SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Pretty much everyone is testing far more than the UK right now.
The thing ist every nation would like to test more. But in most health systems there is a capacity problem.
Either there are test kits missing and production cannot be ramped up, because ingredients are not available.
Or the laboratory capacity is not enough to analyze the incoming tests

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
While other countries are flying their citizens home for free.

This is extortion and the British embassy in Peru should hang their heads in shame for endorsing it.

That 1 way to London is 10 times the price as normal.

Just curious what you expected to happen with airlines dramatically scaling back flights and the ramping up of calls warning against travel, culminating with the Foreign Secretary's announcement a few days ago?

My mum and dad are in Turkey on holiday and may well face a similar predicament soon, but I can't really sympathise with them. They chose to go out there even when this started to get real and thought my suggestion of considering whether to cut their holiday short was just a manifestation of me being worried about my wife living through this while 8 months pregnant! They just didn't seem to get it.

The Guardian picked up the story for Australian citizens yesterday: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...k-try-to-raise-300000-for-charter-flight-home

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Same here. Couldn't buy any meat or fish end of last week, everything is in order now and there are almost no people in supermarkets because everyone has a ton of food at home. I have enough food at home to get through 3-4 weeks comfortably. If I restricted myself to aglio e olio with chorizo, garlic and pepper I could probably survive 2 weeks on my supplies and that's quite tasty to be honest.
As long as I am getting a little fruit and veg otherwise, I'm very happy living on aglio e olio and cacio e pepe for a while! I'm running out of colatura di alici though. Can't get that too easily in the UK.

Patchbeard

While other countries are flying their citizens home for free.

This is extortion and the British embassy in Peru should hang their heads in shame for endorsing it.

That 1 way to London is 10 times the price as normal.

Are you in Peru? You live there right? Are you trying to get back to UK or staying out?

My sister is one of those stuck out there. She is a doctor who was doing a research project in Puno, so it's just not a case of travellers not following advice as in that response above. They tried to change their scheduled flight (from May) earlier in the week and travel to Lima for it, but before they could get there the flights were cancelled and they are now stuck in lockdown back in Puno.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The UK government modelling was based on one flawed paper about a totally different virus. They completely ignored all the learning and work done by the Chinese and WHO and decided they were cleverer than everyone else. Since that time they've been slowly having to U-turn on just about everything they've said. And what's more the media and other deferential types like you have only made excuses for them. They fecked up and they should take the blame for the thousands of extra deaths they have caused.
Comments like this that are patently false are some of the most damaging bits of fake news you could see online right now.

redshaw

Are they testing more widely? I assume our outbreak is much worse than Germany given the death rate?
Yes they are, 135k in last two weeks.

UK was ahead of Spain and France in testing and probably still are but things can change in a lockdown when deaths and cases get significant. Italy were similar to UK pre lockdown in tests but they had a far worse situation 2-3 weeks ago and since the lockdown when into testing overdrive which is understandable in what happened there.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Anyone heard anything new about potential UK lockdown?

I've read London could be imminent as a lot more cases there, but no idea on the rest of the country.

Daughter at Uni in Leeds and plans to come home "soon" (idiot, I told her to come home before now but doesn't listen to a word I say :rolleyes:). Will probably have to walk out of work at short notice at this rate and drive up to get her. Guessing if lockdown announced, will be short notice and can see major roads heaving as everyone goes to wherever.
Think if they lockdown London they will need to give some notice (will be plenty of people down there for work who need to arrange to get home)... Could see them announce today with a lockdown to start say Saturday?

Sweet Square

Somewhere in Ireland, @Sweet Square was just awoken by this post.
Sadly I live on the same dumpster island as yourself, so have got just as much to lose as any other poor fecker living with this tories government. But just couple of things

1).
I don't want the Tories to fail because it will mean thousands of deaths but that doesn't mean we ignore what is quite clearly a government with no fecking long term plan.

2)A Labour government respond would have clearly been better

Again just look at what the likes of Denmark, Norway and even France(Macron is a conservative btw)

3). The Boris is lying about NHS staff and the protection they are being offered

and the best you lot can come up with is lolz Corbyn is rubbish. It's very odd, mate.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Went shopping this morning in third day of "lockdown" - no queues outside supermarkets, only individuals (not couples- wife waited in car) allowed in but very quiet, not many customers , shops well stocked, even more than usual except for zero toilet paper. No queues at checkouts , bit eerie. Police quite visible which is unusual for our area , much less traffic.

Keep singing "Ghost Town" by the Specials.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Think if they lockdown London they will need to give some notice (will be plenty of people down there for work who need to arrange to get home)... Could see them announce today with a lockdown to start say Saturday?
They did that with Paris and tons of people immediately left for second homes in rural areas so they'd be somewhere more comfortable (and spread the virus much more widely).

