SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Some semblance of normality is returning so.

We've still not opened a pack we bought before this whole thing kicked off and we're a family of three.

How much did people think they were going to use :lol:
There are people who bought 100s of them. Maybe they're hiding in bunkers for months now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
How many times do we need to reemphasise this? No government, and certainly not the UK one, follows and sticks to a single model or paper. Multiple models from all the best sites in the UK are constantly being rerun and analysed. Governments are going to adjust their strategy every time new lessons and fresher, higher quality data is available. No shit that that will likely save lives. No government in the world, especially those who handle this most successfully, will have done so by selecting a plan early on and then tunnel-visioning into it and not adjusting as necessary.

Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, knows all the correct assumptions and input data the models need to get the best solutions. The more confident someone is, the less you should trust them. The authors of the Imperial paper themselves were absolutely clear on that. They too will do future research and, some of which will counteract some of their earlier recommendations. I only hope our government continues to factor that into their thinking. They won't be a u-turn either.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The thing ist every nation would like to test more. But in most health systems there is a capacity problem.
Either there are test kits missing and production cannot be ramped up, because ingredients are not available.
Or the laboratory capacity is not enough to analyze the incoming tests
I suspect it's the lesser evil of not having beds to take care of positives people.

It's one thing to test them, but if you have no avenue to treat them upon knowing they're positives there could be social unrest.

If they have 100.000 test kit, they better have 20.000 beds at least, and another 5000 extra NHS staff.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
They did the same in Ireland last week, when school closures were announced. Turns out there’s only so much people can panic buy and the supplies keep on coming. You can expect shelves to look less and less bare as the days go by.
I hope so mate. we are running low on nappies and baby formula :(

Nogbadthebad

How many times do we need to reemphasise this? No government, and certainly not the UK one, follows and sticks to a single model or paper. Multiple models from all the best sites in the UK are constantly being rerun and analysed. Governments are going to adjust their strategy every time new lessons and fresher, higher quality data is available. No shit that that will likely save lives. No government in the world, especially those who handle this most successfully, will have done so by selecting a plan early on and then tunnel-visioning into it and not adjusting as necessary.

And as has been explained to you before

They KNEW it was wrong before they did it.

Here is the Editor of The Lancet explaining this. Again.

Jack-C20

Anyone here give blood? I’m due to on Wednesday and as far as I know it’s going ahead. Surely as it’s organised by the NHS it’ll be as risk free as possible. I’m pretty relaxed at the minute but I just want to make sure I’m not doing more harm than good. I’ll ring beforehand but just curious if anyone has done it recently?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone feeling a bit down over this should check out this inspiring video of these regular cool young people singing this totally iconic and never annoying song. Everything’s gonna be ok people!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've just checked my pantry. All pasta I have (Buitoni, Barilla) is 100% made from grains. What the hell is "fresh" pasta? Pre-cooked presumably?
Fresh pasta is what I am saying is home made pasta that we all will be learning how to make!

Josep Dowling

On the one hand I look at these hoarders and breakers and am utterly disgusted by the callous self serving nature of them. On the other hand it's no secret that we live in Tory/Trump land so it's sort of ingrained, to be outraged is to be not really paying attention.
Why turn it into a political thing? I’m sure there a voters of all parties bulk buying. They’re mostly likely scared and stupid.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Anyone feeling a bit down over this should check out this inspiring video of these regular cool young people singing this totally iconic and never annoying song. Everything’s gonna be ok people!

I'd have sexual intercorse with gal gadot

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Been waiting for this take:

DVG7

Just lost a mate over this. He was in New York from Friday until yesterday, went to all the pubs he could and managed to get home late last night. Today, Snapchat of him in aldi.

what a fecking moron, and this someone I’ve gone on lads holidays with.

Red_toad

Same as the under 25 group.
Same as people from all age groups. Ageism is rife on this thread. When all the over 65’s are all dead who will take the blame?
Shops here are packed full every morning, hardly anyone uses free trolley, no social distancing, just masses of people of all ages after yet another bogroll or anything they need several of in case it runs out.
Cant wait for the schools to close then there will be masses of board kids roaming the streets.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Just lost a mate over this. He was in New York from Friday until yesterday, went to all the pubs he could and managed to get home late last night. Today, Snapchat of him in aldi.

they say you are who your friends are.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

When idiots organise a flash revolution.

