SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Shez

Why was he tested if he had no symptoms?

Makes you wonder how many in the UK actually have been infected/are currently infected without knowing.

I know I've had a dry cough the past few days (not overly continuous - coughing every 30 minutes or so), and I rarely have a cough. I had the flu for 3 days 2 weeks ago, and a cold for a few days the week before.
Similar symptoms here. Not testing as no fever

TrustInOle

(He edited it)
Helped me with my decision not to send the kids in today ( work cancelled for atleast next 4 weeks). Worry some if this is the attitude of so called teachers of the next generation. Also, a school near me shut down after a nursery child tested positive for it leading me to find out his siblings attend the same school as my son, with no information being available. Truly shocking times ahead I feel. Took far too long (and still) to take this all seriously.

Edit. Link here

https://www.wigantoday.net/health/coronavirus-third-case-covid-19-confirmed-wigan-2205276

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Helped me with my decision not to send the kids in today ( work cancelled for atleast next 4 weeks). Worry some if this is the attitude of so called teachers of the next generation. Also, a school near me shut down after a nursery child tested positive for it leading me to find out his siblings attend the same school as my son, with no information being available. Truly shocking times ahead I feel. Took far too long (and still) to take this all seriously.
Don’t blame you. Your nearest and dearest are what is important and making sure your kids are safe is all you can do.

If you don’t think the government is doing enough then you make your own decisions.

TrustInOle

Don’t blame you. Your nearest and dearest are what is important and making sure your kids are safe is all you can do.

If you don’t think the government is doing enough then you make your own decisions.
Really beginning to think I might. Especially after today's confession of stupiness and selfishness from them. Will also be phoning school up to enquire more about why no information has been given about the family of said child that attend the school.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Edit. Link here

https://www.wigantoday.net/health/coronavirus-third-case-covid-19-confirmed-wigan-2205276
Good choice, I did the same.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Really beginning to think I might. Especially after today's confession of stupiness and selfishness from them. Will also be phoning school up to enquire more about why no information has been given about the family of said child that attend the school.
Good luck pal, keep em safe and enjoy some quality time at home.

Probably drive you batty but when this is all done and dusted you will be chucking them back over the school gates :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Does her friend of a friend also have the retreat page liked on Facebook as I have a few shamans on mine i can ask her status?
Sorry, the friend of a friend is a friend of a friend of mine, not hers. Just happens to be in the same place and has had wifi so put out a post asking people to share as well as tagging media. They're obviously very scared.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Sorry, the friend of a friend is a friend of a friend of mine, not hers. Just happens to be in the same place and has had wifi so put out a post asking people to share as well as tagging media. They're obviously very scared.
Ask them if this is familiar.

Btw. I'm posting pic as he is only 1 of 3 operating from today and the other 2 are jungle gangsters.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Im head of PE at a very large primary school and myself, and my Pe team who are all self employed, plus the 40-50 staff and 800 + children will be in as normal tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. I’ve just actually had a roast and few drinks in a local pubs alongside a lot of the parents. Luckily we live and work in a very likeminded area, not mass panic. People doing as they’re told and getting on with it whilst getting on with life too.
Glad you aren't headcof Science at a secondary school.

Not closing schools is an economic and not a health based decision.

Young kids may not die from this virus but their Grandparents will and as kids are hopeless at social distancing they will spread the virus far and wide. And what about the teacher's health?

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Imagine telling somebody in 2015 that in 5 years:

Donald Trump is the president of the United States of America.
Britain has left the European Union.
A new virus has appeared and within months brought the world to its knees, caused mass global panic, killed thousands in many countries, caused lockdowns in others and Hollywood style street curfew enforcement.

It's almost like this is actually a VR simulation and somebody is fecking with us to see how we react.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Imagine telling somebody in 2015 that in 5 years:

Donald Trump is the president of the United States of America.
Britain has left the European Union.
A new virus has appeared and within months brought the world to its knees, caused mass global panic, killed thousands in many countries, caused lockdowns in others and Hollywood style street curfew enforcement.

It's almost like this is actually a VR simulation and somebody is fecking with us to see how we react.
And Liverpool nearly won the league :)

hungrywing

The theory is that once the lockdown is finished, the virus spreading will go exponential again. In which case, you need another lockdown. And so on.

