SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In the North Sinn Fein and the SDLP have called for school closures, as has the Catholic primate Archbishop Eamon Martin, while the DUP and the Ulster Unionist Party argue it is not yet the time for such action.
Classic Northern Ireland.

Dante

Average bang
What else? Don't go to the toilet or eat either? People can do what they can but you if you have a family then you will still be isolating with them around.
The contact you describe would happen anyway. But the important thing is that you're not spreading to others outside the household.

I can't change the laws of biology or the economics of hospitals.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it just uk and USA doing this hoarding?

Peruvians were stocking up on toilet rolls etc but it was only like a pack each even though there's no limit.

Maybe Peruvians aren't selfish. Simple.
I've seen shops in Italy that have empty shelves on things like pasta as well as a video from Canada with massive queues in the supermarket. There was some guy on Facebook before boasting that he had 500 toilet rolls, if his family uses 5 a week he has enough for 2 years, but he's the smart guy for buying so many now other people cannot get any...

RedTiger

Half mast
@RedTiger if any of this makes you convinced to really try and quit - or even just to start cutting down how much you smoke, feel free to PM me anytime if you wanna talk about any angle on it whatsoever mate.
Cheers brother. I really do want to quit and I've got an appointment with my gp this week so I'll ask about being prescribed champix.

sebsheep

The contact your describe would happen anyway. But the important thing is that you're not spreading to others outside the household.

That's not what you were arguing though.

Skills

Snitch
3.5k new cases in Italy today. An increase of 40% from yesterday.
Mental. Again this just stresses, why you need to act quicker. I think it'll take about a week for them to really get it in control but it could be about 50k cases by then.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Things are going to escalate badly in the next two weeks in Ireland.

Went into a local restaurant to get a take away and people just sitting around as if nothing is wrong.

I think that by this day two months there is a good chance my father is dead. Hope to feck i am wrong.

Dante

Average bang
Thanks both. I wasn't sure if it was just a 2/3 week thing which only makes sense if the whole world does it somehow
Italy currently has ~20k cases. The real number is probably closer to 200k.

If the rates of infection keep increasing at 30%, the whole country would be infected in 22 days. Then it'll be a month before people are no longer infectious.

So a worst case scenario in which loads of people die would be 2 months. A best case scenario might be more like 7 or 8 months (or more).

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I'm moving to another city for a job next month (living in Munich right now). Nevermind the uncertainty right now if everything will move along, my flatmates convinced me today to go to IKEA with them. After about 5 minutes in there I realized what a mad idea that was, how are they allowed to still be open? Schools etc. closed for next week, sports even without fans cancelled but a furniture store where thousands of people flow through with almost everyone touching everything is open.
Tried to avoid touching anything and keep distance from people but it's crazy difficult, you also get super paranoid quickly. What makes me more mad is that I was only able to be convinced because I decided against going to Tyrol to friends for a couple of days because it had been declared a risk area and I didn't want to be forced to self quarantine for weeks. Thing is, I would've done nothing apart from ski hiking and rock climbing with about 2-3 people which is about the most social distanced thing you can do, almost no contact to the rest of the world.

The Firestarter

More bad news again from Italy.

Italy is on course to surpass China numbers and that'd be something truly exceptional in the very bad way. Considering the fact China were the first to get hit, their density in the industrial cities and population size in general.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Cheers brother. I really do want to quit and I've got an appointment with my gp this week so I'll ask about being prescribed champix.
Yeah man, and honestly - talk to as many ex-smokers as possible. Some you'll relate to, some you won't, but I defo found that there's a few weird tips that other people pick up that aren't always in the official information that can really help.

PM me anytime. x

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The contact you describe would happen anyway. But the important thing is that you're not spreading to others outside the household.

The bold bit made me chuckle.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Got the board game Secret Hitler for christmas, so if things do south then I'll being spending most of my time accusing people of been Nazi's. Which is at least something a bit different.
Aye, quality game that. We've got a Sherlock Holmes game to get through which takes 4-5hours per case and there's 10 of the feckers. So we'll be nicely preoccupied too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
811 unless it's been updated in past few minutes.
More than 1500 was yesterday, potentially more today.
Yesterday there were 2000 (maybe some accumulated that were not reported before), today so far 800 cases.
I was reading an article updated 20 minutes ago in the Midi Libre, they apparently registered 1500 new cases since last night. I know the stats on worldometer but I'm wondering about what is reported right now.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

Things are going to escalate badly in the next two weeks in Ireland.

Went into a local restaurant to get a take away and people just sitting around as if nothing is wrong.

I think that by this day two months there is a good chance my father is dead. Hope to feck i am wrong.
Wait , weren't restaurants shut down in Ireland?

sebsheep

I never argued that self-isolation at home was perfect. Only that it was the best option under the circumstances.
You argued that self-isolating at home with a family wasn't something in the government guidelines.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Is it just uk and USA doing this hoarding?

Peruvians were stocking up on toilet rolls etc but it was only like a pack each even though there's no limit.

Maybe Peruvians aren't selfish. Simple.
Dunno Ian, I can only speak for my little corner of the Midlands. We’ve not been able to get any toilet paper for near on 5 days. This might not sound too bad to most folk but my Mrs suffers from Crohn’s disease so loo roll is a pretty hot commodity for her.

One of my friends lives in Surrey and he says the same there. Tinned food, soap, hand gel, loo rolls, and all sorts of stuff that you don’t think people would hoard.

Really pisses me off though. No one doubts we’re in for a rough time but the ‘I’m alright Jack’ and ‘trample on all others’ mentality is something I’ve never understood.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nope. Indoor gatherings of over 100 people banned but within that pubs and restaurants are still open (for now). The biggest measure thus far has been the schools closing.

dove

I was reading an article updated 20 minutes ago in the Midi Libre, they apparently registered 1500 new cases since last night. I now the stats on worldometer but I'm wondering about what is reported right now.
I follow spanish media quite a lot these days as I live here now but I never seen this number today. It will likely be quite a lot more than that at the end of the day though.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Can someone help me, did I just read that there is 1500 new cases in Spain?
Spain is out of control. Lots of people don't take it seriously and are going to the mountain and the beach. they will start taking it seriously when it will be too late. Spain is going to the herd immunity way without the governments advise (that had been slow too in react)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Schools, colleges and creches shut down.

Shops, coffee shops, restaurants still open.

Will more than likely be shut down bar the shops within the next two weeks. People dont have a clue what is coming.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Dunno Ian, I can only speak for my little corner of the Midlands. We’ve not been able to get any toilet paper for near on 5 days. This might not sound too bad to most folk but my Mrs suffers from Crohn’s disease so loo roll is a pretty hot commodity for her.

One of my friends lives in Surrey and he says the same there. Tinned food, soap, hand gel, loo rolls, and all sorts of stuff that you don’t think people would hoard.

Really pisses me off though. No one doubts we’re in for a rough time but the ‘I’m alright Jack’ and ‘trample on all others’ mentality is something I’ve never understood.
Can you order some and get it delivered?

LARulz

Another question I had, surely the homeless are huge at risk groups and people likely to pass it on to others?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Italy is probably my favourite country in Europe. It's heartbreaking what's happening there.
Just watched a video on Instagram from a french bodybuilder living in Italy right now. What he describes is akin to apocalypse scenario. The authorites aren't joking with people breaking curfews and what not. Everything is shut down