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
near 50% increase in my district (nr Munich) yesterday. Lockdown in Bavaria on the way because idiots cannot stop having Corona parties all over the place. Germany, as backward as always.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You got eveidence on how “progressive” measures flatten the curve better than aggressive ones?
Nope, but I can see why they are needed. In an ideal world, where people could simply go home and lock themselves away with no economical repercussions or adverse effects to health service provision of course it would be great, but in reality we cant do that. Again its just my opinion.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
near 50% increase in my district (nr Munich) yesterday. Lockdown in Bavaria on the way because idiots cannot stop having Corona parties all over the place. Germany, as backward as always.
Definitely not exclusive to Germany, mate. It's the same people having Corona parties on Friday night (day before the lockdown here) which are now posting on social media with the #StayHome hashtag. Bellends.

Our coastline was still quite packed with people in the 65+ age group sitting around and reading / talking to each other, it seems like the necessary information and cautioning doesn't get to them or at the very minimum they don't take it seriously enough yet.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We have our share of morons here as well.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Anyone heard anything new about potential UK lockdown?

I've read London could be imminent as a lot more cases there, but no idea on the rest of the country.

Daughter at Uni in Leeds and plans to come home "soon" (idiot, I told her to come home before now but doesn't listen to a word I say :rolleyes:). Will probably have to walk out of work at short notice at this rate and drive up to get her. Guessing if lockdown announced, will be short notice and can see major roads heaving as everyone goes to wherever.
I think a co-ordinated global lock down is needed for about three to five weeks. No use one country locking down and then another country not, especially in Europe.

I still think Ireland should have locked down when Italy and Spain did.

Bill Ackman, who is top sort of finance man said if you shut down the world for one month, you can save the system. If this goes on for 18 months like some are suggesting, there is only going to be mayhem.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Just curious what you expected to happen with airlines dramatically scaling back flights and the ramping up of calls warning against travel, culminating with the Foreign Secretary's announcement a few days ago?

My mum and dad are in Turkey on holiday and may well face a similar predicament soon, but I can't really sympathise with them. They chose to go out there even when this started to get real and thought my suggestion of considering whether to cut their holiday short was just a manifestation of me being worried about my wife living through this while 8 months pregnant! They just didn't seem to get it.

The Guardian picked up the story for Australian citizens yesterday: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...k-try-to-raise-300000-for-charter-flight-home
My parents as well completely dont get it. They dont realize how contagious this virus is.

They are starting to come around to it now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They had to close one of the largest hospitals in Warsaw indefinitely because one of the doctors returned from Italy a couple of weeks ago and did not report it, did not self-quarantine, and now his wife tested positive and apparently so has he. If true, he may have infected hundreds by himself. We have no chance to fight this.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
They had to close one of the largest hospitals in Warsaw indefinitely because one of the doctors returned from Italy a couple of weeks ago and did not report it, did not self-quarantine, and now his wife tested positive and apparently so has he. If true, he may have infected hundreds by himself. We have no chance to fight this.
Wow, what a cnut.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We have our share of morons here as well.

I guess that's just how their parents raised them. What's ironic is that idiotic behavior from their kids might have bigger consenquences on them, and not to their kids who might not even show any symptoms, and olders could end up hospitalised sooner because their idioitc kids infected them.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I guess that's just how their parents raised them. What's ironic is that idiotic behavior from their kids might have bigger consenquences on them, and not to their kids who might not even show any symptoms, and olders could end up hospitalised sooner because their idioitc kids infected them.
Just Taser him/them and chuck them in an "idiots prison"

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Comments like this that are patently false are some of the most damaging bits of fake news you could see online right now.
https://www.ft.com/content/249daf9a-67c3-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

The latest evidence suggests that 30 per cent of patients admitted to hospital with Covid-19 will need critical care in an intensive care unit, he said. Previous estimates, based on experience with viral pneumonia, were too low.

Critical care bed demand would be eight times capacity after mitigation measures were applied, and around 30 times capacity in both the US and UK in an “uncontrolled epidemic”.
You're welcome. No need for an apology.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
On the FT site - I'd monitor the US, UK, and India curves closely in the coming days. The lack of testing in India and the US should make global numbers soar in the near term imo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The more I read, the more I get irritated by the behavior of the mobile 65+ brigade. They are not taking it seriously despite the nations doing their best to protect them. Wtf are wrong with this group?

Withnail

They did the same in Ireland last week, when school closures were announced. Turns out there’s only so much people can panic buy and the supplies keep on coming. You can expect shelves to look less and less bare as the days go by.
Yeah I was in Lidl just now in Ireland, I wasn't sure whether there'd be queues but it was grand and they had most stuff in stock.

I couldn't get chicken breasts or rice but there was loads of whole chickens and pasta.

Obviously still can't get hand cream or sanitiser for love nor money.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
On the FT site - I'd monitor the US, UK, and India curves closely in the coming days. The lack of testing in India and the US should make global numbers soar in the near term imo.
India closed its border far earlier than most of the countries. They have recently did sample testing of flu patients in cluster zone and all of them were negative. Also temperatures are touching 40c which according to few studies have shown that it reduced ROI of the virus.