And no country has the economical capabilities to stay in lockdown until end of 2021, when we can assume mass vaccination will be possible (maybe a bit earlier like summer 2021).

I am not saying that I think this is the case, but this seems to be the logic behind it. And well, I am a bit afraid that they are right, otherwise UK's plan (and US, Netherlands, Sweden) is nuts. I am afraid that they have checked all the possibilities and have come to that conclusion.
This is largely it. Long term, there are only two controllable ways that this pandemic gets under control: vaccine or herd immunity. So one does cost-benefit analysis between long-term/recurring lockdown (and resultant impact on public health among other things) vs other measures (and resultant impact).

Also, it's probably a good idea to regard the 'herd immunity was never our goal' backtracking with a skeptical eye. It looks an awful lot like the UK were considering 'is it possible to at least partially utilize it?'

The only 'weird' thing then was/is the incredibly blase attitude towards adopting the contact tracing and aggressive testing done in Singapore/Korea etc. Personally that's the first thing I'd be curious about in terms of being 'afraid that they have checked all the possibilities and have come to that conclusion'. Upon what factor(s) - when Italy is screaming almost literally from the rooftops and anyone knows more data will help guide policy better than no data - the UK and the Scandinavian countries have ruled that out, whether it be for legal reasons or some other. It doesn't seem like it could be due to cost. Is it because internal numbers showed they weren't going to have the beds from the get go anyways, etc.

But from there it can get sticky: you run into possibilities such as maybe they didn't want to test aggressively because they needed as few young people as possible to know they were carriers while the herd immunity was built, etc.

Dante

Average bang
You really have to wonder how businesses even large businesses can survive if everyone is essentially in lockdown until July or August.
They won't.

Hundreds will go out of business and thousands (probably tens of thousands) will lose their jobs.

Train, plane and travel companies will go bust quite soon. The High Street will be obliterated even more than it has been.

mav_9me

My wife now has a Covid-19 patient. It's wild... she and the doctor are the only people allowed in the patient's room. The room is a negative pressure room, so it circulates its own air to prevent room to room cross contamination. She must wear full bio-hazard PPE with respirator. There is a person assigned to watch the door to the room and to make sure that she puts on and takes off the PPE properly each time she goes in and out of the room to protect against exposure.

Also - she treated a patient about a month ago who died of a diagnosis of "respiratory failure". They didn't even know what to look for or have testing kits at the time, but she said the patient back then had all the same symptoms of the one she's treating now. This patient was not in a negative pressure room, so the air that went into it was circulated to the other rooms around it.
It is a very non-specific presentation, could have been any number of reasons. I wouldn't worry about it now, unless he had travel hx at that time. And even then if its a month ago and it was Covid 19 others would have long since developed it.
Full disclosure: I am ICU physician in USA.

Dante

Average bang
There's likely to be a strong correlation between societies that panic buy (for selfish reasons) and societies that push back against containment measures (again, for selfish reasons).

America's turning into a perfect storm.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
They won't.

Hundreds will go out of business and thousands (probably tens of thousands) will lose their jobs.

Train, plane and travel companies will go bust quite soon. The High Street will be obliterated even more than it has been.
Someone said earlier 5% of the Irish workforce lost their jobs in one day. Any company with any kind of debt that needs servicing is going to seriously struggle.

I had a chat with my former boss earlier who was gearing up to sell his business, which has been quite profitable for a few years now. He thinks everything could go under pretty quickly for him, and I imagine the same will be the case across the country.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Someone said earlier 5% of the Irish workforce lost their jobs in one day. Any company with any kind of debt that needs servicing is going to seriously struggle.

I had a chat with my former boss earlier who was gearing up to sell his business, which has been quite profitable for a few years now. He thinks everything could go under pretty quickly for him, and I imagine the same will be the case across the country.
A mates wife who is a recruitment consultant in Dublin said 140,000 lost or will lose their job in a week starting last Friday.

She thinks even her sector will suffer job losses as demand will totally outstrip supply.

Revan

Assumptionman
There's likely to be a strong correlation between societies that panic buy (for selfish reasons) and societies that push back against containment measures (again, for selfish reasons).