Edit.. looks like this is a few days old before the French lockdown. They're still morons though.

Last edited:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

Sounds like he deserved to die...sorry for your loss.

White text

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As I thought, the quarantine period is going to be extended here in Italy, and restrictions may be tightened.
https://www.thelocal.it/20200319/it...ntine-period-beyond-april-3-and-tighten-rules
The problem Italy has got is that flattening the curve, once you have already gone way past the point that healthcare systems can cope,
is simply not enough. You’re still drowning that point. I think a lot of countries will find that at some point. I do not know have far you can go with restrictions and for how long.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nigeria now has 12 cases. 10 of them in Lagos. Think we on the verge of a catastrophe.
The country had only one case, this time last week. It had over a month to shut its borders.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Sorry for the wall of text, this is how I de-stress from work and not go insane. Rant over.
Thanks for sharing.

I'm somewhat terrified of what I'll find if they do call me to the hospital.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, knows all the correct assumptions and input data the models need to get the best solutions. The more confident someone is, the less you should trust them. The authors of the Imperial paper themselves were absolutely clear on that. They too will do future research and, some of which will counteract some of their earlier recommendations. I only hope our government continues to factor that into their thinking. They won't be a u-turn either.

No science is right but some science is clearly wrong. You need to have a long hard think about why our government chose the riskiest possible advice rather than listening to the scientists who have successfully tackled it in China and South Korea. The answer, as always, is bias. They liked the results so they assumed it was correct even though the assumptions were flawed at a basic level as the majority of scientists pointed out.

Dave_MUFC

It's honestly really starting to grind on me, with everything going on in the country, that our employers are STILL requiring us to come in when we can completely work from home. Why are so many unnecessary risks being taken for zero value added...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's honestly really starting to grind on me, with everything going on in the country, that our employers are STILL requiring us to come in when we can completely work from home. Why are so many unnecessary risks being taken for zero value added...
Probably the need to micromanage you because I can't imagine there much financial benefit in doing so.

No science is right but some science is clearly wrong. You need to have a long hard think about why our government chose the riskiest possible advice rather than listening to the scientists who have successfully tackled it in China and South Korea. The answer, as always, is bias. They liked the results so they assumed it was correct even though the assumptions were flawed at a basic level as the majority of scientists pointed out.
The UK is not China and it's not South Korea. To blindly listen to others would be a huge mistake. There is no other country with the same makeup of health services, population and cultures. And no scientist or expert you have seen in the media knows what they all are unless they are employed by the government and given access to that information, and even then some things are just an unknown. Good modelling relies on proper inputs and a constant adaptation of those inputs in response to new information. That seems to be exactly what the UK has done.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Are you in Peru? You live there right? Are you trying to get back to UK or staying out?

My sister is one of those stuck out there. She is a doctor who was doing a research project in Puno, so it's just not a case of travellers not following advice as in that response above. They tried to change their scheduled flight (from May) earlier in the week and travel to Lima for it, but before they could get there the flights were cancelled and they are now stuck in lockdown back in Puno.
Yes, I'm in Lima but I haven't got my resident visa yet and I suspect things like that will a lot longer than usual.

I am happy to hunker down here for now. But maybe not a few months down the line if things turn ugly.

Foxbatt

My bro in law is a very senior doctor in the NHS. He says the government has no clue or is spinning this. They are told to treat it as pneumonia but this is not pneumonia.
He says it's going to be disastrous for the UK. All should listen to what China eventually did to control it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They had to close one of the largest hospitals in Warsaw indefinitely because one of the doctors returned from Italy a couple of weeks ago and did not report it, did not self-quarantine, and now his wife tested positive and apparently so has he. If true, he may have infected hundreds by himself. We have no chance to fight this.
Does this mean he would have had it a couple of weeks without showing any symptoms or feeling ill? And now they’ve found out he’s got it. So how long do you have this before you even show any illness?