SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Death toll up to 71 - 45 year old the youngest to pass.
R.I.P - far too young.

Any info on the person? Conditions existing etc?

Targetting individual Chinese people is wrong.

But it can't be denied that the Chinese government is directly responsible for this. Not just because they allowed the wet markets to be reopened, but because they then actively went about covering up the outbreak.
Agree - it is essentially a 'Chinese Virus', thousands of people are dying because of it. They should accept responsibility.

And in UK, Patrick Vallance and Boris Nonsense and whoever else @TMDaines etc were telling us had this all planned out should also be accepting responsibility for the unnecessary deaths and illnesses their dithering idiocy has and will continue to cause.

24,981 deaths from the flu in one year?
We had 28k in England a few years ago
Are these numbers defo legit?

Withnail

They did, but also they have a top class health service, people are looking at infection rates which really now are pointless as we dont really know how much testing is going on. Germany also doing well while infection rates are higher their death rate is low and crtically ill is low. This is what we need to emulate now.
I'm not sure I follow.

It's quite difficult to emulate a top class health service when you don't already have one.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
24,981 deaths from the flu in one year?
I'm hopeful that one thing this pandemic will do is educate the world on the benefit of widespread vaccination. I get an annual flu shot but really didn't pay attention to how many died per year. We have to do better. Enough of the "I'm strong don't need it" mentality. We need to start protecting the herd.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
On the bright side, if you've been eating American take away every day since you moved there, you'll probably die of something else before the virus gets you.
If he’s been eating chlorinated chicken he’s probably immune to everything

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just be careful in airports, try to find gloves and masks and touch nothing unnecessarry. Also be a bit more paranoid and think about often washing your hands during your travel.
Thanks for your concern and advice buddy.

Classical Mechanic

R.I.P - far too young.

Agree - it is essentially a 'Chinese Virus', thousands of people are dying because of it. They should accept responsibility.

And in UK, Patrick Vallance and Boris Nonsense and whoever else @TMDaines etc were telling us had this all planned out should also be accepting responsibility for the unnecessary deaths and illnesses their dithering idiocy has and will continue to cause.

13k in 2008/09 seems legit

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If thats true its worring but would they really cover up reason for death?
I think cover up is a bit strong, but if I am right, I suppose it's not far wrong actually. It just seems wholly unlikely that the death rate here is so minimal compared to anywhere else. My feeling is that Germany only took this seriously yesterday.

Revan

Assumptionman
On the bright side, if you've been eating American take away every day since you moved there, you'll probably die of something else before the virus gets you.
It is mostly Chinese, Indian and Thai, so it should be fine. I probably need to go and buy some vegetables, and eat only veggie and cheese for a few days.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
R.I.P - far too young.

Seasonal flu can kil between 300,000 and 600,000 a year world wide.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not sure I follow.

It's quite difficult to emulate a top class health service when you don't already have one.
And the location of the hotspots will also have a big impact on mortality and critical cases figures. Currently in France in the south west(Occitanie and Grand Aquitaine) there is "only" 5 death and 500 confirmed cases in a population of 12m inhabitants while the Grand Est has 51 death and 1573 confirmed cases in a population of 5.5m.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I don't see this as a "Chinese virus", I see it as a "the world is smaller" virus. People moving freely from one country to another in very short periods of time is what's caused this rapid spread.

Even when I was young air travel wasn't something you just did on a whim, it was expensive and a big deal. Now that flights to many places are cheap as chips, people go abroad just for a weekend of partying or shopping, or for a meeting.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't see this as a "Chinese virus", I see it as a "the world is smaller" virus. People moving freely from one country to another in very short periods of time is what's caused this rapid spread.

Even when I was young air travel wasn't something you just did on a whim, it was expensive and a big deal. Now that flights to many places are cheap as chips, people go abroad just for a weekend of partying or shopping, or for a meeting.
I kinda agree, but........bushmeat, wet markets......where else do such devastating viruses originate from?

I'll add that Africa and China in this respect are the birthplaces are they not?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not sure I follow.

You do you best to stop it collapsing and give it absolutely everything it needs, its pretty clear the critially ill need venelators, keep beds free, keep staff health.

Skills

Snitch
I kinda agree, but........bushmeat, wet markets......where else do such devastating viruses originate from?

