number of cases yesterday was similar to France and Spain, but the number of deaths was ten times lower.
That would be ridiculous.

The more likely reason is that it's still quite early in germany (same as the UK) - despite the higher number of people infected. It seems like it takes about 2 weeks for the disease to go from initial symptoms to pneumonia/death, and they're not quite there yet.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It was already in the UK community and for the reasons detailed in my other post, the fans from Madrid posed little threat to the UK. Most experts predict that this virus will become endemic in the population and will become a feature of seasonal viruses. The vaccine is generally predicted as being 18 months away. Is Bosnia going to close it's doors and schools for the next 18 months? This isn't a short term issue unfortunately.
I don't know how long our schools are being closed, I don't even know if what our goverment thing was the right thing to do. But if they were going to do this then it was better to do it sooner than later is my point. Even this was too late, but still earlier than in UK for example.

UK allowed Liverpool game to go on while the virus was already in the UK, on day later they say they won't close anything only to suspend the PL just few hours later. That doesn't sound like any plan at all, it just sounds they didn't expect it to happen and they would continue with doing nothing but it eventually happened so they had nothing to do except stop all public events. Pretty inconsistent decisions, I don't see how some of you can't see this.

Dante

Average bang
What happens if you're a single parent or a career for a family member ?
I don't know what the advice is for that. I presume call 111 to ask.

What would you do? Given the way you framed that question, I'd guess you think the self-isolation advice is wrong so you wouldn't do that.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

I don't know how long our schools are being closed, I don't even know if what our goverment thing was the right thing to do. But if they were going to do this then it was better to do it sooner than later is my point. Even this was too late, but still earlier than in UK for example.

UK allowed Liverpool game to go on while the virus was already in the UK, on day later they say they won't close anything only to suspend the PL just few hours later. That doesn't sound like any plan at all, it just sounds they didn't expect it to happen and they would continue with doing nothing but it eventually happened so they had nothing to do except stop all public events. Pretty inconsistent decisions, I don't see how some of you can't see this.
They didn’t suspend the PL, the football bodies did that because whole teams started to quarantine. Mass public gatherings haven't actually been banned yet. It’s expected to happen next week.

Revan

Assumptionman
That would be ridiculous.

The more likely reason is that it's still quite early in germany (same as the UK) - despite the higher number of people infected. It seems like it takes about 2 weeks for the disease to go from initial symptoms to pneumonia/death, and they're not quite there yet.
Their infected has the same trajectory/curve as France’s, but the deaths are 10 times lower. Suspicious!

Additionally, it is one of the first European countries to get infected (even Italy got infected from a guy from Munich).

Maybe Germans being cold people is helping them in this case :P

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They did suspend the PL, the football bodies did that because whole teams started to quarantine. Mass public gatherings haven't actually been banned yet. It’s expected to happen next week.
Why don't they allow other games to go on, for the teams not affected by isolations?

nickm

Careful lads, you might get labelled as 'prejudist' (spelling isn't changed) for actually caring about old / vulnerable people, or 'extremist' by one these Tory Boy idiots for having some of that putrid Human passion that is so problematic for these type of policies.
Here's 10 points for being so much more caring than other people. Well done.

It seems unlikely the government would be so careless as to seek to cull the demographic that is most likely to vote Tory.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I believe that Italy has 2x as many smokers as the UK and that smokers are 50% more likely to require intensive care. I think @11101 posted those stats.
Yeah, you're right - from piecing together his posts, 2x as many smokers, 1/3 more likely to end up in hospital and once there 50% more likely to require intensive care.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I predict UK is going the same route as here. Doctors and nurses are banging their heads on the wall right now about that "herd immunity" bullshit. They will flood social media and the press ideoendently in tge next few hours/days and government will have to change policy.
I really fecking hope so mate.

I find it very concerning that the voices of the actual medical professionals who are being asked to deal with this are being drowned out by political rhetoric.

These are the voices that we need to be listening to - but they're being largely ignored.

Thanks mate . My wife was in hospital for 6 days from Jan 28th dry cough, couldn`t breathe , severe fever . I also had it after she came home . I was in a bad way for about 3 weeks but managed to fight it off at home . My Son had been home from Uni and had it first at the beginning of January . It does make me wonder .
Glad you're all (hopefully) better now mate, and it yeah, it does make you wonder.

What are you ages, and where are you based (what country)?

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I don't know what the advice is for that. I presume call 111 to ask.

What would you do?
Oh it was a genuine question as I haven't got a clue.

It just seem like the stay at home advice by the government is pretty useless but also the British government having a similar respond as China did isn't possible i(For a million different reasons).

Classical Mechanic

I'm 42 and smoke around 25 cigs a day. Am I more likely to require ICU treatment?
I‘m not a doctor :nervous: and those stats are posted by some bloke calling himself 11010 on a football forum. That said, this is a respiratory disease and smoking affects the respiratory system so it would make sense. You’re in a lower risk age category though and are more likely to experience mild symptoms from what I’ve read.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Well we had to react circumstance. The PL was cancelled a day later as teams started testing positive and sides were going to be unable to field teams, not because there was sudden realisation that closed doors football matches or crowds at games were going to cause havoc. Games outside the top four divisions are taking place still in the National League where attedances are in the thousands still.

You can have a medium term strategy and plan, and still be reactive to developments. We already know school closures are coming, we already know gatherings will be discouraged or banned, but these measures will be taken at the appropriate time.

nickm

Yeah agree with you here. There are pro's and con's of locking down huge parts of the country(And thus the economy)but a lot of people in this thread are arguing like we don't have a tory government.
Maybe but it just seems preferable not to politicise a plan drawn up over a decade by public health professionals.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
A trip to the local Tesco this morning for some bits and bobs and it was utter chaos. What the heck has happened to us? Empty shelves, peoples trolleys brimming over with stuff with no concern for anyone else.

I always think I’m a pretty reasonable person but I found myself hating people I don’t even know.

It’s an alarming realisation that our society can break down within days.

Smores

You're really not, you've picked one side of a scientific debate (a minority one) and parroting government briefings. That isn't listening to expert advice it's just being contrarian and argumentative. Far more irrational than those looking at the wider community and evidence.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What happens if you're a single parent or a career for a family member ?
Or the person in self quarantine is actually sick, good luck ordering your housemate to clean the bathroom after use. "hey I know you're running a really high temperature and you're coughing non stop, but can you clean the shower please as you've infected the bathroom."

It's just silly really. Ultimately if someone in your household is going under self isolation then it's pretty clear the house is under self isolation and everyone should be prepared that it's more or less inevitable they'd get it. So just look out for each other ultimately and share the load when possible. That's what we'll be doing.

RedTiger

Half mast
I‘m not a doctor :nervous: and those stats are posted by some bloke calling himself 11010 on a football forum. That said, this is a respiratory disease and smoking affects the respiratory system so it would make sense. You’re in a lower risk age category though and are more likely to experience mild symptoms from what I’ve read.
Even though you ain't a doctor, thanks for the reassurance bro :)