America's turning into a perfect storm.
It probably depends on the region. In Santa Clara is like a nuclear weapon has been detonated, everyone staying at home.

I think that zones which do not take seriously the social distancing now are those zones that are going to pay the price later.

Dante

Average bang

Just wait till dominoes start to fall on mortgage repayments.

People lose their jobs -> they fail to pay the banks their mortgage repayments -> the banks survive for a while but eventually become illiquid -> the banks tell people they can't withdraw cash -> there are numerous runs on banks, with hundreds queuing up to take money out of ATMs (breaking curfew and spreading the virus) -> several banks fail and the few businesses that thought they'd survived the lockdown are going to be in trouble themselves because they can't borrow anymore

Worst case scenario. I doubt all of it comes to fruition, but I think at least some of it will (depending on how long the crisis lasts). Think of Northern Rock multiplied over several times - it's hardly a fantasy scenario.

And don't get me started on families missing their rent payments.

Last edited:

hungrywing

My wife now has a Covid-19 patient. It's wild... she and the doctor are the only people allowed in the patient's room. The room is a negative pressure room, so it circulates its own air to prevent room to room cross contamination. She must wear full bio-hazard PPE with respirator. There is a person assigned to watch the door to the room and to make sure that she puts on and takes off the PPE properly each time she goes in and out of the room to protect against exposure.

Also - she treated a patient about a month ago who died of a diagnosis of "respiratory failure". They didn't even know what to look for or have testing kits at the time, but she said the patient back then had all the same symptoms of the one she's treating now. This patient was not in a negative pressure room, so the air that went into it was circulated to the other rooms around it.
It is a very non-specific presentation, could have been any number of reasons. I wouldn't worry about it now, unless he had travel hx at that time. And even then if its a month ago and it was Covid 19 others would have long since developed it.
Full disclosure: I am ICU physician in USA.
Carolina, if it bugs you and you really really want to be sure, she should be able to find out if he had chest x-rays/CT. Presentation is non-specific as mav said, but those images - if they're there - will be definitive.

Revan

Assumptionman

People lose their jobs -> they fail to pay the banks their mortgage repayments -> the banks survive for a while but eventually become illiquid -> the banks tell people they can't withdraw cash -> there are numerous runs on banks, with hundreds queuing up to take money out of ATMs (breaking curfew and spreading the virus) -> several banks fail and the few businesses that thought they'd survived the lockdown are going to be in trouble themselves because they can't borrow anymore

Worst case scenario. I doubt all of it doesn't come to fruition, but I think at least some of it will (depending on how long the crisis lasts). Think of Northern Rock multiplied over several times.

States are going to intervene to not let the system fail.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

Worst case scenario. I doubt all of it doesn't come to fruition, but I think at least some of it will (depending on how long the crisis lasts). Think of Northern Rock multiplied over several times.

Agree. I've been taking out cash the last few days. Santander called to ask what I was doing and advised me that my home insurance was unlikely to cover more than £500 should I be burgled. Strange advice, clearly trying to stop people doing it.

Dante

Average bang
States are going to intervene to not let the system fail.
I agree that they will, which is why I don't think it'll all come to fruition.

But they'll only be able to do so much. And it'll require some degree of economic output from society in order to be achievable.

If people lose their livelihoods, there'll also need to be government handouts of food and/or benefits. The pot isn't bottomless, unfortunately.

Dante

Average bang
Agree. I've been taking out cash the last few days. Santander called to ask what I was doing and advised me that my home insurance was unlikely to cover more than £500 should I be burgled. Strange advice, clearly trying to stop people doing it.
Good idea. I'm gonna withdraw some cash tomorrow.

Revan

Assumptionman
I agree that they will, which is why I don't think it'll all come to fruition.

But they'll only be able to do so much. And it'll require some degree of economic output from society in order to be achievable.

If people lose their livelihoods, there'll also need to be government handouts of food and/or benefits. The pot isn't bottomless, unfortunately.
Now that you remind me, I need to withdraw some cash. I have less than 200 bucks, and if something like that happens, I am literally fecked. Hopefully the other people are still busy buying toilet paper.