SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

nickm

Because experts have no idea about whether it's actually possible in the short term, we don't know how this virus work and one of the characterics of coronaviruses is their constent evolution. It's a speculative point, maybe it's possible, maybe it's not.
The two strategies - China style suppression vs UK style mitigation have been modelled by MRC Centre for Global Infectious disease at Imperial. Well worth a look:

United58

Can I just remind people how important it is to take a break from the information overload. It can be particular overwhelming and can affect your mood to be constantly reading these twitter 'facts and figures'.

Please take time out to relax. Do something you enjoy and stay rational and level-headed. When you want to read an article, scrutinise the source. Don't read too many articles at once.

Just a friendly reminder.
feckit - I'm off to play some PES 5. Thank you :)

Dante

Average bang
Morons on the street like that? Get the rubber bullets out, they’ll soon get the message
It'll be fine for a couple of weeks.

But you can bet that every single policy maker is thinking about the 2011 Manchester/London riots in the forefront of their minds. The kids who ran riot back then are the same demographic that is going to be least affected by the virus, and will therefore get the most agitated about why they're being forced to stay at home.

I think we're quite likely to see looting at some point. And crowd control from the authorities in response. I'd support that being in a rubber bullet format.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The two strategies - China style suppression vs UK style mitigation have been modelled by MRC Centre for Global Infectious disease at Imperial. Well worth a look:

A key point.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Its very weird, mate. If it's a coincidence, it's a crazy one. But I have serious suspicions that this thing entered Europe much earlier than we suspected. Your symptoms sound more extreme than mine, but still, definitely unusual. My manager in work also spent around 1.5months flitting in and out of pretty heavy flu-like symptoms - she also says she's never been ill for that long with flu-like symptoms in her life. It's really weird.
A member of my family had exactly what is described in the post you replied to, at about the same time. Late Dec, early Jan. Bed ridden for 5 or so days with exactly the same coronavirus symptoms.

Neo_Mufc

My mum said they sent over 30 kids from school home today. A lot of them with coughs.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
15k in another two weeks? That's frightening.

I'm hoping they're just predicting the absolute worst case scenario and it'll actually be far less than that.
Aye, he also said we can expect a 30% daily increase in cases over the next few weeks which (if my quick maths is correct) would see us fall short of 15k? My maths might be terrible though.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
NHS workers showing symptoms sent home without testing, people arriving from hotspots strolling through the airports without any testing and people possibly having the virus but won’t be tested unless bad enough to be hospitalised. The UK is an absolute shitshow right now.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Can I just remind people how important it is to take a break from the information overload. It can be particular overwhelming and can affect your mood to be constantly reading these twitter 'facts and figures'.

Please take time out to relax. Do something you enjoy and stay rational and level-headed. When you want to read an article, scrutinise the source. Don't read too many articles at once.

Just a friendly reminder.
This is important. I mowed the lawn and cleaned my car today and it was a big help in taking my mind off stuff for a couple of hours.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The whole "I am young and healthy, I should just get it and move on" is bullshit. Do not gamble with your (and other people's) lives. Try to stay at home and not get it / not spread it, for as long as you can.

Source:

My sister in New Jersey telling me stories of monumentslly selfish people.
Some bastard got on a flight and waited till the plane landed to let them know he had the virus...cnut.
This shit should seriously be criminal. As far as I know, there are laws criminalizing such behavior in case of STD, but I guess nothing for non-STD communicable diseases. If that is true, we are missing some laws, clearly.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The whole "I am young and healthy, I should just get it and move on" is bullshit. Do not gamble with your (and other people's) lives. Try to stay at home and not get it / not spread it, for as long as you can.

Source:

Someone said this to me at work today, not that long after he said he was looking forward to visiting his gran at the weekend. Twat.

Something to hope for:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Someone said this to me at work today, not that long after he said he was looking forward to visiting his gran at the weekend. Twat.
That is insane. Not to be dramatic about it, but how is that different from attempted murder? Like - seriously?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Baby formula and nappies in my area completely sold out. Bare essentials for little babies and I imagine some King of Cnuts, or Cnut Overlord, or General Feck Head, or Cnuty McCnuterson, or whoever, is trying to sell them all on eBay right now.

