SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Sadly I think you can say this about many countries. In a perverse way, we are "lucky" that this strain isn't as bad as it could have been. One has to hope that we learn from this and be better prepared in the future if and when something similar happens again.
Oh without a doubt. I was reading an interesting article about how Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan etc are doing such a good job - they were predominantly involved in SARS and MERS. They've learnt their lesson, they have protocols in place and that has been evident with their infection rates. China, to an extent, are doing a decent job of containing it with their action.

It annoys me that I can find a protocol on how to do any menial thing on the NHS intranet, but there seems to be absolutely no contingency plan within the UK for this kind of thing. Thus, it results in a floundering government giving guidelines at odds with WHO advice and therefore making it difficult for medical staff to actually know what to do. Of course we follow the government guidelines but all the time knowing it likely isn't the right way to go and screaming into a black hole for weeks that there's not enough beds...at all.

The government advice for us in the NHS has changed 3 times in one week. I get that the situation is fluid and everychanging, but the constant changing of advice is resulting in confusion. There's no clear direction.

Just frustrates me. Sorry.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Need to take a break from this. Frazzled my fecking brain by following it non-stop over the weekend and today.

Off tomorrow, just gonna play videogames all day.
Good idea pal. You feel like slitting you’re bloody wrists after reading this thread :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I can get them somewhere to stay for the duration with food. Cusco, Lima or Arequita. A few different women in their 40's or 50's. They actually offered this on our page.
PM me if you want me to ask.
That could be great, thanks Ian. She was definitely in Cusco. Was at Machu Picchu Friday. And I know she had plans to go to a jungle retreat but don't know when. I'll let you know when we manage to get hold of her.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
That could be great, thanks Ian. She was definitely in Cusco. Was at Machu Picchu Friday. And I know she had plans to go to a jungle retreat but don't know when. I'll let you know when we manage to get hold of her.
If she booked into a jungle retreat for an ayahuasca ceremony, she will need to hand her mobile over on entrance.
Did she say how many days she paid for? It's not cheap for most folk.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Now I'm not a conspiracy nut job, or "whacko" as some of you kids would say, but I can't help but feel like we're not being told something.

Who is this "Covid" anyway? All we know is that he's 19. But what are his motivations? What does he feed on? If you do enough research you can find the answers on Google. There's a great website that you should look at as it's made me discover some harsh truths about the lies that our government spread - www.jetfuelcantmeltsteelbeams.net/covid/2332332355543222443322/chimpanzee-on-a-unicycle.jpg

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If she booked into a jungle retreat for an ayahuasca ceremony, she will need to hand her mobile over on entrance.
Did she say how many days she paid for? It's not cheap for most folk.
She said she would be in the jungle for the last week. Not sure if this is the last week or not. I think that included a bit of a trek as well as ayahuasca. Could well be that she's handed it over or just doesn't have signal. I'm sure her parents are more clued up on it anyway, and her brother was posting on Instagram happily earlier, so can't be that worried. The post we saw from this friend of a friend got us a bit worried, that's all. Hopefully things aren't even worse when she emerges from the jungle.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They should be arrested for that, hope you have reported them, although I'm not sure what the police could actually do.
The post has been deleted now I assume it was because they were getting some heat in the few comments I saw from a screenshot, it was on one of those 'For Sale' pages, so I'm not 100% sure how it works.
Is infant formula pricing fixed in the UK? You certainly can’t discount it and it is always excluded from supermarket vouchers for this reason.
Not 100% sure, it wasn't a shop selling it just one of a good few people out there buying up stuff they think other people will need and then trying to make a boat load of money off it.

Carolina Red

Staff
My wife now has a Covid-19 patient. It's wild... she and the doctor are the only people allowed in the patient's room. The room is a negative pressure room, so it circulates its own air to prevent room to room cross contamination. She must wear full bio-hazard PPE with respirator. There is a person assigned to watch the door to the room and to make sure that she puts on and takes off the PPE properly each time she goes in and out of the room to protect against exposure.

Also - she treated a patient about a month ago who died of a diagnosis of "respiratory failure". They didn't even know what to look for or have testing kits at the time, but she said the patient back then had all the same symptoms of the one she's treating now. This patient was not in a negative pressure room, so the air that went into it was circulated to the other rooms around it.

Last edited:

stepic

You really have to wonder how businesses even large businesses can survive if everyone is essentially in lockdown until July or August.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Is infant formula pricing fixed in the UK? You certainly can’t discount it and it is always excluded from supermarket vouchers for this reason.
Unsure about formula but I've bought baby food (Ella's Kitchen) on offer before, I'm like a hawk on that shit. My mate reckons Tesco put the price of it up last week when this started, unsure if that's true or not.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
She said she would be in the jungle for the last week. Not sure if this is the last week or not. I think that included a bit of a trek as well as ayahuasca. Could well be that she's handed it over or just doesn't have signal. I'm sure her parents are more clued up on it anyway, and her brother was posting on Instagram happily earlier, so can't be that worried. The post we saw from this friend of a friend got us a bit worried, that's all. Hopefully things aren't even worse when she emerges from the jungle.
Does her friend of a friend also have the retreat page liked on Facebook as I have a few shamans on mine i can ask her status?

The Firestarter

My wife now has a Covid-19 patient. It's wild... she and the doctor are the only people allowed in the patient's room. The room is a negative pressure room, so it circulates its own air to prevent room to room cross contamination. She must wear full bio-hazard PPE with respirator. There is a person assigned to watch the door to the room and to make sure that she puts on and takes off the PPE properly each time she goes in and out of the room to protect against exposure.