But I agree, it's quite stressful situations. We won't be able to contain because of the large population if it goes out of control. Prime minister is going to address the nation in 1 hour and rumour is everything is going to be shut down till March 31. Atleast non essential stuff.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
The more I read, the more I get irritated by the behavior of the mobile 65+ brigade. They are not taking it seriously despite the nations doing their best to protect them. Wtf are wrong with this group?
Was in Morrisons early doors this morning and a woman in that age group wiping her nose with her hand and then back on the trolley.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Day off today from work, think I needed it. So to reflect on a stressful working week:

Moved to ED at the start of the week to triage suspected corona patients for one day. Only had about 13 patients that came in but admitted none into hospital. Wasn't very busy in ED overall even though they had a few self isolating staff, quite clear people were staying away from the hospital. Needless to say, no tests were done. I suspect at least 1 I saw had it but we sent that person home. My PPE was a joke, only normal apron, gloves and face mask.

Went back to work in my usual area, acute medical on Tues and Wed. Total nightmare. Very short staffed, loads are isolating or being moved to the newly established corona areas. Very unsafe for patients and staff. My area is being treated as a dumping ground for all medical patients to free up ICU for covid-19 patients. All their step down patients are coming to my ward and essentially I have spent two days looking after some very ill patients. Two more HCA's phone in to tell us will be self isolating.

We are constantly being pressured to discharge the medically fit however, over the last couple of days we have found care/residential homes have been refusing to accept their residents back due to fear of covid-19. So essentially we had 48 hours of bed blocking. Thats how long it took managment, bed bureau and discharge team to sort out this mess and some are still refusing. We are having to give food packages to elderly patients being discharged home due to the stockpiling as well. Ambulance transport are short on staff as well so moving people out of hospital is becoming more difficult.

Going back to the dicussion about social isolation, until you have to care and look after those affected by isolation, you will never understand the detrimental complications, mentally, socially and medically it has to a persons' health. It pains me everytime I see an elderly patient come in (all the time), likely demetnia, cardiac failure, acute kidney injury etc etc etc. Most of all, no quality of life, family don't care because they are too busy. It's almost seems cruel to keep these people alive. And do you know what? That's probably 80% of the population of my patients. Some families absolutly disgust me, treating their so called loved ones as a burden and expect the NHS to pick up the flack. They also have the gall to complain about their care whilst they have probably done nothing for them since kicking them into care homes and visiting them once a week.

We have limited visitors to one 'key' individual per patient, its all over the hospital coridoors and ward areas yet families of 3-5 are coming up during visiting hours (also restricted). I've had two instances where they have argued with me on this and I have to explain it's to decrease the overall traffic of the hospital for infection control yet they think it's overly excessive and that the whole family has the right to visit their loved ones.

So essentially, front of house (ED and ICU) is rather quiet, they even had nice deliveries from fast food chains and had time to enjoy a snack. Whilst the wards are desperatly trying to find staff and keep patients safe. It's getting silly now. The NHS managment and governement have got no handle on this situation what so ever. I have colleauges crying in the staff room and others just wanting to quit altogether. T

Sorry for the wall of text, this is how I de-stress from work and not go insane. Rant over.
No need to apologize mate. Thank you for the work you're doing and know that you're posts are always welcome here.

Wow, what a cnut.
They need to put in place very harsh penalties for those who are willfully ignoring protocol and endangering lives. I'm guessing if this guy was fined a quarter of his annual wage, or faced prison for that willful ignorance he wouldn't have found it necessary in the slightest.

clarkydaz

its not just kids, there was a clip a few days ago with drunk brits in Benidorm refusing to comply aswell. We are fighting a virus and idiocy combined

The Firestarter

Its not always parents fault. When the child goes to college their reasoning can change dramatically.

Dr. Dwayne

Yeah I was in Lidl just now in Ireland, I wasn't sure whether there'd be queues but it was grand and they had most stuff in stock.

I couldn't get chicken breasts or rice but there was loads of whole chickens and pasta.

Obviously still can't get hand cream or sanitiser for love nor money.
I picked up a pack of toilet paper yesterday. There wasn't much and a limit of 2 per customer but I only needed one. I'm in Toronto.

Deery

Dreary
Met a old man about 75 bouncing down the street this morning happy as Larry, I know there’s nothing wrong with that but it took me by surprise.

Rajma

We just opened Coronavirus drive through points for those who want to test themselves in Lithuania. Really like our proactive approach in tackling this virus.

Dr. Dwayne

They need to put in place very harsh penalties for those who are willfully ignoring protocol and endangering lives. I'm guessing if this guy was fined a quarter of his annual wage, or faced prison for that willful ignorance he wouldn't have found it necessary in the slightest.
We are already working from home but I told my boss that I was going to have a high risk contact this week.

The Firestarter

The amount of medical professionals underestimating this is truly frightening. Everyone thinks they are the most knowledgeable in the world and everyone else is "overreacting".