SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Absolutely determined not to let them get their insurance payouts.
Not really. The PM and Chancellor were explicit today multiple times that insurance companies are expected to pay out.

Closing all dining businesses would harm some communities. I think it would be the wrong approach.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
On a lighter note; does anyone think that this essential travel only" thing is going to go on for long?

Drawfull

Not really. The PM and Chancellor were explicit today multiple times that insurance companies are expected to pay out.

Closing all dining businesses would harm some communities. I think it would be the wrong approach.
Yeah but we have to hate the Tory wankers. Or something. I thought today's briefing was pretty good, though I've been less impressed with their media rounds this morning. It only really effects my family in UK, so I do pay attention.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I’m wondering what will the point of closed borders be when it’s present everywhere in similar capacity. Once Spain, France and Italy sort themselves out with their high infection rate, considering all countries bar UK are taking similar measures, it should stabilize soon. What important would someone traveling to any other country have then?

Absolutely determined not to let them get their insurance payouts.
It's exactly what other countries have done. A lot of people are unable to cook and will rely on delivery services, plus it keeps some staff in employment.

VP

PS: Chinese can eat what they like and do as they like, in their country. Their cultural norms and traditions are just as valid as anyone else.
This is just nonsense. When cultural norms cause so much damage to the world they obviously have to be stopped.

Not only did the Chinese government deliberately overlook these weird eating habits, they then actively covered up the initial outbreak. I don't see how we can blame anyone else and I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a bigger global backlash to this.

Fener1907

They don’t like classical music actually. A farmer near where I grew up had the old barn where bats liked to live.
He put a radio in there with Classic FM on to drive them away. In the UK they’re a protected species so if they start living in your roof it’s illegal to dispose of them, you have to let them live in there. He later sold the barn for development. It was pretty eerie walking past the barn on those dark foggy nights with no one around with only classical music playing, especially before I knew the reason for it.
I like learning things like this and the creepy visual. Must have made for some interesting theories before finding out the actual reason.

As an aside, wondered why they're a protected species and it says it's "because their numbers have declined so dramatically." Tempting to look at them as loathsome little things after this but they obviously have their part in the ecosystem.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That was so weird. If I have to I will :confused: :lol:
"Well I wasn't planning on going to the pub, but my wife was kidnapped and I was told she will only be released if I go to the pub tonight. I simply had to go."

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Insurance companies are expected to pay out? I know personal two restaurants who have looked into it and they wont get a penny while they remain open, nor will they if they close due to lack of trade. There’s been some celeb chefs on twitter insinuating the same thing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think you'll always be allowed 'home'. What are they going to do, tag all of you so they can tell where you've come from?
I meant more for people visiting from another country. For example; from Australia to the Land of Haggis? Will they be allowed in or will we get to a point very soon where there's a total lockdown on leaving your country to visit another?

Skills

Snitch
because the over crowded wet markets where different animals are stacked onto of each other and pass on their excrement, viruses and other crap to each other (shown in VDO above) have been around for ages. These unhygienic and virtually unregulated markets exist all across SE Asia, China and Africa too.

Surely super powerful viruses would develop regularly under such conditions. Why only SARs 20 years ago and now convid19?
Because genetic mutation is random.

A whole load of things had to line up for this thing to fall into place. From the virus mutating into exactly the right form, the host of this particular form & patient0 being in exactly the right place at the right for it to happen.

hobbers

because the over crowded wet markets where different animals are stacked onto of each other and pass on their excrement, viruses and other crap to each other (shown in VDO above) have been around for ages. These unhygienic and virtually unregulated markets exist all across SE Asia, China and Africa too.

Surely super powerful viruses would develop regularly under such conditions. Why only SARs 20 years ago and now convid19?
No. When it comes to mutagenesis and species-hopping it's all a game of infinitesimal probabilities.

But to be absolutely clear, the only place these viruses can develop, outside of a lab, is in a huge wet market. The more live animals there are, the more different species, the more squalid the conditions and the more people passing through all ramps up the likelihood (but the overall likelihood is still tiny).

So yes, the world very much has a right to say to China, and any other country letting these giant wet markets go on: Nah, your traditions can get fecked, these end now.

TheGame

Insurance companies are expected to pay out? I know personal two restaurants who have looked into it and they wont get a penny while they remain open, nor will they if they close due to lack of trade. There’s been some celeb chefs on twitter insinuating the same thing.
Is that due to their policy though? The Chancellor was clear that companies should pay out.

Drawfull

I meant more for people visiting from another country. For example; from Australia to the Land of Haggis? Will they be allowed in or will we get to a point very soon where there's a total lockdown on leaving your country to visit another?
So you're not really a pigeon? Feck.

I think they will extend it as long as they need to. My folks have been being quaratined on a boat off brazil, but are expected to leave within 24/48 hours back to UK, so there are routes available but I (and they) are not sure how much the FCO have to do with their repatriation.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Tempting to look at them as loathsome little things after this but they obviously have their part in the ecosystem.
They're not. What's loathsome is the wet market environments they find themselves in as meat products, which affords these viruses the opportunity to jump to other animals and then us.

