SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Planning on going to Spain in July. You reckon it'd be wise to book tickets now or around July?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’m travelling to Vietnam with my sister next Saturday, I know Vietnam have only had 16 cases and seem so far to be containing it relatively well but I’m still a little worried. It’s a part work/part holiday trip so hard for me to cancel, especially considering my supervisor has just flown out there today.
All the schools in Vietnam are closed. Much of villages that border China have been quarantined. Take care and stay safe.

Paxi

There are strong rumours that the disease is more virulent in Iran.

Paxi

Informative live stream for anyone interested.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
There are strong rumours that the disease is more virulent in Iran.
The mortality figures seem out if kilter but I would caveat
There may be differences in what's classified as an infection
People may not be reporting with mild cases
It's still low numbers so high margin or error
Not sure what the medical system is like there (sanctions etc)

Paxi

The mortality figures seem out if kilter but I would caveat
There may be differences in what's classified as an infection
People may not be reporting with mild cases
It's still low numbers so high margin or error
Not sure what the medical system is like there (sanctions etc)

I've heard it in this video and also it was mentioned on CNBC yesterday that the virus possibly mutated.

Relevated

Wow, that's incredible. We're not dealing with a virus anymore... We're dealing with a monster.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I'm afraid it will be here soon. How can I protect myself and my family from it
You can't... Beyond the normal practical steps of wash hands don't touch face and don't go out more than necessary

It's a virus that people can carry and transmit for up to 2 weeks without symptoms... Think of every door handle or hand rail you have touched in the last 2 weeks and who else might have... Think of every time you have been in a room at close proximity to somebody who coughed - think about your kids at school.
I've been through 6 major international airports in the last 2 weeks - honestly there is no way of keeping track of everything / everybody who might have come into contact with somebody who might have come into contact with somebody who might have it
Basically practice good hygiene as much as is practicably possible make sure if you get ill remember it's probably just a cold anyway and even if not it's a low mortality rate and follow medical advice

Relevated

You can't... Beyond the normal practical steps of wash hands don't touch face and don't go out more than necessary

It's a virus that people can carry and transmit for up to 2 weeks without symptoms... Think of every door handle or hand rail you have touched in the last 2 weeks and who else might have... Think of every time you have been in a room at close proximity to somebody who coughed - think about your kids at school.
I've been through 6 major international airports in the last 2 weeks - honestly there is no way of keeping track of everything / everybody who might have come into contact with somebody who might have come into contact with somebody who might have it
Basically practice good hygiene as much as is practicably possible make sure if you get ill remember it's probably just a cold anyway and even if not it's a low mortality rate and follow medical advice
This is okay for me but I'm more worried about my baby. She will have to remain in a single room, I guess.

Paxi

This is okay for me but I'm more worried about my baby. She will have to remain in a single room, I guess.
Children have lowest mortality rates out of all age groups so don't worry too much. Something like 0.2% so it's an extremely low fatality rate.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

Again, I'd suggest watching all his videos relating to Covid19, he explains the precautionary measures one can take amongst a lot of other good information.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So far kids have been relatively unaffected I think
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/11...s-to-be-sparing-one-group-of-people-kids.html
And given its probably a year to a workable vaccine then keeping them in a room probably isn't practical
My son goes back to school next week and he has a cough... He's half Chinese so yeah I suspect everybody is gonna be bricking it (even though he hasn't been to China for over a year)
But he ways comes back with whatever the latest illness is from school so I'm kinda resigned to the fact that in the balance of probability hee likley to catch it at some point

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
My city has just been declared the center for treatment for all diagnosed cases in Lombardy (highest incidence of the virus in Italy/Europe). They've shut down the hospital and all university structures, and they're sending all existing patients to hospitals nearby, in preparation of all incoming covid-19 cases. Milan had their first case recently, won't be long before a bunch more there and in my city become symptomatic and are brought over for treatment. I was supposed to graduate in two weeks but nobody knows what to expect anymore.