I'll add that Africa and China in this respect are the birthplaces are they not?
Swine flu originated in the US IIRC.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph

Yes I'd agree with this. It's not like they invented the virus. It was just an unfortunate thing to happen and then because of the way the world is now it spread like crazy.
These wet markets should definitely be stopped now but it's just a different culture to ours. Pig and chicken factories would look equally horrifying to other countries/cultures that don't have them so we are really no better.

My wife is from Hong Kong and has had some funny looks recently when she is out, she could just be imagining it but there will definitely be an increase in racial incidents against Chinese (or Chinese looking) people as this goes on.

Whatever happens, recent history will be divided into a before covid-19 and after covid-19

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

Completely agree.

It's somewhat analogous to what happened with the Spanish flu, some experts claim it were the mass new transportation systems becoming available coupled with large movements of troops during WWI that made it travel so quickly around the globe.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is floating around in a few whatsapp and Facebook groups Im in. Not sure of validity or accuracy.

========================================

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

Deery

Dreary
A reply I got from Newbie @Logit thought it was well explained in the way the government will pay for the £330B.

Some of the calculations may be off as he took them off the top of his head.

[
I can't post in the thread because I'm not a full member.

But in response to that post, this will be likely funded by government borrowing and QE. The capital markets will be receptive as many funds have moved away from stocks over the last few weeks to cash/bonds and this will be seen as prudent fiscal expansion.

Debt burden will increase in the future but at 30 years 1% + inflation, but if the government fulfil the entire £330bn it will amount to around £15bn in annual interest repayments. Which is around 2% of current government spending. This is assuming there are no QE measures for this debt specifically (i.e printing money) and that all of these government-backed loans made available today default. This is a manageable debt burden.

The idea is to keep businesses and participants in the labour force around for when the restrictions can be lifted and normality resumed and a recovery to take place. Not providing any relief would likely see SME and household insolvencies rise significantly thus stalling any recovery when it is feasible.

it's not a money tree, there will be a cost to put onto future generations to pay but the other option is economic depression which would be far more costly. China's 1 month of lockdown in Wuhan reduced GDP by 13%, that's equivalent to £175bn lost in the British economy. Considering this lockdown is expecting to last a full year, the total loss of GDP could be £1tn if a fiscal stimulus is not applied now and confidence returned to the market that the economy will structurally be the same when the restrictions on daily life are lifted.
/QUOTE]

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
With respect you're not actually saying anything.

How do you do that?
I really dont see whats not to see, you provide stafe with the proper safty gear to reduce the chances of them getting sick, you keep the hospital staffed to good levels, you source or start making ventilators and you keep admittian to hospital only for those that just need it. Whats not to get? Are you saying we cant reduce death rates by not managing the hospitals to the best of our ability?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Seasonal flu can kil between 300,000 and 600,000 a year world wide.
Taking my figures from here, i looked a few week ago when people were comparing it to the flu.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-compare-influenza/
Cheers fellas, really appreciate the info. Crazy numbers aren't they? Average Flu Deaths in U.K annually 600, but in 2013/14 11,000 Deaths! That's insane, and crazy that I'd never heard anything about it...

I was trying to find out how many deaths Flu has cause in UK this year thus far but just couldn't get the numbers anywhere.

This is floating around in a few whatsapp and Facebook groups Im in. Not sure of validity or accuracy.

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.
Please, please be true!

Dante

Average bang

It's not worth paying any attention to.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yes I'd agree with this. It's not like they invented the virus. It was just an unfortunate thing to happen and then because of the way the world is now it spread like crazy.
These wet markets should definitely be stopped now but it's just a different culture to ours. Pig and chicken factories would look equally horrifying to other countries/cultures that don't have them so we are really no better.

My wife is from Hong Kong and has had some funny looks recently when she is out, she could just be imagining it but there will definitely be an increase in racial incidents against Chinese (or Chinese looking) people as this goes on.

Whatever happens, recent history will be divided into a before covid-19 and after covid-19

Don't want to get all 'conspiracy' on this, especially as I am prone to enjoy conspiracy theories ....

But the Chinese have been eating bats for who knows how long. ditto other animals non Chinese people might find strange and their wet markets have had these conditions for ages. What was so special about this specific bat that one person apparently ate, that turned into this global panic?

PS: Chinese can eat what they like and do as they like, in their country. Their cultural norms and traditions are just as valid as anyone else.