Oh, and also the incompetent and arrogant government that allows these breeding grounds to continue unchecked in a world where people can travel thousands of kilometers in a day taking illnesses places they'd never have reached in the past. That government is also loathsome.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is that due to their policy though? The Chancellor was clear that companies should pay out.
Yes, of course it’s down to their policy. If there’s anyone who has a policy that covers this scenario I’ll be shocked.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I guess I'm going to be spending a lot of time the next few days to see if I can save myself and my employee. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm not overly elated by any news of help just yet until I see the hoops and tape.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
No, I don't drink very often myself. I have a healthy supply of ganja, though.
Coronavirus has seriously cut down on my grass intake...

A *smigeon* too much and I'm in a World of bleak paranoia beyond the norm.

For me it always heightens and brings out anything that's bothering me or that I need to sort out - and this bothers me a lot (obviously, as I want to survive along with my family), and yet I can't sort it!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Coronavirus has seriously cut down on my grass intake...

A *smigeon* too much and I'm in a World of bleak paranoia beyond the norm.

For me it always heightens and brings out anything that's bothering me or that I need to sort out - and this bothers me a lot (obviously, as I want to survive along with my family), and yet I can't sort it!
Yes, that can happen. Sometimes it also makes me cough :nervous:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
BMJ released an article today supporting research in France that the use of Ibuprofen may worsen your symptoms of Covid19 due to the drug and virus using similar channels into cells (ARB).

So Paracetamol ideally ladies and gents if you’ve got a confirmed fever.

redshaw

No, she doesn't. It was mostly her deduction and chatting with other people.

There could be still some variance, but it is too much for it to be variance. They have over 9k cases with 24 deaths, France has 7k with 175 deaths, while Spain has 11k with 510 deaths. Statistically, this looks weird.
South Korea has 8320 cases but just 81 deaths. they have done 250k tests. Germany have done 135k in the last two weeks and maybe up to 160k in total. Spain had found about 8000+ cases with just 30k tested. You can see Spain like Italy have large outbreak

I've thought before Germany might've been leaving out some with more serious underlying issues and waiting on postmortems and perhaps there's some small difference and errors. The real figure may still be low, like 70-80 but I think the large scale testing in a short space of time means they add a large amount of mild cases simply out of scope of other countries up until recently.

After lockdown in Italy, they got to do a lot more testing and doubled it very quickly so I expect soon Spain and maybe France to get more done so these figures are just from recent days. Don't quote me saying Spain have done 50k now, in a few days time. I expect them to do more with a lockdown and everyone will be ramping up testing as more kits and quicker results are coming.

Germany will probably start seeing more deaths as the outbreak catches up and stretches the health service. Seems to be on severity right now with many factors playing a role, it's Italy/Spain, then France and UK/Germany.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Yes, that can happen. Sometimes it also makes me cough :nervous:
Haha, yeah, since this is all really kicked off I've probably halved my intake (which was already a lot lower than it used to be), and I've always found that Red Wine makes a beautiful companion to grass during times of heightened stress... just mellows the edge off.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
PS: Chinese can eat what they like and do as they like, in their country. Their cultural norms and traditions are just as valid as anyone else.
oh ffs

So it doesn't matter if they infect the entire world twice in about 20 years and be at fault for potentially millions of people dying, it's important to keep their culture intact?

Rhyme Animal

Isn't that the whole point of this whole situation?

They have to act when the data suggests they should do. There will be backlash no matter what they do.

We are in unprecedented times.
Kind of agree, but at the same time I can understand the sentiment of @Sweet Square here.

I think a lot of people have been surprised at the lack of planning by the World's Superpowers during this crisis (not just U.K's 'planning') - I mean, we've been due a proper Pandemic for literally decades... think of the power and resources of these Governments in the technological age ffs.

You'd think there'd be an immediate model and protocol to follow at the first inkling of a Pandemic.

Indeed as @Di Maria's angel myself and a number of others were so frustrated about in the early days of this very crisis was that you'd have thought there'd have been Global protocol of lockdown the country affected, aid goes in, no-one comes out, get it under control and slowly test the waters until the situation is sorted. This could have been done.

Instead you've got a Global fecking Pandemic, and you've got EVERY country in lockdown anyway.

Think how much gets spent by U.K, U.S, Russia every year on weapons and defence... there shouldn't be such a drastic shortage of ICU beds and resources. Again, the World has been due a Pandemic for decades.

I think it's completely fair for pretty much every Government to come under heavy criticism for lack of planning - they've been caught napping, and have clearly grown complacent in many key areas.

Fener1907

No. When it comes to mutagenesis and species-hopping it's all a game of infinitesimal probabilities.
Had to look up two words in this sentence. As somebody who appears to know more than the average person on this, even if they kept a vast array of animals in the same place, would basic hygiene practices see the possibility dramatically reduce enough to quash any concerns of a future outbreak, or would they need to go further and simply not keep that many there to begin with?

They're not. What's loathsome is the wet market environments they find themselves in as meat products, which affords these viruses the opportunity to jump to other animals and then us.

Oh, and also the incompetent and arrogant government that allows these breeding grounds to continue unchecked in a world where people can travel thousands of kilometers in a day taking illnesses places they'd never have reached in the past. That government is also loathsome.
I had no idea what a "wet market" even was before any of this. Having now seen them, it looks like too much of a gamble to get meat from them. The outdoor markets here that predominantly sell fruits and vegetables do also sell fish but can't trust that because who knows if they kept it frozen at all times.