Rajma

My city has just been declared the center for treatment for all diagnosed cases in Lombardy (highest incidence of the virus in Italy/Europe). They've shut down the hospital and all university structures, and they're sending all existing patients to hospitals nearby, in preparation of all incoming covid-19 cases. Milan had their first case recently, won't be long before a bunch more there and in my city become symptomatic and are brought over for treatment. I was supposed to graduate in two weeks but nobody knows what to expect anymore.
Yeah read that Milan just had its second case. Stay safe man.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Absolute nightmare... it's fecking horrible feeling, really depresses me if I'm honest.

I just wish we had governments who had acted with this and properly shut it down when the opportunity was there.

I wonder how this will affect the psyche of the Western world? In Britain we're already going mad with Brexit etc. People are gonna be going nuts with this as well...

I wanna start wearing facemask as soon as it's even vaguely acceptable to do so... just don't wanna look like a nutter while everyone else is walking 'round without one.

Where is that?

izec

Absolute nightmare... it's fecking horrible feeling, really depresses me if I'm honest.

I just wish we had governments who had acted with this and properly shut it down when the opportunity was there.

I wonder how this will affect the psyche of the Western world? In Britain we're already going mad with Brexit etc. People are gonna be going nuts with this as well...

I wanna start wearing facemask as soon as it's even vaguely acceptable to do so... just don't wanna look like a nutter while everyone else is walking 'round without one.
me too, think i will start soon.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Just received official communication from my university directing students from the affected regions of Lombardy to not come in for lessons/exams for the foreseeable future, which is rather problematic as most faculties are in the middle of end semester exams. Wonder how long before there's a case in my city, considering it has one of the highest student populations across Lombardy.
I read that there's been one death in Padova, an elderly man who was already in hospital with other illnesses. I think he's the only death so far.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I read that there's been one death in Padova, an elderly man who was already in hospital with other illnesses. I think he's the only death so far.
A 76 year old lady passed away today, if I remember correctly. The risk of mortality in those below 50 years of age is basically negligible. Older people are at higher risk due to weaker immune systems and comorbidities.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Let's hope it doesn't get into North Korea, where the leadership will either deny its existence entirely (allowing everybody to get it) or claim triumphantly that they've bravely eradicated the virus by formulating their own vaccine within a day of it arriving.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Let's hope it doesn't get into North Korea, where the leadership will either deny its existence entirely (allowing everybody to get it) or claim triumphantly that they've bravely eradicated the virus by formulating their own vaccine within a day of it arriving.
North Korea is extremely isolated so I doubt it becomes a huge problem there if any. Would be ironic if the whole world gets fecked and NK becomes the safe country. Imagine that :lol:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Having just had a kidney transplant and taking very strong immunosuppressants, I sure feel ecstatic about all this news. Thankfully no cases in Colorado* and Florida.

*here in Colorado until the end of March for follow ups and one more operation

::sonny::

76 infected in Italy, 2 deaths. the situation now out of control, with an exponential increase rate

But I think Italy are making more controls now than other countries for this reason there are so many who results infected

10 cities isolated now, postponed inter and Atalanta matches

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Wonder whether they can provide testing kits for the public? Really poor from the men and women in charge. They've let it spread like a wild fire. Anyone coming out of China should have been tested ages ago.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Wonder whether they can provide testing kits for the public? Really poor from the men and women in charge. They've let it spread like a wild fire. Anyone coming out of China should have been tested ages ago.
For the population in Lombardy, if anyone feels like they've got any kind of symptoms, they've been informed not to go to their GP or into A&E, but to call a hotline and an emergency team is supposed to show up at their home within minutes to perform a quick diagnostic test that confirms/denies the infection within 4 hours.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
For the population in Lombardy, if anyone feels like they've got any kind of symptoms, they've been informed not to go to their GP or into A&E, but to call a hotline and an emergency team is supposed to show up at their home within minutes to perform a quick diagnostic test that confirms/denies the infection within 4 hours.
And something like this should have been stated a while ago. We haven't taken this seriously, in my opinion. Being reaction rather than proactive.

The whole diamond princess debacle sums it up for me.