People are wankers. Knackered wifey with two newborn bairns stood there gasping because there were no baby wipes. Had some in my boot that I keep as back up so she got those plus an unopened jumbo pack of newborn nappies that I forgot were in there. Only a four pack of wipes but hopefully that keeps her going for a week or so.

The moral of the story is that everyone's a cnut except me because I'm amazing.
Apparently people were buying the baby milk formula due to the long life milk being sold out, because y'know it's not like people with babies will need it....

432JuanMata

Ireland are one of a small number of countries that haven’t updated there cases today does anyone know why or when ?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
That is insane. Not to be dramatic about it, but how is that different from attempted murder? Like - seriously?
There's no intent to it, in his case he's just incredibly self-absorbed and not able to see that he can affect others worse than himself. But I worry how many of those people there are about. Lockdown will be a relief at this point.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
NHS workers showing symptoms sent home without testing, people arriving from hotspots strolling through the airports without any testing and people possibly having the virus but won’t be tested unless bad enough to be hospitalised. The UK is an absolute shitshow right now.
If you think the UK is a shitshow, you should probably look at the rest of the West for comparison. Which major European country would you rather be living in to see this one out? We're doing a better or comparable amount of testing to most, and still getting a very high proportion of negative tests. No healthcare system in this part of the world has any experience of something like this and is equipped to deal with it.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Dr William Hanage is a professor of the evolution and epidemiology of infectious disease at Harvard...
When I heard about Britain’s ‘herd immunity’ coronavirus plan, I thought it was satire

When I first heard about this, I could not believe it. I research and teach the evolution and epidemiology of infectious disease at Harvard’s Chan School of Public Health. My colleagues here in the US, even as they are reeling from the stumbling response of the Donald Trump administration to the crisis, assumed that reports of the UK policy were satire – an example of the wry humour for which the country is famed. But they are all too real.
He says it only makes to talk about generating "herd immunity" for vaccines, not an actual pandemic.
We talk about vaccines generating herd immunity, so why is this different? Because this is not a vaccine. This is an actual pandemic that will make a very large number of people sick, and some of them will die. Even though the mortality rate is likely quite low, a small fraction of a very large number is still a large number. And the mortality rate will climb when the NHS is overwhelmed. This would be expected to happen, even if we make the generous assumption that the government were entirely successful in restricting the virus to the low-risk population, at the peak of the outbreak the numbers requiring critical care would be greater than the number of beds available. This is made worse by the fact that people who are badly ill tend to remain so for a long time, which increases the burden.

Dave_MUFC

A member of my family had exactly what is described in the post you replied to, at about the same time. Late Dec, early Jan. Bed ridden for 5 or so days with exactly the same coronavirus symptoms.
Checking in to say that 2nd week of December I had a flu type thing aswell, first time in my adult life having something that bad.

I had zero energy, a raging fever (Was just on the edge of fainting one evening), and had to get on the codeine to deal with the amount of pain my chest was in from coughing all night.

Munkehboi

So home now after a steady day. I was indeed Covid-19 triaging today. Only 13 patients to see, none admitted into hospital so none were tested however, I suspect one had it from travel history and previous contact with others and sore throat as only symptom. Was sent home. Still annoyed by some people who are coming in and ignoring the self isolation instructions. I suspect there will be more confirmed cases at my turst tomorrow/wed as test results start coming back from some of the in-patients admitted. Anyway shower, bed and back to it tomorrow. Luckily I won't be triaging tomorrow.

@Berbasbullet So sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you and your loved ones in these difficult times.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This thread doesn't look good.

For example:

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
There was a chest virus that did the rounds between December to Feb, but I'm afraid it wasn't covid 19. Saw the name of it. If I find it I'll post it on here.
Interesting... I know a few people that had the 'worst flu ever' from late December on.

redshaw

Problem keeping schools open is it kind of unravels when a few teachers take ill. Reminds me how they tried to keep the football going in UK and Germany actually, it's fine until a player is ill and tests positive and it crumbles pretty fast. Teachers and head teachers are often 50-65 years of age and are a risk.

If what is also true about the Italy data recently, young people might be carrying higher levels, did someone read into it? Thought it was suggesting that but please check, I'm not saying this is the case.