SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Government promising all this money to business’s is all well and good but I’m not convinced many owners will use them as intended. I’m sure many will still put their staff on unpaid leave/minimum wage and keep some profit for themselves. Hopefully the money filters down to the staff as it should.
They need to be named and shamed if not worse. Think actually we need a thread for the heroes and villains as we go through all of this tbh. Those standing up and making a difference and those scurrying off to their private islands with a doctor in tow to wait it out whilst begging taxpayers to bail out their airline.

mu4c_20le

Germany's death rate is at 0.27%. Quite remarkable.
If the tracker i'm looking at is accurate, they only have 2 out of over 8000 cases that are deemed serious. The rest are mild condition and expected to recover. Spain is a little higher with about 500 in critical but still nowhere near as Italy's which is 4 times more.

Skills

Snitch
Their numbers are staggering. Are we expecting them to start falling soon?
Eventually. If they can just stabilise them, that initself would be an achievement - i.e. the number of new patients = the number of recoveries.

432JuanMata

It’s like Ireland’s but the same is that most people have it and not many have recovered so that will shoot up. But it won’t get too anywhere like Italy(hopefully). Expect Germany rate to increase over the next week or two but if they can keep it at 1-2% it would be amazing

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
If the tracker i'm looking at is accurate, they only have 2 out of over 8000 cases that are deemed serious. The rest are mild condition and expected to recover. Spain is a little higher with about 500 in critical but still nowhere near as Italy's which is 4 times more.
How is that so different from Italy? Can't just be age demographics surely.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Dunno where you are, but I wish I was still in Singapore, but had to come back to the UK due to work and my cat. I'd stay out of here as long as you can in all seriousness.
Phuket, Thailand. No big drama here. In fact its the increased panic over the weekend from western countries that is now freaking out the locals.

432JuanMata

How is that so different from Italy? Can't just be age demographics surely.
Most only have got it over the last few days while Italy have had it for weeks it gets serious over a few days. Germany had 6 deaths so far today in a week they will push a lot more than that

Withnail

To people in UK:

Im outside UK right now and UK citizen. Do you think its likely UK will shut down all entry into country including its own citizens abroad.

My flight back is 25th March an am happy where I am.

Not sure of I should bring date forward. Serious advice/opinion greatly received.
I don't think any country will stop their own citizens coming back. At worst I'd say you'd have to self-isolate when you come back.

The main concern I'd have is whether there will still be flights entering and leaving the country you are in.

A lot of the airlines may just stop flying as they can no longer afford it. Ryan air have announced they are to ground most of their fleet in the next 7-10 days.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
To people in UK:

Im outside UK right now (Phuket, where its calm and very low reduced instances . Do you think its likely UK will shut down all entry into country including its own citizens abroad. I am a UK citizen.

My flight back is 25th March an am happy where I am.

Not sure of I should bring date forward. Serious advice/opinion greatly received.
I think the Foreign Secretary's message should be read as if you don't get home imminently, don't expect us to prioritise getting you home. If you're going abroad, do so in the knowledge we are advising you not to and don't expect us to prioritise getting you home.

Bosws87

Italy’s numbers are through the roof the amount of cases is nowhere near close it doesn’t add up with anyone else’s data.
Closer to 150k-200k people if we are estimating we in reality have 55k cases here in the UK

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Phuket, Thailand. No big drama here. In fact its the increased panic over the weekend from western countries that is now freaking out the locals.
Same- three and a half weeks in Singapore and Australia and all's calm and fine, then come back to a shitstorm with lousy weather. Can you 'work from home' there on a laptop?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The world should really exert maximum pressure on China to keep these wet markets shut down permanently.

Basically more critical than keeping Iran and NKorea free of nuclear weapons.
It's not only China though is it? This type of market pervades south east asia. And what of Africa and the taste for bush meat? Until the rest of the world develops, we'll not get away from this kind of thing whilst the risks to the greater world will surely continue to increase.

Baxter

Our work still expecting everyone in. Tested everyone could work from home if expected but seem reluctant to push the button on that.

Instead stick with ridiculous measures like staying 2m away from each other and avoiding the kitchen. Spent ages setting up monitors and phones across the room to still use the same toilets, handles and taps as everyone else.
Lad with Crohns given a private office, but again using all the same facilities.

Very quiet too with the uncertainty, so it just seems pointless to keep this up.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
How the feck is a journo not saying that his own fecking father doesn't even understand about not going to pubs!
They asked him already and he ducked it. Trouble is every one of these journo's tries to squeeze in 2/3 long winded questions every time and miss their chance.

Stactix

Schools should really close at this point, our trust has had to close one from tommorow onwards ( mentioned earlier with 10+ staff missing today) agencies that provide supply teachers don't have the availability and we're a trust with some teachers working in multiple schools so the additional capacity is higher than most schools.
got the call literally while walking home an hour ago to update our website/social media.

They've also done a check on staff for anyone that meets any of the listed conditions should social distance/ self isolate, this has been sent out to parents to keep those at risk at home ideally.
Just realised, both my boss and colleague have one of these conditions and I believe they'll be working from home. Leaving me to be the only IT support for 5 schools.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I love how Macron announced 300 million Euros, so the UK government went for 330 million pounds.

redshaw

Not sure if you missed it before but Germany have done 135k testing in last two weeks where as other countries were recently 20-40k or less in total. No doubt Germany have better healthcare.

Also shows the situation is not that severe yet in Germany, perhaps down to not being a tourist hotspot like Italy, France and Madrid and have implemented a lot of measures and closed the borders. Think they will manage this much better than most in Europe, lots of ICU beds.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't think any country will stop their own citizens coming back. At worst I'd say you'd have to self-isolate when you come back.

The main concern I'd have is whether there will still be flights entering and leaving the country you are in.

A lot of the airlines may just stop flying as they can no longer afford it. Ryan air have announced they are to ground most of their fleet in the next 7-10 days.
My return flight is Phuket-Doha-London and on a codeshare between Qatar Airways and BA. Both are still running those flights (Qatar allowing people to enter only for transit purposes and inside specific zone inside Hamad airport).

My reasoning is Qatar Government will ensure their airline keeps afloat, if they close, then I get swapped onto BA

I think the Foreign Secretary's message should be read as if you don't get home imminently, don't expect us to prioritise getting you home. If you're going abroad, do so in the knowledge we are advising you not to and don't expect us to prioritise getting you home.
Yeah, its wishy-washy like BJ's advice yesterday, Wish they would be definitive.

Smores

The US making it rain with some helicopter money. Who would have thought it'd be Trump to enact such a leftist policy :lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
My neighbour who is retired and i guess sixtyish was so bullish when i asked him was he afraid of the current climate. "Others will die; i wont even get it."

The naivety of some people.

Hopefully they lock down Ireland soon.

spiriticon

Not sure if you missed it before but Germany have done 135k testing in last two weeks where as other countries were recently 20-40k or less in total. No doubt Germany have better healthcare.

Also shows the situation is not that severe yet in Germany, perhaps down to not being a tourist hotspot like Italy, France and Madrid and have implemented a lot of measures and closed the borders. Think they will manage this much better than most in Europe, lots of ICU beds.
The key to a low death rate then seems to be testing testing testing.

South Korea also test loads and have a remarkably low ICU/death rate

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yeah, its wishy-washy like BJ's advice yesterday, Wish they would be definitive.
If people want to go abroad, let them. The value of closing borders in stop the spread now is minimal. Some people have got difficult decisions to make in terms of caring or business needs. There's going to be minimal travel anyway.