Also - she treated a patient about a month ago who died of a diagnosis of "respiratory failure". They didn't even know what to look for or have testing kits at the time, but she said the patient back then had all the same symptoms of the one she's treating now.
Hope she stays safe.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So before reading through the pages I've missed over the last few hours can I just ask, is there any silver lining/glimour of hope - or am I going to want to bury my head in the sand?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
So before reading through the pages I've missed over the last few hours can I just ask, is there any silver lining/glimour of hope - or am I going to want to bury my head in the sand?
There's a glimmer of hope if, like me, you live in an affluent area with likeminded individuals and go out for roasts on Sundays.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
There's a glimmer of hope if, like me, you live in an affluent area with likeminded individuals and go out for roasts on Sundays.
Does anyone have link to the original post that this is all mocking?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
All doom and gloom here I’m afraid but as long as it stops Liverpool winning the league it is all ok.

Seriously don’t keep reading twitter posts that are posted here as you will be jumping from the nearest bridge. Go enjoy a film, read a book and switch off for a few hours.

Just be sensible whilst you are out and about.

SnowRoll

That's probably not a bad thing, means that more people have had it than we realise and the death rate may be lower.
Good point. I was thinking about the chances of getting infected.
In that case, isn't the CFR a lot closer to that of the flu, compared to the current numbers?

Carolina Red

Staff
Does anyone have link to the original post that this is all mocking?
(He edited it)
Im head of PE at a very large primary school and myself, and my Pe team who are all self employed, plus the 40-50 staff and 800 + children will be in as normal tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. I’ve just actually had a roast and few drinks in a local pubs alongside a lot of the parents. Luckily we live and work in a very likeminded area, not mass panic. People doing as they’re told and getting on with it whilst getting on with life too.

Carolina Red

Staff
That's probably not a bad thing, means that more people have had it than we realise and the death rate may be lower.
People have also died of it and have been misdiagnosed, which more than likely will have followed the same ratio as what we are seeing confirmed.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
So what is the current level of thinking about how this particular virus behaves with different weather conditions?
Seem to be contradciting and mixed opinions on it, although everything I can find on Google tonight seems to say it's unlikely the heat will make a difference due to Singapore having an outbreak despite hot autumn weather.

You really have to wonder how businesses even large businesses can survive if everyone is essentially in lockdown until July or August.
Well I'm a small business/self-employed and I'm anticipating this being the end of it. I know it sounds like virtue signalling, but honestly I'd rather we were all locked down - I'd rather keep people safe, economy be damned. I suppose I'm lucky in that I live alone, have very few expenses and will cope without an income for a time. Many will not.

Irwin99

This quote on the guardian article caught my eye;

In Japan the only cluster with more than 50 cases is in Osaka, where infections spread from events in a live music venue

Obviously it says 'events' plural, but isn't this evidence of the obvious that big events/gatherings should have been absolutely cracked down upon sooner. Specifically, as far as the UK goes, I can't believe a Stereophonics show or a marathon were allowed to go ahead only in the last week :nervous: Even the match at Anfield before that.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Shits real, so protect yourself and your family the best you can. The best way to do that is not to lose your mind, hope or bury heads in the sand. Focus on what you have control over, take in the necessary information you need to be efficient in your motivation to protect the things you care about. A healthy dose of fear is needed, too much or too little is dangerous. Be aware, but keep distance, allow relaxation and reflection in moments to stay sane.

Conor

Why have the people backing the UK's original plan resigned themselves to the fact that hundreds of thousands will die? Where is the actual proof of that at the moment? China certainly haven't experienced this as of yet(nearly 4 months in), surely you would want to take as many preventative measures as possible to stop the loss of life first, and then if it does happen, at least you tried to stop it as best you could? This whole 'well loads are going to die either way, so we might as well save the economy' seems so odd, when you don't really know the tangible, longterm effect of any measures yet.

0le

Seem to be contradciting and mixed opinions on it, although everything I can find on Google tonight seems to say it's unlikely the heat will make a difference due to Singapore having an outbreak despite hot autumn weather.

Well I'm a small business/self-employed and I'm anticipating this being the end of it. I know it sounds like virtue signalling, but honestly I'd rather we were all locked down - I'd rather keep people safe, economy be damned. I suppose I'm lucky in that I live alone, have very few expenses and will cope without an income for a time. Many will not.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Why have the people backing the UK's original plan resigned themselves to the fact that hundreds of thousands will die? Where is the actual proof of that at the moment? China certainly haven't experienced this as of yet(nearly 4 months in), surely you would want to take as many preventative measures as possible to stop the loss of life first, and then if it does happen, at least you tried to stop it as best you could? This whole 'well loads are going to die either way, so we might as well save the economy' seems so odd, when you don't really know the tangible, longterm effect of any measures yet.
China went on lockdown fairly early I believe. Also imposed pretty strict measures.

Revan

Assumptionman
The theory is that once the lockdown is finished, the virus spreading will go exponential again. In which case, you need another lockdown. And so on.

And no country has the economical capabilities to stay in lockdown until end of 2021, when we can assume mass vaccination will be possible (maybe a bit earlier like summer 2021).

I am not saying that I think this is the case, but this seems to be the logic behind it. And well, I am a bit afraid that they are right, otherwise UK's plan (and US, Netherlands, Sweden) is nuts. I am afraid that they have checked all the possibilities and have come to that conclusion.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It seems to be based on a lock down followed by a 100% return to normal. Which isn't going to happen.

Revan

Assumptionman
It seems to be based on a lock down followed by a 100% return to normal. Which isn't going to happen.
feck, no more pubbing and clubbing.

I wonder what are the chances that there won't be flights from the US to Europe (a few weeks from now, until the vaccine comes).