SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

I flew into London earlier from Milan and was amazed there were no checks or questions of any sort.

The virus hasnt exploded in Italy over this weekend. It's been present for weeks and they only just found it. How many others are like that?

Fredo

You broke my heart!
I flew into London earlier from Milan and was amazed there were no checks or questions of any sort.

The virus hasnt exploded in Italy over this weekend. It's been present for weeks and they only just found it. How many others are like that?
I go to Lombardy weekly, was shocked to know this week the virus was found there, they scan people coming to Malpensa airport but not the opposite, doesn't make any sense at all.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm not expert on this but it seems the WHO are taking an increasingly greater risk by not declaring a pandemic now. If they were to declare a pandemic now and the situation turned out to be far less serious than thought, I doubt they would be criticised heavily. But, if they delay declaring a pandemic and this situation grows which it appears to be then there's going to some tough questions asked of the WHO.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is there any data regarding mortality rate broken down by age? And more importantly , data with respect to pre-existing conditions? E.g. if you're a healthy 30 year old with type 1 diabetes, what's the mortality rate given infection?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Jerch

I am getting some information from my coworkers that there is first case with coronavirus in my country (Slovenia). I wouldn't be surprised since a lot of people were on holidays in Italy last week (it was school holidays) including 2 out of my 3 close coworkers. Masks are already out of stock. I live in capital city (Ljubljana) and i wouldn't be surprised if the city is shut down in a week. Crazy that just a week ago we were joking about the virus.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can’t help but think this has been so blown out of proportion and that there are other factors at play as to why it is being reported as a global danger.
Up until recently I've been beyond convinced that's the case but the developments in Italy have worried me a bit, not least because I was in Milan two weeks ago :houllier:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This thread has just become an excuse for people to show off about how much they’ve travelled. Well bollocks to you all, I don’t travel much and in Yorkshire we don’t get sod all anyway so I’m pretty safe

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm getting concerned about Italy too. When I think about how jam-packed it gets in Florence, the potential for outbreak is scary.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This thread has just become an excuse for people to show off about how much they’ve travelled. Well bollocks to you all, I don’t travel much and in Yorkshire we don’t get sod all anyway so I’m pretty safe
"if it's outside Yorkshire, it's not bloody worth visiting"

I'm getting concerned about Italy too. When I think about how jam-packed it gets in Florence, the potential for outbreak is scary.
Some slightly good news is that all the new cases today have been in the closed off red zone.

A seventh person has also died, a 62 year old with heart and kidney problems.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Some slightly good news is that all the new cases today have been in the closed off red zone.

R.I.P to that person, and to all the real people have lost their lives to this thus far...

All those statistics, it's so easy for us all to sit behind screens forgetting that these are other real, human beings that have died from this so far.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I'm planning to be in Tuscany for at least a week in March. Florence in particular. Let's hope that Italian efforts have been overzealous and successful.

Rajma

Feck, first suspected case at my city in Vilnius, a guy who came back from Northern Italy two days ago, has been experiencing similar symptoms. He was stupid enough to visit a regular medical care clinic himself instead of calling in. Hopefully, the test comes back as negative....

C'est Moi Cantona

God I love Yorkshire, if they get it up there 'tha'll just ave a light sniffle', and it'll be 'off t'werk next day'.

Last edited:

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Guys what's the situation in Austria and Germany. Safe to travel there ? I need to visit the two countries in the next couple.of weeks.

Red Star One

Guys what's the situation in Austria and Germany. Safe to travel there ? I need to visit the two countries in the next couple.of weeks.
For now I don’t think there’s been any cases there. Rather safe it seems.
Any updates from Italy? Can’t find too much information

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
7 dead but the rate of new cases has slowed down. I think if the number doesn't increase that much by the end of the week then they may have contained it but its difficult to tell with Covid whether you're out of the woods or not.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Korea is ramping up really fast. They had like 354 infections only on last Saturday.

Its like 977 some 56hours later.

They publish a big update at 9am every day and then drip feed anything new throughout the day.

Good news is that for the last 2 days all new cases have been either in or linked to the quarantine zones.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Lombardy is fecked pretty much, there are still planes going from Lux to Milan weekly (lux air)... I just do not understand why the italian authorities were so non-chalant when it first was recorded in Rome... Malpensa airport they are not scanning ANY traveller who is leaving the airport, gotta feel worried that it might also outbreak in other eu countries because of Milan's lack of urgency at the airport...

Lombardy is fecked pretty much, there are still planes going from Lux to Milan weekly (lux air)... I just do not understand why the italian authorities were so non-chalant when it first was recorded in Rome... Malpensa airport they are not scanning ANY traveller who is leaving the airport, gotta feel worried that it might also outbreak in other eu countries because of Milan's lack of urgency at the airport...
Why would they? Unlike the rest of Europe they've been scanning people coming in for weeks and its not exactly helped has it...

Italy has had the strongest controls in the EU since the beginning.

Heardy

I feel stupid even contemplating asking this question, but has anyone considered stockpiling non-perishables?

Reading a few (perhaps sensationalist) stories of supermarkets being stripped in Italy as panic sets in. What worries me is just how quickly this could escalate if it reached pandemic levels.

I'd feel like a bit of a numpty, but do wonder it's worth going to the supermarket and spending a few hundred quid on stuff should quarantine set in in the UK!