Drawfull

A lot of those have been reported in the MSM so I guess it might be accurate

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm at a place called Soi TaiEd, which is now basically the worlds fitness 'Mecca'. Its a 1km long road/village which has 8 mega gyms catering to all fitness sports ranging from MMA, Muay Thai, boxing, BJJ, cross fit, HIIT, weightloss boot camps etc, supported by loads of healthy eating restaurants, sports/non dodgy massage houses and cheapish accommodation. Place is full of like minded people: want to get fit through to elite fighters getting ready to become professional.

Its bliss for me right now: I do cross fit and powerlifting: workout 2 or 3 times a day, great food, new people all with common interests. Beach is 10 min ride away. Sin Street 25 mins away, if that floats your boat!

Coming back to UK sounds like nightmare!!

How much does it cost to stay there?

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes and this is what surprises me.

Maybe you could fill us in on how people behaved in Kosovo in 99 (those that werent forced to leave), but over here, during the bombing, the streets were deserted.
Was a kid back then (8 years old) and was forced to leave, so cannot know for sure. From what I heard people saying, people were staying exclusively at home, but I am not first-order witness.

I think there the risk was present, while now it is more an abstract term on 'what can be'. It was insane to see my city being quarantined (my sister who lives in Kosovo sent me a video of everything empty like a deserted place), while in some other cities the life going a bit more normally (schools and most of jobs are suspended, but some people still going out). For some people it seems that 'it is just a flu' mentality is continuing and will continue until they see people in their city dying.

Kosovo acted quite fast (closing all borders and suspending all flights), but still it went from 0 to 17 in less than a week, with all traced to people who came recently in Kosovo.

And finally, for some dose of insanity, there was a small clash (no injured people) between some Albanians and some Serbians in Mitrovico. I mean, what on the flying feck. Just stick them together and give them a vaccine with real viruses. Of course, the politicians in both sides (the city has 2 municipalities with 2 majors, an Albanian for the Southern part, and a Serbian for the Northern part) put the blame to each other.

Jesus Christ, how cnutish people can be even in this situation. Just fecking stay at home you miserable twats!

Why do you think you will not catch it from them?
I have 10 second contact with another person per day, and then quickly wash my hands. Unless they coughed in the packaged food deliberately, it should be fine. At the end of the day, no guarantees, but I don't have too many options. Living in cans for a few months is probably worse than catching it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How much does it cost to stay there?
Taking into account flights from UK, travel insurance, gym membership and personal training, accommodation, food, extra's for R&R island hopping and weekend excursions.

For one month: £2,000 is comfortable basic, £3,000 very comfortable, £4,000 deluxe.

If this is your kind of thing defo worth coming for a month once this crisis is over. Its amazing for what it is. PM me if you need recommendations etc.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Don't want to get all 'conspiracy' on this, especially as I am prone to enjoy conspiracy theories ....

But the Chinese have been eating bats for who knows how long. ditto other animals non Chinese people might find strange and their wet markets have had these conditions for ages. What was so special about this specific bat that one person apparently ate, that turned into this global panic?

PS: Chinese can eat what they like and do as they like, in their country. Their cultural norms and traditions are just as valid as anyone else.
It wasn't one bat that somebody ate. It was meat from a 'wet market' - where wild animals are kept in disgusting conditions in cages stacked on top of each other.

The bats had been crammed into a cage with other animal cages stacked on top of them, they were then covered in faeces, blood and various other fluids from other animals. This caused a perfect storm for the virus to breed.

Check out this youtube video for a better explanation. Beware: Those 'wet markets' are fecking disgusting.

onemanarmy

Businesses shut too?
There is a press conference later. Restaurants, bars and most shops have been closed already. I expect we can only go to work, grocery stores and pharmacies. Recommended to work from home. All recreational activities outside will be forbidden it seems.

Withnail

I really dont see whats not to see, you provide stafe with the proper safty gear to reduce the chances of them getting sick, you keep the hospital staffed to good levels, you source or start making ventilators and you keep admittian to hospital only for those that just need it. Whats not to get? Are you saying we cant reduce death rates by not managing the hospitals to the best of our ability?
You seemed to be suggesting there was something that Singapore/Germany were doing that was out of the ordinary.

Keeping the hospital staffed and equipped would be a given surely?

In saying that, that isn't all that's going on and that isn't enough to prevent the spread of the virus becoming unmanageable by said health service.